• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes in a game you go, "I wonder if I could do this" or "I feel compelled to do this for no reason whatsoever". Let's talk about those times.

1) In Pokemon Yellow, as a kid, I got through that super dark cave you're supposed to use Flash in - without using Flash. I just spent loads of times bouncing off the walls and feeling my way through. Why? No reason. Just because.

2) In The Witcher III, I made it my mission to light every candle/brazier/torch I came across when in caves/dungeons. Why? Again, absolutely no reason. I guess to make the place look like someone had been there, or something.

3) In Perfect Dark (N64) I did the opposite and shot out every light that was possible to be shot out

Last edited:

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
I like to cut the grass everywhere in a zelda game - get villages looking nice and neat

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I love RPGs , and I love to overlevel . But some games over levelling makes very little difference . So yeah , I just like the act of seeing my level go up , often pointless

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I've been doing your 2nd thing in AC Origins. I don't know why either, but it's just weirdly satisfying.

Red Cyclone

Oct 27, 2017
For JRPG's I have to speak to every NPC, even when the dialogue is incredibly mundane I have to know.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In Minecraft survival mode, I add consistent building foundations and structure everywhere I build, even when the blocks will never be seen. Even if it is a throwaway hut to survive a single night in a place I will never use. All of my structures have these useless building "codes". It wastes dozens of hours, but I am compelled.

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I always do an emote to every Npc in souls games as a greeting or as a way of saying bye :P (Bonus when they react back to it)

Valahart

Oct 25, 2017
1) In Pokemon Yellow, as a kid, I got through that super dark cave you're supposed to use Flash in - without using Flash. I just spent loads of times bouncing off the walls and feeling my way through. Why? No reason. Just because.

I was a kid, I didn't speak english, I had no idea flash was a thing. So, for 10 years worth of playthroughs I would just go through that cave in the dark. Me and my friends all memorized the path. My mind was blown when I replayed it as a teenager and I learnt about flash. I was so unsettled I got lost lol

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
2BIDb8X.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Beating regular battles in JRPGs before it reaches the main part of the battle theme.

Sometimes it's hard, but sometimes it's easy when battle themes takes approximately 3.7 hours to get to the main part like in FFXIII

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I always do an emote to every Npc in souls games as a greeting or as a way of saying bye :P (Bonus when they react back to it)

Yeah, I do this too. Also whenever im going to talk to an NPC I'd like to position myself in a perfect way, so it fits, my friends hate this because it can take me minutes before I even talk to npc; they always yell to me,JUST GO AND TALK TO THE GUY GEEZ.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I almost always play through the first set of games in a generation with all 6 of my Pokemon being completely new. Sometimes its easy(I had a rotation of like 20 Pokemon in Black, there was way too many to choose), and sometimes I want to punch a hole through a wall(Starter, Talonflame, aegislash, Tyrantrum, and uh shit I ran out of new designs that I like)

Dragoneye

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The United States of America
Whenever I get a new gun in any shooter I usually unload a bit into a wall the second I get it to see what kind of recoiling i'm dealing with, even if say in the next room the game will give me living target practice.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Drive "properly" in open world games with cars, don't hit anyone, don't go off-road, don't cross red lights, don't hit other cars.

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
Go out of my way to make numbers, any kind of number, as round as possible. If I'm level 39 in an RPG and need to kill a boss, I'll never not grind to 40 before entering the boss room; if I have $3155, I absolutely need to make it either 3100 or 3200 before doing anything else - even better if I can make it 3000 or 3500.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
When I was young I used to imagine that my Playstation was an AI, that would judge me based on my performance of arbitrary tasks. So I would always try and play as skillfully as possible, often assigning odd objectives like not touching the floor in platformers, and things like that, with an intent to impress my sentient Playstation 1/Gamecube etc.

I guess a good example would be playing Super Mario Sunshine, trying to navigate the town without touching the ground, bouncing on the residents.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I love trying to come up with solutions to levels or tasks that might be outside the box, just to see if the game will let me.

In GTA 4, in one of the first missions (possibly the first? I can't remember) where you chase a guy out of a restaurant resulting in a car chase, I decided to retry the mission because I thought "What if I could drive round to the back of the restaurant before triggering the chase and block his car in in the car park so he can't drive off?"

I was quite pleased with my plan until after the cutscene I noticed that the game had made my car auto-disappear and he drove off as normal.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
In X-Plane I pretend that there really are passengers in my airliner and wait for the flight attendant's safety announcement (generated by a plugin) to end before commencing down the runway for take-off.

It wastes about 30 seconds of my life every time.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
I'm incredibly guilty of this.

Open world driving: I always try to park properly, within the lines, and in parking spots that seem appropriate for an easy getaway after the mission is over.

Also, if there's clothing options, I always change clothes for the occasion or mission, stats be damned. And in between missions, if I'm saving my game in a home type hub, I always change in a lounge or casual outfit before quitting.

SpitfireKit

Oct 27, 2017
I love trying to come up with solutions to levels or tasks that might be outside the box, just to see if the game will let me.

In GTA 4, in one of the first missions (possibly the first? I can't remember) where you chase a guy out of a restaurant resulting in a car chase, I decided to retry the mission because I thought "What if I could drive round to the back of the restaurant before triggering the chase and block his car in in the car park so he can't drive off?"

I was quite pleased with my plan until after the cutscene I noticed that the game had made my car auto-disappear and he drove off as normal.

Yup, the laundromat mission.
Tried that as well. :)