• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon Detective Pikachu has achieved a record breaking $58 million opening weekend, positioning it as the highest ever achieved by a video game movie.

Here's what box office guru and Rogaine advocate Forbes Contributor Scott Mendelson has to say:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...-nabs-record-58-million-weekend/#28afffe73681

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu opened with solid $58 million this weekend. That gives it a promising 2.8x weekend multiplier, even as it earned 9.8% of its opening weekend (slightly high for a kid flick) on Thursday night. Yes, I was hoping it would break out bigger, and yes the soft-ish $41 million opening in China raises an eyebrow or two, but Legendary and Warner Bros.' $150 million-budgeted comic fantasy just scored the biggest opening weekend ever for a video game movie. It earned $11 million more than the $47 million launch, in 2001, of Angelina Jolie's Tomb Raider.

Mod Edit: Latest numbers

Highest grossing weekend? Check.

Highest rated ever? Check?

Potentially highest grossing overall? Double check baby.

We eating tonight boys and girls.

tenor.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Also means they broke even with the actual budget of the movie right ?

Since International is 170m, and budget was 150m.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a good first movie. They definitely could do a lot better though. Maybe a movie where the pokemon dont talk.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great start.

Holy shit at that $450 million budget though!!

Is that the most expensive movie budget ever?

Dec 23, 2017
Like I said hopefully it has legs. It's mother's day weekend. Lots of moms are taking there kids to the movies. Avengers is still big. They should have launched at different time.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I mean sure if you compare it to other video games movies because all have been stinkers. Still it's nothing to write home though.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Metal Gear and Last of Us are probably not going past 25 million OW, sorry game nerds

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Great start.

Holy shit at that $450 million budget though!!

Is that the most expensive movie budget ever?

Endgame's budget (not including marketing and such) was 356M. Detective Pikachu's (not including marketing and such) was ~150M. Endgame's marketing was also orders of magnitude bigger than DP, so no, $450M (200-300M P&A) estimated total budget isn't that big at all. Movies are expensive.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Also means they broke even with the actual budget of the movie right ?

Since International is 170m, and budget was 150m.
Not yet. You generally gotta double it to account for marketing and you count international sales less because of how you divvy up the money for international rights.

500M to hit profit and make it worth thier while sounds about right.

Nov 27, 2017
California
marketing costing like $150 million is insane 0_o
I would think 10 million max, I would skip printed media all together and focus on social media
Unless promoted posts on youtube, twitter, facebook costs millions?

Decent opening but its got a long way to go

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I get the feeling the merchandise sales alone could result in another live action hybrid being greenlit, but maybe not by Warner Bros. It's pretty much everywhere and I'm sure TPC is gonna see a massive boost in revenue.

Really, they should have released it during the summer vacation months.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No; actual budget when you account for marketing and such was ~450M. With strong legs, it will probably barely break even or be a small loss.

The rule of three also takes into account the fact that movie theaters get a bigger cut of revenue as the weeks go by. A movie with a 150 million budget needs to make about $450 to break even, but that doesn't mean they spent that much money.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Endgame's budget (not including marketing and such) was 356M. Detective Pikachu's (not including marketing and such) was ~150M. Endgame's marketing was also orders of magnitude bigger than DP, so no, $450M estimated total budget isn't that big at all. Movies are expensive.
I dont think we can accurately predict how much money DP may make or lose. For example, the merchandising sales seem to be pretty big. Either way, I dont see this movie being a huge money maker or loss. It should do enough to hopefully open the door to more pokemon titles in this style with a better script/concept.