• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Let's say Masuda is doing Let's Go Johto. I guess that means that Iwao is doing the Sinnoh remakes? At least we won't have to sit through Barry telling us about the power of friendship for 2 hours before we can leave Lake Verity.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe because his armour will look different? Who knows.
But why would only that be changed and hidden? I mean, he doesn't even use it a lot in the movie. It feels weird to me to tease something and have an unique name for it like it's an official form.

After Megas in Origins and Ash-Greninja and Perfect Zygarde debuting in the anime I feel like they'll keep revealing new forms outside of the games.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Thanking about it, the only reason I wouldn't trust the Armored leak is because the Gimmick doesn't seem to signify Armored Pokemon. If that was the case, I would see the Japanese logo having something like the mega evo symbol instead of the Galar Football league logo. In fact, I think with the DNA Helix and the dual mystery armored mewtwos, its gonna be Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Mewtwo Y armored. The movie promo is gonna be the gen 8 mythical

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Let's say Masuda is doing Let's Go Johto. I guess that means that Iwao is doing the Sinnoh remakes? At least we won't have to sit through Barry telling us about the power of friendship for 2 hours before we can leave Lake Verity.
Masuda said Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee are the last Pokemon games he will direct.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
But why would you hide it? We know how it looks already and it's not even a huge part of the original film.

Them using the "Armored Mewtwo" name is also a bit suspicious.

I'm gonna say it's because of spoilers. I honestly don't know but still, I don't think it's going to be related to the games. I'd love to be wrong, though.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
But why would only that be changed and hidden? I mean, he doesn't even use it a lot in the movie. It feels weird to me to tease something and have an unique name for it like it's an official form.
Yeah, exactly. Mewtwo in armour only appeared for like three minutes in the original film. Unless something new is going on with it, I don't think there would be any reason to hide it.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium

Well maybe the movie isnt a complete remake then and is alternate timeline thing. Just my speculation but maybe in this version Mewtwo is going to be using that armour in a form. Why would the movie be titled "Evolution"? Perhaps it even goes with the whole Shield theme of defense. I dont know but it is fun to speculate.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ohmori as Director terrifies me. He somehow managed to make Ruby and Sapphire remakes worse than the originals, and Sun and Moon's pacing was laughable.

But maybe he learned his lesson?
I loved ORAS, but yes, SM were a huge disappointment, with the first half being a total borefest. I hope SS are nothing like gen 7.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Sundial in Anistar City says hi haha

I am still pissed off by that, what a waste of a generation as it just felt unanswered.

Ohmori as Director terrifies me. He somehow managed to make Ruby and Sapphire remakes worse than the originals, and Sun and Moon's pacing was laughable.

But maybe he learned his lesson?

Yeah...I am not a fan of Ohmori as a director as he's a terrible for the series as with Sun and Moon, it didn't feel like a Pokémon game as I struggled to bond with my team.

I will give him a chance here but if he messes up, he needs to be taken off the director seat.

Prediction: the movie Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution is not a 1:1 remake, it will showcase the "armored evolutions" of Mewtwo.
Remember, Gamefreak already pulled that kind of stunt by revealing Mega Charizard X through Pokemon Origins. If the Armored Evolution rumor is true, I'd absolutely expect Armored Mewtwo to be in the new movie.

Indeed, also as a reminder;

M16_English_poster_alternate.png

The Genesect movie was where we got a first look at Mega, even though at the time we didn't know what it was till Pokémon World Championships where they showed off Mega Lucario and Kangakhan and gave its official name.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like SM much more than XY and ORAS. It has actual world building and characters. I also felt like the way they integrated the legendary/event Pokémon in the world and the story was great -- the trio legendaries are relevant and active in the main plot, the UBs get a whole sidequest that add depth to old and new characters, Silvally is the ace of one of our rivals, the Tapus fit the region perfectly design and lore-wise and are introduced in the story as well. It's really really good and I feel like this may be what Ohmori's good at and I wish to see more of this in SwSh.

That said, while I don't get the dislike people have for the story, I hope they pace it better for them and don't have unskippable tutorials. But yeah, as a single player RPG I think he did a good job. The areas where SM lacked were to me in balancing random encounters (too many gen 1 monsters, too few Alola ones), map design is bad even though the locations and art direction are great, and of course, post-game -- it sucks in this aspect like every game since BW2.

But yeah, imo, SM has a lot of heart and they can improve a lot from that.

They might just want to save the new updated look for the gimmick reveal in the game.
That's my point. They're hiding it because Armored stuff is the new gimmick and the Mewtwo in the movie will be how they introduce it.

Who was the director on Black & White 2? let him do the work
Unno.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It feels like Game Freak rotates Directors through. The next 3 Pokémon games could have 3 different directors.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Unno, the esteemed creator of Garchomp. I wonder what ever happened to him? Black/White 2 were excellent and he kinda got locked in the basement afterwards.

He was Graphics Director on Sun / Moon and a Model Creator on US / UM. I guess he's been on the SWSH team instead than on the LGPE team.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
For those talking about rivals. I think the rival/frenemy should be dropped. Instead, the rival should be part of the villanious team, not the headmaster, but someone that is starting his/her own journey as part of Team [insert name] and grows as a trainer along the protagonist, but through the "evil path" even if at the end he/she turns to the good side.

And the protagonist should have just a partner that can come every once in a while, maybe a sibling or some neighbour.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Someone has to approve of the dozens of useless paragraphs of text you have to sift through in Sun/Moon.
True, true. Ohmori probably told them to write dialogue for which the game puts itself on autopilot every ten steps you take. Hopefully he saw the negative comments about how handholdy Sun and Moon were.

TFW the analysis for the new Pokemon game just revealed a day ago comes before the analysis for the Mario Maker 2 trailer from two weeks ago. Bless Derrick

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Unno needs to do more stuff. The fact that Black and White 2 even exist feels like a miracle.

It was from Iwata's demands of something new and different, but it's such a stark difference from the typical second iteration in a generation.

Last edited:

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
For those talking about rivals. I think the rival/frenemy should be dropped. Instead, the rival should be part of the villanious team, not the headmaster, but someone that is starting his/her own journey as part of Team [insert name] and grows as a trainer along the protagonist, but through the "evil path" even if at the end he/she turns to the good side.

And the protagonist should have just a partner that can come every once in a while, maybe a sibling or some neighbour.
I posted a theory earlier that the villainous team could be an actual sporting team that is competing against you and the rival could be part of said team. With the transformation of Gyms into sports arenas/stadiums in the Galar region, it makes me think that the player will choose a team, or be assigned one based on your version choice, to compete in a more tourney focused Gym journey. Not unlike a season in a football league. Travel Galar representing your team and compete in tournaments at stadiums, in order to qualify to fight the Gym Leader repping an opposition team. The Pokémon League/Elite 4 will be the equivalent of finals.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I posted a theory earlier that the villainous team could be an actual sporting team that is competing against you and the rival could be part of said team. With the transformation of Gyms into sports arenas/stadiums in the Galar region, it makes me think that the player will choose a team, or be assigned one based on your version choice, to compete in a more tourney focused Gym journey. Not unlike a season in a football league. Travel Galar representing your team and compete in tournaments at stadiums, in order to qualify to fight the Gym Leader repping an opposition team. The Pokémon League/Elite 4 will be the equivalent of finals.
Ohmori did say that they are trying new things with these games. This theory would definitely fit the bill. I've always wanted the Pokemon League to be more of a tournament like how it is in the anime, so I'd be down.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gamexplain said there might be two professors. I was literally talking about this before the games were revealed.

Oct 25, 2017

That would be a nice change of pace. Especially if the rival team isn't trying to take over the world, and the stakes are smaller and more personal. Would be cool to travel normally, but at certain story beats you have to meet up for practices, then you have to partake in mini tournaments with the team. Would be a good way to have a lot of fun side characters as well.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon leagues in the games have always been so nonsensical and uninspired so having the stadiums and actual tournaments would be such an improvement. Going through a series of NPCs standing in a line to determine a champion has always been very strange, its almost Truman show like.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

That doesn't sound too crazy and would explain the Olympics-mascot feeling the starters give, especially Scorbunny.

It does seem football as the most obvious choice, because it's the one shown on the video, but what if every gym is based on a sport related to the type they specialize? Like waterpolo for water, gymnastics for fairy?, taekwondo for fighting, etc. and this is more like an Olympics kind of thing.

Off topic, I wonder if we'll see some Posh Spice representation anywhere in the game, or maybe Mr. Bean or something lol