• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
this is what peak pokemon looks like

424ba9f7ac525b4cb19fea120a8664694fb87525_hq.jpg
I want everyone who complained about no Gen 1 mon before the post-game to line up and apologize.

I'm not sure exactly how yet, but I'm pretty sure this is all your fault.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was just told by a friend who is watching a stream that you're limited to only be able to catch Pokemon up to a certain level and if it is above that too bad. So.. if you run across a shiny but it is 1 level above what the game permits you to catch it's a case of "too fucking bad"?

I'm sorry but that is by far the worst game decision they've made, forget dexit, forget the mandatory exp share, you can get to way above the expected level of the area with barely any effort and we're also going to allow Pokemon way above your expected level to show up, but too bad can't catch them because that'd break the game?
I really don't get their design decisions. They do everything to make it easy as possible and even restrict old options which made it harder (but not actually hard) yet catching a pokemon that's one level too high is going too far.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm in the super minority here but I'm still very excited for this. I play games on easy anyway so I'm really looking forward to a chill nostalgia trip. Just hoping for some cool towns and areas to explore. I completely understand those who are disappointed by the lack of difficulty though.
Hope you like corridors

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
If Kat bailey at USgamer is reviewing, she's the most likely reviewer to go scorched earth over things like dexit and the exp share. Everyone else is going to be like "New pokemon, cool!" for the most part

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
god even the music is disappointing me

what the fuck. that was like the one thing i never expected.
Gotta love the same low-quality MIDIs from the 3DS games...

Let's Go had live-recorded music. Why couldn't SwSh?
If Kat bailey at USgamer is reviewing, she's the most likely reviewer to go scorched earth over things like dexit and the exp share. Everyone else is going to be like "New pokemon, cool!" for the most part
Casey DeFreitas is reviewing for IGN. I'd be shocked if she scores SwSh less than 8.5

noakai

Jan 22, 2019
Eevee Serebbi still repeats that statement, along with Dynamax models being wholly original, and not just upscale versions of regular models.

Serebii's site was just used to debut Pokemon merch. People really need to remember that they're basically a PR mouthpiece at this point and proceed accordingly.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Yeah doesn't look like we're ever getting back to highs of the DS era
Platinum
HG/SS
B/W
B2/W2
All in quick succession. Those were the days.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Wait, they're already at the second gym? Fucking lol. I'm so annoyed by everything about this game now.

Also, that gym guy who walked up to them's animations never changed. "Early release footage!" my ass.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Minecraft isn't and for years, it didn't have any kind of tutorial, you would just start the game with nothing telling you the controls, what you are supposed to do, what you can do, etc. It's still of the most popular games among kids ever
They've since made Minecraft more accessible even adding in a recipe book that would tell you what you could craft when you get new material. So yeah not a good example when them making it more accessible might have been a contributing factor to the game getting more popular with kids

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
A lot of the older Pokemon games feel a lot longer because levelling up is slower but the Exp. Share is this game is really going expose just how short it is.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The strong Pokemon in the Wild Area that can't be caught might be shiny-locked, a datamine could verify that.

If they aren't... oh jeez, I can only imagine the frustration.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
You know despite gen 5 being one of my favourites, I've never played B/W2. I might fix that instead of SwSh

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
They've since made Minecraft more accessible even adding in a recipe book that would tell you what you could craft when you get new material. So yeah not a good example when them making it more accessible might have been a contributing factor to the game getting more popular with kids
Hence the "for years" in my post. Minecraft became popular without those accessibility options. They only arrived after MS bought Mojang

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Now I want to see if it's possible to reproduce the first Gym Leader sweep in other games with a freshly caught SE Pokemon.
Not that this is the point, but Brawly in Sapphire can't touch Sableye if you catch one in the cave before the battle. I remember only Astonish hit it, and it's a shit move, so it hit for 3 HP only.

Also, gen V if you use the SE monkey in the first gym.

(Again, not saying the Milo fight was ok, or fine or justifiable. I just have the vivid image of Brawly's Makuhita being unable to touch my Sableye 16 years ago)

Jalen

Dec 18, 2017
IIRC, there are really strong Pokemon in the Wild Area that are meant to be too strong to be caught. (I guess they just swipe the pokeball away when you toss it.) I don't know if they're capable of being shiny, though.
But how stupid is that? You can't catch pokemon too high of a level because it will make the game too easy and the game already looks to be too easy.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm saying Mario fans, and fans of multiple series, showed a willingness to adapt or accept that some things about how they played or preferred to play might get left behind.

And it's a false equivalence because Mario never stopped giving the 2D Mario offering. They never removed beloved features from 2D Mario that had been there from 20 years. They just expanded the company and diversified the brand beyond 2D Mario. Which is something Gamefreak refuses to do.

noakai

Jan 22, 2019
Welp, just got home.
Impressions on what we've seen so far? Positive? Negative?

The guy streaming swept Milo's gym with two Pokemon he had never even used in battle before (they just got leveld up by being in his team) so...not great for some people, Bob. One-shot the first and two-shot the second.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
And it's a false equivalence because Mario never stopped giving the 2D Mario offering. They never removed beloved features from 2D Mario that had been there from 20 years. They just expanded the company and diversified the brand beyond 2D Mario. Which is something Gamefreak refuses to do.

I wasn't talking about the 2D offerings in any of my posts. I talked about different incarnations of 3D Mario only and how some of them came at the exclusion of the other style. But if you want to bring that up, there were two console generations where the only mainline titles were 3D Mario games.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Welp, just got home.
Impressions on what we've seen so far? Positive? Negative?
The Exp. Share keeps every Pokemon at or above the level of every trainer in the game, regardless of if you use that Pokemon or not, the streamer swept the first gym in 3 hits with a Pokemon he had literally not used at all up to that point, that was only leveled up due to Exp. Share, with 0 difficulty.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
In the water gym right now. Those gym trainers being the same npc model does not look great.

Edit: Yes I know Pokemon always reuses models for trainers, but the contrast between this being on an HD console and reusing trainer models really does not look all that great to me.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I wasn't talking about the 2D offering in any of my posts. I talked about different incarnations of 3D Mario only. But if you want to bring that up, there were two console generations where the only mainline titles were 3D Mario games.
I'm really not sure what you're trying to do here by even having this argument, I'm going to be honest. There is absolutely zero way to spin this entire thing as a positive, lol. You're fighting a losing battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.