• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that they confirm better graphics for it. I don't expect the Pokémon models to improve much outside of animation but this reaffirms my theory that Let's Go is probably more of a B-team effort doing a play-by-play recreation, hence the art-style, hence the simple design, levying itself on a gimmick and using assets that fit in line with the original. If Let's Go were the main effort I'd expect a complete top-down rebuild.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Hyped for the slow reveal of the new Pokemon.

If a new Animal Crossing also comes out in 2019, maybe alongside a 2D Mario or Zelda, I'll be glued to my Switch.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
Hopefully this means that baby first gameplay can stay on the Lets Go games and they can finally make a pokemon game with a challenging campaign and no hand holding.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
They'll already have bought the console, and the console is itself solid so I doubt they'd just up and leave.

I'd not saying they would get rid of the Switch. More so that if they are buying Let's Go for "ohh the 151" there isnt any real promise that they will all buy Gen 8.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I bet we will have to wait until May of next year for a full reveal. That's usually how TPC handles things. However, for various reasons, they've been talking about this one much earlier. I wonder if they will do a longer hype cycle by revealing it sooner or if they'll still go for the six month reveal-to-release window.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping for another Gen 5 soft reboot.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bet we will have to wait until May of next year for a full reveal. That's usually how TPC handles things. However, for various reasons, they've been talking about this one much earlier. I wonder if they will do a longer hype cycle by revealing it sooner or if they'll still go for the six month reveal-to-release window.

It will be much sooner than May. Expect a February/March reveal, and batch of infos alongside the year.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
If it's Gen VIII, I could maybe see an Early 2019 announcement since X and Y got a reveal trailer in January 2013 and Sun and Moon got an announcement trailer in February 2016. I could see them waiting to show gameplay (and even announce the titles) until around May 2019, though, since they probably wouldn't want to step on Let's Go's toes so quickly.

I think the main reason we're getting a bit of info this early is because the developers figured Let's Go would have a mixed reception among longtime fans and likely a worse reception if we didn't know a more traditional mainline entry was on the way next year. A lot of people would probably be livid if all was knew about was Let's Go and it sounded like Let's Go was the sole future of the mainline series.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For someone who hasn't played Pokémon since Silver does this mean the original 151 aren't involved?
No. However with Let's Go being released this year and it limiting you to only the original 151 hopefully it means none of the original 151 will be available until after you beat the game.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
PR disaster for certain people who didn't think this was the case, or that TPC/Nintendo were managing Nintendo badly.

Yeah, they did drop the ball on that one with Let's Go a bit...
WUChJNG.jpg

This is ignoring that Pokemon has never before entered top-tier production values AAA development, whereas the others have.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For someone who hasn't played Pokémon since Silver does this mean the original 151 aren't involved?
They always are available in every Pokémon game. Not all of them, but almost - including the popular ones. Gen 1 has always the biggest presence besides the new and sometimes even eclipses it, like what happened in SM.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017

For a new gen i expect a Feb reveal. So they can show off new Pokemon throughout the year like they did with S/M and X/Y

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
This is ignoring that Pokemon has never before entered top-tier production values AAA development, whereas the others have.

it might be worse than the "western game protagonists" meme picture, but I bet it lets people feel like they have an acquired taste. Extra amusing that the new 3ds Xenoblade port looks comparable to X2 in that low res image.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They'll already have bought the console, and the console is itself solid so I doubt they'd just up and leave.
There not going to leave but their not going to get Gen 8 either.

If even a quarter of new people brought in or back by Let's Go by Gen 8 I'll be honestly amazed.
Sadly I'm not that lucky. The original 151 will be there just like they always have.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
it might be worse than the "western game protagonists" meme picture, but I bet it lets people feel like they have an acquired taste.

It is accurate though. One serie has been barely evolving on some aspects for 20 years.

PR disaster for certain people who didn't think this was the case, or that TPC/Nintendo were managing Nintendo badly.

Would be nice if it entered at least AA production values. Because neither Zelda or Xenoblade 2 are "top tier production values AAA".

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
will have better graphics than any prior Pokémon game, that it'll be completely new and not like Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu & Let's Go Eevee and states that it will contain many brand new Pokémon.
This is good to hear. How good would it look? We will have to wait becuase I dont trust gamefreak even for a second, but gamefreak really needs to start going into making a game that looks and feels presentation wise like it was released in a home console the last 5 years at least.
Just ask for help to Monolithsoft if needed. I dont even need a complete open world, semi open wold, as big areas separated by routes could still be cool.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice if it entered at least AA production values. Because neither Zelda or Xenoblade 2 are "top tier production values AAA".
I thought I read Breath of the Wild needed to sell two million copies to break even which sounds closer to AAA to me. At the very least, it seemed to have a fairly large development team.

Xenoblade games definitely aren't AAA, though, with Tetsuya Takahashi calling them mid-tier in terms of budget. I believe Monolith Soft is roughly the same size as Game Freak, as well.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I can see there being new 151 pokemons and you not being to catch old pokemon till post game like BW.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just ask for help to Monolithsoft if needed. I dont even need a complete open world, semi open wold, as big areas separated by routes could still be cool.
I would prefer to have Monolithsoft making their own games instead of wasting time with Pokémon. GF has enough time and money to make something good, if it looks bad that's all on them.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
It is accurate though. One serie has been barely evolving on some aspects for 20 years.

Obviously it's not accurate, gen 9 will be their first game on the same playing field. Did you expect S/M to have BOTW-level graphics?

Just because they're not peak doesn't mean they're top tier. Yes, obviously that'd be great, but do remember the size of Game Freak as a company. The level of production we're seeking wont be reached for perhaps two generations yet.

Xenoblade games definitely aren't AAA, though, with Tetsuya Takahashi calling them mid-tier in terms of budget. I believe Monolith Soft is roughly the same size as Game Freak, as well.

They're miracle workers if that's the case: as the art style outclasses most AAA RPGs that I see.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just because they're not peak doesn't mean they're top tier.

Yes, obviously that'd be great, but do remember the size of Game Freak as a company. The level of production we're seeking wont be reached for perhaps two generations yet.
Pretty sure they have more people working on Let's Go than MonolithSoft had working for Xenoblade 2.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

None of the other games were handheld exclusive games from a series that had only ever been handheld, so im not sure how this makes any sense as a comparison.
Not only that but they're from some of the most talented first party devs that Nintendo has, and its placing low resolution .jpgs next to each other to make this disingenuous argument (but it does make X2 look pretty comparable to Xenoblade on 3ds so I guess they wanted Monolith to look lazy?)

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm curious about what new features they will keep, like no random encounters

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously it's not accurate, gen 9 will be their first game on the same playing field. Did you expect S/M to have BOTW-level graphics?

Just because they're not peak doesn't mean they're top tier. Yes, obviously that'd be great, but do remember the size of Game Freak as a company. The level of production we're seeking wont be reached for perhaps two generations yet.

No, graphics in S/M were fine. What wasn't was the world design, which is still built like a 2D RPG. We had bigger worlds on PS2.

None of the other games were handheld exclusive games from a series that had only ever been handheld, so im not sure how this makes any sense as a comparison.
Not only that but they're from some of the most talented first party devs that Nintendo has, and its placing low resolution .jpgs next to each other to make this disingenuous argument (but it does make X2 look pretty comparable to Xenoblade on 3ds so I guess they wanted Monolith to look lazy?)

Right, but a lot of handheld titles were better done. Dragon Quest VIII existed on 3DS.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Yuck, really dissapointing to hear that their first legit attempt at opening up the game and bringing it forward to match with more current tech will have world populated by gen 8 pokemon and not the original set.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Right, but a lot of handheld titles were better done. Dragon Quest VIII existed on 3DS.

Square Enix are pretty huge too. Its just a lazy meme picture no matter how you spin it. Side by side would be the games native resolutions and framerates, and S/M did run at sub 10fps at times.
They're not pushing the switch like other studios but I think it looks nice and runs smoothly.