• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yuck, really dissapointing to hear that their first legit attempt at opening up the game and bringing it forward to match with more current tech will have world populated by gen 8 pokemon and not the original set.

Pokemon is about exploring to new Unknown places and discovering new Pokemon. You don't get that if its the 151 you already know about.

Besides, they'll probably throw in like 60 Gen 1 Pokemon anyway despite releasing a game with only them the year before.

Johnny

Oct 28, 2017
We're getting the best of both worlds then. A remake of Yellow in a few months and a new generation next year. I like how they emphasise the better graphics. Not that they matter a ton to me, but it's good that they're aiming for higher production values.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
When they say better graphics, are they talking gen 4 to gen 5 and gen 6 to gen 7?

Because if its that kind of leap (better art style, polish, lighting, animations, sense of scale) then my expectations are already set. I honestly do not believe game freak will blow people away with gen 8's fidelity.

Its gonna basically look like Lets Go but with the improvements between entries i just mentioned.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reading through this thread, it sounds like some people actually expect GF to come up with 2 different engines.

I mean you never know..

That's the point yeah? It started development before LG was even a thing, and yeah it's definitely possible to create a new engine.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
That's the point yeah? It started development before LG was even a thing, and yeah it's definitely possible to create a new engine.

I know this is a flawed logic, but if that engine has been around for so long, why not use it for let's Go too?
Unless this is said engine already.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon is about exploring to new Unknown places and discovering new Pokemon. You don't get that if its the 151 you already know about.

Besides, they'll probably throw in like 60 Gen 1 Pokemon anyway despite releasing a game with only them the year before.
I think bringing back the original would be the best option, no games in the series have been as interesting, exciting or even as good as Red/Blue and Gold/Silver.

The series has added countless new pokemon, mechanics, attributes, items since yet it was always that simplicity that drew me in and made me care. I would still be up for adding additional new areas, pokemon and making sure that the advancements since are not ignored but make sure that your first step revives the pokemon that most people cared about when they discovered it for the first time.
This will sell gangbusters anyway, just believe it would be a great move that the first step into a full blown console RPG had gone back to the originals and then move to whichever generation of pokemon people clamor right now.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really hope having the Let's Go series of games allows them the freedom to give players a little more challenge in the traditional series, in both map design and trainer AI.

Hard mode? Please?

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Agreed. I love the designs of gen 6 and 7 mons (especially 6) and am very hopeful for gen 8.

Love new monster reveals.

Yep they're the best part about new Pokémon games.

I think bringing back the original would be the best option, no games in the series have been as interesting, exciting or even as good as Red/Blue and Gold/Silver.

I don't think you've played any Pokémon game after gens 1 & 2 if you think this is the case.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Never ceases to amaze me how people in Pokemon threads have no idea how opinions work

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Not news though.

Remember that Lets Go was supposed to show a new poke?

Anyway, I hope at least the graphics and artstyle is different from Lets Go.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

The series has added countless new pokemon, mechanics, attributes, items since yet it was always that simplicity that drew me in and made me care. I would still be up for adding additional new areas, pokemon and making sure that the advancements since are not ignored but make sure that your first step revives the pokemon that most people cared about when they discovered it for the first time.
This will sell gangbusters anyway, just believe it would be a great move that the first step into a full blown console RPG had gone back to the originals and then move to whichever generation of pokemon people clamor right now.
So let me get this straight, it's not enough that Let's Go is Gen 1 focused, this one has to be too?

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Yep they're the best part about new Pokémon games.

I don't think you've played any Pokémon game after gens 1 & 2 if you think this is the case.
I have played quite a few of them, I am not saying the new ones are bad or that some of the advancements are not welcome. I believe that the Pokemon designs became weaker and weaker, the narrative more and more inconsequential and it felt like I was just going through the motions as the pokemon company kept releasing incremental upgrades to the series with every installment.

The fact that it has taken, what now 20 years for them to decide to make the jump to a full blown 3D world on consoles is just the more laughable and baffling. This should have happened a long time ago.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I have played quite a few of them, I am not saying the new ones are bad or that some of the advancements are not welcome. I believe that the Pokemon designs became weaker and weaker, the narrative more and more inconsequential and it felt like I was just going through the motions as the pokemon company kept releasing incremental upgrades to the series with every installment.

The fact that it has taken, what now 20 years for them to decide to make the jump to a full blown 3D world on consoles is just the more laughable and baffling. This should have happened a long time ago.
You know we got the first 3d pokemon game 5 years ago right?

LOL to the bolded thought.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yuck, really dissapointing to hear that their first legit attempt at opening up the game and bringing it forward to match with more current tech will have world populated by gen 8 pokemon and not the original set.

It's freaking bad enough that I'm not gonna be able to get my favorite Pokémon in Let's Go but now you want them to take them away from the next mainline game?

Several Pokémon games are better then RBY IMO. Black and White are two of them.

Your getting your Gen 1 only games already why do you need more?

Why do you want there to be less options and to takeaway from those of us who are sick of the original 151.
And don't give me any nostalgia rant because Red was my first game too.

And some people gave me crap for using to term Genwunner.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
It's freaking bad enough that I'm not gonna be able to get my favorite Pokémon in Let's Go but now you want them to take them away from the next mainline game?

Several Pokémon games are better then RBY IMO. Black and White are two of them.

Your getting your Gen 1 only games already why do you need more?

Why do you want there to be less options and to takeaway from those of us who are sick of the original 151.
And don't give me any nostalgia rant because Red was my first game too.

And some people gave me crap for using to term Genwunner.
It was just an opinion I was sharing, and what exactly is a genwunner?

Knightywing

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully there will be less Legendaries (including Ultra Beasts) this time around, since Gen 7 had far too many of them.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Wait, am I really reading it right that going back to the original is a desire here, in a game that comes after one where they go back to the original?

I'm close to giving up with humanity

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
but make sure that your first step revives the pokemon that most people cared about when they discovered it for the first time.

But what are those Pokemon?

20 years ago it was Pikachu

250px-Sugimori_025.png

10 years ago it was this guy

5 years ago it was this guy

The most popular pokemon change, not only with time, but also as newer ones are being added. To say "revive the one that people experienced first" is flawed thinking. But all three of them have been a lot of children's first favorite Pokémon.

But only one of those is being advocated for when talking about reviving the past, even though all of them have at leat half a decade on their backs now.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

The most popular pokemon change, not only with time, but also as newer ones are being added. To say "revive the one that people experienced first" is flawed thinking. But all three of them have been a lot of children's first favorite Pokémon.

But only one of those is being advocated for when talking about reviving the past, even though all of them have at leat half a decade on their backs now.
Yep. Many adult players started with Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire, for example

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Not much to conclude from these statements other than the fact that they want to take their time with the mainline release. Which is good.

People with this desire are already getting their dream game this November. GF went as far as to break their rule about the first game of a new console being gen just to offer a Gen 1 only experience as the first home console game. You're basically asking for the second Kanto remake to be immediately followed up by the third.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017

This is a fair point. Should have classified that my opinion was based on the earlier set of Pokemon games, and as you said your first experience with any particular title can vary.

Lets Go and Quest are super underwhelming in my eyes btw. Wish the RPG mainline game was coming out sooner.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
People with this desire are already getting their dream game this November. GF went as far as to break their rule about the first game of a new console being gen just to offer a Gen 1 only experience as the first home console game. You're basically asking for the second Kanto remake to be immediately followed up by the third.
How exactly is a dream game when it looks like an HD version of the 3DS pokemon games we have been getting recently. It is a skip for me.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This is a fair point. Should have classified that my opinion was based on the earlier set of Pokemon games, and as you said your first experience with any particular title can vary.

Lets Go and Quest are super underwhelming in my eyes btw. Wish the RPG mainline game was coming out sooner.
Let's Go is a mainline RPG that returns solely to Gen 1 to the point of excluding everything that came after