• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let's Go has messed up so much of Bulbapedia since they use it as the "base now".

Like Mega Drain and Giga Drain are the same moves because the former is as powerful as the latter in LG and the latter isn't in the game.

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Long shot but can anybody help me out with my living dex? Last two I need are Poipole and Deoxys. I have looooooads I can offer; shinys, legends, a couple 6IVs. I'll have a look through what I have tomorrow

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've started White now, and coming from Platinum, this is much more of a grower. The art style is a lot harder and less colourful, and the move from sprites to models makes everything more pixellated (Castelia especially looks like ass). I'm glad I still have my DSi XL, because the resolution change on a 3DS makes it look even worse.

The QOL changes though, oh man. It's no physical-special split, but it really feels like they put a lot of thought into how they could improve the daily annoyances in the game without compromising on the game's spirit.
Reusable TMs is truly a game-changer, as is the removal of mandatory HM usage. And no field poison damage! The battles also feel much faster and more streamlined.

Long shot but can anybody help me out with my living dex? Last two I need are Poipole and Deoxys. I have looooooads I can offer; shinys, legends, a couple 6IVs. I'll have a look through what I have tomorrow
I can't help with Poipole, but I can dig out my ORAS Deoxys for you if that works.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Theory question...how broken would a Pokemon be that had an Ability that gave it priority on "thief moves"---namely Thief and Knock Off?

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
Not even sure this is the right place to ask this and the Sun and Moon thread seemed super dead. I missed out on the shiny tapu bulu distribution (had a code and just didn't check it till now and it expired :'(). So, my question is this: Does anyone have an extra they'd be willing to trade? Not super hopeful on this as you only get one per game cart, but I figured I'd ask. I could just go on ebay, but those all seem pretty fake :'( Though, honestly, I guess I don't care too much if its fake, but I want the data to actually be correct. For example, some of these listings get the OT wrong or something else.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Dang my newphews (7 and 9) got into playing the older Pokemon games it it is quite fun for me. They talk my ear off about so many things. Even with minecraft which is something I loved a lot back when I played it. They haven't done it with Pokemon yet though. My threshold is too high.

My 7 year old is not quite as strong of a reader as I would have thought so he was very excited about it when he was first playing it, but hasn't gotten too far yet. Not sure what age kids are supposed to be able to read decently, but he's been on more scheduled reading time from his parents recently so I guess he'll get up there.

My 9 year old is dumb far into it though. (Leaf Green & Fire Red btw) 7 badges. It took him forever to find surf. I was really reluctant on helping him out. At some point I gave him a clue telling him to focus on the "later cities" and to read what people were telling him to do. For a while he thought that meant to check the earlier cities. Eventually I refocused him to what I actually meant, he figured out about the perosn telling him there was something in the safari zone. Then he had trouble getting through the safari zone. I was super reluctant to help him, but one day I was over and about to leave, and I was just like whatever I'll sit with him and help him remember dead end paths before I get out of here. When he got to the end, he started running around the house in excitement. At least he's still getting that sense of accomplishement, so that's good enough for me.

Also one really funny thing he did to get surf was leveling up Lapras, which is so funny because that's something I tried to do when I was 8-9 years old playing blue version. I remembered surf taking me a long ass time to find, but I had completely forgot that was something I tried until he told me about it lol.

It's really cool that young kids can still really enjoy those games even though they're pretty old/out of their generation. I've seen quite a few comments suggesting it would be a bad idea to start a little kid out with an older one. The only reason they are is because they were the easiest ones I could give them since I already had the games.

It's cool that they'll have this persepctive and be able to appreciate the games on this level. I think their current gaming habits lend themselves to not finding those pokemon games particularly antiquated. Mostly what they play is minecraft & roblox, with some lego games mixed in, and a few other things. And on their tablets they're always playing these random tablet games, or bootleg pokemon games they come across, so I figure having an older pokemon game to play on handheld would be an upgrade in some sense when compared to much of the stuff they are used to.

I was a bit worried of how they'd see regular old pokemon games like FR & LG after having played creations of Pokemon games on roblox. Maybe they'd just prefer the 3Dness of roblox and not care to play pokemon with sprites from a top/down perspective, maybe they would get "spoiled" by all the freedom it gives you in choosing any random Pokemon that you want, including starting you off with legendaries... That was a big concern of mine indeed, but just the last time I saw my nephew, he mentioned the large variety of Pokemon you can chose in the roblox game, and said "you can start off with legendaries, but I don't want that. It's kinda boring" (or something like that, I'm paraphrasing). And I was like dangg this boi is woke.

Oh and the Pokemon anime is fun to relive as they watch it. They basically watched all of X&Y, that was a while ago. I know they've seen a bunch of Kanto episodes too, but I guess their young age perception of time & memory caused them to forget about a lot of things, so lately it's like they've been having this little reseurgence, + perhaps more knowledge on how to go to some of the older series and watch them in a proper order. Last time they were over, they were using on demand and watching the first episode of different seasons, and I told them that the regions/generations don't completely correspond to the seasons. Then they just asked me what season the generations started on (which I had to look up) and they were watching the first few episodes of multiple gens, just to see they startered and what it was like and stuff. (This is mainly coming from my 9 year old, my 7 year old was watching too but he was more just along for the ride... Though my 7 year old understood my whole season to generation explanation way quicker than my 9 year old did which made for some funny moments)

All they had seen were a bunch of Kanto, all of X&Y, and some amount of Sun and Moon. 2-5 was pretty dang nonexistent for them in terms of the show. Those seasons seem much more hidden/hard to find than the other ones? Anyway at some point my 9 year old said he liked the other ones but wanted to focus on getting through Kanto first and then the others. Which is nice, It'll be interesting to see how far he actually gets though with that episode count. Also how the fuck did this post get so long

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Hatched this fella recently

RnLbeBM.jpg

Gonna try for shiny Mareanie next, red Toxapex looks amazing

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So...is pokemon lets go a good entry point for the series?

Last game i played was ruby back when i had a portable, and lets go seems to be different enought...
Or maybe i buy something for the 3ds?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Well its been god knows how long, but we finally have a resolution to Black's absence in the manga.
He was living in the Dream World this whole time. The crazy bastard actually did it and managed to write into the manga the existence of the Dream World, which is apparently where Resihram and Zekrom go to when they revert back to stone form.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I was searching GTS for a few things I wanted, and a number of people want Rufflet for legendaries. Why is this?

Also, is it possible for me to get Zeraora or Marshadow through GTS or Wonder Trade on Moon (not ultra)?

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Also, is it possible for me to get Zeraora or Marshadow through GTS or Wonder Trade on Moon (not ultra)?
Marshadow, yes - there was an event in late 2017 for SM to get it.

No luck with Zeraora, though, it's USUM-exclusive. I don't think the data's even in SM.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
So...is pokemon lets go a good entry point for the series?

I honestly think UltraSun/Moon would be a better option than yet another remake of the first gen, because it offers an amount of variety and actual plot that's kind of missing in the first gen -- plus, Team Skull is awesome.

But I also think if you get bitten by the Pokemon bug after US/UM, you should check out Let's Go as well.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Does anyone have a gen 6 Hitmon they would like to trade me? Any member of the Hitmon family. These buggers are annoyingly difficult to get after gen 4.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Part of me is tempted to get back into the TCG. How is it, these days?
Same as always, I'd say. Prepare to drop money if you want to play at a high level of the competitive scene. But otherwise, much cheaper than MtG if you aren't planning to go into the big leagues. Like, currently there's this broken (as in, so bloody cheap you can play blind) theme deck of Charizard called Relentless Flame (that's like $13 on Amazon). If you get two of these and a couple of other cards you'll have a serious deck to use on local tournaments and it won't cost you a house.

Also, you can try it out online with the free game for Windows PC or iPad (and I think Android tablets too?). You get matches super fast and can try out different ideas. If anything, this is probably a good time to get into the TCG because there's a new rotation, thus cards from the last two years or so are now being taken out and with a smaller card pool available it's easier to invest into the current meta.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to drop big money to do well in the TCG.
Decks under $50 can still do well.

I play Whimsicott GX/Tapu Lele (confusion), and my most expensive card in the deck is Jirachi, which is around $11. The whole deck would be under $50 if I didn't have all my Full Arts.
It can still make top cuts in Challenges and Cups.

Stuff like Weezing spread is even cheaper.

PhoenixSFT

Oct 25, 2017
Superior, CO
Is there anyway to check on Pokémon Bank without a DS? I have a 3DS that's registered to my wife's Nintendo ID, but not one that's registered to mine. I don't want to reformat so I get rid of her ID because that'll erase her Streetpasses.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of surprisingly decent finished pokemon fangames out there thanks to Pokemon Essentials. It runs like shit but makes it easy.

Any you guys would recommend?

Already got Insurgence, Solar Light/Lunar Dark, Island and Reborn downloaded.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Bitten by the Pokemon bug lately, completed a Kanto living dex in Let's Go and finally finished the UB quests in Moon.

Now I want to do a second playthrough of X/Y, which I haven't touched since release.

Any ideas for fun Gen 6 Pokemon to use? I'm going to use Chespin and Fennekin for sure but my other 4 slots are open. Ideally I'd like to use Gen 6 Pokemon I haven't used before so Aegislash, Pangoro, Heliolisk, Talonflame are out.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not overly annoyed with the Sword/Shield news from this week as it's helped me with my long-put-off plans to get my dex up to the more recent releases.

Most of my work will involve getting Gen 4 types over to Gen 5 via the slingshot mini-game. Are there any special things to watch out for before I do this? Which of the 3DS family of games should I use as a mustering point?

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Most of my work will involve getting Gen 4 types over to Gen 5 via the slingshot mini-game. Are there any special things to watch out for before I do this?
Use the Move Deleter to clear out any HMs first, since they can't transfer.

(However, if you're attached to a move like Defog or Whirlpool which is only a HM in either DPP or HGSS, you can trade across and transfer it up from the game where it isn't a HM.)

Which of the 3DS family of games should I use as a mustering point?
The only way to get your Pokémon from Gen 5 to Gen 6 is though Bank, so I think most of us use that as our central Gen 6 hub.

Oct 25, 2017
The only way to get your Pokémon from Gen 5 to Gen 6 is though Bank, so I think most of us use that as our central Gen 6 hub.

Yes, I've been working on it for a while myself. X/Y have the bulk of my collection. It's the one-way path that I am worried about, I purchased White 2 as a means to get my Gen 4 mons through to Gen 6

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I've been working on it for a while myself. X/Y have the bulk of my collection. It's the one-way path that I am worried about, I purchased White 2 as a means to get my Gen 4 mons through to Gen 6

I'd try to minimize the number of Pokemon you need to transfer from gen 4 and even gen 5. It's a tedious process. You can get pretty much every Pokemon in XY and ORAS. I think it's more fun to catch Pokemon in those games than to transfer them from gen 4. I'd only transfer Pokemon that were particularly rare (Shiny, Mythical) or ones that I'd invested in (perfect IV, EV trained). Everything else, just recatch in Gen 6.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Hi Pokémon Community!
I've been thinking about getting back into Pokémon. Grew up with Red/Blue and Gold/Silver. I think I've played some GBA titles as well but can't remember which ones.

Which title on the DS or 3DS would you recommend?
I'm looking for a challenge and little to no hand holding if possible.
Edit: I'm also not interested in side activities like dressing your pokemon up or stuff like that.

Last edited:

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Which title on the DS or 3DS would you recommend?
I'm looking for a challenge and little to no hand holding if possible.

The final 3DS game, UltraSun/UltraMoon. It has good balance between new and old, lots of stuff to do, good music.

In alternative, if you don't mind a bit more rough experience, Gen 5, Pokemon Black/White is brilliant. Good story, only new Pokemon, a great farewell to the 2D era.

Both are amazing and you can't make a bad choice. In fact, try both.

P.S: to increase the challenge, go to settings and change the option that says Switch to Set, then disable Exp Share in key items (doesn't apply to B/W).

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Finally reached Alola on my run through the regions in order run that I started in January. Then I get a nice break until Galar.

Or I decide to finally beat Let's Go Eevee. One of those options.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The final 3DS game, UltraSun/UltraMoon. It has good balance between new and old, lots of stuff to do, good music.

In alternative, if you don't mind a bit more rough experience, Gen 5, Pokemon Black/White is brilliant. Good story, only new Pokemon, a great farewell to the 2D era.

Both are amazing and you can't make a bad choice. In fact, try both.

P.S: to increase the challenge, go to settings and change the option that says Switch to Set, then disable Exp Share in key items (doesn't apply to B/W).
I remember that exp share was an item that you gave one pokemon and it would get some experience even not fighting but it didn't increase the total experience gained. Seems more like a quality of life item to me. Unless the functionality was changed in newer games?

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Hello, I have a rocky history w Pokemon.

Loved Blue, didn't play a Pokemon game until Black 2. I really didn't like that game and sold it as it really bored me. I was sad because I loved blue growing up and figured Pokemon maybe wasn't for me anymore. Got X for cheap later down the line and I liked it! Didn't love it and thought it was okay. But then I got Alpha Sapphire and loved it to death. I like immersion when it comes to Pokémon. I love catching them so the Dexnav, sneaking up on Pokémon and truly feeling like a trainer. going through an areas list of Pokémon and seeing there were Pokémon there I hadn't gotten yet made me a straight up addict. I wouldn't leave an area until I acquired all of them!

Then I got Sun on day one with the hope it'd expand the amazing Alpha Sapphire. It didn't. I didn't even get halfway.

Given all I've written does it sound like I'd like Sword/Shield? My record with Pokémon is spotty. I don't want to get Sword/Shield if it just disappoints me. I need more ORAS.

Thanks for reading!

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, I have a rocky history w Pokemon.

Loved Blue, didn't play a Pokemon game until Black 2. I really didn't like that game and sold it as it really bored me. I was sad because I loved blue growing up and figured Pokemon maybe wasn't for me anymore. Got X for cheap later down the line and I liked it! Didn't love it and thought it was okay. But then I got Alpha Sapphire and loved it to death. I like immersion when it comes to Pokémon. I love catching them so the Dexnav, sneaking up on Pokémon and truly feeling like a trainer. going through an areas list of Pokémon and seeing there were Pokémon there I hadn't gotten yet made me a straight up addict. I wouldn't leave an area until I acquired all of them!

Then I got Sun on day one with the hope it'd expand the amazing Alpha Sapphire. It didn't. I didn't even get halfway.

Given all I've written does it sound like I'd like Sword/Shield? My record with Pokémon is spotty. I don't want to get Sword/Shield if it just disappoints me. I need more ORAS.

Thanks for reading!
I don't know what to tell you. Your tastes don't match anyone I've ever seen in the fandom lol

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I did the same thing in Alpha Sapphire, but then I did the same thing in Sun and loved it there.
Can you explain why the experience was different for you?

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017

Kinda glosses over the postgame content which is what most people point to, but it is mentioned. They do a good job going over the improvements to the story. Most of the points I'd give in favor to ORAS are just by virtue of it being a newer game.

FR/LG and HG/SS did a much better job of enhancing and building upon the foundations of the games they were remaking, IMO.

Last edited:

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019

Kinda glosses over the postgame content which is what most people point to, but it is mentioned. They do a good job going over the improvements to the story. Most of the points I'd give in favor to ORAS are just by virtue of it being a newer game.

FR/LG and HG/SS did a much better job of enhancing and building upon the foundations of the games they were remaking, IMO.

Haven't played G/S or HG/SS.

And don't care about post-game.

Post-game is pointless to me as a 30 year old adult. When Blue came out it was great because you could battle friends during lunch break. Now? I don't give a fuck.

I just want a great single player experience. The other Pokemon games have boring single player campaigns whereas ORAS doesn't.

I'm not a Pokemon diehard at all and haven't been one since I was 13-14 with Blue. It seems only the diehards care about post-game.