• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Haven't played G/S or HG/SS.

And don't care about post-game.

Post-game is pointless to me as a 30 year old adult. When Blue came out it was great because you could battle friends during lunch break. Now? I don't give a fuck.

I just want a great single player experience. The other Pokemon games have boring single player campaigns whereas ORAS doesn't.

I'm not a Pokemon diehard at all and haven't been one since I was 13-14 with Blue. It seems only the diehards care about post-game.
I'm not talking about competitive battling, I'm talking about single player content that's available after becoming champion.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
If DexNav was the main thing, I think the experiences in the Wild Area could illicit a similar feel.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Black 2/White 2, or HG/SS if you consider Kanto postgame.

I quit Black 2 after the insect gym. I sold the game after that. I was really bored while playing it which is why a good main game is big for me. I won't care about Post-game if I find the main game to be boring.

I've been meaning to get Soul Silver.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I quit Black 2 after the insect gym. I sold the game after that. I was really bored while playing it which is why a good main game is big for me. I won't care about Post-game if I find the main game to be boring.

I've been meaning to get Soul Silver.
Many people consider Black/White to have the strongest story of the mainline games, so you could try that. I don't know if you'll like it though.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Made a separate thread, but in case you guys miss it there, this is absolutely worth checking out.

So I just discovered one of the most amazing sites ever.

Dr. Lava's site is the only English site, that I'm aware of, that's translating these Nintendo Dream interviews detailing the conception of the many Pokémon.

This specfic interview breaks down every single Pokémon from Unova/5th gen.
Other parts focus on the Pokémon that were scrapped, and so much more.

Absolutely amazing stuff

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I forgot that evolutions caused by stones prevent Pokemon from learning new moves by themselves. Now my Arcanine is stuck with garbage attacks ._.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys!

I was wondering if there were enough artists here on this community to try and make a ResetERA pokedex. It would be cool i think!
We'd have to start with Kanto's #151 and then move on with the rest if it's successful enough.

Anyone likes the idea?

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Battle Factory in Gen IV is impossible.Win 50 times in a row with rental pokemon? I know that the more you trade your pokemon the better the next set of six you can pick from will be, but that's about it.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Damn that's a neat idea. Count me in if you do that.

I'd love to organize it but i don't know if there's enough artists interested enough to make it.

The fandom from my country organized one, they finished gen 1 to gen4 and it's amazing. If you want to check it out it's Here

The Battle Factory in Gen IV is impossible.Win 50 times in a row with rental pokemon? I know that the more you trade your pokemon the better the next set of six you can pick from will be, but that's about it.

Funny you mention it, i wanted to wash away the bad taste Sw/Sh has left me so i started the battle factory on HG/SS and shit is hard lmao. Max streak i did was like 17... i was so close to the first match with thornton.

It gives me pokemon showdown vibes, btw hehe.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
yFolWFM.jpg

Caught this yesterday. One of my favourite shinies.

I'm going for shiny Xerneas next but the wormhole mini-game is super annoying, haven't even been able to get to Xerneas yet.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Finally completed my living Alola Dex which is 403 Pokemon in the Ultra games. Looking at my Daily Records it taken me 91 hours in Ultra Moon, 34 hours in Sun and 31 hours in Moon to do it and using the GTS for a few of the Pokemon that either require to complete the game again like the exclusive UB or catching them in game is just a pain like Dratini. The Ultra versions are definitely the best made Pokemon games so far, everything loads quickly and there's plenty of Pokemon to catch. It also looks great with only occasional slowdown during 2x2 battles, I went back to X/Y briefly and its amazing how grainy those games look in comparison. it's just a shame the islands themselves don't change like the worlds do in other sequel / third games in generations so despite some story changes it does feel very samey and more like a finished version of the previous game than something new.

The only 3DS Pokedex I have left to complete is Hoenn. I never liked the original release of Ruby/Sapphire but the Emerald release at least made them slightly more enjoyable with a much better interface and a decent amount of new content. But the ORAS games just remind of how much I hated the orignals. I'm probably force myself to play them because I like to complete all of the Pokemon games but for me they are the biggest duds in the mainline series.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good resources out there for figuring out which designers are credited for which Pokemon, preferably sourced? The best I can find are a handful of scattered forum posts and the like, but it doesn't seem like there's any dedicated sites for this type of thing - even Bulbapedia seems to have a number of gaps. Obviously, the information that's out there is incomplete since it's entirely sourced via interviews and the like, but I was wondering if there's someone I've overlooked who's been compiling it.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good resources out there for figuring out which designers are credited for which Pokemon, preferably sourced? The best I can find are a handful of scattered forum posts and the like, but it doesn't seem like there's any dedicated sites for this type of thing - even Bulbapedia seems to have a number of gaps. Obviously, the information that's out there is incomplete since it's entirely sourced via interviews and the like, but I was wondering if there's someone I've overlooked who's been compiling it.
The most comprehensive list with sources, however we may never know the full list because it seems like some of the designers don't want people to know. We (Helix Chamber) were attempting to figure out who made what sprite in Gen 1 but after the revelation that some Pokemon completely changed design and possibly artist, that process became too complicated and also impossible after Gen 1.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The most comprehensive list with sources, however we may never know the full list because it seems like some of the designers don't want people to know. We (Helix Chamber) were attempting to figure out who made what sprite in Gen 1 but after the revelation that some Pokemon completely changed design and possibly artist, that process became too complicated and also impossible after Gen 1.
Ah, okay. Thank you!

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So, in January, fed up with how Let's Go Eevee played, I started to play Yellow instead. This then turned into me going through all seven regions in order, without repeating Pokemon.

3d3fb4635327e3c479312a9d972eaa85.png
b49197f6115090f1469688a88c9f4c8a.png
f22de4419f5f40b7465cb60b7959b28b.png
57224db5a016ca692df09ad577d9dedb.png

I think my best team was in Kalos.

And now, I rest until Sword & Shield come out in November.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Hey PokeEra, I was wondering what your favorite Pokemon Movies are? For some reason I have this intense desire to watch Pokemon movies lately, lol. I've only seen the very first one back then in the theater so almost everything after that is unknown to me. A quick Netflix search brought up the Pokemon I Choose You one and since Ho-Oh seemed to play an important role in it (I love Ho-Oh!) I decided to watch it and... was disappointed 😅.

(Marked as spoiler just to be on the safe side)
The story was mediocre, the setting was uninteresting, some characters were annoying or bland and Marshadow's role felt kind of shoe-horned in. Also, Team Rocket was the single most pointless addition to the movie ever, all they did was "blasting off again" for the n-th time.
There are so many movies at this point so at least one of them has to be good right? What are your favorites?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Hey PokeEra, I was wondering what your favorite Pokemon Movies are? For some reason I have this intense desire to watch Pokemon movies lately, lol. I've only seen the very first one back then in the theater so almost everything after that is unknown to me. A quick Netflix search brought up the Pokemon I Choose You one and since Ho-Oh seemed to play an important role in it (I love Ho-Oh!) I decided to watch it and... was disappointed 😅.

(Marked as spoiler just to be on the safe side)
The story was mediocre, the setting was uninteresting, some characters were annoying or bland and Marshadow's role felt kind of shoe-horned in. Also, Team Rocket was the single most pointless addition to the movie ever, all they did was "blasting off again" for the n-th time.
There are so many movies at this point so at least one of them has to be good right? What are your favorites?

I really like The Power of Us

If you like the first, try 2 and 3.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I really like The Power of Us

If you like the first, try 2 and 3.
I'll check out The Power of Us, heard good things about that one too! And yep, 2 and 3 were the ones I also gravitated towards. 3 in particular looks really interesting.

How's the Deoxys one? And were any of these movies on Netflix at one point?

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, here we go...

GOOD POKéMON MOVIES - THE DEFINITIVE LIST
  • The Power of One
    • Probably the best localisation a Pokémon movie ever had, gorgeous music, and an epic scope
  • Celebi-Voice of the Forest
    • Great music again, half-decent plot, and fun character interactions
  • Lucario and the Mystery of Mew
    • Intriguing story for the universe, well-told, and with striking moments of tone and emotion. Also, the Regis are GREAT in this
  • Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea
    • I mean... kinda? The substance of this is not the best, but the specifics have to be seen to be believed, with a final action sequence that is the most batshit thing the franchise has ever served up
  • Giratina and the Sky Warrior
    • Makes good on the concept of Giratina better than the games ever did, and Shaymin is a delightfully terrible little prick
  • Diance and the Cocoon of Destruction
    • A film of well-worn tropes, but rarely done better than this- maybe the most archetypal of all Pokémon movies
  • The Power of Us
    • A better-drawn cast of characters than the movies have ever attempted, and it is a gorgeous film. Completely disconnected to anything else happening in movies or anime, but uses that freedom to tell stories which would not be possible in the old format
How's the Deoxys one? And were any of these movies on Netflix at one point?
The Deoxys one is fun enough- nothing world-shattering, but worth a go if you generally like Pokémon movies.

Not sure about Netflix, but the Pokémon Company has the Pokémon TV app for smartphones and tablets which has a rotating selection of movies (I believe that the Lucario movie is up at the moment) along with a large chunk of the anime episodes.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if someone else posted this, but I think Lionsgate still has the distribution rights for movies 4-7, so you'll never see them through official services like TPCi Twitch streams and Pokemon TV.

Lionsgate released the four movies on DVD, but that was a while ago.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Ooh, here we go...

• The Power of One
    • Probably the best localisation a Pokémon movie ever had, gorgeous music, and an epic scope
    • Intriguing story for the universe, well-told, and with striking moments of tone and emotion. Also, the Regis are GREAT in this
    • I mean... kinda? The substance of this is not the best, but the specifics have to be seen to be believed, with a final action sequence that is the most batshit thing the franchise has ever served up
    • Makes good on the concept of Giratina better than the games ever did, and Shaymin is a delightfully terrible little prick
    • A film of well-worn tropes, but rarely done better than this- maybe the most archetypal of all Pokémon movies
  • The Power of Us
    • A better-drawn cast of characters than the movies have ever attempted, and it is a gorgeous film. Completely disconnected to anything else happening in movies or anime, but uses that freedom to tell stories which would not be possible in the old format

The Deoxys one is fun enough- nothing world-shattering, but worth a go if you generally like Pokémon movies.

Not sure about Netflix, but the Pokémon Company has the Pokémon TV app for smartphones and tablets which has a rotating selection of movies (I believe that the Lucario movie is up at the moment) along with a large chunk of the anime episodes.
Wow, thanks for your informative post! Some of these sound promising, I think I'll start with The Power of One. I'm looking forward to The Power of Us, a lot of people seemed to like that one. Can you use Pokemon TV over a browser, or does it only work via the app? The website only links me to iTunes and Amazon.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I've been reworking my idea for a battle mechanic for a "fan game", thoughts?

PokeSouls

Basically, this is kind of like "summons" or "spells" that the Pokemon Trainer themselves kind of use. Effectively, it gives you access to up to six additional moves per battle. The Pokemon still use the moves themselves, but the Trainer has their own set of PokeSouls for each fight that any of their Pokemon can utilize.

There are 54 PokeSouls. They're divided into the 18 Types, and then divided down further into ranks---1-Star, 2-Star, and 3-Star. Using the "Soul Driver" Device, you can equip per battle up to six-stars worth. So, six 1-Stars, three 2-Stars, two 3-Stars, or a combination. Each PokeSoul grants access to a basic Elemental Type attack that does either 40, 60, or 80 damage. You select a Physical or Special move in the Pokemon's arsenal to determine the Damage Category, but unlike Z-Moves nothing else about the base move matters. This is known as a "Soul Burst", and once per turn any Pokemon on your field can utilize. Effectively, this gives your entire team extra coverage. Here's more details:

Soul Burst

Once per turn, a player with a non-sleep/non-frozen Pokemon can activate a Soul Burst. By choosing one of their PokeSouls, this allows the Pokemon to utilize the corresponding Soul Burst.

A Soul Burst's Type is based on the Type of PokeSoul, which means that by using a Soul Burst a Pokemon can potentially use ANY Type of attack. If the Pokemon is of the same Type as the PokeSoul, they'll gain STAB, though the point of Soul Burst is to typically allow Pokemon access to a Type of move they wouldn't know otherwise.

A Soul Burst's Base Power is based on the Rank of the PokeSoul. 1-Star is 40BP, 2-Star is 60BP, and 3-Star is 80BP. Soul Bursts ignore negative changes to the user's Attack or Special Attack. They also ignore Abilities and Items that activate in response to moves, be it the user using the move or the target being struck by a move. For example, if Dewpider uses a Water Soul Burst on Sandygast, Water Bubble wouldn't increase the power of the move, nor would Sandygast's Water Compaction activate. However, if Sandygast already had a Defense buff due to Water Compaction previously, the buff would still be taken into account. Electric Soul Burst wouldn't activate Lighting Rod as that's an Ability that "activates", but a Pokemon with Levitate would dodge Ground Soul Burst since that Ability is passive. Of course, this mechanic would probably need to be examined in terms of working with Abilities and Items on a case-by-case basis.

A Pokemon channeling a Soul Burst also must know a Physical or Special move. This is called the "Medium Move". The actual effect of the move doesn't matter, but the Physical/Special category must be chosen to determine if the Soul Burst is Physical or Special. So, if Tepig uses Electric Soul Burst, it could choose between Tackle and Ember for instance. Tackle would make it an Electric Physical move, while Ember would make it a Fire Special move. The damage and Type of the Soul Burst is the same regardless of what move is chosen, this just determines Physical or Special. A Medium Move must have atleast 1PP to be selected, but can be selected ignoring the effects of Disable, Cursed Body, Choice Band, Etc.

The turn order is decided as usual based on Speed. HOWEVER, if both players use a Soul Burst, a Soul Clash will occur. In this case, the user with the higher Star Rank will go first regardless of Speed. In case of the same Star Rank, Type advantage determines the order. So if Player 1 uses Fire, and Player 2 uses Water, Player 2 would go first. Immunities count as winning---so Ground beats out Electric---and in the case of a tie, like Dragon vs. Dragon, Speed is once again the factor. Normal is unique. Since Normal doesn't have any Type advantages, it will always win out in a Soul Clash unless up against Ghost. In that case, it's a tie as Ghost and Normal don't effect each other.

Soul Bursts ignore the accuracy check, and will only miss if the Pokemon is using Fly, Dig, or Dive and off the field. Protect/Detect/Etc. won't fully block the attack, only reduce the damage to 50%.

Mega Souls

Mega Pokemon are also incorporated into the Soul Driver, through Mega Souls. Now to Mega Evolve, you insert a Mega Soul into the Soul Driver in the center. You can only have one per battle, so choose wisely. You can Mega Evolve once per battle, HOWEVER once your Mega Evolve you lose access to the other PokeSouls. So do you wait and use the PokeSouls first, or Mega Evolve? Though Mega Pokemon don't need to hold Mega Stones, when they Mega Evolve they temporarily lose their Hold Item for balance, though before Mega Evolving they can freely make use of the Hold item and PokeSouls for additional strategies.

How I Imagine This In PVP

I'm not a competitive player, and I thought of this idea first-and-foremost as a single-player mechanic. But I think the idea of basically giving each player a "universal" set of spells all their Pokemon could use might be interesting.

The way I see it working in PVP, every player would have access to all the PokeSouls at the beginning of each battle. You'd see the Pokemon Teams, and then the players could construct their PokeSoul load-out to best counter the opponent---and then when the battle begins, you could see what Type of PokeSouls the other player has, and they could see yours, so it adds an extra layer of "do I use this now, or is he planning to use his" to the game---and of course I'd imagine it's a mechanic you could switch off since it isn't "baked in" to the Pokemon themselves.

And in 2-Out-Of-3 Matches, it'd be even cooler to then readjust the PokeSouls based on what moves you saw the opponent use to cover your weakpoints.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Let's Go Eevee seems to be easier than I thought it was. Giving it another go just because I'm waiting for other games to come out, and I'm already four badges in.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Got a box set of the Pokemon Adventures manga arriving today after watching a compelling video on the series on YouTube , it sounds amazing.

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Long shot but anybody got a Shiny Poipole from the event they could possibly part ways with? Been watching the SM anime, fell in love with it and decided I have to have it 🙃 Got a load of things I could give you in exchange

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
I am contemplating buying a full set of Pokemon games for the 3ds era. I have one half (except ultra) of each release, but I was mostly wondering if it's worth getting Moon (I have Sun ATM) and also US/UM or I could skip it?

I know besides exclusive Pokemon some games have story differences (maybe just ORAS?). Was wondering if the differences between Sun and Moon more or less translate to the Ultra versions.

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
I don't usually post much in these parts but saw this, thought it was cute, and wanted to share it somewhere.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
POKEMON GO....

It's been 3 month and stlll no sinnoh stone... this is fucking unfair!

Also i think i just lost 10 kilometer, the sync didn't work... and it has to happen during the water festival... uuuugh

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Was there any reason for Diancie, Hoopa and Volcanion to have the OT names Hope, Harry and Helen?

Marshadow and Zeraora have Mt. Tensei and Fula City as their OT which are the locations their films are set so I get those, but I'm lost what the previous mythical set are referring to.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
lance_adventureszuja7.png

Just saw this image of Lance and its so beautiful. I hope the King of Dragons gets released in Pokemon Masters while I'm still playing.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I've not played Pokémon properly since Y came out, so I'm probably forgetting something obvious, but are there any items useful for not fully evolved Pokémon other than Eviolite? Or just anything that would be good to use on my Popplio, because he is perfect and I'm not going to evolve him.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Haven't played G/S or HG/SS.

And don't care about post-game.

Post-game is pointless to me as a 30 year old adult. When Blue came out it was great because you could battle friends during lunch break. Now? I don't give a fuck.

I just want a great single player experience. The other Pokemon games have boring single player campaigns whereas ORAS doesn't.

I'm not a Pokemon diehard at all and haven't been one since I was 13-14 with Blue. It seems only the diehards care about post-game.

The single-player doesn't have to be over just because the credits roll. What comes after to me is really what drives home how great the game is tbh, because it's something that the game doesn't expect you to do and places no restrictions on you but when you start the postgame and it's great, it feels extremely gratifying.

Postgame can and usually does mean single-player experience when it comes to Pokémon. Exploring Kanto in HGSS (GSC had technical limitations) did more to help the world of Pokémon than anything that's come since. There's a region with a history that's moved on from Red/Blue's story three years ago, and you can feel it everywhere you go. It's not perfectly balanced from a gameplay standpoint, but that's not the main thing I look for in Pokémon games. It's about the adventure.

Similarly, Sinnoh's sizeable postgame island makes the entire world of Pokémon feel so much bigger, and Sinnoh is already the most massive region alongside Hoenn.

Even a game like Black 2/White 2 felt huge to me because there's so much to that game that's optional because of how much they added to Unova from Black/White to make it a fully-fledged sequel. Obviously, that game depends on you playing Black/White first to really enjoy it.

When you don't have a postgame, or really sizeable optional content outside of the main story, the world of Pokémon just feels like set dressing for stories that on their own really aren't great.

Ooh, here we go...

• The Power of One
  • The Power of Us

The Lucario movie is really good and has an awesome setting. I like Heroes for the same reason and felt like Latios and Latias perfectly fit that location instead of just invading it like so many other Legendary Pokémon where the Pokémon themselves are always too much of a focus.

I saw some pretty good fanart from Lownine for it. He's a really good artist when it comes to depicting scale in the Pokémon world and adds a touch of believability to his artwork.

Last edited: