• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
The single-player doesn't have to be over just because the credits roll. What comes after to me is really what drives home how great the game is tbh, because it's something that the game doesn't expect you to do and places no restrictions on you but when you start the postgame and it's great, it feels extremely gratifying.

Postgame can and usually does mean single-player experience when it comes to Pokémon. Exploring Kanto in HGSS (GSC had technical limitations) did more to help the world of Pokémon than anything that's come since. There's a region with a history that's moved on from Red/Blue's story three years ago, and you can feel it everywhere you go. It's not perfectly balanced from a gameplay standpoint, but that's not the main thing I look for in Pokémon games. It's about the adventure.

Similarly, Sinnoh's sizeable postgame island makes the entire world of Pokémon feel so much bigger, and Sinnoh is already the most massive region alongside Hoenn.

Even a game like Black 2/White 2 felt huge to me because there's so much to that game that's optional because of how much they added to Unova from Black/White to make it a fully-fledged sequel. Obviously, that game depends on you playing Black/White first to really enjoy it.

When you don't have a postgame, or really sizeable optional content outside of the main story, the world of Pokémon just feels like set dressing for stories that on their own really aren't great.

The Lucario movie is really good and has an awesome setting. I like Heroes for the same reason and felt like Latios and Latias perfectly fit that location instead of just invading it like so many other Legendary Pokémon where the Pokémon themselves are always too much of a focus.

I saw some pretty good fanart from Lownine for it. He's a really good artist when it comes to depicting scale in the Pokémon world and adds a touch of believability to his artwork.

When I was a kid and I got all the badges I was dedicated to getting all the Pokémon and I did. I don't have an urge to get over 700 Pokémon. I find that ridiculous number.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
When I was a kid and I got all the badges I was dedicated to getting all the Pokémon and I did. I don't have an urge to get over 700 Pokémon. I find that ridiculous number.
I usually fill out like 30% of my Pokédex. I'm not compelled to do any of that either. I just like exploring, and postgame content is the most rewarding to me since it feels like self-guided exploration.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Pokémon White 2 being played right now on Games Done Quick. I'm reminded how damn good this game is.

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

The unique music for each gym, changing music during battles, and the speed of combat really stands out.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this kind-of belongs here:

It's Movie Week on Strictly Come Dancing!

And they've just revealed the song choices!

ovSf0WP.png

...I cannot for the life of me work out how to get a Paso out of that. Possibly a Tango...

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Okay, random question:

In gen IV, does using Thief on a trainer's item let you keep it? I just used it on a Blissey in Platinum that has a Rare Candy but I don't think I got it (I should have counted my Rare Candies before the battle). I'd try again but getting to Blissey is a bit of a pain (you have to fight five trainers in a row).

EDIT: Nevermind, I should have checked my Crobat's held item. Got it! Anyway, Platinum is as excellent as ever.

Oct 25, 2017
I need to fast Track my Sun play through before the release of Sword/Shield.
What are the essentials I need to go cover in the post game?
Vanilla version, not ultra, I just activated Nebby I think.

ThAbuja!

1 gift from SuperNHG64

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from SuperNHG64 SuperNHG64!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

SuperNHG64 said:
Code is redeemable in any EU/AUS/NZ gen 7 game. Enjoy!

These are our awesome prizes:

• 3DS 3DS: EU Shiny Solgaleo/Lunala code - Won by Defflin Defflin (9 entries)

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
So uh, I missed out on Dusk Lycanroc for USUM and Reset SM which had the launch Munchlax. I don't remember if I can get the latter ever again, but does anyone have an event Rockruff lying around they don't need? I don't really have anything worth trading so I understand if no one can help

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if there's a way to check online to see what GameStops will be doing midnight releases? I'm hoping to go to a midnight release to play the game as early as possible without buying digital.

Karu

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I bought Black and Black 2 the other day. For future use - how do I transfer Pokemon from the DS games to future iterations? Is the Bank still available and works? What options do I have?

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bought Black and Black 2 the other day. For future use - how do I transfer Pokemon from the DS games to future iterations? Is the Bank still available and works? What options do I have?
Bank is still available and fully compatible with all of the 3DS games.

For Gen 5 (BW/BW2) and VC games(RBY/GSC), you can use Poké Transporter, which comes with Bank (download Bank from the eShop, then get Transporter from the main menu).

You just need to make sure any Pokémon you want to send to Bank are in Box 1 in your DS game, then open Poké Transporter and choose to transfer from the DS game.
It moves your entire Box 1 (minus items and eggs) to a temp box in Bank, and from there you can open Bank and move your Pokémon from the temp box into the box of your choice.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
I want to trade and get an event Pokémon, is there any way to know if this Pokémon is legit?

I mean, I want to know if it was really obtained in an official event or by illegal means.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want to trade and get an event Pokémon, is there any way to know if this Pokémon is legit?

I mean, I want to know if it was really obtained in an official event or by illegal means.
Most event Pokémon injectors these days do it by delivering the Wonder Card to your game, so it's indistinguishable from the real thing.

Which one are you after?

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
Sounds good. I will send you my code later today. Could you please redeem it in Japanese?
Can I get you anything in return?

By redeem in japanese you mean the game language?

Although my 3DS is japanese I'm playing Pokémon Sun in english, but I have a unused copy of Pokémon Moon that I can start in japanese.

Don't need to give me anything, I'm trying to finish Pokémon Sun before the release of Sword and Shield!

Last edited:

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I can't say, but I don't believe the average employee is trained to identify bootlegs.
They just check to see if the game runs.

All the Gamestops near me had bad Pokémon games.

However, the advantage is you can verify it yourself and return it if it is counterfeit.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I am also looking for somebody with a Japanese copy of Sun/Moon/uSun/uMoon that would be willing to help redeem a shiny Necrozma code for me and trade it back.

Not sure I would really be able to offer you anything but you would have my undying gratitude (for whatever that is worth).

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
I am also looking for somebody with a Japanese copy of Sun/Moon/uSun/uMoon that would be willing to help redeem a shiny Necrozma code for me and trade it back.

Not sure I would really be able to offer you anything but you would have my undying gratitude (for whatever that is worth).

Necrozma Redeem Service at your disposal, sir.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I asked this in the Sw/Sh discussion thread, but will we have a spreadsheet/Google Doc/what-have-you with friend codes/platforms/whatever for the new game? I really enjoyed having access to that for X/Y

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the last sprint of my pre-SwSh replay marathon, Ultra Sun, so I guess this is my RTTP post.

It's coming back to me how fresh Alola felt, especially after Kalos was just...more of the same.
(I really enjoyed X/Y at the time, but now, having played B/W/2, I can see how unambitious and safe it felt in comparison.)

My main complaint is, I guess, the same as everyone has - I wish the game would just stop talking to me/showing me things and let me play it. I've found myself wandering around tall grass areas not because I need the level grinding, but because I just resent the game continually yanking me away from the actual gameplay.
The recurring comparison made here is XY's opening, but after playing both in a row, I can conclude that XY was much less frustrating. XY had a short path with no Pokémon followed by a long cutscene...but that was about it. The game didn't keep giving you milestones a few metres away so your friends could show off the clothes shops - once you were done in Aquacorde Town, the cutscenes were much more spaced out than in U/S/M. XY might have the same amount of cutscene content, but at least it was paced better.

Probably the most egregious time-waster is the Rotom Dex. I know it's a new Pokémon, Rotom, no need to pause the battle at the start to tell me that. And then the unskippable REGISTERED! animation takes up even more time. I'm sure these animations were someone's pride and joy, but they're a major pace-killer and I really wish I could switch them off, like the battle animations.
(I think I'm mostly annoyed that the game's time-wasting was the biggest complaint about S/M, and then Game Freak did nothing to improve it for USUM.)

Still, there's plenty of good to offset the time-wasting. I loved the setting the first time I played it, and I still love it this time around. While it is very linear, the islands are a nice refreshing change. Maybe it's because I'm from a small(sih) town, but everything feels very pleasantly local - while previous games pushed their cosmopolitan New York, Paris and Vegas equivalents, even the central city of Alola has a small-town atmosphere.
Alolan forms only add to this, as a great way to revisit old favourites. It's a pity only first-gens got them, but hopefully the Let's Go games have appeased Game Freak's massive Kantophilia for now and we see more variation in generations later on.

The island challenge and the trials are also a nice idea to shake up the series. The story does still involves collecting eight MacGuffins and then challenging the Pokémon League, but I appreciate that Game Freak made steps towards shaking the traditional formula up a little by dropping gyms.
It's a nice step forward...which, like all of GF's steps forward, is seemingly not continuing to the next generation.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Soooooo.... I haven't been following SS news at all and was wondering if anyone could tell me already if it's worth playing it if I found SM too annoying with constant tutorials and "don't forget that to progress you must go to the place you're already heading to right now!" and such. Also, does it look like the base formula still hasn't changed a bit? I actually liked the island challenge formula from SM for being at least a bit different from previous entries.
Or is there maybe a good video I could watch that talks about those things and what to expect from SS?

Thanks!

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Soooooo.... I haven't been following SS news at all and was wondering if anyone could tell me already if it's worth playing it if I found SM too annoying with constant tutorials and "don't forget that to progress you must go to the place you're already heading to right now!" and such. Also, does it look like the base formula still hasn't changed a bit? I actually liked the island challenge formula from SM for being at least a bit different from previous entries.
Or is there maybe a good video I could watch that talks about those things and what to expect from SS?

Thanks!
May be better off waiting until the game is actually out for that.

ShinRPGamer

Nov 4, 2017
Out of curiosity how long did it take for the 3DS games to first go on sale? I ask because I'm not getting Sword at launch (80 bucks over here) but I'll likely look at getting it once it drops to a more reasonable price.

Edit: should also mention the link to the discord has expired. Can I get an invite link from whoever can provide one?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 9183

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Out of curiosity how long did it take for the 3DS games to first go on sale? I ask because I'm not getting Sword at launch (80 bucks over here) but I'll likely look at getting it once it drops to a more reasonable price.

Edit: should also mention the link to the discord has expired. Can I get an invite link from whoever can provide one?
A new invite link has been added.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

meepfx

Dec 20, 2017

Thanks!

So I see you didn't get any replies so here goes:

The previews we've had so far have mentioned that there's practically no tutorials this time, the game kind of let's you go and do your thing from the get-go. Pretty early on you're thrown into the large open area and while the game gives you a clear indicator of where you're supposed to be going, it let's you continue exploring that area in peace. Your traditional gyms are stadiums this time around with some additional challenges you have to fulfill before you can participate, not sure how different it actually feels in the end though. Officially we don't know a lot about late-game, I've tried to avoid spoilers so all I know is the pokemon league is more of a tournament this time around.

I would argue the biggest change to the base formula are the Wild Area (large open area) in the middle of the map which feels like GameFreak carefully tipping their toes into open-world design. They've also made item changes to streamline entry into competitive battling if that's your thing:

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
What's the best way to get Vivillion eggs with patterns I want? I only need to finish them off to complete my living dex w/ all variants. Im trying reddit but its so slow

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Is it possible to complete the national dex in Black or Black 2 if all I have is copies of SoulSilver, Black and Black 2?

EDIT: And a copy of Pokemon FireRed?

Last edited:

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
Is it possible to complete the national dex in Black or Black 2 if all I have is copies of SoulSilver, Black and Black 2?

EDIT: And a copy of Pokemon FireRed?
Its possible, especially since a fan run GTS exists so you can still arrange trades in a roundabout way. https://pkmnclassic.net/

Would be difficult if starting from scratch though, there are a good number that you will have to trade for unless you pick up some more of the older games. Do you have a DS with a GBA slot and a second DS or 3DS to transfer up from your other games?

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Random trade question but does anyone have a spare Froakie with protean from XY they can trade? I want to start a replay and would like to use one. Not concerned with IVs or natures or anything. I don't have much to offer but it would be appreciated

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
I have a DS Lite and a 3DS, so I can trade up and with myself.
Then that should make it easier. There are still some pokemon you will have to GTS for but you can also use this method to get mythicals and legendaries.

www.shacknews.com

How to unlock Gen 4 and 5 Pokemon Mystery Events in 2018

It's now possible for Pokemon fans to open up Mystery Gift events in older Generation 4 and 5 Pokemon titles. Here's how the process works.

I might also be able to give you some in the future as I am just finishing my national dex in diamond (7 left) and plan to do white 2 next.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I was fishing in Alpha Sapphire, hoping to find Seadra, and found a shiny Wailmer. I was out of quick balls but caught it in one shake with an ultra ball. I love my new pink whale.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
I just played Whitney in Heart Gold for the first time since playing her in Pokemon Crystal back in 2002.

I learned that she's not actually skilled or difficult in any sense, she's just a scrub gym leader, with scrubby Pokemon battling tactics. Her Miltank is mediocre. I walked in with a Mareep and a level 20 Gyarados. She quickly shrugged off the poison powder from my Bellsprout by using a berry. Unfortunately for her, she didn't have anything in her item bag to heal paralysis, so her Miltank was paralyzed the entire match while I just spammed bite with Gyarados.

Whitney spammed the milk drink move and super potion for what felt like an infinite amount of times....so.

She doesn't have any kind of robust battling strategy besides spamming healing items hoping that my Pokemon eventually tucker out.

I forgot that when you defeat her she cries, I think that's excellent character design considering that her battling style is that of a overly confident kid with "I've never lost before" mentality.

Aisutron

Nov 1, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
Damn, Sword/Shield brought my Pokemon hype back. I own all the mainline games, but I didn't have time to play Sun/Moon or U.Sun/U.Moon. I just found out U.Sun/U.Moon are basically the same games, is there no point playing Sun/Moon at all?

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Sword/Shield brought my Pokemon hype back. I own all the mainline games, but I didn't have time to play Sun/Moon or U.Sun/U.Moon. I just found out U.Sun/U.Moon are basically the same games, is there no point playing Sun/Moon at all?
Not really, US/UM are essentially the same games with a slightly tweaked story and better endgame.