• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon Company gets keeping bigger and bigger. And the number doesn't even include sales from Pokémon Center stores.

According to the gazette, net profit jumped to a handsome US$124 million in the financial year that ended on February 28, 2019 (via Kanpo Blog).

In 2018, net profit reached around US$81 million, meaning the number jumped by just over 50% year-on-year (100 yen translated to US$0.91 last year when I converted currencies – vs US$0.92 today).

It's the second highest net profit for The Pokemon Company in its existence. The highest was US$143.3 million the year Pokémon GO launched.

• 15th fiscal (for the year that ended on February 28, 2013): US$16.6 million
  • 16th fiscal: US$10.6 million
  • 17th fiscal: US$18.4 million
  • 18th fiscal: US$5.6 million
  • 19th fiscal: US$143.3 million
  • 20th fiscal: US$80.8 million
  • 21th fiscal: US$124 million

Via https://www.serkantoto.com/2019/06/03/pokemon-companys-net-profit-jumps-50-to-us124-million/

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
They will make it double once that Gacha money starts flowing. Pokémon has never been bigger and that's Incredible. As much as we complain about everything it's one of the best handled franchises in the world.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
What is the relationship between The Pokemon Company, Game Freak, Creatures and Nintendo? I take it TPC is a subsidiary of the latter 3 companies? Is the $124 million the total revenue for all Pokemon media (including output from Game Freak, etc)?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
That's it? I legitimately would expect it to be much more, is it due to stuff being separate between Nintendo and Gamefreak as well?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
What is the relationship between The Pokemon Company, Game Freak, Creatures and Nintendo? I take it TPC is a subsidiary of the latter 3 companies? Is the $124 million the total revenue for all Pokemon media (including output from Game Freak, etc)?
TPC is equally owned by the three of them and was created to handle the brand.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
That's it? I legitimately would expect it to be much more, is it due to stuff being separate between Nintendo and Gamefreak as well?
Well yeah. Most of the money for console games goes directly to Nintendo / GF / Creatures. The bulk of the revenue comes from mobile games, services (like Pokémon Bank) and things like movies / anime. The number doesn't include merch sales which also are a lot.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
TPC is technically its own thing but it was nintendo and I believe creatures who set it up with Nintendo owning like 33% of it or something but since Nintendo owns the Pokemon brand itself its still technically all nintendo.
I think a good comparison is intelligent systems, technically their own company who works exclusively for Nintendo buy IS was started and runned by nintendo employees so are they really a entirely separate company?

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Each of the 3 own a third of The Pokemon Co, so it isn't consolidated (not a subsidiary) for any of the 3 so if I'm not confusing anything it's an equity investment.
This link talks about equity and consolidation investments

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Each of the 3 own a third of The Pokemon Co, so it isn't consolidated (not a subsidiary) for any of the 3 so if I'm not confusing anything it's an equity investment.
This link talks about equity and consolidation investments

Hard to say without reading the financial statements' notes.
The percentage of shareholding is only a guidance, but whether Nintendo/GF/Creature consolidate TPC depends on whether one of those entities have control over TPC.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
That jump between the 15-18th fiscal years to 19th and every year after that is crazy.

No wonder they are now investing in Sleep and Masters.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Such is the power of TPC entering the mobile market seriously. I also feel like after Masters is out. That they should be able to nuzzle out one other huge Pokémon mobile game that the market will support with the other two.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
The 18th fiscal year was a trash tier year.

Did nothing significant come out that year?

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon but the main series fans didn't buy it despite it being a super amazing game. :( TPCI should have marketed it way better and while it wouldn't have done main series numbers such a godlike game needed more eyes on it instead of people mad that it wasn't Z. Investors probably didn't care about it either

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon but the main series fans didn't buy it despite it being a super amazing game. :( TPCI should have marketed it way better and while it wouldn't have done main series numbers such a godlike game needed more eyes on it instead of people mad that it wasn't Z. Investors probably didn't care about it either

afaik those games still sell millions?

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
afaik those games still sell millions?

They do! GTI sold over a million in the early age of the 3DS's life and PSMD sold a million too... But honestly, being the fall game for 2015 should have had it sell more than one million. 2-3 would have been lovely. I realize they wouldn't do DS numbers due to install base but it's a shame that Super had every chance to not sell so low (taking the main series' holiday spot, late in the 3DS' life, popular series) yet it didn't. And it's a criminal shame since it's my all time favorite video game in history and a fantastic finale for PMD.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
They do! GTI sold over a million in the early age of the 3DS's life and PSMD sold a million too... But honestly, being the fall game for 2015 should have had it sell more than one million. 2-3 would have been lovely. I realize they wouldn't do DS numbers due to install base but it's a shame that Super had every chance to not sell so low (taking the main series' holiday spot, late in the 3DS' life, popular series) yet it didn't. And it's a criminal shame since it's my all time favorite video game in history and a fantastic finale for PMD.

Hopefully not. Haven't even had a console version yet.

Oct 25, 2017

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
TPC is technically its own thing but it was nintendo and I believe creatures who set it up with Nintendo owning like 33% of it or something but since Nintendo owns the Pokemon brand itself its still technically all nintendo.
I think a good comparison is intelligent systems, technically their own company who works exclusively for Nintendo buy IS was started and runned by nintendo employees so are they really a entirely separate company?
By this logic Valve would be a Microsoft subsidiary and Yooka-Laylee would be an Xbone exclusive.

Oct 25, 2017
Technically speaking it wasn't founded by Nintendo employees, Tohru Narihiro was a contractor Nintendo hired in the famicom days to port things, who worked out of their office space and began to expand his "company" rapidly when Fire Emblem got successful. Because of their proximity, they also got jobs as auxiliary units to internal Nintendo projects.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
By this logic Valve would be a Microsoft subsidiary and Yooka-Laylee would be an Xbone exclusive.
Microsoft kickstarted valve? And I don't think microsoft have anything to do with the guys who made yooka-laylee besides them being former employees of rare. IS is straight up nintendo employees starting a completely different company that works in the same office as other nintendo employees
Technically speaking it wasn't founded by Nintendo employees, Tohru Narihiro was a contractor Nintendo hired in the famicom days to port things, who worked out of their office space and began to expand his "company" rapidly when Fire Emblem got successful. Because of their proximity, they also got jobs as auxiliary units to internal Nintendo projects.
Well thats interesting and more new info ive learned about

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Microsoft kickstarted valve? And I don't think microsoft have anything to do with the guys who made yooka-laylee besides them being former employees of rare. IS is straight up nintendo employees starting a completely different company that works in the same office as other nintendo employees
That doesn't make it owned by the company which owns the office or employs the staff (unless their contracts stipulate it). Consider incubators, coworking spaces, etc for instance. A bunch of privately owned companies have been established in the same way.

In fact, I have personally worked for a completely independent company which was started in exactly the same fashion – by employees, out of the office of a large corporation, in Japan. The employees' original company decided to invest, but on the same terms as every other investor.

Oct 25, 2017
Well thats interesting and more new info ive learned about
Think of it as a private firm working out of a public clinic. Regardless, IS isn't owned by Nintendo, but the closeness of their origin allows them the trust of most of the management of the FE IP by Nintendo. Which is why you're much more likely to see shit like Fire Emblem Expo in Japan or their launch of trading cards.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
  • 16th fiscal: US$10.6 million
  • 17th fiscal: US$18.4 million
  • 18th fiscal: US$5.6 million
  • 19th fiscal: US$143.3 million
Yoooo Pokemon was dying until GO released. What a boost that was for the company

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's good.

Well yeah. Most of the money for console games goes directly to Nintendo / GF / Creatures. The bulk of the revenue comes from mobile games, services (like Pokémon Bank) and things like movies / anime. The number doesn't include merch sales which also are a lot.

Oh, I didn't know about this. I guess Nintendo have their own money from publishing pokémon and also the money of TPC with them publishing it as well. Same for Gamefreak as a developer and Creatures as one of the shareholders.