• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

Note: Replaced video with a mirror as Pokémon Korea seem to have posted it earlier than they should.

The Pokémon Company has announced in their website multiple celebrations regarding Pokémon Day 2020, which is going to take place in February 27th.

• A brand new Mythical Pokémon for Pokémon Sword and Shield will be revealed. It will also be the protagonist of the upcoming Pokémon Coco movie.
  • New events for Sword/Shield and Pokémon GO.
  • New Pokémon Masters information.
  • "Pokémon of the year" election campaign with Google (no info yet)

Also Pokémon Day has been officially recognized by Japan's Memorial Day Association.

Last edited:

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the "Pokemon of the Year" stuff will lead to distributions and/or merch.

It's happening

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
This is really exciting!

Also apparently we're getting the missing Alcremie forms through Milcery raids

img_200131_01_07.jpg

img_200131_01_08.jpg

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
Too bad there isn't any existing in game lore for the mythical, but maybe that will be patched in as well.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
the video has set to be private as the official pokemon japan youtube channel has not upload it

thanks to the OP for the video

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Nice, I was wondering if they'd do this with mythicals. Good bit of new pokemon coming this year then along with the DLC, well, more than the ultra games at least.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Also The Pokémon Company has just confirmed Meltan is a Gen 8 Pokémon in the (now private) announcement video!?

3XWpfIS.png

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Meltan, I wonder if theyll do a distribution event since Melmetal has a Gigantamax form

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like we will finally know how Meteodyna looks like.

Literally the only Pokémon the very first leaker talked about that didn't end up in the game.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
It's a nice feeling not know what the mythical is already. Now I just have to hold out hope they do something interesting with it in game rather than just dropping it into your party.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Pokémon that are only distributed, and can't be normally caught in-game.

The ones we have so far are:
Mew
Celebi
Jirachi
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin
Arceus
Victini
Keldeo
Meloetta
Genesect
Diancie
Hoopa
Volcanion
Magearna
Marshadow
Zeraora
Meltan
Melmetal

Deoxys hasn't stopped being a Mythical, despite being catchable in ORAS.

Phione is always in the limbo between Legendary and Mythical across multiple official sources as well.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Pokémon that are only distributed, and can't be normally caught in-game.

The ones we have so far are:
Mew
Celebi
Jirachi
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin
Arceus
Victini
Keldeo
Meloetta
Genesect
Diancie
Hoopa
Volcanion
Magearna
Marshadow
Zeraora
Meltan
Melmetal
Zeraora and the Meltan line are the only ones I never got my hands on. Hope they distribute those sometime.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Meltan is a gen 8 pokémon then it's pretty stupid that it's not featured in Sword/Shield. Makes no sense lol

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
One of the reasons i like SwSh is that it simply doesn't drown the player in bajillions of legendary and mythics ... i hope they're not going to pour new ones by patches now ...

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it would be weird they're not in Galar Dex, but they ARE in the SwSh code though, and Melmetal even has a Gigantamax Form.

Yet again, Heatran, Regigigas, Cresselia, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus aren't part of the Sinnoh Dex.

Really? I didn't know this. The they will release it for Sw/Sh someday for sure.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I never really understood why it was considered Gen 7 when its whole schtick was basically to be an early sneak peek at a new gen.
Meltan and Melmetal have been grouped with the gen 7 Pokemon in the code for all the games they have been featured in. This is the first real thing to actually make people think it could be gen 8.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Game Freak, ditch the GameStop code distribution thing, I beg of you. Get with the times and make wifi distribution more common.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Melmetal implying new console new gen is a can of worms I'm not sure I want opened yet. Also surprised Coco will have a new Mythical instead of Kubfu or Calyrex, this year they are going in HARD with updating SwSh. Definitely seals the deal and puts the nail in the coffin for anyone thinking 2020 might also hold DP remakes, we are definitely gonna wait another year for a new game.