• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Because the $161 number didn't include the early opening. The total run for Pikachu finished at $170.4 million. You might have to revise that down with the actuals, but the same goes for Endgame. Even if you want to make the point that those numbers don't count because it isn't the initial weekend launch, at that point it's a total semantics argument.

It's at $166,765,242

If you deduct the money made in those 3 territories from May 3-5 you get $161,810,156

So yea, it's clear Pikachu wasn't the number one movie. You can't add numbers made from the week before. And the Global numbers for End Game was just for the 3 day weekend.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is it misrepresenting the truth. A statement such as that can't be ambiguous or skewed
Yes it can, as has been shown to you multiple times while you accuse multiple people who don't actually give a shit how well it does(myself included) of being emotionally invested in it doing poorly. Like I said it was mediocre,(which, btw, reviews also back up). Maybe it does just well enough to turn a slight profit and Legendary is willing to take a risk on another Pokémon movie, maybe it doesn't. But I can tell you one thing, I don't give a shit either way.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's at $166,765,242

If you deduct the money made in those 3 territories from May 3-5 you get $161,810,156

So yea, it's clear Pikachu wasn't the number one movie. You can't add numbers made from the week before. And the Global numbers for End Game was just for the 3 day weekend.
I had misread the opening paragraph of that article and assumed that the missing early release accounted for $9M, so fair enough, I'll take the L on that one.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Some folks were talking about the break even point of a movie a few pages ago, it really depends on the movie and changes from movie to movie. The rule of thumb is that the worldwide gross should be 2.5x the production budget(2x the domestic gross, 3x the overseas gross), but that doesn't work for every movie. BvS, for example, reportedly needed to make anywhere between $800m to $1b to break even, that's a whopping 3.2x to 4x its production budget, mainly because it had a very elaborate marketing campaign. On the flipside, Ghostbusters required $300m to recoup its costs, which was slightly higher than 2x its production budget but less than the 2.5x rule of thumb.

A movie like Detective Pikachu most likely requires a WW gross of atleast 2.5x the production budget, if not more, to recoup its costs. It's a licensed property that happens to be massive(so the licensor gets a bigger cut than usual), and it also had an extensive marketing campaign(those Menchie's cups, primetime TV ads, and 7-Eleven marketing aren't cheap).

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who lost the avatar bet for saying this would reach a billion.....

Some of y'all take this shit too seriously. The only thing I care about and that matters is this movie being a success and profitable so that we can get future Pokémon movies.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it even was one of the, if not the most expensive theatre production when it started out. It's millions to stage it, millions in rent, millions in salaries. But it's profitable because it is consistently having many showings and filling those showings.

Now I genuinely don't know if the West End staging is profitable as a musical (only thing I can find is this article from The Independent, which does talk about its profitability but gets muddy about where its profitable as a musical). But there is basically nothing that suggests that the Broadway staging isn't.

The franchise isn't profitable. Idk whether or not the broadway show individually is, though I suspect not. But I am telling you, 100%, the Lion King musical franchise doesn't turn a profit and is not designed to turn a profit. Believe me or not idc, but this is literally the industry I work in and you don't, sooooo