• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For a summer blockbuster, my estimate for a heavily marketed movie:

P&A = production budget*2
150 production + 300 P&A = 450 budget

Keep in mind transformers movie came out in 2007...12 years ago.

There's no way the total budget is 450 mil. As someone said above, 450 is likely the break-even point.

Unless you're using Hollywood accounting math, where nothing ever makes money.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it couldn't even do more than Avengers, and that's it's 3rd weekend after release. The way people are spinning a mediocre reception is incredible.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a solid opening, though I expected it would do more internationally. Maybe it will have better legs internationally as more people get to see it.

I do think it will be enough that we will see more Pokémon movies in this style. They nailed the world, so I think a few tweaks in that world with a new story and it could be an even bigger hit.

Is there many licensing deals with this, such as toys and stuff? If so, that could also bring in a decent amount of profit.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
That seems kinda low. Great endgame numbers though. The thing that might save Pokémon is this movie is just a giant ad for its other media and merchandise. So they might wanna keep investing in it if it grows the brand even more.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Biggest video game movie opening ever. So compared to that it's great. Shrug

I don't wish the movie any ill will, but the numbers aren't special. The fact that it beat Tomb Raider 2001 by 11 million isn't that exciting. With inflation, Tomb Raider 2001's 47 million opening weekend is 67 million in today's market.

Obviously you like the movie and you feel protective of it. That's fine, go on and love it, and it's cool that this is the biggest video game opening ever. But it's also an objectively mediocre opening weekend box office performance when you factor in the massively successful brand, wide audience reach, huge marketing effort, and general blockbuster culture trends, even without factoring in the comparatively explosive numbers of Endgame.

If the film doesn't have a huge breakout, yeah, there's a chance that it won't make back its total budget (production + marketing). That's just my take from many years of watching box office numbers. It's not definitive and time will ultimately tell.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't wish the movie any ill will, but the numbers aren't special. The fact that it beat Tomb Raider 2001 by 11 million isn't that exciting. With inflation, Tomb Raider 2001's 47 million opening weekend is 67 million in today's market.

Obviously you like the movie and you feel protective of it. That's fine, go on and love it, and it's cool that this is the biggest video game opening ever. But it's also an objectively mediocre opening weekend box office performance, even without factoring in the comparatively explosive numbers of Endgame.

If the film doesn't have a huge breakout, yeah, there's a chance that it won't make back its total budget (production + marketing). That's just my take from many years of watching box office numbers. It's not definitive and time will ultimately tell.
We have the opening weekend numbers, thats the source. We have the budget.

What is this no source thing? We have enough info to make reasonable predictions.
It didn't just beat a movie from 18 years ago. Did you block it from your brain that they made a new tomb raider movie a year ago? It beat that one too. It's the biggest opening for a movie based on a video game ever. So it's beat all of them, new and old. That objective. And I haven't seen the movie.

You dont know marketing. You are making up numbers to fit your argument.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't just beat a movie from 18 years ago. Did you block it from your brain that they made a new tomb raider movie a year ago? It beat that one too. It's the biggest opening for a movie based on a video game ever. So it's beat all of them, new and old. That objective. And I haven't seen the movie.

That is completely irrelevant to it making a profit. Tomb Raider was a massive bomb. We know the average marketing spend on a summer film like thtis.

450-500m is a very safe conservative estimate of what is needed to generate profit.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A reminder on budgets, generally you want to be at least making double the film budget (Plus whatever the advertising budget is as well) to be seen as profitable as Cinema's tend to keep 50% of the films profits, and that's US only, the percent earned by the studio is even lower internationally.

Omnicore

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
That seems kinda low. Great endgame numbers though. The thing that might save Pokémon is this movie is just a giant ad for its other media and merchandise. So they might wanna keep investing in it if it grows the brand even more.

That really depends, the growth in sales for other Pokémon merchandise does not benefit Warner Bros at all. The movie studio needs to make enough money to warrant investing the time and money into it. That being said I think the movie will do well enough to have at least another Pokémon movie made in this style.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is completely irrelevant to it making a profit. Tomb Raider was a massive bomb. We know the average marketing spend on a summer film like thtis.

450-500m is a very safe conservative estimate of what is needed to generate profit.

Tomb Raider was such a huge bomb that they're making a sequel.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

The new Tomb Raider wasn't very successful in its own right. I don't see any numbers that I made up. I said that with inflation, Tomb Raider 2001's 47 million opening weekend is 67 million in today's market. That's true. Anyway, numbers on that scale aren't special in today's day and age.

These are considered successful opening numbers. This is just a range of recent genre movies:

Transformers: Age of Extinction --- $100,038,390
Logan --- $88,411,916
Fast & Furious 6 --- $97,375,245
The Jungle Book --- $103,261,464
Captain Marvel --- $153,433,423

Pokemon is at least as big an IP as Marvel or Transformers, etc.

In general, when it comes to marketing numbers, you take a film's budget, and the marketing cost is an additional 75% or 100% of that budget. So if a film cost 150 million to make, it will generally cost 100 or 150 million to market. It's just a rule of thumb.

Yes, this movie is the biggest video game opening. It's also a mediocre start to its box office run. This isn't a controversial statement, honestly.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The new Tomb Raider wasn't very successful in its own right. I don't see any numbers that I made up. I said that with inflation, Tomb Raider 2001's 47 million opening weekend is 67 million in today's market. That's true. Anyway, numbers on that scale aren't special in today's day and age.

These are considered successful opening numbers. This is just a range of recent genre movies:

Transformers: Age of Extinction --- $100,038,390
Logan --- $88,411,916
Fast & Furious 6 --- $97,375,245
The Jungle Book --- $103,261,464
Captain Marvel --- $153,433,423

Pokemon is at least as big an IP as Marvel or Transformers, etc.

In general, when it comes to marketing numbers, you take a film's budget, and the marketing cost is an additional 75% or 100% of that budget. So if a film cost 150 million to make, it will generally cost 100 or 150 million to market. It's just a rule of thumb.

Yes, this movie is the biggest video game opening. It's also a mediocre start to its box office run. This isn't a controversial statement, honestly.
When you factor in inflation like that you don't consider those that wouldn't have seen the movie due to the cost. So it's not that simple. The new tomb raider bombed. This Pokemon film is a far stretch from that.

None of those films you've mentioned are based on a video game. Let's keep this in perspective

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Endgame's budget (not including marketing and such) was 356M. Detective Pikachu's (not including marketing and such) was ~150M. Endgame's marketing was also orders of magnitude bigger than DP, so no, $450M (200-300M P&A) estimated total budget isn't that big at all. Movies are expensive.

And I thought AAA games were expensive to make!!

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I rember reading a report that wb has already greenlit another movie, wounder if they go through with it?
They always greenlight future movies of potential universes now. But it will just as easily be shelved had this been a stupendous bomb. But now we wait.

If Pacific Rim got a second movie then this so-so early week results for Pokemon might be enough. If it has legs then definitely.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
I mean, it couldn't even do more than Avengers, and that's it's 3rd weekend after release. The way people are spinning a mediocre reception is incredible.
You get out what you put in. If they took more time to polish up the Pokémon designs and gave it an actual plot instead of hoping that Ryan Reynolds and the fans opinions that the Pokémon designs look cool and cute (they really don't to most casual viewers that I've talked to) then it would have performed better

I think the fact that it's probably going to hit budget at least is a positive takeaway, even if it won't necessarily lead to a sequel

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
But $60M opening is actually pretty great for any other movies (and okay-ish for big budget movies). Avengers is just doing that incredibly well.

Remember that even if WB doesnt make money from this then the TPC definitely will with merchandise sale. That might be enough for TPC to continue funding live-action movie ventures with another studio in the future but maybe with a slightly smaller budget and releasing in different time of the year.

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went in expecting a good movie with Ryan Reynolds and pokemon. I walked having seen a terrible movie using Ryan Reynolds and pokemon to mask its horribleness. I loved pokemon as a kid, this movie made me hate it.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It also broke the record for highest grossing movie about an electric rat, and the record for highest grossing movie starring Justice Smith.

How many more "records" will it break?

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The defense for this movie sure is something else lol

Even worse is the amount of vitriol it gets thrown at because of some peoples extremely high expectations.
It's just a fun movie man. Let people share their love for something they liked, there's no need to be a dick about it.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Even worse is the amount of vitriol it gets thrown at because of some peoples extremely high expectations.
It's just a fun movie man. Let people share their love for something they liked, there's no need to be a dick about it.

I'm not going to stop anyone from seeing this movie more than once, just saying that if it were a better movie it would have been more successful, not a controvertial take.

"This movie isn't good"
"Hey a lot of people liked it actually"
"WOW!! Defense force much!!"

"better start manufacturing them" was not an answer I was expecting TBH

More power to you and everyone who loved it though

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone subjecting themselves to this movie more than once deserve a medal.

Totally agree. The movie was fun and all but one time is more than enough at least for me. It's really just alright and nothing special. Worth the watch I guess and decent results nonetheless (great for a video game movie though).

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
It also broke the record for highest grossing movie about an electric rat, and the record for highest grossing movie starring Justice Smith.

How many more "records" will it break?

don't worry. pokemon's a fad and no one will be talking about it in a year or two.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Totally agree. The movie was fun and all but one time is more than enough at least for me. It's really just alright and nothing special. Worth the watch I guess and decent results nonetheless (great for a video game movie though).

After the first half I really regretted not waiting for the Netflix release.

Like, seeing the Pokemon is neat, but I got all that fan service from the trailers.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
lol, OrangeAtlas I know today has been hard on you and your yellow fluffy son, but this thread is still a bit much.

What is your source?
The source is maths.

We know it's budget ($150M)
We know what the Publicity&Advertising spend for a blockbuster is ($100-200M)
We know what money it's currently pulling in and from where.

You can surmise from these things a probable range where it's gonna hit breakeven. Pika didn't open poorly, but it did cost a whole lotta money and is not guaranteed it will breakeven at the box office.

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
The defense for this movie sure is something else lol

Hey, it's all very meaningful, and we eating tonight boys and girls

As I stated earlier in the thread, I've gone to see it twice already, and am planning to see it perhaps a 3rd, and 4th time. Avengers is a tonal mess that I can't bring myself to see more than once considering it's a massive time commitment. 3 hours of what is a tonally inconsistent 3 act film... with a flimsy excuse to bring the villain in, and time travel. I'm gravy thanks.

The time travel stuff would've been fine if they just LEANED hard into it rather being adamant about their "rules" because any time you try put rules on time travel shit gets messy. (Especially when you break your own time travel rules)

Last edited:

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly thought this movie was gonna make bank, but I failed to take Avenger's legs into consideration.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Lots of assumptions going on this thread.
Which considering the usual "read once then move on to spread it without doing research", will turn into the usual " but everyone/noone told me" later.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
The movie opened in much less cinemas than it normally should be, because Avengers still block many cinemas.

Anyway it had a good first weekend. Will definitely make money.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I got out awhile ago and the movie was bad. Mind you I have no nostalgia for Pokémon and didn't know who most of them are. My nephew liked it though so that's gotta count for something.