• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Do you disagree? To me it seems to be marketed towards the gen 1 nostalgia older gamers in late 20s early 30s with it's jokes and tone

I am saying that you have people arguing literally every concievable position for this movie.

You won't have to look too hard for "relax it's a kids movie!" takes.

At the end of the day it's silly arguing about how a movie of all things should earn more money or deserves to do so, it's just another brand wanting to sell you a product and how well it does depends on factors out of our hands. It's fine to appreciate things we like in entertainment, but this movie has a weird defense force that wants it to be the biggest thing ever.

Yep

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I am saying that you have people arguing literally every concievable position for this movie.

You won't have to look too hard for "relax it's a kids movie!" takes.

Yep

Instead of pretending to be above the fray, you could weigh in. I was just giving my opinion based on my (limited) observations. I have zero emotional investment about how the movie does beyond a general Hoping good movies do well and bad movies don't.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As I stated earlier in the thread, I've gone to see it twice already, and am planning to see it perhaps a 3rd, and 4th time. Avengers is a tonal mess that I can't bring myself to see more than once considering it's a massive time commitment. 3 hours of what is a tonally inconsistent 3 act film... with a flimsy excuse to bring the villain in, and time travel. I'm gravy thanks.

The time travel stuff would've been fine if they just LEANED hard into it rather being adamant about their "rules" because any time you try put rules on time travel shit gets messy. (Especially when you break your own time travel rules)

Oh so you're salty that Endgame stomped pikachu without even trying. Gotcha.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Antagonistic Behavior
Let's remember guys, this is a pokemon endeavor. And we know that most pokemon fans consume anything with the brand, so that's why mediocre, uninspired games like the output Gamefreak has been releasing since XY are still as successful as they can be, so GF continues with the same, old, tried formula but with just a new fad every new entry. Oh and lack of post-game content if you're not into grinding for IV perfect pokemon to play in online matches.

The heated defense force is nothing new.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Holy crap, 170 mil!!! Well deserved, the movie was very enjoyable.

Where do we think this lands? I say $500m global.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Let's remember guys, this is a pokemon endeavor. And we know that most pokemon fans consume anything with the brand, so that's why mediocre, uninspired games like the output Gamefreak has been releasing since XY are still as successful as they can be, so GF continues with the same, old, tried formula but with just a new fad every new entry. Oh and lack of post-game content if you're not into grinding for IV perfect pokemon to play in online matches.

you were just really holding that in weren't you?

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Instead of pretending to be above the fray, you could weigh in. I was just giving my opinion based on my (limited) observations. I have zero emotional investment about how the movie does beyond a general Hoping good movies do well and bad movies don't.

I think it's clearly a kids movie, but with references in there for milenials who bring their kids to see it.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
you were just really holding that in weren't you?

Not at all. I've said this before.

I love pokemon, but a lot of fans' ridiculous defense it's the cause GF keeps churning out games as bland as the 3d entries. They don't even try to adjust difficulty or have post game content, because they know they are selling regardless.
So the heated defense of this mediocre movie keeps the tradition with the IP.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw the movie and it was fun. It's going to keep earning and blow the hell up on stream/home release. Zero doubt. Just like the zero Scizors in the film. :(

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the movie was really cute personally. Flawed, sure, but it felt like they at least somewhat knew the source material and were trying to honor it imo. Reynolds' pikachu was obviously the best part.

The numbers don't sound super amazing at first glance, but it looks like they're happy about it, so I'm glad it's doing well.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

How can it still be an acceptable take "All the fans are stupid except me, the true fan"

Deleted member 52823

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
What if they came up with a new region, named a movie after it and the two games after it, and released them simultaneously?

OP
OP
OrangeAtlas

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Damn my exact same line I used for fantastic four nearly worked here too. Okay, I'll tweak it.

Not a good example. Pikachu is about to out gross the TOTAL ww box office for green lantern before its second weekend.

Numbers don't exist in a vaccuum
Math is the one universal constant, that's why we love it.

Alright, try this: Detective Pikachu also outgrossed Resident Evil in its opening weekend. Why did it get 5 sequels? And why did Warcraft, which made $433 million worldwide, not get any?

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw the movie, the start had me a little worried but once Pikachu appears it gets fun, plot is simple but full of charm. As for negatives I guess none of the actors stand out, they all seem ok, the protagonist does have a couple good moments though. Overall I enjoyed it and would like a sequel

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017

Alright, try this: Detective Pikachu also outgrossed Resident Evil in its opening weekend. Why did it get 5 sequels? And why did Warcraft, which made $433 million worldwide, not get any?
Why did Pacific Rim get a sequel? Tomb Raider (2018) sequel has been greenlit as of April of this year. Why? If the experts here are suggesting that a film needs to make 3x to break even, surely these films shouldn't have proceeded.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Except this isn't true at all, because this film will make absolutely loads for years to come on streaming services, where the studio gets a much larger cut of the profit anyway.

Ignoring the fact that streaming licensing deals aren't that lucrative or that simple, most studios (including Warner Bros) are looking to start their own streaming services and not license stuff like this out to Netflix and the like.

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring the fact that streaming licensing deals aren't that lucrative or that simple, most studios (including Warner Bros) are looking to start their own streaming services and not license stuff like this out to Netflix and the like.

Great- the film will make them even more money then.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.
Looking through this thread...

57701435.jpg

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

I'll tell you what "isn't how it works"- first week box office takings being reflective at all of whether a movie will turn a profit in the long term, or how you even judge exactly what counts as studio profit when you're talking about a sprawling multimedia franchise like Pokemon, without knowing the details of the very specific deals that WB will have with Nintendo and the Pokemon Company. Or even whether turning a profit is important or expected of this film.

OP
OP
OrangeAtlas

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Why did Pacific Rim get a sequel? Tomb Raider (2018) sequel has been greenlit as of April of this year. Why? If the experts here are suggesting that a film needs to make 3x to break even, surely these films shouldn't have proceeded.

That's kinda the point though is a movie's success needs to be relative to itself. So mocking Fant4stic for making a third of what Detective Pikachu did is irrelevant since it also cost a third as much to make it, especially since there are so many other fun ways to mock it. And there are always multiple factors in play beyond just an easy formula, that's why the 2/2.5X profit rule of thumb is just that: an easy estimate for conversation. Tomb Raider did pretty well worldwide all things considered, just not enough to be an obvious runaway hit. Clearly WB felt it did well enough for them. And has been said in this thread before, Pacific Rim was more of a case of the new Chinese owners thinking it was worthwhile to take a chance on it doing well in China again (same company that's doing Detective Pikachu so hey things might be looking good).

And your examples also paint exactly how a sequel being greenlit could ultimately mean diddly squat. Nothing's really been done so far for Tomb Raider 2 beyond signing the star and underpaying a writer to do the script, they could just as easily say next week "Oh yeah nevermind". And Pacific Rim 2 got cancelled like 3 times before John Boyega had to come in to get it off the streets and back to the block.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The movie's in such a grey area regarding its' performance right now, that I think it's too early to call if this kills Pokemon's future in Hollywood. I do anticipate a lower budget and a different pitch for the movie rather than a straight up sequel to this, if WB has enough confidence in the IP to try again.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
The movie's in such a grey area regarding its' performance right now, that I think it's too early to call if this kills Pokemon's future in Hollywood. I do anticipate a lower budget and a different pitch for the movie rather than a straight up sequel to this, if WB has enough confidence in the IP to try again.
A big factor is going to be streaming/home video/licensed product sales. Those are generally higher for kids movies, so strong figures there are relevant. The other question is if the studios think future films will grow, hold, or shrink. It's why the fairly successful ASM2 didn't get a sequel - Sony knew the box office would absolutely collapse for a theoretical ASM3. But if they feel they can maintain or grow these numbers, then it's worth moving ahead.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh

Lol. Peak Resetera.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Yeah I love math too! So good, innit?

Robotoboy

Oct 7, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Oh so you're salty that Endgame stomped pikachu without even trying. Gotcha.

I never once said I was mad about it lmao. Just that I prefered it over endgame. Endgame had it's fun moments but it had it's problems too. It's 3 fucking hours for one thing... I don't have 3 hours to commit to a damn movie multiple times. I also found it dragged its ass a lot. I personally don't care what movie does what financially - I find it stupid when people argue this kind of shit if I'm honest because it doesn't effect me at all. Detective Pikachu exists and I'm happy enough with that. Chill buddy.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
I definitely expected a lot more from this movie but I think thats because of major titles getting a billion so easily.