• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/...ional-box-office-avengers-endgame-1203220343/

Warner Bros. and Legendary's "Detective Pikachu" remained the top film at the international box office for the second weekend in a row, amassing $53.8 million from 72 foreign markets.

The Pokemon adaptation, featuring the voice of Ryan Reynolds, is nearing the $200 million mark overseas. It has currently earned $193.4 million abroad, taking its worldwide bounty to a strong $287.4 million.

Pretty damn decent I'd say. Hopefully things continue to go well.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's kinda low than I was expecting, Pokemon is the biggest brand there is right? At least base on quick wiki look

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems to have good legs so far, hope it continues on and is a great success story.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
That's kinda low than I was expecting, Pokemon is the biggest brand there is right? At least base on quick wiki look
Yeah :/ for a low budget movie, these numbers would be great...but I feel like for what they must have spent on VFX alone, this movie needs to do much better. I want it to do better, because it was a great fun movie.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oddly enough, of the 3 movies Ive seen this summer, Avengers, John Wick, and Pikachu, I wanna see Pikachu again the most. There's definitely heavy competition in movies right now so glad it seems to be doing well. Can't wait for the blu ray release.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
Well earned success, great CGI and great adaptation that builds on the source material instead of ditching it nor insulting it. Really loved it as a Poke' fan,

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was admittedly on the team that figured the movie would be higher out of the gate, but it's kind of apples to oranges in this case. For example, Mickey Mouse is the flagship and most treasured Disney IP, but it wouldn't outgross the Avengers in a film. Certain IP is better suited for general film audiences than others, and consumers have a long standing bias against video game movies because a long series of poor offerings have trained them to do so.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was admittedly on the team that figured the movie would be higher out of the gate, but it's kind of apples to oranges in this case. For example, Mickey Mouse is the flagship and most treasured Disney IP, but it wouldn't outgross the Avengers. Certain IP is better suited for general film audiences than others, and consumers have a long standing bias against video game movies because a long series of poor offerings have trained them to do so.
True and the art style and premise doesn't line with the games in general. I hope it does a lot more since the movie is suprisingly great. Like really great, my favorite this year after Endgame

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
To be fair it looks great for a low budget movie, it's oozing with charm and cg's pretty great.
I'm not saying Detective Pikachu is low budget. I'm saying that in Hollywood now, grossing $287 million would be fine for a lower budget movie, but for something like Detective Pikachu, which probably had a heavy budget just in terms of VFX alone, $287 doesn't sound that great. Not to mention the marketing budget.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But why a thread for this specific number? It'll break 300M and probably 400M too. So it's not like this matters much.

While it'll end up profiting a bit, comparing to other videogame adaptations doesn't seem too good when the IP is bigger, this movie's budget is 150M$ and it seems to be underperforming.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Huh, so it might struggle to actually make money back? Compared to other video game movies it's obviously doing fantastic but didnt they spend like 450 million when you include marketing?

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
8465.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
I think the Endgame conversation lasted a bit longer than they anticipated.

I think it would be more successful if wasn't that.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying Detective Pikachu is low budget. I'm saying that in Hollywood now, grossing $287 million would be fine for a lower budget movie, but for something like Detective Pikachu, which probably had a heavy budget just in terms of VFX alone, $287 doesn't sound that great. Not to mention the marketing budget.
Ok, I'm not knowledgeable on box office sales so that went way over my head. Kinda disappointing if you say is true, movie is great and the IP is biggest out there for gaming.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, so it might struggle to actually make money back? Compared to other video game movies it's obviously doing fantastic but didnt they spend like 450 million when you include marketing?
Where does this 450 million figure come from? I asked SweetNicole last time but didn't get a response.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't the movie need something like 400-500 millions to break even? that's no where near pretty decent. WB would be lucky to recoup cost let alone make a lot profit.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
The amount of armchair box office pros on this forum will never stop being odd to me.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They shouldn't have released this so close to the Avengers. This would have been better as a June release.
WB tried to counterprogram it with Shazam and Pikachu and ended up hurting both movies.

Where does this 450 million figure come from? I asked SweetNicole last time but didn't get a response.
That's 150M (budget) x 3. What people use for the break even point considering marketing budget and cuts to their Box Office results by the cinema chains, taxes, etc.

tho I think Pikachu is closer to 2.5x, so 380M I guess already makes some profit. If it's truly 450M, then oof.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Pikachu should beat Warcraft, we'll probably know better after we see next week's numbers.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
It's just fine. There will be a sequel.
How is it fine when the movie is not even guaranteed to make profit? best case scenario is a sequel that will have a significantly less budget than this one. Worst case scenario is no sequel, and Pokemon big action movies are dead for at least a few years.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this movie has to be really profitable in terms of box office for it to be good for the Pokémon company. It's such a big property across so many mediums (toys, cards, video games, anime) that you can't really measure the effect a movie like this has on audiences. There could be families buying a whole pile of Pokémon stuff for the next year because of it.

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
A strong international run, especially in China, saved Warcraft from being a total bomb. It could have lost a lot more money.
Warcraft was partially funded by the Chinese government right? I heard something like that and it had tons of advertising with beer companies and grocery stores?

The Angry Birds movie was a moderate success, but I guess we'll have to wait until Illumination's Mario movie for the first hugely successful video game adaptation blockbuster at the box office. Pikachu could still do fine for the budget, but I'm sure Legendary and WB were hoping for better
I am not ready to hear a full dialogue Mario... :S

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The Angry Birds movie was a moderate success, but I guess we'll have to wait until Illumination's Mario movie for the first hugely successful video game adaptation blockbuster at the box office. Pikachu could still do fine for the budget, but I'm sure Legendary and WB were hoping for better