• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That Home Alone reference out of nowhere.

I liked the movie enough. A solid B- type flick. I wonder how it would play with people who know zilch about Pokemon, though.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just came out of the movie with friends and we all had a good time.
Honestly loved some of the dialogues and the movie, and it made us laugh out loud quite a few times.
The pokemon theme song being sung by a depressed pikachu was just perfect.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just got home from the theater.
Very much enjoyed it

The ditto twist and the Torterra garden both got me good.

Oct 27, 2017
Acey said 10%

Enjoyed the movie, overall. Ditto twist legit caught me off guard, I thought the bit with it in the beginning was just a one-off gag.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a proper Red/Blue movie would work.

Traveling all over a region, trying to get 8 badges and covering the elite four would feel rushed even with a 3-hour runtime.

Even Pokemon Origins was extremely rushed and that was a series of episodes.

netflix series lets go

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a proper Red/Blue movie would work.

Traveling all over a region, trying to get 8 badges and covering the elite four would feel rushed even with a 3-hour runtime.

Even Pokemon Origins was extremely rushed and that was a series of episodes.

None, surprisingly.

a red/blue movie would work if the movie was based on just the elite four with a overarching plot of team rocket i think.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A pretty cheesy (the good kind. I'm looking at you wanna be investigation journalist) and felt cheap at times, but overall they had a lot of respect for the franchise and it was still an overall solid film to exist alongside the franchise. That Gengar vs Blastoise fight was freaking epic and any Pokemon using their moves for battling felt so real and what I always imagined as a kid. The whole opening really captured the spirit of Pokemon with the Cubone and the Pokeball thing. It's really setting up the movie Poke-verse pretty well with the world establishing.

The only thing I have to say I greatly disliked was the evil motif of fusing Pokemon/Human's into one. It was just sort of... Uh. Weird I guess? And they didn't play into any sort of joke or really set any stakes for it happening. Not to mention that Mewtwo has the ability to do that, to begin with, like WTF? Can Mewtwo just fuse shit together now? Okay, fine, whatever. Also with a sequel on the horizon and Ryan Reynold's character is now separated from his Pikachu, how is a Detective Pikachu 2 going to work?

Oh and HOLY FUCK THOSE GIANT ASS TORTERRAS. Why the hell did Pokemon Company approve of that and are those Torterra's now legendaries? Holy shit. These fucks require more explanations and seem far more powerful then the all so "Mewtwo the most powerful Pokemon" fuck that these Torterra's are so huge they make Godzilla look like some small fry.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
We are probably too old to be seeing this this day before it opens, but I went with 4 buddies and - it was awesome. Even better with some beers.

1 of us doesn't know what a Pokémon even is- came for the aforementioned beers - and probably loved it the most.

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw it tonight! WOW! It's fucking great! Music was much better than I expected since I never really remembered much of Henry Jackman's work despite seeing his films like the Wreck it Ralph films. That was my only concern. Easy 8.5 out of 10. Animation was bloody fantastic most of the time. The film had heart. It was legit hilarious at times. Voice-acting for the Pokemon was well done.

So psy(duck)ched to see how it performs at the box office. I hope this blows most other films out of the water (basically aside from End Game, even I doubt it'll touch it financially). It's VERY deserving of massive success!

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The movie was probably fine but I really didn't care too much for it. I felt like the dialogue outside of Pikachu was super awkward. Also I think the trailers showed me too much.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The movie was probably fine but I really didn't care too much for it. I felt like the dialogue outside of Pikachu was super awkward. Also I think the trailers showed me too much.
I liked the main character, he felt very lived in the world.

The girl was very cheesy, but I suppose that was her character. When we reach the lab and to the movie's ending she felt very into character.

And the best friend at the very beginning of the movie felt very human/lived in the world too. I kept asking myself is this guy supposed to be like Red or something? I liked him, I hope to see that actor in the future.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
What an unbelievably good movie. It was the first time in a while (besides Endgame) where I couldn't really believe what I was seeing. 8-year old me was just jumping for joy. I have no complaints other than Mewtwo's teeth.

Honestly, this movie has reminded me of my time with the original Poke'mon games and how much I loved them way more than any recent Poke'mon games. Which is a bit of a bummer. The games just don't spark that sense of exploration and discovery any more.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Yeah, definitely the things that weirded me out the most was giant Torterras and Mewtwo merging the humans with Pokémon. It was just eh?
They definitely need to do something more with the writing in any hopeful next movie.
I'd love to see in a future film a decent visual variety of the same Pokémon. There was an issue with many of them looking a bit copy and pasted. I understand the circumstance and the limitation, but it would be cool if there was a bit more variation of how each Pokémon looked. Like small items of clothing, or texture details. Very subtle colour variations.

Fun movie. The Ditto twist got me.

But how long until the inevitable fan edit dubbed with a Danny DiVito impressionist?

I look back at the names of the others considered for the role, the Rock singing the original theme as a depressed Pikachu would have been neat.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
The trailers deserve an award tbh even though they showed way too much

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The torterra sequence just felt like a waste to me. They just get up and then sit back down for no apparent reason? Why does the land the characters are standing on go completely vertical when the incline on a torterra shell never really looks that steep?

Imagine if they had taken all the money they spent on that scene and just used it to show pokemon fighting......or some kind of comprehensible action sequence. It seems like an idea that probably sounded a lot better in the script than it actually played out on screen.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I liked it! It was a cute family movie. There were definitely some things that didn't work all that well but overall it was a good time! Thumbs up! I hope we get more.

May 30, 2018
just got out of it an hour or so ago. the more i think about it, the more i get Spy Kids (for this generation) vibes, especially the terrifying ditto eyes. solid, not incredible, but definitely memorable and made with passion.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked this movie but the best part was when the Sonic trailer showed up and the audience reaction to it. I don't mean their reaction to the things in the trailer, I mean the collective grimacing when they realized quickly that it was "that trailer" but on the big screen.

lmao the exact same thing happened in my theater. that trailer has truly become infamous

Oeufcoque

Oct 27, 2017
It was okay, I guess? The trailers showed all the best moments and there were barely any Pokemon battles. Although the Ditto twist was awesome. Also Bill Nighy as Mewtwo was fucking hilarious.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Our main disappointment with the movie is that the pokemon don't do anything. They're often purely just props or set dressing. Ryme City has a very "Mos Eisley in Star Wars Special Edition" feel, where the whole city is just crowded full of creatures for no reason other than they want to show a city crawling full of creatures. Visually it's very busy but it doesn't amount to much. We're told that the pokemon live and work here in harmony with humans, but they very quickly gave up on showing the pokemon doing anything useful or interesting. Most of the creatures just seem to be hanging around idly.

The best example of "The Pokemon don't do anything" is when Pikachu is knocked out. "Oh wow, all these cute little bulbasaurs showed up to help! I wonder what they are going to do?" Sorry, they aren't going to do anything other than lead our heroes to another scene. Fuck, they don't even say "Bulba!" in a cute voice. These things are here for little more than fan service, at least have them do something that fans might like to see.

You very rarely see pokemon use their abilities, and there's at best count 1.5 Pokemon fighting scenes. The brief glimpse at a Genger/Blastoise fight teases what the whole movie should have been.

RadiantDan

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan
I enjoyed it a lot up until the final act. The climax is easily the weakest part of the film (except for the Ditto reveal, which was pretty awesome).

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Watched it, better than a Pokémon movie had any right to be.
Plot is a bit too basic, the dialogue didn't seem right and some of the actors didn't really give it their all. But I still enjoyed it very much.
Pikachu depressingly singing the Pokémon theme song got the biggest laughs in my cinema.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Our main disappointment with the movie is that the pokemon don't do anything. They're often purely just props or set dressing. Ryme City has a very "Mos Eisley in Star Wars Special Edition" feel, where the whole city is just crowded full of creatures for no reason other than they want to show a city crawling full of creatures. Visually it's very busy but it doesn't amount to much. We're told that the pokemon live and work here in harmony with humans, but they very quickly gave up on showing the pokemon doing anything useful or interesting. Most of the creatures just seem to be hanging around idly.

The best example of "The Pokemon don't do anything" is when Pikachu is knocked out. "Oh wow, all these cute little bulbasaurs showed up to help! I wonder what they are going to do?" Sorry, they aren't going to do anything other than lead our heroes to another scene. Fuck, they don't even say "Bulba!" in a cute voice. These things are here for little more than fan service, at least have them do something that fans might like to see.

You very rarely see pokemon use their abilities, and there's at best count 1.5 Pokemon fighting scenes. The brief glimpse at a Genger/Blastoise fight teases what the whole movie should have been.

I agree. Honestly one plot point I thought they'd set up is all the people of Ryme City and their partner Pokemon would be setting out fires, helping the heroes beat Mewtwo and his army or something to help save the city.

The writing felt weak because it felt like they could only do so much CGI and had to budget for things.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
just got out of it an hour or so ago. the more i think about it, the more i get Spy Kids (for this generation) vibes, especially the terrifying ditto eyes. solid, not incredible, but definitely memorable and made with passion.

do you think arceus stays in poke-heaven because he too lives in fear of what he has created

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Went and saw it this evening. It was a pretty cute movie. I did enjoy Ryan Reynolds' quips as Pikachu, even if it did skirt Deadpool-esque. I think writing wise, the movie definitely does skew more to a "made for kids."

That third act though lol

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it a lot up until the final act. The climax is easily the weakest part of the film (except for the Ditto reveal, which was pretty awesome).
The final act does feel very rushed. I'm still not really sure what exactly the villain's motivation was.....I mean, I get that he wanted to put people into pokemon bodies, but for what purpose? Just because? He never really makes a case for his actions beyond "Oh we can evolve into our better selves." But how does forcing a human into a Snubull make that human any better? Pikachu talks about how hard it is for him to walk around and keep up with Goodman, so the film actively makes a case that being a tiny little pokemon actually puts you at a physical disadvantage.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Was a surprisingly fun movie. It's def geared towards families with kids with it's basic plot but the wife and I enjoyed it a lot. I felt that the world felt alive with all the Pokemon just wandering around and coexisting. A sequel def needs to expand on that as I think it the potential is huge.
I wanted to visit Rhyme city after leaving the theater.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah I agree the climax is actually the weakest part aside from the Ditto plot twist, which caught me off guard as well. Not a fan of the "Mewtwo joins people's souls with pokémon" plot point and the giant Torterras scene could've been done in a more organic way, it felt weird.
Overall I did enjoy the movie and would give it a solid 7/10 if you're a fan, but can see why someone who doesn't know shit about Pokémon would not enjoy it too much.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
The final act does feel very rushed. I'm still not really sure what exactly the villain's motivation was.....I mean, I get that he wanted to put people into pokemon bodies, but for what purpose? Just because? He never really makes a case for his actions beyond "Oh we can evolve into our better selves." But how does forcing a human into a Snubull make that human any better? Pikachu talks about how hard it is for him to walk around and keep up with Goodman, so the film actively makes a case that being a tiny little pokemon actually puts you at a physical disadvantage.

hes a dumbass movie villain who heard the word 'evolution' and went bugfuck nutso. that's about all the thought they put into that imho

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
hes a dumbass movie villain who heard the word 'evolution' and went bugfuck nutso. that's about all the thought they put into that imho
Tbf if you're insane and dumb enough to think being inside a pokemon body is an solution to your health, being insane and dumb enough to believe that everyone would be better off doing the same just in case is not that far.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was surprised at how they never really bothered to explain much of anything for non-fans. If you have no real experience or knowledge of the franchse, so many things will just seem bizarre and out of left field. The bit with Ditto won't really land.....the Mew/Mewtwo thing is weird and uncertain if you aren't sure what those two pokemon are supposed to be.

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbf if you're insane and dumb enough to think being inside a pokemon body is an solution to your health, being insane and dumb enough to believe that everyone would be better off doing the same just in case is not that far.
If you're disabled, I can understand why you might want to put your mind into the body of a Machamp or some other humanoid pokemon. I don't understand why you would think an able-bodied person is better off living as a Psyduck. Humans are so full of neurotic psychological issues......just the stress of being suddenly transferred into a non-human body would probably make a human-Psyduck hybrid nuke an entire city with psychic energy.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching and it's pretty solid. Definitely worth a watch. Right now I think I'd give it like a 7? Might go up the more I think about it. Lead actress is almost distractingly bad though

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
I was surprised at how they never really bothered to explain much of anything for non-fans. If you have no real experience or knowledge of the franchse, so many things will just seem bizarre and out of left field. The bit with Ditto won't really land.....the Mew/Mewtwo thing is weird and uncertain.

the ditto thing literally has a 2-second background event that is all the grounding a non-fan is gonna get (and the eye thing isn't even focused on there). weird. Mew/Mewtwo you can kinda handwave by being like, this is a deus ex machina pokemon and it does deus exy kind stuff, but its still pretty weird (and the switch power is literally "Yes I have this power BECAUSE REASONS")

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
If you're disabled, I can understand why you might want to put your mind into the body of a Machamp or some other humanoid pokemon. I don't understand why you would think an able-bodied person is better off living as a Psyduck. Humans are so full of neurotic psychological issues......just the stress of being suddenly transferred into a non-human body would probably make a human-Psyduck hybrid nuke an entire city with psychic energy.

also kinda weird that the psychic headache blasted the greninja but didn't do jackshit to the protags and pikachu? oh well movie logic

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a cute family movie. Enjoyed it.

Random thing but the sonic trailer played before the movie and a lot of people chuckled in my theater lmao.