• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The more time goes on the more I feel like Zootopia's "complex themes" were a complete cop-out honestly.

Pikachu might not try to be hard-hitting with its potential "commentary" (since it isn't exactly even trying to have any) but it at least doesn't try to handwave an actual uncomfortable topic regarding racism as "it was just a virus? oh ok chief guess that means everything is hunky dory".
I feel this. At first I was a staunch defender but the more I think about it, it actually trivializes IRL bigotry in a lot of ways if you take it as a serious 1:1 analogue.

Still a fun movie, don't get me wrong, but as a parable for racism it sucks.
I do think it was meant to be a joke as that's the only time she is ever that blatant. She was totally trying to ham it up. Bought into her own dreams of being a hard hitting investigator too much. I actually really enjoyed her character. Mad props for being so nice to Psyduck despite that Pokemon has to be a burden most of the time.
I agree. Seen people say she's a flat character but I really can't agree. She's just a total dork who ends up developing into a more proper journalist, even if she does kind of get cheated out of the payoff when she gets fused with Psyduck.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
So...no one's going to ask it?

...fine, i'll be the dirty freak who does. So, if that ditto can transform into any thing at will (including, as far as we know, an original human form), and combining with the knowledge that Ditto can breed with anyone...

...yes my mind is filthy. I apologize.

I assume they still have the original ditto mind, so if their mind is lesser than a human its still messed up no matter how they appear. Acting like a person is still mimicry.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I feel this. At first I was a staunch defender but the more I think about it, it actually trivializes IRL bigotry in a lot of ways if you take it as a serious 1:1 analogue.
I think of Zootopia the same way I think of the X-Men. It's fine as a metaphor, but the more you try to think of it as an analogue, the more it falls apart.

The problem with Zootopia is that it pulls a lot of it humor and references for discrimination from real world examples, so it's hard to not draw those lines. Like the whole "it's okay for a bunny to call another bunny 'cute" scene in the police HQ.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it enough. Nothing amazing but definitely an enjoyable watch. Kinda stinks the Pikachu we see through the whole movie isn't really Pikachu though. A sequel is going to feel pretty forced if his dad somehow gets placed into Pikachu again.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assume they still have the original ditto mind, so if their mind is lesser than a human its still messed up no matter how they appear. Acting like a person is still mimicry.

1. I don't think the old man ranting and raving about achieving perfect harmony between human and Pokémon has such morals

2. The ditto shows enough intelligence and awareness to activate traps against the trio and Mewtwo so clearly something happened in those experiments.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. I don't think the old man ranting and raving about achieving perfect harmony between human and Pokémon has such morals

2. The ditto shows enough intelligence and awareness to activate traps against the trio and Mewtwo so clearly something happened in those experiments.
You're so right, damn

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The Pokémon were cute. all of them (except gengar). what more do you want

they even had cute little swinubs

Theres lot of the movie with little to no pokemon on screen. The human parts were pretty bad, lot of bad acting, and the story was just awkwardly told and very predictable.

Everything with the pokemon was golden, but the rest of the movie... eh

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually from the movie. In the games Mewtwo was a genetically modified baby Mew they kidnapped. It was the anime that made it a clone.

Sorry if this has been pointed out before. Just reading the topic as I just saw the film.
Mewtwo was always a clone, created in the Pokemon Mansion on Cinnabar Island.
c1f043a8273bb11ad046d32bb312520511916792_hq.jpg

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

well, we know how Ex Machina went down

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Theres lot of the movie with little to no pokemon on screen. The human parts were pretty bad, lot of bad acting, and the story was just awkwardly told and very predictable.

I see what you're saying but like... the pokemon were very cute

and the story is the best pokemon story since 1998 tbh

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Alright, fun question, where would you rank this compared to the anime movies? Better? Worse? Somewhere inbetween?

I need more time for it stew in my head (and an un-blurry version) but I think I would put this in the upper half, but there are anime films liked more, such as Spell of the Unown, Heroes and Lucario (I also should probably watch Power of Us at some point to see how that stacks up.)

DarkLegion

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Movie was really enjoyable. I didnt go in expecting to see something mind blowing. It was all just good fun to see the Pokemon world realized like this.

Hopefully they can make more movies down the road. This is a good introduction to world. The last leg of the movie made me wish we could see a fully realized pokebattle though! Something like an Elite 4 battle

Beedig

Feb 10, 2018
So Rachel Lillis the voice of many characters in the old pokemon was used, and credited, but she didn't know her Jigglypuff was used.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Movie was really enjoyable. I didnt go in expecting to see something mind blowing. It was all just good fun to see the Pokemon world realized like this.

Hopefully they can make more movies down the road. This is a good introduction to world. The last leg of the movie made me wish we could see a fully realized pokebattle though! Something like an Elite 4 battle

If anyone paid attention, this world has been realized with every Pokémon movie.

The first Pokémon movie actually is related to this MewTwo and is the one that encountered ash 20 years ago in Kanto. They even make a reference to it. So I wonder if that means we can also get non detective movies where we can get a 30 year old ash lol

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Not a great movie by any means, but as a proof of concept that Pokemon can work on the big screen, it worked perfectly. Hopefully this cinematic universe takes off with tighter scripts and a more interesting story. Ditto was definitely the highlight.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

Yeah, it feels like they greenlit this movie based on concept art and the promise of Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu.

Mewtwo with teeth talking with his mouth was Sonic levels of bad. Before that it was a perfect depiction of Mewtwo, then he flapped his gums.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back,

I'm just gonna say, I want more pokemon, doing more pokemon stuff on the big screen. The plot and characters are fine I guess but it was awesome to see the pokemon being pokemon.

I will say I didnt like the torterra scene, even though I think torterra is awesome and looked great, it was a weird messy scene IMO and I'd kinda would have preferred if it was either actually a confusion fallout (hurt yourself in confusion) or like a slightly bigger than normal torterra getting upset and using Earthquake.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I will say I didnt like the torterra scene, even though I think torterra is awesome and looked great, it was a weird messy scene IMO and I'd kinda would have preferred if it was either actually a confusion fallout (hurt yourself in confusion) or like a slightly bigger than normal torterra getting upset and using Earthquake.

The scale of the multiple Torterra just made me laugh so hard.

This world now has like 3 Godzilla sized monsters chilling and they aren't even brought up again lol

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm not the only person that noticed that they used slimmed down switches for cell phones am I? I'm looking online and no one seems to be talking about it. They very clearly have two offset touch pads and buttons, they also appear to have some form of removable joycon.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

This world now has like 3 Godzilla sized monsters chilling and they aren't even brought up again lol
Lol that whole scene I was like, this is Torterra, but no it's too big, that would be stupid, and then it was a BUNCH of them that big. They zoom out and show the scale, like each one was the size of 2,000 Charizards at least. Nothing could beat that thing. There was like 5 of them! Lol

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm not the only person that noticed that they used slimmed down switches for cell phones am I? I'm looking online and no one seems to be talking about it. They very clearly have two offset touch pads and buttons, they also appear to have some form of removable joycon.
Yeah I saw it.
Switch slim confirmed in Pokemon universe

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Hey, this movie is great! I give it a 9. I couldn't see what was Coming. Man, best videogame movie ever.

Hard to believe that's actually good.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
My GF and I both called Pikachu being his dad like 20 minutes in too, and we dismissed the idea because it was too dumb and he would recognize his dads voice. So when that was the twist...woof

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017

They kinda handwaved it at the end with Clifford's son saying he was going to make things right, I believe? I vaguely remember a line about reversing the experiments

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Just saw the film tonight. It was an okay movie. Without a doubt the first video game movie to break the stupid 'curse.' Pikachu was cute as fuck. Having the Mewtwo be the one from the original 1999 anime film was a clever touch. The plot was a bit predictable. You could tell Pikachu was Tim's father after the speech he gave about "if he was here kiddo" at the fountain. The only unpredictable twist in the movie was the reveal of Ditto at the end. Now that was funny.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back from it. I liked it! But also disappointed. But also I was kind of expecting to be disappointed, if that makes sense? Like I knew I was building up the movie to something it was unlikely to be, so it wasn't really a letdown when it didn't meet my expectations.

The biggest issue is that for the most part, the story and the characters are just kind of... there. There were definitely some bits that felt important for building specific elements of the movie--they have to put Pikachu in danger so Tim can make the decision to save him, Tim and Pikachu have to have the talk about Tim's dad to bring them closer, etc.--but then there were a lot of parts of the movie that felt almost perfunctory. Lucy doesn't really feel like a character. I get that her first scene is intentionally hammy (though this doesn't come off well, at the point in the movie where it happens it's easy to pass it off as "kid movie overacting"), but we don't really get much more from her after that. She's mostly busy advancing the plot, and we only get bits and pieces of who she is, like when she steals Cynthia's identity (to show she's a spunky reporter willing to grab opportunity when she sees it), but then doesn't get to do much with it.

I actually thought Ken Watanabe was fine. He wasn't exactly asked to do a lot and he did as much as was necessary. Bill Nighy was fine, I suppose. The guy who plays his son, though, is basically "kid's movie villain" levels of overacting for significant portions of his screentime. Tim and Pikachu had some great scenes together, and I think you get pretty good insight into Tim's character throughout the movie; what I wasn't expecting was Pikachu to be a little bit thin. He mostly just cracks wise and has the occasional heart-to-heart with Tim (which, I won't lie, got me right in the feels despite having seen most of that scene in a trailer already). It's hard for him to do much as a character when the movie is busy hiding his true identity in what is easily one of the least surprising twists ever. I'm actually fine with how obvious that twist is, except that it sort of hurts the movie's ability to give Pikachu much of an arc. The biggest revelation Pikachu as a character gets turns out not to even be true (when he decides that he actually betrayed Tim's dad, and therefore he's no good as a partner).

The story feels thinner than it should. The plot advances like clockwork and there's no real tension to any of it. Outcomes are never in doubt, just where character loyalties lie, and not really even then. That could just be a kids' movie thing, but I think it might be more a function of budget and running time.

All of that said, I will also admit that some of my disappointment is in how easily I slipped into the world of the movie and came to accept the presence of pokemon everywhere in the real world. I say "disappointment" because I stopped being amazed by the spectacle of it, but in reality that's a huge achievement and I wouldn't have thought it possible a few years back. And while there weren't really a ton of super tense moments, I laughed a bunch (DITTO) and I cried (seriously, that dad conversation, I don't care if people think it's too sentimental, it got me), and that's more than a lot of movies I've watched lately.

I would love to see more of this. Please give me more of this.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
Very average film but easily the best video game adaptation we've gotten. I'm jealous for this new generation of kids that get to grow up on these movies because I wish we would've had them when I was their age. The Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter movies were the best I got as a kid.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter movies were both better than Detective Pikachu.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ditto is one of the most consistent reminders of how truly horrifying the Pokemon world is.

The reveal of Ryme City made me turn to my sister and be like, "I.....I don't think I'd be cool with this. They're everywhere."

To be fair, Ditto are a lab experiment and only can be created via said lab experiment since they can't breed more ditto by themselves. On the other hand I'd like a Ditto and a Rotom to team up and become the first pokemon villain team leader now.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Saw it tonight. The plot was a mess top to bottom, and the film overall reminded me of Transformers 1 in that everyone came for the Pokemon/Transformers, but the film was 80% humans.

Everyone in my group enjoyed it though and would definitely be up for a sequel.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, favorite cameo moment is the Pokemon Stadium-like voice clips (was it the actual voice clips?) during the underground fighting arena.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fun movie. Not amazing but I had a great time.

They really stretched the limit of what Mewtwo can do but I'm fine with it. I kinda got used to the weird acting from the cast, after a point it became endearing.

Kinda wish it were longer a little more complex because the bad guy just kinda reveals himself and his plan in one swoop and we're right in the endgame.

Either way I'd recommend it. One of the best video game movies I've seen. Probably not as good as the Ace Attorney one though.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
The best video game adaption to date is the Castlevania series on Netflix. Now that is a great 10/10 series. I'm sure with Detective Pikachu being successful we will eventually get a great video game movie soon enough too. The floodgates have been opened. The curse is no more.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The best video game adaption to date is the Castlevania series on Netflix. Now that is a great 10/10 series. I'm sure with Detective Pikachu being successful we will eventually get a great video game movie soon enough too. The floodgates have been opened. The curse is no more.

There are a bunch of good animated adaptations. I don't think this movie doing well is going to raise the quality of live action Hollywood versions though, looking at how well the Resident Evil movies do commercially.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Man,best videogame movie? Y'all are crazy, this shit makes the Silent Hill movie look like fuckin jacobs ladder.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yall are haters it was better than captain marvel even if you don't think it was better than endgame

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Howcome Mewtwo could fill pikachu in on the fact that he was the dad in 30 seconds at the end, but he couldn't do that directly after he transferred the dad into him?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Would you believe your dad's spirit has possessed a Pikachu?

Just came back from the theater, I liked a lot. I expected nothing and left very satisfied.
That doesn't make sense. If I was a Pikachu with amnesia next to a burning car, and a mewtwo told me I was a human that was in the body of the pikachu, I would probably believe that. The whole plot of the movie hinges on Mewtwo not taking 30 seconds at the beginning to do something that took him 30 seconds at the end.

Oct 27, 2017
in a world where humans can become ghost pokemon after dying, yes
But Pikachu isnt one :p

That doesn't make sense. If I was a Pikachu with amnesia next to a burning car, and a mewtwo told me I was a human that was in the body of the pikachu, I would probably believe that
But he withheld that information in order to spring both him and Tim into action.
If Pikachu showed up and said HEY I'M YOUR FATHER!, Tim would really think he is under the influence of the gas.