• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr. Sam

Oct 26, 2017
Nf3Imok.png

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen the movie yet, but just curious... How much is Mewtwo in the movie and is Team Rocket / Giovanni in it?

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly didn't see the ditto twist coming because I kept on forgetting "oh yeah ditto copies shit"

Also nightmare fuel lol

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Even though I've seen it, I'm excited to see it again

aDo9m1R.gif

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Not reading the thread yet because I haven't watched the movie, but there won't be a regular OT? Or will the review thread take its place?

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
My impressions:
Movie was ok - all the twists and final sequences were extremely trashy and stupid, but honestly it kind of fit into this world, so I still got some entertainment out of it. What I liked was how the movie handled old 'Film Noir' tropes - the peak was probably the non-verbal reproduction of an interrogation scene, which was a nice creative touch that was never surpassed again unfortunately.

For fans - which I am, as I have played every single Pokemon game so far - the movie offers the quality of a 'Spot the...' book in the style of a 'Where's Waldo?'-book, since you gonna be constantly scanning through the pictures in search of a Pokemon - oddly fitting for a Pokemon film, since the viewing experience kind of mirrors the 'gotta catch (spot) them all' spirit of the games.

But man, what pissed me off was the oversentimentaly of the story, most of the dialogs and plot beats were almost unbearable because of that. Also, I gotta say that Ryan Reynold's voice was pretty much the only organic thing in this movie, which I don't mean as a compliment, because every single Pokemon looked just so fake. The CGi was okay, but it still clashed so much with the real world - as for now they still haven't figured out how to transfer the cartoony look of Pokemon into the real world.

All in all it was pretty much what I expected - maybe slightly better and I gave it 2,5 / 5 stars.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
just got out of a cinema

overall i have to say it was at best a 6/10, and then add at most 2 if you're a pokemon fan. Ryan Reynolds and to a lesser extent Justice Smith really save the movie because their chemistry is pretty tight. Newton I'm sad to say is kind of overacting (I was really reminded of the Scott Pilgrim movie actually for some reason), as is every other major actor (Watanabe cannot resist hamming it up) and there's something just... not punchy about a lot of the movie except for Ryan Reynold's neverending dialogue. There's a lot of shit that just kinda happens and you just sit back in your seat and accept that's how it would go because it's a movie, but not necessarily in a fun whipcrack kind of way.

The story is just... there. It's a bit twisty sure but some stuff just comes out of nowhere (why can mewtwo switch bodies of gassed pokemon and humans? Who the fuck knows it's pokemon magic) or is ridiculously obviously predictable (oh the smiling english guy is evil you don't say). I don't mind a bit of sentimentality, which is lucky, because this movie is dripping with it. I think it kind of works because Ryan Reynolds actually turning up at the end looks weirdly hangdog and uncertain as a dad, and Justice is a decent enough character actor, so the emotional core hits alright. Only twist that really surprised me was the ditto (kinda undercut by Justice going "OH YOU'RE A DITTO" immediately afterwards) and to a lesser extent the dad. Also, Evil British Guy's plan was dumb as hell, why did he leave Tim in the same room with his body, that was stupid. Whatever the movie's fiiiiiine. (I honestly think Pokemon movie one has a better emotional core to it at the end of the day)

Still the best part of the movie was the credits sequence (holy shit all that original art and manga panelling was sooooo fucking good) and just, like, the world design. That world is awesome. The amount of Pokemon they crammed in there wasn't super high but it was just enough to make the world seem densely populated and real. It's just so entertaining to see people argue about what kind of Pokemon element they are in a serious manner, or to have a dude in a military dress garb saluting a Machamp or whatever. Can't wait until people start releasing even more breakdowns of signs and hidden Pokemon and all that shit.

also, they put a lot of the awesome shit in the trailers. the bastards.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it tonight... It has a slow start but it has quite enjoyable third act. Even it has a slow start it still entertaining to see those pokemon running around on screen with great cg. So overall its a good movie.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
A really really good film! It is perfect for everyone, but it has some details which the Pokemon fan will really appreciate. Just to say, I loved that the second showed Pokemon was a Bouffalant, the Pokemon you would never expect.
The Pokemon are the real added value of the film, they are wonderfully animated. And Psyduck is the MVP of the film, absolutely!
I also liked that the ending is different from the game, I appreciated more this one.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Is there a post-credit scene with Mario saying "You've become part of a bigger universe"?
only half-joking

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I almost busted out laughing at the evil, brain controlled Mew-Two with Bill Nighy's voice.

I have never seen him give fewer fucks about a performance and it was still amazing.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
That scene on the giant Torterra was nuts. In the trailers I thought it was some Mewtwo-incuded hallucination stuff or something but boy was I glad to see my favorite starter play a huge role, pun intended.

Also, the whole movie I was waiting for that Ditto to become a major player and they did not disappoint. That scene was a really clever way to let lots of more minor Pokemon play a role in the finale. I kinda wish they hadn't even shown that it could turn into a human early on so it would be a bigger surprise when it happens later.

I was really surprised that they left pretty much no room for a sequel with the ending, especially since they've already greenlit one. Where do they go from here exactly? "Detective Pikachu" isn't a thing anymore unless they engage in more body-swapping shenanigans.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Some thoughts:
I really enjoyed the Aipom chase scene. Good use of their creepy tail hands.

The selection of Pokemon they modelled for background shots is decent. But it was still noticeably limited. The most jarring thing was how many of a single stage were running around. Like there's 1000s of Aipom, Treecko, and Joltik in this city but none of them have evolved. I get that it's a consequence of setting the first movie in a bustling city though.

Newton I'm sad to say is kind of overacting (I was really reminded of the Scott Pilgrim movie actually for some reason)
I kind of liked it because they made it immediately clear that her poor attempt to act like a hard-boiled reporter comes off as goofy as fuck to people in-universe too

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of liked it because they made it immediately clear that her poor attempt to act like a hard-boiled reporter is goofy as fuck by people in-universe

i know but there need to also be a character under the overacting and there wasn't really one under there much unfortunately. Also wasnt really sold on Tim being attracted to her (though she did look best in the 'trainer gear' version with the hat and jacket)

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I almost busted out laughing at the evil, brain controlled Mew-Two with Bill Nighy's voice.

I have never seen him give fewer fucks about a performance and it was still amazing.

I mean, the whole movie is goddamn hilarious in all of the best ways. Just the imagery of Pokémon doing random, everyday things is so comedic. Then Pikachu's dialogue adds another witty layer. Seeing Pikachu in the backseat of a car with Psyduck, even before the banter started, was really something to see. I was laughing the whole movie.

And yeah, the Bill Nighy shit was absolutely absurd. Like, so-bad-it's-good absurd.

MoonScented

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just got out, loved it. Loved the ending too, but my girlfriend who has zero Pokémon knowledge didn't like. She liked the movie, but not the ending.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Got my tickets for tomorrow evening after work, it's already fairly booked so it might be full by the showing.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
The trailer for Sonic the Hedgehog plays before this, lol.

Those teeth... on the big screen.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got out, loved it. Loved the ending too, but my girlfriend who has zero Pokémon knowledge didn't like. She liked the movie, but not the ending.

The climax is pretty terrible and ends up alienating anyone with no Pokémon knowledge who was enjoying the movie up to that point.

That MewTwo/Bill Nighy shit was so inane.

Luckily the movie has a lot of things to like about it.

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked this movie but the best part was when the Sonic trailer showed up and the audience reaction to it. I don't mean their reaction to the things in the trailer, I mean the collective grimacing when they realized quickly that it was "that trailer" but on the big screen.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Just came out. Decent whodoneit hampered only by the acting of the two main leads, who clearly have never had to do acting with tennis balls.

Man there were a lot of dodrio though. There was one in almost every scene.

The Ditto twist completely swerved me

The Ditto twist was real real good.

I was really surprised that they left pretty much no room for a sequel with the ending, especially since they've already greenlit one. Where do they go from here exactly? "Detective Pikachu" isn't a thing anymore unless they engage in more body-swapping shenanigans.

A proper Red/Blue movie.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a proper Red/Blue movie would work.

Traveling all over a region, trying to get 8 badges and covering the elite four would feel rushed even with a 3-hour runtime.

Even Pokemon Origins was extremely rushed and that was a series of episodes.

None, surprisingly.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
The Bulbasaurs were so cute I nearly cried holy shit. Some great moments but story was pretty average and most of it predictable. The credits though! *chef kiss*

Oct 25, 2017
The Ditto twist got me

But yeah, this is a movie meant more for kids, with a few little things for grownups who played pokemon when they were younger.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Got to Harry's apartment and my theater had a power surge. Been sitting here 10 minutes waiting on the movie to resume...

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sooo...is this movie saying pokemon the first movie is cannon when they mentioned mew two left kanto 20 years ago

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap.

They made a video game based movie.

And they actually gave a shit!

I had fun. I loved the credits showing the cast in the games artstyle.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
First and second act were great. Things got way too trite and over the top at the end.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. I almost forgot.

When the Ryan Reynolds Pikachu started depressingly singing the Pokemon anime theme, my entire theater laughed their asses off.