• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
But Pikachu isnt one :p

But he withheld that information in order to spring both him and Tim into action.
If Pikachu showed up and said HEY I'M YOUR FATHER!, Tim would really think he is under the influence of the gas.
He wouldn't have to approach it like that though. And at the very least the pikachu dad would have a grasp on what was happening and could go from there. The writing is lazy, and bad.

Oct 27, 2017
They also dont normally speak in human language
Sure, but one can stretch logic a bit and think that if Pokemon are around people for sometime, they would eventually start speaking. Now here you would say, well, dogs have been around for a lot of years and they don't speak English, but Pokemon are usually portrayed as being more intelligent than a regular, real life animal.
He wouldn't have to approach it like that though. And at the very least the pikachu dad would have a grasp on what was happening and could go from there. The writing is lazy, and bad.
I think it is a bit like that situation where Buzz Lightyear doesnt think he is a toy but still acts like one around humans. It may be a plot hole but lazy writing? nah.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
This is the new Valerian for me. So much heart went into this movie, the world is so well realized, so much fiery creativity. And legitimately the most insane and illogical plot I've seen since Valerian.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Sure, but one can stretch logic a bit and think that if Pokemon are around people for sometime, they would eventually start speaking. Now here you would say, well, dogs have been around for a lot of years and they don't speak English, but Pokemon are usually portrayed as being more intelligent than a regular, real life animal.

I think it is a bit like that situation where Buzz Lightyear doesnt think he is a toy but still acts like one around humans. It may be a plot hole but lazy writing? nah.
It's definitely lazy writing when the movie demonstrates mewtwo can easily show pikachu what happened as soon as his memory is wiped, but chooses not to until the end because plot. And also 21 year old man doesn't recognize the voice of his dad that he heard every day for the first 10 years of his life.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

They make it clear that only Tim can hear him. Its never portrayed as pikachu learning to speak.
Even if it was, being an experienced detective with perfect diction (in his dads voice) is different from just learning to speak, that's a very specific human career.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Howcome Mewtwo could fill pikachu in on the fact that he was the dad in 30 seconds at the end, but he couldn't do that directly after he transferred the dad into him?

I think Mewtwo kind of does? I mean, M2 does tell Pikachu to come back with the son in order to be split again. I feel like the implication is that Pikachu lost his memories AFTER Mewtwo told him what's up.

Maybe that just shifts the plot hole elsewhere, I dunno. It feels pretty handwave-y but it works well enough for me--fiery car crash, disorientation, Mewtwo doing weird shit to you, etc. could be enough justification for amnesia.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Howcome Mewtwo could fill pikachu in on the fact that he was the dad in 30 seconds at the end, but he couldn't do that directly after he transferred the dad into him?
Pikachu was knocked out after the fuse and Mewtwo had people chasing him. Is it too much convenience? Sure. I don't think it detracts too much from the movie.

Last edited:

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Mewtwo was always a clone, created in the Pokemon Mansion on Cinnabar Island.
c1f043a8273bb11ad046d32bb312520511916792_hq.jpg
The images you posted literally say Mew gave birth and that Mewtwo is a newborn. Moreover, they were in the wild following Mew when this happened.

Oct 27, 2017
They make it clear that only Tim can hear him. Its never portrayed as pikachu learning to speak.
Even if it was, being an experienced detective with perfect diction (in his dads voice) is different from just learning to speak, that's a specific human career.
It's definitely lazy writing when the movie demonstrates mewtwo can easily show pikachu what happened as soon as his memory is wiped, but chooses not to until the end because plot. And also 21 year old man doesn't recognize the voice of his dad that he heard every day for the first 10 years of his life.
What I understood was that he transferred Harry's mind and then wiped him. Tha's why he never thinks he was a human before. As why Mewtwo didnt take extra 30 seconds, well that you could say it is for the convenience of the plot, but I do still think that it works either way. Plus, he had the Greninjas and lab staff on his ass.

As for why he didn't recognize his father's voice, well, that's a good point, but I don't think it is a fatal flaw.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I think Mewtwo kind of does? I mean, M2 does tell Pikachu to come back with the son in order to be split again. I feel like the implication is that Pikachu lost his memories AFTER Mewtwo told him what's up.

Maybe that just shifts the plot hole elsewhere, I dunno. It feels pretty handwave-y but it works well enough for me--fiery car crash, disorientation, Mewtwo doing weird shit to you, etc. could be enough justification for amnesia.
I guess that could make sense. Not recognizing the voice is still a huge leap of faith for me though. And beyond some INCREDIBLE fan service scenes I really don't see how this is "the best video game movie ever". It's certainly not the worst, but it's probably around the Mortal Kombat, Silent Hill realm of fun fan service that nails the tone but is also a shitty ass movie on it's own. People on social media talkin bout this fuckin thing like it's into the Spiderverse.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
What makes y'all think it actually had Harry's voice and that's not just for audience convenience. He's clearly not saying actual words, so it's working on some telepathic level.

In addition, Tim hasn't seen (and probably hasn't spoken to) his dad in like a decade.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
That doesn't make sense. If I was a Pikachu with amnesia next to a burning car, and a mewtwo told me I was a human that was in the body of the pikachu, I would probably believe that. The whole plot of the movie hinges on Mewtwo not taking 30 seconds at the beginning to do something that took him 30 seconds at the end.
Mewtwo WAS on the run from people who had already captured him once

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
This was an awful movie that was packed with awesome Pokemon fanservice. Seeing the world realized was great, but the plot was horrendously bad, even for a kids' movie. I enjoyed it, but if it wasn't something that I had a strong nostalgic attachment to like Pokemon, this would probably be the first movie I'd walked out of in my life. That being said, seeing Pokemon realized competently and faithfully in a live action setting was great, and I'd love to see more of this world. Just with a competent writing team that respects the audience a bit more.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
How do you think cloning works?
Thing is, you're arguing that the anime is accurate. Mewtwo was grown in a tube from a sample Mew's DNA, which is the same thing they reference in the films. They are never implied to have captured Mew in the journals. Furthermore, none of the games ever call Mewtwo a clone or use the word clone in reference to Mewtwo. Moreover, you're suggesting they captured Mew, implanted a clone embryo in Mew, let it give birth, then further experimented on that clone to create Mewtwo. Instead of Mew birthing a Mew they experimented on.

EDIT: I forgot the biggest thing here. That they did all this and then RELEASED MEW BACK INTO THE WILD AFTERWARDS.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Everything is moving so fast in this movie that characters don't have time to personally engage with what they're dealing with. It's why so much of Tim and Pikachu's conversation end up being snarky banter back and forth with hit and miss humor. With that being said, I didn't hate any of the characters. They weren't offensively bad to me.

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The piece of music that switches from regular orchestra to including some sort of chip tune music into it when Pikachu and Mewtwo are fighting at the end was sick. The credit theme of the main Pokemon theme was great too.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ryan Reynolds felt like he was just MST3K-ing being in a Pokemon movie. I wish the jokes were more clever instead of just observational humor.

Can we talk about how Detective Pikachu and Home Alone take place in the same cinematic universe
What was the deal with that, anyway? Seemed like a weird reference for this type of movie.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Ryan Reynolds felt like he was just MST3K-ing being in a Pokemon movie. I wish the jokes were more clever instead of just observational humor.

What was the deal with that, anyway? Seemed like a weird reference for this type of movie.

The theory my friends and I came up with was that it was cheaper to use the pre-existing Home Alone footage instead of sourcing an actual detective movie or filming their own clip just for the movie. Probably not a meaningful reference.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
After watching it. I can why the reviews are in the 60-70 range.

Poor writing overall. This film moves way too fast in my opinion. And it also fails to built some of its characters.

I mean. It is a kids move, so I understand the pace. So much miss potential honestly.

Overall. I found it mediocre and disappointing. Its not a bad film tho, just not a good one either. I love Pokémon, but all the cool references doesnt take always the criticisms I have

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
The theory my friends and I came up with was that it was cheaper to use the pre-existing Home Alone footage instead of sourcing an actual detective movie or filming their own clip just for the movie. Probably not a meaningful reference.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/detective-pikachu-makes-a-stealthy-home-alone-joke/1100-6466792/
Director Rob Letterman told FreshFiction.tv's Courtney Howard the movie's use on Harry's TV was originally a placeholder, but the filmmakers never found anything that could beat it--so eventually, they looked into licensing the fake film instead of trying to get a real one, and it made it into the Detective Pikachu final cut.
It probably was cheaper though.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm not the only person that noticed that they used slimmed down switches for cell phones am I? I'm looking online and no one seems to be talking about it. They very clearly have two offset touch pads and buttons, they also appear to have some form of removable joycon.
Notice it when he answered his phone after trying to catch the cubone.

I knew something looked off about the Neon Blue and Red lol

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Mewtwo WAS on the run from people who had already captured him once
Yeah but I mean he was fine up until he got captured days later. Not a deal breaker tbh, I expected plot holes. I just don't understand people praising a sub-par movie full of plot holes and bad acting. I love pokemon and thought the world building and effects were great, but this isn't a good movie by any means.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I just went and saw this movie. Had to take my daughter to the bathroom right near the end of the previews, so I missed the very beginning intro of the movie.
When I walked in, there was a glowing red worded sign, and then Mew Two was in the air.
Didn't really realize the movie had actually started when I first walked in.

Right after I sat down, Tim (?) and his friend were headed out to a field where his friend set him up to catch a pokemon.

Now after the movie, I asked my friend and her daughters what the actual intro to the movie was, and the fact that they all stated it was when they were in the field for the pokemon, I thought it was hilarious, because I know I saw a scene before that, but I had my back to the screen as I was going up the stairs to my seat.

So my question is, what was the actual opening scene to Detective Pikachu, and what else did I miss before the scene in the field?

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I just went and saw this movie. Had to take my daughter to the bathroom right near the end of the previews, so I missed the very beginning intro of the movie.
When I walked in, there was a glowing red worded sign, and then Mew Two was in the air.
Didn't really realize the movie had actually started when I first walked in.

Right after I sat down, Tim (?) na dhis friend were headed out to a field where his friend set him up to catch a pokemon.

Now after the movie, I asked my friend and her daughters what the actual intro to the movie was, and the fact that they all stated it was when they were in the field for the pokemon, I thought it was hilarious, because I know I saw a scene before that, but I had my back to the screen as I was going up the stairs to my seat.

So my question is, what was the actual opening scene to Detective Pikachu, and what else did I miss before the scene in the field?
It was just a scene of Mewtwo escaping from the lab and Harry's car being taken off the road

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but I mean he was fine up until he got captured days later. Not a deal breaker tbh, I expected plot holes. I just don't understand people praising a sub-par movie full of plot holes and bad acting. I love pokemon and thought the world building and effects were great, but this isn't a good movie by any means.

Plot holes. Smh.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
oh so I didn't miss anything.
I figured it had to do with that car scene they replayed about 7 different times near the end of the movie

What's hilarious, is my daughter didn't remember watching Home Alone before (she's 6) so we just watched it last night.
Tonight we watch Det Pika, and she got all excited when she recognized that scene on the TV.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
The only plot hole I could think of is why didn't the kid recognized his father's voice the whole film. But, they didn't really hang out too much in the past however many years, so I guess that's the reason.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The only plot hole I could think of is why didn't the kid recognized his father's voice the whole film. But, they didn't really hang out too much in the past however many years, so I guess that's the reason.
Yeah. I spent a lot of time with my grandpa when I was a kid. He died when I was 10. When I was 20 I couldn't remember what his voice sounded like, and still can't, so it's not that gaping a plothole

Sep 7, 2018
I wasn't going to see this movie because of the video game movie curse, but when reviews came out and they were positive I had to go see it and damn they were right. It is the first good video game movie. Well, there were good fan films, but from Hollywood, this is the first. I guess I should've known and all of us since Nintendo was so mad from Super Mario Bros. they didn't let anyone make a movie based on one of their games since so if they let Hollywood do another they'd make sure it was going to be legit and it was.

It felt like I was in the Pokemon world b and I loved it. I liked the movie a lot. According to YouTubers I must be the only one who didn't see any of the twists coming and in mystery movies I never do despite trying to think about what could happen or who it would be for a little bit. I really didn't expect to see so many children in my theater. I didn't think children nowadays even cared about Pokemon. They were kind of annoying I was trying to enjoy some of the emotional parts and they were getting all restless and shit.

As far as the movie went I couldn't help but think that Danny Devito should've been voicing Pikachu thanks to y'all. Ryan did an okay job. A lot of reviewers saying he was doing the Deadpool thing and I could only see it with his pee joke, but that was it.

The CG on the Pokemon was really cool. I was just nitpicky with some of the designs like with Jiggs and Snorlax, but that was minor shit. I really liked just trying to catch every Pokemon and Easter Egg I could find. The best part of the movie for me was the beginning because it set up the world and let you feel engrossed into it.

When the trailer dropped for this last year I think I was wondering why the hell is Mewtwo in it, but he's actually an integral part of the story and damn Mewtwo was always powerful, but they made him really powerful in this. He can merge souls now?! That shit is fucking crazy especially at the end when homegirl was like "Can you fix this" and Mewtwo was like "I got ya", waved his hand, the gas went away and the Pokemon and humans were separate again. Also how fucking crazy was it that the research lab was on a giant Toraterra? They foreshadowed it in that scene when Lucy said that it looks like they were experimenting on Pokemon evolution, but I didn't see that coming until that shot. I was thinking it until the last reveal and then it was even crazier because it wasn't just one, but like 3 fucking giant Toraterra!

Also, I in that scene where Pikachu got hit in the neck by a rock I couldn't help but think "doesn't homegirl have a potion or Lemonade on her". I also wasn't expecting Mewtwo in the woods. If he ran off why would he hide so close to lab and he knows Heal Pulse too?

I wish the one battle we got wasn't interrupted and just a straight fight though. This movie was fantastic and I can't wait for a Pokemon movie universe or better yet a Nintendo movie universe. It would be so freaking dope!

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
The movie overall is... okay, with quite a few parts that are just dumb. Like seriously, what was the villain's end game after fusing everyone into pokemon? But the movie is really funny at times, and the ditto twist legit shook me.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Speaking of Mewtwo Strikes Back, my girlfriend and I just went for a second showing and in it she noticed that Mewtwo's first words "Those voices...they're outside" in Detective Pikachu is also one of Mewtwo's first lines in Mewtwo Strikes Back

People must be thinking the trainer is Red
I was half expecting Mewtwo to say "where I must be" because I remember that line from MSB

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I thought the film was avarage but passable and mostly unoffsive. I was enjoying it for most part for the first two acts.

Then it just goes to 11 when it starts Invoking Tim Burton batman and war of worlds with a human mewtwo and tops it off with a sprinkle of jack frost, I have not smacked my head so much since batman V superman.

They showed off all the best stuff in the trailers.