• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Movie was a lot of fun, really loved the way it looked and all the pokemon, they jammed in so many. Such a fun vibrant world, I need a pokemon game with these graphics.

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
I loved the movie, seen it twice now.

The way different Pokemon were represented was just great, so many laughs.

Regarding human actors: I'd like to think the overacting was needed to make them look normal in the context of the Pokémon and CGI.

Oct 25, 2017
The movie overall is... okay, with quite a few parts that are just dumb. Like seriously, what was the villain's end game after fusing everyone into pokemon? But the movie is really funny at times, and the ditto twist legit shook me.
He rules over a new society of super intelligent pokemon.

Pikachu failing would've resulted in the Hero Fails Timeline, where Pokemon Mystery Dungeon begins.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the Ditto stuff was low-key the best part of the film IMO. Great because it was foreshadowed when the father/son had their argument and Ditto transformed into a person next to them. Great attention to detail with the wearing sunglasses too. Mad that it used a phone too. I don't know why exactly but that disturbs me lol, a Pokemon texting eek.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I got major Who framed Roger Rabbit vibes, but didn't really like the film much.
Ryan Reynolds's performance is what held it together, but the "human cast" were just boring.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Justice Smith's performance is peculiar to me. He's not a particularly good foil to Reynolds Pikachu and lacks charisma and more or less just rolled through the main plot in a competent but perfunctory manner. But on the other hand he absolutely nailed all the emotional scenes and beats and is one of the most effective portrayals of an estranged son I've seen in a long while. The scene where Tim is talking to Pikachu about how he "should have went on that train" is arguably the best scene in the entire film.

Really his performance is emblematic of the whole movie when I think about it. Flawed but oddly effective in many important ways.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I can see how the next movie will deal with Tim working as a detective and potentially getting an actual partner Pokemon. Not sure what they'll do with the name of the movie though.

Liked the joke at the beginning where Tim's friend tells him throwing a pokeball requires no actual skill lol. Also did anyone catch what Pikachu wrote on the posted notes he put on Tim's back when they were in Lucy's office or were they just blank?

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I'm reviewing this for the BBC in a few weeks. I think I'll be giving the film a 3/5. The best parts of the movie were those focusing on the Pokemon themselves - for example the Mr Mime scene. Sadly the plot was a bit nonsensical and I think the second half of the film was weaker than the first.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Enjoyable, but plot was all over the place which makes sense given it was for kids.

I don't know how Tim just walks into the news station and get's within metres of what is considered the founder of the city - no security or anything.

Also, was it ever explained why Tim was needed to seperate pikachu and his father? Mewtwo had no issues doing it to everyone else a moment ago on a grand scale..

Love how Mewtwo was chilling in the forest waiting for them as well.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like if the movie had another 5 minutes of stuff to slow it down in the first two acts, at least before they break into the lab, it could have been better.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
An adequately made but nothing special movie. Some good jokes, ok acting, a story/world that doesn't make a complete mockery of the IP but isn't really anything too special either and somewhat falls apart near the end.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
An adequately made but nothing special movie. Some good jokes, ok acting, a story/world that doesn't make a complete mockery of the IP but isn't really anything too special either and somewhat falls apart near the end.
Basically this. I would've liked more exposure of the world itself, that sequence in the beginning was amazing. Gimme more of that.

Oct 2, 2018
Fun movie.
8/10

Saw the twist coming and not a Pokémon fan so I had no idea what most of the Pokémon's were

+
Its super weird that your son won't recognise your voice. That's all.

Last edited:

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Ditto and the reveal was great. The eyes look disturbing lol.

The sequel should be called Detective Pikachu Episode 2 - Attack of the Dittos XD

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I liked the ditto stuff to, but they were very obvious with it when it was in the woman's form. Pink hair and gloves? C'mon guys lol

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the ditto stuff to, but they were very obvious with it when it was in the woman's form. Pink hair and gloves? C'mon guys lol
It caught me off guard, but I wasn't really studying her since she only shows up for like 10 seconds. I just took her as the cool silent assassin type.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Super-fun, perfectly paced and well produced movie. Really enjoyed it. Lots of action and good jokes, too.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I was grinning like an idiot for the first several scenes. It's not a fantastic movie overall, but the translation of Pokémon to live action was fantastic. I hope we get more.

And yeah, like many people, I had the final "twist" guessed from the very first trailer.

milch

Oct 25, 2017
Thought it was a bit of a chore, but loved Pikachu.

Fucking Diplo, man. Random White Dude Be Everywhere, indeed.

Edit: I think what bothered me a bit was that Pikachu basically looked perfect (dat wet fur), but some others (Bulbasaur etc) looked extremely cartoonish.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
also I give it a 75%+ chance disney buys pokemon/nintendo now. After seeing that they made their money back off the Star Wars deal from merch alone... seems like an inevitability.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
also I give it a 75%+ chance disney buys pokemon/nintendo now. After seeing that they made their money back off the Star Wars deal from merch alone... seems like an inevitability.
Nintendo has systems in place to prevent that from happening. I'd imagine same with TPC.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Thought it was a bit of a chore, but loved Pikachu.

Fucking Diplo, man. Random White Dude Be Everywhere, indeed.

Edit: I think what bothered me a bit was that Pikachu basically looked perfect (dat wet fur), but some others (Bulbasaur etc) looked extremely cartoonish.
In the theater, my mind kept bouncing between "this is the best fur ever rendered" and "rodents don't have fur like this, it should be straight and coarse."

I settled on "it's a fantasy creature, whatever."

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This movie gets a 10/10 from me just for all the Squirtles that were shown on screen.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite movie podcast Blank Check with Griffin and David did a special episode with the screenwriters Benji Smit and Dan Hernandez

https://audioboom.com/posts/7258370-pokemon-detective-pikachu-with-dan-hernandez-benji-samit

Come learn how the Pika-sausage got made
I literally starting listen Blank Check yesterday and I was already looking forward for this
Blank Check is great. Even better when they have guest on the show.

Love their "The Prestige" Talk. Especially the opening lol

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I went to see this with my girlfriend yesterday, and while I kinda loved it, she turned to me at the end and said it was horrible haha.. She did like the look of it and Pikachu himself, I think she was disappointed with the story and some of the human cast. As was I really.. It was definitely kept simple enough that really small kids could understand it. As we left the theatre we both heard a kid maybe 4/5 say "I LOVE PIKACHU" - I think kids up to maybe 8/9 are the target market. Some of the visuals would be scary for them I imagine though - crazed aipoms, greninjas and ditto were kinda dark!

As I say, I loved it, and I'm not particularly well informed Pokemon wise, I hadn't played the 3DS Detective Pikachu game either. The visuals and music seemed super faithful, and if I'm disappointed about anything it's that Tim didn't really have a special connection with his Pikachu that enabled him to understand it... a pokemon film where the pokemon just make noises wouldn't have even half of the comedy potential.

Did anyone else get Batman 1989 vibes from the Pokemon Parade? They should have played Prince!

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
HOW DID TIM NOT RECOGNIZE HIS FATHER'S VOICE???
I spent a lot of time with my grandfather when I was young. He died when I was 11. I can't for the life of me remember the sound of his voice
Hahahahaha no

There's no reason to think that.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Yeah but I mean he was fine up until he got captured days later. Not a deal breaker tbh, I expected plot holes. I just don't understand people praising a sub-par movie full of plot holes and bad acting. I love pokemon and thought the world building and effects were great, but this isn't a good movie by any means.
I'm pretty experienced with acting and directing, and I would not call any of the acting bad. I thought it was quite good especially Tim. Really my only criticism would be of Reynolds because everybody's performances except his were grounded in reality

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
People say mavel movies look like TV???
This felt like a Netflix movie, I liked pikachu he was cute, but having never played a game the fan service did nothing for me

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Liked it way more than I was expecting to. Not the best, it's just such a fun movie. Don't know much about Pokémon but I loved the world they've set up.

tzmshizm

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the movie, but the weirdness of 'Bring the son to me and then i can heal the father's body' was... weird? Did Mewtwo need the genetic similarity between the father and son to do it?