• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've watched the film. Just one question.

Legendary Entertainment came out earlier and said a sequel is in development. How can there be a Detective Pikachu 2 after the events of the film?

Tim and Talking Pikachu are no more.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Legendary Entertainment came out earlier and said a sequel is in development. How can there be a Detective Pikachu 2 after the events of the film?

Well, Tim and his Dad discover one day that Pikachu is talking again! And they have to crack the case of who it is and why.

Starring Danny DeVito, of course.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Technically the Pikachu does work for the police so it is a "Detective" Pikachu. For a sequel though I would want Reynolds and Pikachu to take a backseat and have it be Lucy and Tim trying to crack a new case, away from Rhyme City, all the while Tim is trying his best to be a rookie detective and having to deal with a new partner Pokemon.

I would want the new location to be a small town area, kind of like Tim's hometown. The shots at the beginning with the Pokemon populated about were fantastic but when they went to the small town there were no Pokemon to be seen. Not everyone who grew up with Pokemon lived in the big city so I think there's a lot of potential with a more suburban locale.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Movie suffered from too much "do a thing, exposition dump, do a thing, exposition dump".

It was really stupid.

This movie is carried by Pikachu and just the Pokemon in general. I honestly didn't care one ounce about the main plot with the father.

4/10 for me.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Took my lads to see this at the weekend. They really enjoyed it. Could hear them playing Pokemon related role play things in the morning when they got us up with their various noises.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Add me to those disappointed by the lack of actual detecting in Detective Pikachu. It was just them going from one exposition character to another.

Also underutilized, Pikachu's ability to speak to Pokemon. The only Pokemon they got actual information out of were either mute or psychic. Everyone else was raged out on R.

Micke

Oct 29, 2017
A solid, fun movie. Seeing all the Pokémon in the world was fantastic and the animation was superb. The lead actor was okay and Renolds was really great. Too bad the girl playing the reporter girl was just awful.

So yeah, more Pokémon movies in this style, please.

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017
Just came back from it, quite enjoyed it.

I hadn't played the game so didn't realise how much they took from it till I was reading the wiki plot after we left the cinema. I'm super surprised Nintendo didn't try getting the game ported to Switch for the film release, but also not at all surprised because it's Nintendo.

It was quite weird at first seeing all these CG Pokemon but you get used to it as the film goes on and you let go of how real it needs to feel. The film as a whole wasn't anything special, but enjoyable enough and the little references to stuff were great. All the Pokemon looked pretty fantastic, the wife's favourite Pokemon has always been Bulbasaur and when they all appeared she had this giant smile on her face at seeing this childhood icon of hers on the big screen.

What I wasn't a massive fan of was the ending, Pikachu turning out to be the essence of his father was fine, but returning his father afterwards felt like a misstep. Maybe if it was the last film in a series, but for the end of the first one to essentially remove the main character didn't feel right, and if they do a sequel to then have to set that transformation up again. I would have left him in Pikachu, because the Detective Pikachu character was just so god damn adorable.

It would be nice if this was the start of a larger Pokemon film universe.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I adored the movie, but I'm extremely biased because anything Pokemon related is by default a delight to me unless proven otherwise.

Also Loudred making dubstep music in the club was inspired and super dope.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
man i wish this movie had more pokemon and ryan reynolds being pikachu

more detecting and more battles

that story was so fucking bad ugh

Movie suffered from too much "do a thing, exposition dump, do a thing, exposition dump".

It was really stupid.

This movie is carried by Pikachu and just the Pokemon in general. I honestly didn't care one ounce about the main plot with the father.

4/10 for me.

yup, awful.

what was good was amazing, I don't know how they could botch this.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
pNftLzr.jpg

Hahaha

I love this.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Was it ever explained how Tim can understand Pikadad in the first place?

Also, one thing I really did like was the use of Ditto. I expected the Henchwoman to be ditto as soon as I saw she worked for Howard, but I was not expecting the son to be Ditto; I just assumed he was working alongside the dad. It was also a phenomenal reveal with taking off the glasses to reveal those black beady eyes, and the Terminator 2-style "death" cycling through the different forms was a nice touch.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
Just came back from the film, which was certainly less solid than I'd hoped.

One thing that definitely didn't help is how prominently London landmarks feature in the film - really makes it hard to believe in Ryme City as a location!

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
Just came back from the cinema. My expectations were quite low after reading the impressions. Fortunately, the movie was enjoyable for me.
However, the movie has many issues and has many missed opportunities in my opinion. These are the most negative things for me (this all only my personal opinion):

• The flow of the movie felt very strange. It felt many times like that the movie wanted to go from one scene to the other as fast as possible. They didn't gave enough time to digest everything what happened.
  • Similiar to the first point, I also thought that the cutting was strange. Scenes got cutted so fast from one perspective to another perspective. I would have wished if the camera would have been more calm, so that I could observe the enviroments and Pokemon better.
  • The jokes were too much and too weak for me. The humor that came from Pikachu/Ryan Reynolds isn't quite my thing. Sometimes it felt like, if Pikachu hat to tell a joke every minute. And they felt forced to me sometimes. (However, I really liked the jokes that were about Pikachu's gestures and behaviour).
  • All three points above made the movie feel like being on an ADHD trip for me.
  • I found the thing about the giants Torterras dumb. The idea about gen-manipulated sizes is cool, but their sizes were just far too big and took the immersion a bit away.
  • The strongness of Psyduck's attack. It's like a mini atomic bomb. (This Pokemon should be illegal in Ryme City! ;P )
    Some characters were so extremely typical cliché. Even their costumes/outfits/behaviour reflected their chliché.
  • As stupid as it sounds, there was too little Pokemon in this Pokemon movie? I mean, I would like to have seen more interactions between Humans and Pokemon. (e.g.: seeing people lying on a Lapras in the lake, seeing people flying with their flying pokemon, people doing sports with Pokemon). We see it sometimes (like Pokemon cooking with their partner), but of the time the Pokemon were just there. We also don't see many times Pokemon using their skills. I wished a bit more.
  • All in all, the movie felt too Hollywood-cliché like, in that it tried to checked off all criteria to make this movie as secure as possible and trying with that to reach the masses. However I think that this strategy went backwards. (This all is just an estimation of my side)
Now this sounds far too negative then it really is and there are many things that the film did good. Like I said, I enjoyed the movie. However I feel like that there was potential for much more. If you're slightly interested in Pokemon, then go watch it. And if you have kids, they will probaby enjoy it hell a lot :-).

All that said, I reaaaaaaaally really really hope that they make more movies. I really like the world that they created and is such cool to see the Pokenon in a live action movie. Every live-action Pokemon movie will be day 1 one for me. Hope that the sales don't stop them to do more :(.

I need more! I need Pokemon Movies, Pokemon Live Action TV-Series, Pokemon Wildlife Documentaries, and more! ;P

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Its wrong, though. We have a pretty clear winner for strongest.

Add me to those disappointed by the lack of actual detecting in Detective Pikachu. It was just them going from one exposition character to another.

Also underutilized, Pikachu's ability to speak to Pokemon. The only Pokemon they got actual information out of were either mute or psychic. Everyone else was raged out on R.

The original game is for a very young audience, but it did have a lot of puzzle solving and interacting with Pokemon.

Last edited:

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Just came how from watching it. Fairly fun, it was lovely to see all the Pokemon living around and hanging out with Humans. The villain was predicatble as all hell solely due to who the actor is lol I swear I only see him playing villains haha That said, it still had some cool twists here and there, so definitely worth the watch!

Also, god damnit I want a Cubone so much right now!!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are the police so insistent that Detective Goodman is dead, when they haven't even found a body?

"Sorry Tim, but nobody could have survived an accident like that. Case Closed!"

"Well if nobody could survive then how did my dad manage to get up and walk away and ---"

"Case closed!"

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
EDIT: just read the plot from the Detective Pikachu game and the movie adapta way more from the game than I could've ever imagined! And we still have people saying this is not a videogame movie adaptation?
Were your expectations super low? The movie lifted some names, the general idea of missing dad/talking pikachu, a dumb forced romance, and uhhhh? Honestly not much else. The movie villians goals, use of "R", non-existant detective stuff and more are way different than the game. I also don't recall the game having the whole "every person has a partner pokémon" thing.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it again. Still loved it. Was able to notice Ms. Norman's pink fingerless gloves which was a nice touch to go with part of the hair being pink. And that Cynthia newscaster...the resemblance isn't quite there, but the black outfit with the gold striped belt, one could make a case for that being a Cynthia easter egg.

And I managed to get cards this time (didn't bother the first time I saw the movie). Got the standard Det. Pikachu card along with Magikarp, Bulbasaur (x3), Charmander, Lickitung and Psyduck

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Were your expectations super low? The movie lifted some names, the general idea of missing dad/talking pikachu, a dumb forced romance, and uhhhh? Honestly not much else. The movie villians goals, use of "R", non-existant detective stuff and more are way different than the game. I also don't recall the game having the whole "every person has a partner pokémon" thing.

To me it lifted a world where intelligent animals with an impressive ability for fighting live with humans. In this world people capture these animals and become Pokemon trainers where these creatures battle at tournaments. This is all shown at the start.

However, in the region this movie takes place in, the professor has outlawed these practices yet the hero still gets into an underground gym fight and discusses moves with Pikachu. As the main characters continue their adventure, Pikachu rides on the shoulders of his partner like Let's Go Pikachu. There are Pokemon evolutions also.

Like, you can choose to see this stuff or not to. Everyone comes away looking at it differently, but this is how I viewed it.

I kept thinking to myself "I wish this came out when I was a kid."

Just came back from the film, which was certainly less solid than I'd hoped.

One thing that definitely didn't help is how prominently London landmarks feature in the film - really makes it hard to believe in Ryme City as a location!

I also saw the double decker red buses and London Underground signs on my second viewing. I wonder if maybe this city is supposed to be an amalgamation of cities and everyone can see something because the train system looked like the Tokyo train systems.

Last edited:

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
  • As stupid as it sounds, there was too little Pokemon in this Pokemon movie? I mean, I would like to have seen more interactions between Humans and Pokemon. (e.g.: seeing people lying on a Lapras in the lake, seeing people flying with their flying pokemon, people doing sports with Pokemon). We see it sometimes (like Pokemon cooking with their partner), but of the time the Pokemon were just there. We also don't see many times Pokemon using their skills. I wished a bit more.
Yeah, I had this takeaway too. Like we got a few interactions here and there, but mostly it's just Joe Pedestrian walking to work with his Aipom/Sneasel/Pancham in tow. Also, am I misremembering things, or were there like no children in any of the city shots? Like it's the population of an open world game.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
To me it lifted a world where intelligent animals with an impressive ability for fighting live with humans. In this world people capture these animals and become Pokemon trainers where these creatures battle at tournaments. This is all shown at the start.

However, in the region this movie takes place in, the professor has outlawed these practices yet the hero still gets into an underground gym fight and discusses moves with Pikachu. As the main characters continue their adventure, Pikachu rides on the shoulders of his partner like Let's Go Pikachu. There are Pokemon evolutions also.

Like, you can choose to see this stuff or not to. Everyone comes away looking at it differently, but this is how I viewed it.
Thats all general Pokémon stuff though. As an adaptation of specifically the Detective Pikachu game it falls flat imo.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I had this takeaway too. Like we got a few interactions here and there, but mostly it's just Joe Pedestrian walking to work with his Aipom/Sneasel/Pancham in tow. Also, am I misremembering things, or were there like no children in any of the city shots? Like it's the population of an open world game.

You might be right. I don't remember seeing any children

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the double decker red buses and London Underground signs on my second viewing. I wonder if maybe this city is supposed to be an amalgamation of cities and everyone can see something because the train system looked like the Tokyo train systems.

It's not just the buses and the roundels! Two London buildings feature prominently in the shots of the city (the Gherkin and the Cheesegrater, where I believe CNM is meant to be based), and then there are the businesses! It turns out that Ryme City is home to both Pret and Lloyds.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017

It's highly possible that the sequel will be in the same universe but with different characters.
Also depending on how deep lore they go it's very possible to just have Pokemon talking without Mewtwo doing anything.
The movies have shown that a variety of Pokemon have the ability to talk to humans telepathically and in the show- Meowths whole origin story is that he gained the ability to talk to humans at the loss of being able to use Pokemon moves with any real power behind them.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This might probably be the most predictable movie in ages lol :) I liked it, but jeez, it was so obvious what's gonna happen the moment the people switching was established.

Also, way too little detective-ing and way too few Pokemon. Or to use the better wording, too little pokemon variety.
But all that said, it was a fun kids movie and a great concept for more to come.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I hated Detective Pikachu. The hour and thirty minutes felt like forever. As usual, I won't really entertain the "only a children's film" argument as there is much better in that realm. Honestly, Detective Pikachu simply belongs in the bin with other poorly executed game-based films. The acting and script was horrible for the most part. I had forgotten Ryan Reynolds was even in the film because the material surrounding him was so bland. I don't know how you can mess up an underground Pokemon fight, but it surprisingly turned out really lame. Gyarados is one of my favorite monsters, so for it to shift the poor scene out with a little splash was a topping to the misery.

The film being predictable is the least of its worries. I overlook this for entertaining movies or a good sleuth. This was the opposite of either.

The Mr.Mime part is sadly one of the better parts despite mime gags long being a go-to in comedy films anyways. I found the use of Pokemon in the movie really dull overall for the vast amount of material they had to work with. It felt like work getting through the scenes, which is really sad. Its only real accomplishment is that it was even worse than the subpar trailers made it out to be.

Cool Ditto though!

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I should preface this by saying I played the Detective Pikachu game. So I definitely knew what was going on before the first preview even started.

That being said, I thought it was cute. I really just want to see more of this world. I think that was where the movie was at its best. Reynolds definitely carries the material.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Well, I just saw DP, and it was... weird. On the positive side, it's unapologetically a Pokemon movie. I think it succeeds at bringing Pokemon's strange world to life and captures much about what makes it fun. The Mr. Mime scene had me in stiches. But on the negative side, it's a stupid movie with a completely ridiculous plot. The villain's motivation and evil plan is absolute nonsense, which is par for the course for the franchise, but I expected a little more from a theatrical production. Mewtwo is squandered, and I hope he comes back in a future Pokemon movie that better elaborates on his history and motivations.

Ultimately I enjoyed the movie, even though it's deeply flawed. I'd give it 5.5, and only recommend it to people who already like Pokemon.

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed it. It felt so oddly paced, but I still quite liked it. Wasn't the greatest thing ever, but oh well.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They actually made a Pokemon movie look and feel good; which as far as videogames movies, is a goddamn miracle.

Cheers to the CG team who made the pocket monsters look/act as they would in the show/game
And props to the props department for creating such gorgeous sets.

The movie didn't astound on its own merit, but the fact that it took such a big risk and wasn't a steaming pile in honestly incredible given the dirt reputation game-movies have.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
That ending was a 10/10 twist (with actualvRyan Renolds being his dad lol). Everyone in my theatre went wtf lol.

Anyway, had it's problems but I enjoyed it quite a lot. Mr Mime part was hilarious

Last edited:

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I liked the movie but I don't think I would have if I wasn't a huge Pokemon fan. I thought the first half of it was hilarious like seriously laugh out loud funny jokes that were unexpected. You could see the ending coming a mile away, and by the end I got kind of tired of seeing the same Pokemon used multiple times over in the film but thought it was a very charming and well cared for first live action entry in the Pokemon series.

One of the funniest things to me though was when Tim was hanging on the edge of the building and Cubone is clubbing at his fingers, and then Roger punts Ditto into oblivion never to be seen again. Also the evolving Magikarp was super fucking good too.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Ok just watched it and...
Man that was really bad.
And that's coming from a huge Pokemon fan.

It was cool seeing all the Pokemon in the real world (though disappointingly, there wasn't as much variation in different locales as I would have liked). But even the CGi wasn't that consistent. I noticed a scene where a Charmander was basically floating on a woman's lap and my friend saw an unanimated sneasel. There was also no shadows on some stuff lol Overall though, it looked pretty cool, especially Pikachu.
Ryan Reynolds pretty much made the movie bearable. The ending was a nice twist at least but the rest of the script was just dumb. Like someone above said, it was one exposition dump after another.
And WTF was the torterra scene. That was straight up a waste of time. And somehow they end up back at the car as if the entire earth didn't fracture. Similarly, Tim goes from the top of the building to the bottom to see Pikachu after he falls in like 3 seconds.
Why did ditto guy need three robots to capture Mewtwo and bring 0 Pokemon to back him up. Why was Pikachu the only Pokemon in rhyme city to fight against mewtwo. Why did the main baddie let Tim come up the building in the first place.
And the fact that they didn't actually solve anything, but instead were fed plot info bit by bit from holograms or Mewtwo was super dumb
I felt like the movie had so much potential and it was all just lost to bad scriptwriting.
Still enjoyable for the sake of seeing cg Pokemon and Pikachu was the star, but honestly I think it was a disappointing film overall
Sorry for the rant

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Just got out, had a blast surprisingly.

Haven't caught up with the thread, but has everyone seen the concept art from the film Carlos Huante has been posting?

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
So Amazon just sent me an email about the bluray release date being June 3rd 2019. There's no way that can be right, yeah? It's only like two weeks away.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I enjoyed the movie greatly. To preface, I only have played Let's Go Pikachu and like, one second of Pokemon Go. I had no expectations or demands to see any particular Pokemon, but I really enjoyed the world that they created in this movie. It was a pretty standard kids movie with no real twists or surprises, but I really didn't care..? I was too interested in seeing the world come alive and see what set-piece came next. I think if they continue to make these, they should be relatively successful, and it gives me hope for some good movies based on game IP in the future. Pokemon was definitely a very safe bet to make a film adaptation of, as there are years of anime, manga, and movies under its belt. The true test will come when Illumination's Mario movie hits the silver screen.

Until then, enjoyed this!

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Although DP creates a wonderful pokemon world but its still afraid of showing pokemon fighting. All the best bits are in the trailer.

CovFan

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any links in this film production wise to Home Alone because I did notice early on that the "detective film" from Home Alone appears.

EDIT// Just read the earlier thread, disregard.

Last edited: