• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Saw it today. It's not perfect, but it was a lot of fun. I'm actually disappointed that crime solving Ryan Reynolds Pikachu isn't possible for a sequel.

For reference, I haven't cared about Pokemon since Gold/Silver.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it! I was smiling for much of the movie. Wasn't looking for some kind of Pixar-tier storytelling. I just wanted to enjoy a live-action Pokemon movie, and I did. It laid a decent foundation for future live-action Pokemon movies. Ditto was great and seeing Gengar in action was my favorite part. I just wish they would have used the ditto scene to throw in a couple more Pokemon we hadn't already seen in the movie.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, back up to 65% yet again on RT, I didn't expect that! Also we need more movies in this universe!

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just got out from seeing this movie.

I absolutely loooooooovvvvved it.

It's such a fun charming movie with a lot of heart. Honestly, all the general complaints I've been reading didn't bother me in the slightest. They were nowhere near as bad as people made them out to be.

Ryan Reynolds and Justice Smith knock it out of the park and have wonderful chemistry. The Pokémon and the whole world was so filled with genuine life and wonder. Nothing felt out of place or generic about it.

This is gonna sound weird, but in a way, this is what Fantastic Beasts should've been.

A fun movie where the world of incredible creatures takes center stage.

This needs to be a thing. I need more of this in my veins.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it today and it was fantastic. Absolutely loved it despite some of it's obvious flaws. (Like I can't believe they kept that script for the reporter's intro, felt like a Nickelodeon movie). The special effects were wild, the movie was genuinely funny, had some good heartfelt moments, and a few of the twists were good.

The Ditto twist completely floored me.

The villain's plan was basically this.
b09.png

which is both fantastic and awful at once.

Justice Smith did a great job. Ryan Reynolds too. Pikachu sadly singing the pokemon theme was perfect. I'm curious how that joke works in Japan.

Honestly, if I had to rewatch either Detective Pikachu or Endgame again, I would easily choose Pikachu.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Just saw it today and it was fantastic. Absolutely loved it despite some of it's obvious flaws. (Like I can't believe they kept that script for the reporter's intro, felt like a Nickelodeon movie). The special effects were wild, the movie was genuinely funny, had some good heartfelt moments, and a few of the twists were good.

The Ditto twist completely floored me.

The villain's plan was basically this.
b09.png

which is both fantastic and awful at once.

Justice Smith did a great job. Ryan Reynolds too. Pikachu sadly singing the pokemon theme was perfect. I'm curious how that joke works in Japan.

Honestly, if I had to rewatch either Detective Pikachu or Endgame again, I would easily choose Pikachu.
Yeah, the dialogue wasn't great at times but that moment was really bad. The movie really could've benefited from being a bit longer. With her character in particular, I could see what they were going for, but there wasn't enough screentime to develop it. I still liked it and can't wait to see where they go from here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching it with the wife and kids and we all loved it. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with Justice Smith, his acting was pretty good. Not the best, but it was certainly a league above the reporter lady who's name I've forgotten. And even with her, part of it was just that she was more an exposition dumping/plot device and thus had no natural dialogue.

The ending wasn't a surprise, and the first time at heart strings moment fell flat and was unearned... But the ending? I teared a bit, it was well done.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Overall felt like the movie needed more world building. I can see this baffling people not familiar with the franchise. That said, the core dynamic is strong, and I wouldn't mind more movies in this universe. Maybe tone down the legendary Pokémon stuff though and try to keep the mysteries somewhat more grounded.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Just got back from this earlier. Long time Pokémon fan. I started gaming because of Pokémon Blue. Getting that and my GBC for Christmas that year was one of the best gifts I ever received when I was a kid. This movie though? I had to use all my willpower to not get up and leave in the middle of it. I hated it so much.

• Justice Smith was like a wooden board the entire time. I thought the female costar was equally as bad.
• Didn't like RR as Pikachu. Just felt like Deadpool lite. Humor fell completely flat for me.
• CGI was rough. Wow. That scene with the bulbasaurs was so immersion breaking, I couldn't believe it. It looked like straight out of the early 20s.
• Plot twists you could see from the beginning of the movie. Characters work so hard to solve a mystery you can just guess instantly once the concepts are presented to you.
• Story was just nonsensical. Why did Evil British Man suddenly want to turn everybody into Pokémon for some reason? Shit makes no sense. How did the main character not know Pika was his dad when they have the exact same voice?
• Just flat out boring at times. I couldn't stop looking at my phone to check the time. It felt like I was watching a 3 hour movie when it was only like an hour and a half.

The only thing I liked was the ending credits since I thought it was cool looking.

Juj

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just watched it yesterday - absolutely loved it. Such an adoring film, humorous, plot twists that could be seen a mile away sure, but dude it's a Pokémon movie.

I need more of it. More of mime too, that was hilarious

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just took 4 8 year old boys to see this we all loved it, the world was brilliant and really hope there's more in it.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watched it with my mates yesterday and it was pretty mediocre, had some good fanservice and fun moments but the pacing was completely wack, the humans were complete cardboard, and the story was bad with a capital B. Enjoyed the Pokemon designs and wold though.

I can see how it'd be great for kids thought.

Oct 27, 2018
I've just watched Detective Pikachu. What a dreadful movie. The CGI absolutely sucks, the story is just dumb and boring, and if you don't like Ryan Reynolds there is literally nothing to enjoy.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Can we talk about the fact that the Ryme City owns the press and can dictate reports word-for-word? How bleak

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Pikachu singing the English anime theme song just felt like annoying fan service to me, especially with how Ryan seemingly can't pronounce Pokemon.

Can we talk about the fact that the Ryme City owns the press and can dictate reports word-for-word? How bleak

Ryme City was built in the last few years wasn't it? with one crazy guy who owns half the city and some crazy technology. Its like a weird Bioshock spinoff.

Last edited: