• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Let's GO!

• Pikachu

Votes: 542 27.2%
  • Eevee

Votes: 920 46.3%
  • Home

Votes: 527 26.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the worst thing about Mr. Mime is having a gendered term in the name of a species which can be both male and female

Mr. Mime and Seaking aggravate the hell out of me

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
weren't the sun and moon website registered like a day before the announcement?

Oct 26, 2017
I realise that, but the point was a new Kanto game can be so much more than what a lot of people think. It's not just the same map and locations made to look pretty on new hardware. It's whole new towns and cities that we have never seen before, new gyms new pokemon new forms and evolutions that have been discovered in the 20 years since we were last in Kanto. New story new characters new gameplay mechanics, more open world more freedom to chose how you progress in your adventure. A new Kanto game on the Switch could be just as new and exciting as an entire new region could be.

I get the feeling that a lot of people hate the idea of a new Kanto game because they are expecting it to be akin to Fire Red and Leaf Green where it just replayed the same scenario as Red and Blue but with prettier graphics. I would hope that wouldn't be the case.

It doesn't work like that. Even if you add different things to each of the areas in Kanto, the problem still remains, which is that you're still dealing with the map design of Kanto being the same as it was 20+ years ago. Kanto being open world and free wouldn't necessarily change that. People trying to add Alolan Form logic to Kanto are forgetting the fact that Kanto has relatively tame climate and environmental design compared to Alola. If anything, that would make a lot more sense in places like Hoenn or Sinnoh.

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
It doesn't work like that. Even if you add different things to each of the areas in Kanto, the problem still remains, which is that you're still dealing with the map design of Kanto being the same as it was 20+ years ago. Kanto being open world and free wouldn't necessarily change that. People trying to add Alolan Form logic to Kanto are forgetting the fact that Kanto has relatively tame climate and environmental design compared to Alola. If anything, that would make a lot more sense in places like Hoenn or Sinnoh.
Not that I would advocate such a thing, but remember that the climate of Black and White's region completely changed in the sequels for plot reasons and I wouldn't put it past them to do it again

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I would advocate such a thing, but remember that the climate of Black and White's region completely changed in the sequels for plot reasons and I wouldn't put it past them to do it again

The region's climate didn't really change; there was just the sequence in Opelucid with the Neo Plasma Kyurem-powered ship that froze some places. But otherwise the region just has a few new cities with distinct climates, and there's dynamic weather of varying types based on the place.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
What amount of Pokemon do you like in your games?
Maybe 200-300 in a regional 'dex. If you have more than that, the region can't do enough to distinguish its wildlife from others' (see: Kalos). USUM's 'dex pushes it, but not as far as XY did, and the Legendaries / Ultra Beasts don't factor into your typical random encounters the same way non-Legendaries do. Fewer than 200, and you start to get a lot of repeats (Kanto, BW Unova).

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
I gave up. I gave up when youtubers pulled up an interview from mid 2017, took literally everything out of context, and thought open world was happening.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved BW Unova since it felt like you were always encountering new stuff outside of the "grunt" Pokemon being fairly common a lot of places (Pidove, Lilipup, Purrloin, Roggenrola lines among some others).

But really the Hoenn approach is perfect. 202 total in the regional dex, 66 old Pokemon (~33%) and 136 new ones (~67%). I could even stand to see the number of older Pokemon in this ratio increase a bit, and then there's new regional variants (which I pretty much consider to be new Pokemon).

Really the most important thing to me is a wealth of new monsters. The sub-100 thing isn't really doing anything for me; I really look forward to new Pokemon games for the excitement of encountering and raising new monsters. But one thing Gen 7 did very right was giving all the old Pokemon new dex entries, which was sorely needed. I hope new entries for every Pokemon in the regional dex is a standard going forward. It was the first time I found myself actually trying to catch old Pokemon in a very long time.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fkHjA4x.png

According to this totally trustworthy Instagram ad I saw, the Pokémon game for 2018 is in fact a remake.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With Pokemon Switch, I hope they take a page out if Monolith Soft's book and add quests to mythical pokemon. With Zeraora coming so late, there's not much point if you dont care about competitive. It's just... there. Having a story along with it flashes out the world so much more. It's a good way to make good on their promise to be more expressive with their stories

Oct 26, 2017
We've stopped getting the "quests" (or rather events) for mythical Pokemon since the 4th Generation. For whatever reason GF has always stuck to gifting Mythicals. It'd be nice to get catchable Mythicals again (especially something like Delta Episode Deoxys. For as much as I hate Delta Episode as postgame content, catchable Deoxys was cool).

We should go back to the days of downloading an item to get to a location to catch these mons.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
For whatever reason GF has always stuck to gifting Mythicals.
Their research found that the younger audience just got the items and seldom went and followed through, as it could be too confusing. That's why the Azure Flute event never happened and why the Eon Ticket in ORAS literally dragged you to each point rather than let you discover it yourself

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Their research found that the younger audience just got the items and seldom went and followed through, as it could be too confusing. That's why the Azure Flute event never happened and why the Eon Ticket in ORAS literally dragged you to each point rather than let you discover it yourself
Which is mind blowing to me. Like, wtf, you just got an item to get a legendary Pokémon, probably with clear instructions on where to go, and you just... don't go? Sure, your loss, but apparently we all had to pay for it. It's like they are always appealing to the lower common denominator in the worst way possible.

EDIT: This is coming from the same company that got popular for the mistery of Mew and that wasn't afraid of putting the most cryptic quest imaginable in Ruby and Sapphire with the Regis. What happened during Gen IV? We even got two of the coolest quests in HGSS with the Celebi one and the Sinjoh Ruins and after that...nothing.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean Game Freak decided to learn the wrong lessons rather than do something sensible

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait

GameFreak and their stupid researches.

Oct 26, 2017

I feel like there's a better solution if GF allowed for an item that functions like a quest log or something of that sort where you can keep track of events taking place. An item like that would allow for the region to open up since you don't have to railroad players from A to B, while at the same time, not being too nonlinear that it becomes overwhelming for the younger fans.

InkyVulture

Oct 26, 2017
Great first post !

At this point in time I'm just scrolling for images and tweets as it's impossible to actually keep up with you all.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I made a vow to myself , if we dont hear anything from nin meeting tomorrow im done with rumours
I will just wait to E3 cause its getting crazy or im getting crazy i dont even know

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which is mind blowing to me. Like, wtf, you just got an item to get a legendary Pokémon, probably with clear instructions on where to go, and you just... don't go? Sure, your loss, but apparently we all had to pay for it. It's like they are always appealing to the lower common denominator in the worst way possible.

EDIT: This is coming from the same company that got popular for the mistery of Mew and that wasn't afraid of putting the most cryptic quest imaginable in Ruby and Sapphire with the Regis. What happened during Gen IV? We even got two of the coolest quests in HGSS with the Celebi one and the Sinjoh Ruins and after that...nothing.
That regi quest was amazing. Me and my best friend pieced it together when we were ten. (For whatever reason we didn't even think of looking on the internet) It was so much fun because it felt like we had really discovered something. We randomly stumbled across the underwater cave in that water route and found the braille code. I recognised the braille as I had read the Fire Red manual which had a page showing the braille patterns for each letter and a few symbols. We were so exited at this that we walked the mile from his house to my house at about 9pm while it was dark, found the Fire Red manual in my room and walked back again. We translated the codes into a HM moves which we used until the last room that translated into some thing like "FIRST COME RELICANTH, LAST COME WAILORD". Neither of us had heard of these Pokemon so we were stuck for a while. But I eventually evolved my Wailmer into a Wailord and he found a Rellicanth somehow. I can't remember how we found the three buildings with the regis in but god it so amazing when we did.

There is nothing like that in Pokemon these days and that makes me a bit sad to be honest.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
I always wondered why they had stopped doing catchable event Pokémon.
It's a bit of a shame, I always really liked them.

Oct 26, 2017
Completely baseless speculation but it seems like "2018 or later" is going to be aiming at around the Q4-Q2 mark. Just recently I was saying that 2018 or 2019 could go either way, and it looks like that'll be the case (compared to Xenoblade 2 where Nintendo was saying 2017 and people expected delays).

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
NEW NINTENDO PRESIDENT IS POKEMON BOARD MEMBER, POKEMON HAS NOW FULLY INFILTRATED THE UPPER ECHELONS OF NINTENDO MANAGEMENT. POKEMON IS THE FUTURE

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
That regi quest was amazing. Me and my best friend pieced it together when we were ten. (For whatever reason we didn't even think of looking on the internet) It was so much fun because it felt like we had really discovered something. We randomly stumbled across the underwater cave in that water route and found the braille code. I recognised the braille as I had read the Fire Red manual which had a page showing the braille patterns for each letter and a few symbols. We were so exited at this that we walked the mile from his house to my house at about 9pm while it was dark, found the Fire Red manual in my room and walked back again. We translated the codes into a HM moves which we used until the last room that translated into some thing like "FIRST COME RELICANTH, LAST COME WAILORD". Neither of us had heard of these Pokemon so we were stuck for a while. But I eventually evolved my Wailmer into a Wailord and he found a Rellicanth somehow. I can't remember how we found the three buildings with the regis in but god it so amazing when we did.

There is nothing like that in Pokemon these days and that makes me a bit sad to be honest.

This is what it's all about. Loved reading this story. Thanks for sharing. Yeah I wish there was more in the recent games like that. There certainly was a bit of mystery surrounding the early pokemon games. I remember lots of trading of theories at school about secrets and what not.

It's bee said many times before, but it would definitely be nice to have the hand holding in the next game turned down significantly.

Oct 26, 2017
Man. Still 2018 or later? What does that even mean at this point?

I'm guessing it might have to do with spreading out the releases. Looking at their timeline, they're expecting to get Fire Emblem and Smash out in 2018, both of them will likely be towards the holiday season, so where does that leave Pokemon?

Long shot theory: might be related to development not being 100% complete yet. Who knows?

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
2018 or later truly is the worst outcome for this thread.

A solid 2018 would have sent the hype into overdrive.

A solid 2019 would have given us breathing room.

2018 or later merely intensifies the madness.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
These are all the same dates as stated in trailers before. Likely this is just a list and not an update of anything. If they have a general idea when these games are coming out they're not going to tell us in a list like this.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

Well let me tell you something, now days you could find everything on the internet ,so stories like your wont happen in 1 of a million chance . People wont waste that much time looking into something for just one pokemon while they just could find the solution on the internet in 5 second , also kids now days are
Deferent than lets say 15 or 18 years ago

It would be just waste of time for devs and people playing the game too.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Well let me tell you something, now days you could find everything on the internet ,so stories like your wont happen in 1 of a million chance . People wont waste that much time looking into something for just one pokemon while they just could find the solution on the internet in 5 second , also kids now days are
Deferent than lets say 15 or 18 years ago

It would be just waste of time for devs and people playing the game too.

15 or 18 years ago people used strategy guides. Just because you can solve something using the internet doesn't mean everyone will.

Status
Not open for further replies.