• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Let's GO!

• Pikachu

Votes: 542 27.2%
  • Eevee

Votes: 920 46.3%
  • Home

Votes: 527 26.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man. Still 2018 or later? What does that even mean at this point?
It means that they haven't made any new announcements.

Some of you are really misunderstanding what these release lists actually mean. They aren't a venue for making new announcements, they simply collect what has already been announced- in this case, the E3 announcement from last year, and the fact that it may be a year or more from that point until the games see release.

When an announcement is made, the list will be changed, but not before.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
15 or 18 years ago people used strategy guides. Just because you can solve something using the internet doesn't mean everyone will.
Not everyone knew about those , I too didnt know

But internet? Everyone knows

I know not all people would use the internet, but most will.
Espeacilly if it was complicated , but not as 'mysterious' as before do to the wide access of the internet now.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon releasing within the next 11 months is all but confirmed thanks to the forecast for the fiscal year.

It has to be announced at E3 or earlier.

fleante

Oct 28, 2017
It means that they haven't made any new announcements.

Some of you are really misunderstanding what these release lists actually mean. They aren't a venue for making new announcements, they simply collect what has already been announced- in this case, the E3 announcement from last year, and the fact that it may be a year or more from that point until the games see release.

When an announcement is made, the list will be changed, but not before.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a surprise I knew it wasn't going to change.

Nintendo expects 100 million software sales this fiscal year. Yeah you'll need Pokémon for that. I said if it stayed 2018 or later that confirms it to me. Once Pokémon is announced in May, then they'll update it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe gamefreak is on a crunch trying to push the game out this year, but don't know yet.
That's not how it works...

It means they'll update it after the games are fully revealed. You guys overthink this way too much. Metroid Prime 4 could come this year. Nintendo doesn't have to update it to 2018 right now.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
E3 is what 6/7 weeks away? So if we don't hear something either before that or at E3, then it's a 2019 title.

I feel like this is the safest bet. However, I think if it's not being revealed at or before E3, they'd want to say so and get those expectations out of the way beforehand. The investor meeting would be a likely time to do that.

Redstreak

Jan 17, 2018
Still being listed as 2018 or later confirms it's not holiday 2019. It has to be very early 2019 at the latest if it's not coming holiday 2018. There's no way they're doing 100 million software without it. Granted imo it's definitely the holiday title. It's already almost May, they should have a rough estimate on when it's coming and if it's not the holiday title (which everyone is speculating it to be) they would say so

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
With it still being listed as 2018 or later as of now ... there has to be a certain confidence that they might make it. Still, Nintendo might think that Pokemon is big enough on it's own and aim for early 2019 but stil in the 2018 FY (basically, until the end of March).

But Pokemon for this years holidays ... that would be a statement.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that tells me that Pokémon is out this year more than anything is that software forecast.

100 m pieces of software over the next 12 months is a huge amount, and, as big as Smash is, I can't see it contributing enough as the sole tentpole.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
2018 or later just reflects the latest announcement. I'm sure Nintendo actually knows internally when it's coming out.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that tells me that Pokémon is out this year more than anything is that software forecast.

100 m pieces of software over the next 12 months is a huge amount, and, as big as Smash is, I can't see it contributing enough as the sole tentpole.

Dunno, E³ is coming up, and we know Nintendo never reveals their full line-up early on. Just think they could drop a Animal Crossing annoucement at E³, together with Fire Emblem and ... dunno ... a port/deluxe edition of Mario Maker.

There's enough things they could do to reach the forecast without Pokemon, seeing as the year 1 games continue to sell stupid amounts. ^^

But i certainly hope Pokemon makes it for holidays 2018. ^^

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem and Mario Maker might make 10 million cumulatively- maybe more if Mario finds a wider audience.

Pokémon will handily do more than that itself, worst case scenario.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Many people won't buy a Switch and leave their 3DS behind until Polémon is released. I'm sure of it.

You need Pokémon.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon will be annouced after E3, just to mess with us lol

People will start saying it's a 2019 release then out of nowhere TCP will surprise us lol
The Pokemon Company and GameFreak love trolling.

Wishy-Washy

Nov 26, 2017
So still could go either way, huh.
But I'm still betting on 2018.

Pokemon sells much more than Smash, tho.
There is, but that franchise has maxed out at around the lowest amount that a Pokémon game can be relied on to sell. It's not going to enough on its own.
I'm not saying that it accomplish that all on its own, honestly I doubt even Pokemon Switch could do that, but it will still provide a big boost because Smash is a well-known franchise to the public and combined with other games like Fire Emblem Switch, possibly Animal Crossing and 2D Mario, as well as already released games like BotW and Odyssey, I could see them selling that much without Pokemon this year, though I do feel Pokemon Switch is more likely this year myself.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
There is, but that franchise has maxed out at around the lowest amount that a Pokémon game can be relied on to sell. It's not going to do enough on its own.
This is what people keep missing.

Smash Bros. does well, but it's not the insane massive system seller people make it out to be.

Much like Metroid, except Smash actually sells.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
So we can't ignore the fact that Nintendo's next boss is a Pokemon Company head, right? I have been saying it for months, and this recent development cements it further for me, but expect from Switch onwards way more and major synergy between the companies regarding the IP. I really won't be surprised if Pokemon does turn out to be their big headline title for E3, and Smash being announced so early was done in a way to leave the showfloor open for it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fire Emblem has to be the most overrated Nintendo series in sales. It's not as big as you think. I do expect this Fire Emblem to easily be the best selling FE game.

Like I said a while ago Pokémon will sell 20+ million on Switch. The industry is healthier than ever for software sales. Every series from Nintendo to Sony to MS to third party games seem to sell gangbusters.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Fire Emblem has to be the most overrated Nintendo series in sales. It's not as big as you think. I do expect this Fire Emblem to easily be the best selling FE game.

Like I said a while ago Pokémon will sell 20+ million on Switch. The industry is healthier than ever for software sales. Every series from Nintendo to Sony to MS to third party games seem to sell gangbusters.
Well, it's not a huge seller, but it IS a big deal. Fire Emblem is like an A Tier Nintendo franchise at this point which is crazy considering it is, well, freaking Fire Emblem.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
100 million software sales for this fiscal year is the megaton here. They must have planned some big titles and even with Pokémon moving so much software is not a certain thing.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm just weird since I give probably less than 1/5 of a shit how much it sells versus what the game is like.

I just need to see it. It's an undeniably big moment for the series. If it's coming this year, it's time to start giving us some glimpses of how they plan to evolve the series.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, it's not a huge seller, but it IS a big deal. Fire Emblem is like an A Tier Nintendo franchise at this point which is crazy considering it is, well, freaking Fire Emblem.
I know it's big. I said it's not a huge seller. It'll easily be the best selling FE game.

The series was so close to being put on the shelf.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I guess I'm just weird since I give probably less than 1/5 of a shit how much it sells versus what the game is like.

I just need to see it. It's an undeniably big moment for the series. If it's coming this year, it's time to start giving us some glimpses of how they plan to evolve the series.

I don't think anyone cares so much how well it sells (since the series consistently sells very well). We're all just speculating if their sales forecasts means the game is coming this year or not.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

We're just having a conversation of sales since it pertains to Nintendo's forecast. All of us have 400+ pages on discussion of the quality of the next Pokémon games lol.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

X and Y didn't reach 20 million and they are cheaper and on a bigger platform than what Pokemon Switch will release on.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone cares so much how well it sells (since the series consistently sells very well). We're all just speculating if their sales forecasts means the game is coming this year or not.

We're just having a conversation of sales since it pertains to Nintendo's forecast. All of us have 400+ pages on discussion of the quality of the next Pokémon games lol.

Fair enough. I'm just conditioned to seeing the argument that Pokemon's consistently high sales numbers means that it won't or shouldn't change.

I'll be so bold as to say that the series making a huge leap forward could rocket its sales to new heights. I don't think simply being on Switch will do so, though it'll probably see a boost. I think for the series to reach a significant number of new people, it will need to offer something really spectacular.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
You can say the same for Kirby, 3D Mario and yet...

Switch attach-rates and software sales are in another league compared to the 3DS.

Don't get me wrong, Pokemon Switch will sell a lot, but it still competes with 3DS Pokemon games and is more expensive. These are just facts that affect the equation.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
You can say the same for Kirby, 3D Mario and yet...

Switch attach-rates and software sales are in another league compared to the 3DS.

Gens 1 and 2 are the only Gens to sell more than 20 million though. I could see Pokemon Switch selling 20+ million if:
-Switch is a bigger success than the 3DS
-Pokemon Go continues to be popular
-Detective Pikachu the movie isn't a dumpster fire and manages to give the series a sales boost
-They don't release another entry just a year later like what happened with X/Y and Sun/Moon (which they probably should, since making 8+ million sales from another game is smarter than just slightly increasing the sales of the original)

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong, Pokemon Switch will sell a lot, but it still competes with 3DS Pokemon games and is more expensive. These are just facts that affect the equation.
The facts of the equation is there are plenty of people who want to buy console made Pokémon games from Game Freak. Console games sell well compared to their handheld counterparts. Facts are all these Nintendo franchises are breaking records and will be the best selling in their respective series. The facts are the hype and momentum of the Switch far exceeds the 3DS.

This isn't even exclusive to Nintendo. It's the entire video game industry. Context is important.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to predict how a game will sell where we don't even have an idea how it even looks like or what exactly it is is kinda pointless.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The facts of the equation is there are plenty of people who want to buy console made Pokémon games from Game Freak. Console games sell well compared to their handheld counterparts. Facts are all these Nintendo franchises are breaking records and will be the best selling in their respective series. The facts are the hype and momentum of the Switch far exceeds the 3DS.

This isn't even exclusive to Nintendo. It's the entire video game industry. Context is important.

Your speculation doesn't affect what I said nor did I imply that the game won't be a huge success.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Don't stop the fun, we forum users love to see other people eating crow.

I wish people would actually eat crows once they are proven wrong. The reality is that most of them are simply moving goalposts or spin the reality in their favor once they realise they could be wrong. Barely anyone can admit being wrong nowadays which is a shame.

Besides it really depends how Pokémon Switch will look like. If it's Pokémon "Stars" (enhanced US/UM port) then it certainly won't sell as much as a new entry (new region and new Pokémon). Even the rumored reboot might not sell as much as a new entry. You see it's really hard to say anything since we know nothing.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I wish people would actually eat crows once they are proven wrong. The reality is that most of them are simply moving goalposts or spin the reality in their favor once they realise they could be wrong. Barely anyone can admit being wrong nowadays which is a shame.

Besides it really depends how Pokémon Switch will look like. If it's Pokémon "Stars" (enhanced US/UM port) then it certainly won't sell as much as a new entry (new region and new Pokémon). Even the rumored reboot might not sell as much as a new entry. You see it's really hard to say anything since we know nothing.
People can't even eat cardboard nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.