• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Let's GO!

• Pikachu

Votes: 542 27.2%
  • Eevee

Votes: 920 46.3%
  • Home

Votes: 527 26.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
X and Y didn't reach 20 million and they are cheaper and on a bigger platform than what Pokemon Switch will release on.
IMO, the biggest limiter to Pokemon's sales right now is that new games are constantly coming out. XY and SM could easily achieve higher sales if they didnt have third versions (and were supported by content updates)

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMO, the biggest limiter to Pokemon's sales right now is that new games are constantly coming out. XY and SM could easily achieve higher sales if they didnt have third versions (and were supported by content updates)
This is actually a good point. If Game Freak doesn't give these Pokémon games some time to breathe before releasing the next game, then it hinders the sales.

CaseyVGCx

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I feel like Pokemon will have a BOTW Situation in terms of attachrate, where people buy more Pokemon copies than the amount of Switches available.

AKA > 100% Attachrate.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I feel like Pokemon will have a BOTW Situation in terms of attachrate, where people buy more Pokemon copies than the amount of Switches available.

AKA > 100% Attachrate.
That'd mean that it would have to sell around 35M by the end of the year, if Nintendo's forecast is accurate. No way that's happening.

If it's a new generation or a true reimagining of Kanto and Johto (kind of like how a leak multiple pages ago suggested), I do think it'll sell 20M before the end of the year. All of this assuming it's coming out this year.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

AKA > 100% Attachrate.
If Game Freak can give a better reason to buy two versions it would definitely be higher than past games. Atm I don't see a reason to buy both versions.

If they did my idea of Kanto/Johto and one game starts in Kanto and one game starts in Johto, then that would get me to buy both versions.

CaseyVGCx

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
That'd mean that it would have to sell around 35M by the end of the year, if Nintendo's forecast is accurate. No way that's happening.

If it's a new generation or a true reimagining of Kanto and Johto (kind of like how a leak multiple pages ago suggested), I do think it'll sell 20M before the end of the year. All of this assuming it's coming out this year.

Oops I forgot to include that foretasted Switch sales after this year. I was thinking it would have a 100%+ attach rate with relative to what we have right now. ~18M

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20M feels like a given if they dont put out a remake or a third version until 2020.

As for the series ceiling, they'd have to really break out of the mold and be different. Like an OoT-styled Zelda to BotW-styled Zelda. Not a genre shift, but an adoption of current market trends

JetstreamRorschach

One Winged Slayer
Dec 30, 2017
Zaragoza, Spain.
The games are causing Switch to sell like crazy and Switch is causing the games to break records. I'm dying to see what will happen with Pokémon this christmas. And with Fire Emblem. And Inazuma Eleven. And Yokai Watch. And Smash.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seemed to me that the crux of so many obnoxious sentiments in this very thread were that the high production values and "console level" Pokemon game ideas are farfetched or that we should be """""""expecting""""""" SM in HD.

But yeah, the idea that they could reach a larger audience with a larger-scale effort is kind of the crux of what I've been saying over and over. So let's see if they go for it.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's still a chance they drop a trailer for the new Pokémon games today. ORAS was revealed 3.5 hours from now.

Just messing with them actually dropping a trailer. You would never do that for a brand new Pokémon game.

CaseyVGCx

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
It seemed to me that the crux of so many obnoxious sentiments in this very thread were that the high production values and "console level" Pokemon game ideas are farfetched or that we should be """""""expecting""""""" SM in HD.

But yeah, the idea that they could reach a larger audience with a larger-scale effort is kind of the crux of what I've been saying over and over. So let's see if they go for it.

I would love the Pokemon Switch to have as much production value as possible. It's just logically and historically, Game Freak takes their time to adapt to new hardware and use them to the fullest. It also doesn't help that this is GF's first 3D Console Game, so their console dev experience is really lacking atm. Of course they can off-source as much help as possible, it's just for the first game I'm not expecting the best quality.. I'm only letting it slide for just the first Switch game.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Think so, too. Many games on the Switch have been selling massively, and several records have been broken by all kinds of games on the system, so I think it's very well possible that Switch can provide extra impetus to Pokémon as well.
I reckon a high-production-value console-level Pokemon could smash 20 million.
You guys really have to think that there are not that many games that sell more than 15 million copies, and less of them while being exclusives. It is also important to remember than RPGs are not the type of games that sell that much, Skyrim just basically finally getting the crown by being ported to everything and the toasters.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
They already know if Pokémon is 2018 or 2019, it's almost May.
If they kept "2018 or later" knowing it's actually 2019 they would be misleading investors, and there is no reason not to tell them if it's 2019.

It's 2018.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys really have to think that there are not that many games that sell more than 15 million copies, and less of them while being exclusives.

True, but the Switch will be more like the Wii than like, say, the ps4

I mean, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Odyssey will eventually be over 20 million when all is said and done

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They already know if Pokémon is 2018 or 2019, it's almost May.
If they kept "2018 or later" knowing it's actually 2019 they would be misleading investors, and there is no reason not to tell them if it's 2019.

It's 2018.

Well, wouldn't releasing Pokémon March 2019 essentially be the same thing? Still within the same FY?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I dunno if anyone knew this but 2019 is later than 2018

Just something to keep in mind
Mind = Blown

You're right, of course: them keeping on the 2018 or later release window does not prove anything either way. It is curious, since I'd expect that they'd know what the release year is by now, or at least almost know for sure. In that sense, them not adjusting the release to 2019 suggests that they are definitely considering a 2018 release date still. As such, the odds are decent that 2018 becomes reality.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mind = Blown

You're right, of course: them keeping on the 2018 or later release window does not prove anything either way. It is curious, since I'd expect that they'd know what the release year is by now, or at least almost know for sure. In that sense, them not adjusting the release to 2019 suggests that they are definitely considering a 2018 release date still. As such, the odds are decent that 2018 becomes reality.

Right, I just think that it's kinda absurd for anyone to say "oh they didn't confirm a release year today so it's def this year since they didn't say it would or wouldn't be." 2018 or later means just that. They're just not ready to say when it's coming for sure, and you know they would if they could.

In any case, I think someone is bound to ask about it tomorrow at the meeting, and I'm curious if they'll continue giving a dodgy answer about it in that scenario.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I am sure that when it comes to the 2018 or Later bit, its talking about Holiday 2018 or Spring 2019, within the FY. Still doesn't mean that its baffling they haven't revealed it properly yet and that they went with staying silent. Again, this is making E3 the proper unveiling very likely.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I am sure that when it comes to the 2018 or Later bit, its talking about Holiday 2018 or Spring 2019, within the FY. Still doesn't mean that its baffling they haven't revealed it properly yet and that they went with staying silent. Again, this is making E3 the proper unveiling very likely.
Like I said, I can only see that happening if Nintendo's more involved with marketing this time. If it's purely TPCi, I doubt it.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Like I said, I can only see that happening if Nintendo's more involved with marketing this time. If it's purely TPCi, I doubt it.
While it could be pure hapstance, what was effectively Nintendo's Ambassador at TPCi's board of directors just became the president of Nintendo. Considering how involved he was with the switch and with the franchise, I really do think we will see a more hands on Nintendo when it comes to the flagship series.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
True, but the Switch will be more like the Wii than like, say, the ps4

I mean, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Odyssey will eventually be over 20 million when all is said and done
Those games have the advantage of being only one every game console generation. Pokemon games launch at most every 2 years, cutting the legs of the games.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I hope we get starter silhouettes when they're finally revealed. These threads will look like nothing compared to the speculation of the starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.