• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Gen 1 and 2 have the best soundtracks in the whole series. Absolutely fantastic work by the composers. Some of my favorite soundtracks of all time.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I've remained a fan of the franchise since the very beginning, but the first two gens are definitely still the highlights of the series for me. The mainline games have never been as ambitious as they were back then tbh.

I can attest that Pokemon Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal still hold up exceedingly well. Played them on the Virtual Console when they came out and had more fun with them than in Gen 7.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I personally think both these gen are highly overrated (gen 2 especially), but I'll stick to positivity.

- Crystal and it's sprites graphically look better than anything from gen 3, they look charming, and still hold up nice today.
- Gen 2 was perhaps the most ambitious pokemon game for it's time. Adding new types, weather conditions, held items, colorful sprites, 2 regions, 16 badges, pokegear with a radio stations, and a phone you can have trainer matches in. Also day night cycle.
- you can transport your pokemon freely from gens 1 and 2, even backwards, which is pretty rad.
- Blue and Silver are awesome rivals, and Blue being champion in the end was awesome.
- Both gens have stellar soundtracks. Absolutely amazing work by Masuda and Ichinose.
- Some pokemon actually looked better in sprites than they do in 3D. Just look at my avatar. Other would be Haunter and Kingler.
There's a lot to like about these games, especially for their time.

Smartlord

Oct 27, 2017
Just here to share my Gen 2 appreciation. Really felt like such a bold and confident iteration of the rough mechanics in gen 1.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Gold / Silver / Crystal are my favorites tbh. I remember finding out you could go back to Kanto and being like "omg????"

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I am a lifelong Pokémon fan who still enjoys the series very much, but the initial Game Boy games remain my favorite period in the series. It is my favorite time for the art, tone, and general aesthetic of the brand. Pokémon took shape over time, and I enjoy what the series has become, but Gen I and II were truly an era of monsters.

I have a very precious collection of 1st Edition trading cards. I own Base through Gym Challenge and the full range of promotional cards printed by WotC. I also have doubles of the promos in their sealed distribution packaging.

It took me 8 years from when I started collecting again to finish this collection. The only thing that stops me from getting the Generation II Neo sets is unfortunately the enormous cost. I've been priced out of the hobby, so I am very grateful I was able to finish the sets. They are my prized possession.

cb34f505-aa78-4edb-83tj1m.jpeg

6bfd4d6f-295b-4d3b-bllkhj.jpeg

7e267ed3-afb9-46e4-b3okgq.jpeg

53d1baa1-6df5-41ee-957jls.jpeg

e3744a4a-988c-4379-aeek8h.jpeg

8d0bde7b-abc8-4a4e-8qojmf.jpeg

1189b5bd-7c58-41d7-887kq0.jpeg

9e6e69ec-dd2f-452d-aabjri.jpeg

9eb52363-3ba3-4536-95vkm2.jpeg

1ff086f1-3046-444a-9x1j7z.jpeg

8b0bd890-e1d1-4d8b-byckuo.jpeg

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am a lifelong Pokémon fan who still enjoys the series very much, but the initial Game Boy games remain my favorite period in the series. It is my favorite time for the art, tone, and general aesthetic of the brand. Pokémon took shape over time, and I enjoy what the series has become, but Gen I and II were truly an era of monsters.

I have a very precious collection of 1st Edition trading cards. I own Base through Gym Challenge and the full range of promotional cards printed by WotC. I also have doubles of the promos in their sealed distribution packaging.

It took me 8 years from when I started collecting again to finish this collection. The only thing that stops me from getting the Generation II Neo sets is unfortunately the enormous cost. I've been priced out of the hobby, so I am very grateful I was able to finish the sets. They are my prized possession.

cb34f505-aa78-4edb-83tj1m.jpeg

6bfd4d6f-295b-4d3b-bllkhj.jpeg

Wow what a awesome collection I'd love to do something similar someday. Sugimori has a lot of unique artwork or refined artwork for the cards that aren't available elsewhere. Like say that Nidoking and Beedril and Machamp there, all Sugimori but you can tell he saturated the cards more for the card art.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Crystal is still one of my favorite games of all time. Everything about it evokes some strong nostalgia for me.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
If anyone would like to try and play Gen 2 with a new twist, I can't recommend the romhack Pokémon - Crystal Clear enough. It removes literally every roadblock, you can start on Kantoand the game scales according to how many badges you have, you can do any of the gyms in whichever order you want, you can even play as a Rocket grunt! It's the closest thing to an open world Pokémon that we have. Here's a video about it:

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I have a lot of nostalgia for Yellow as I borrowed the game from my cousin and played it on his yellow Pikachu edition Gameboy Color. But rather than going back to the old games on the 3ds Virtual Console, I've found Let's Go on Switch to be a near perfect nostalgia trip.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
It's funny. When Vizzed was still able to play Roms I went back and destroyed Blue/Crystal/Emerald/Fire Red. It was awesome. Few years went by and found out Nintendo put the kibash on that for Vizzed. Bought my first handheld video game system since I was a kid in a Nintendo 2DS. Beat Blue, and then played Crystal.... Blue completely held up for me total nostalgia. Crystal? It was fun... but dear lord by the time I was into Kanto I just kept thinking "Please FN finish already" 🤣 just beat Pokemon Alpha Saphire and I liked the remake a lot. Only downside was the game probably had 12.89 million pages of text and no option to skip.

All pure nostalgia and even as an adult I like dipping back in every once in awhile.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. The final battle with Blue in Gen 1...that song is just an enthralling, spine-tingling goosebump giving masterpiece.

I still have a quite vivid memory of when I faced Blue and heard that music. Right from the initial blitz of dissonance you get from the intro of that music I was HOOKED. I distinctly remember pausing to appreciate the music. The battle music for Red in Gold and Silver is also suitably epic.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still have a quite vivid memory of when I faced Blue and heard that music. Right from the initial blitz of dissonance you get from the intro of that music I was HOOKED. I distinctly remember pausing to appreciate the music. The battle music for Red in Gold and Silver is also suitably epic.
Yeah those two tracks are easily my favorite.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
If anyone would like to try and play Gen 2 with a new twist, I can't recommend the romhack Pokémon - Crystal Clear enough. It removes literally every roadblock, you can start on Kantoand the game scales according to how many badges you have, you can do any of the gyms in whichever order you want, you can even play as a Rocket grunt! It's the closest thing to an open world Pokémon that we have. Here's a video about it:

Damn! I wish I could play this on the go somehow. Or... just not tied to my computer. Looks so awesome.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Damn! I wish I could play this on the go somehow. Or... just not tied to my computer. Looks so awesome.

There's a lot of GB Emulators for Android (dunno about iOS) and you can even inject the romhack into a homebrewed 3DS if you have one of those lying around! It's completely compatible with the PokéBank so you can even transfer your team forward.

It's really loads of fun. I did a "Reverse Gen2" run starting with Blue and ending with Falkner and let's just say I have newfound respect for the early (late?) Johto gym leaders. Falkner is even packing a Zapdos lol

Last edited:

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
There's a lot of GB Emulators for Android (dunno about iOS) and you can even inject the romhack into a homebrewed 3DS if you have one of those lying around!

It's really loads of fun. I did a "Reverse Gen2" run starting with Blue and ending with Falkner and let's just say I have newfound respect for the early (late?) Johto gym leaders. Falkner is even packing a Zapdos lol

Thanks for the info! Sounds awesome. I got an emulator on iOS but I can't seem to find the romhack. I'll keep looking.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I started Crystal Clear about a week ago, it's pretty great. Love the music customization, running, fast Pokecenter, fast encounter intros, and openness of the world.

IMO gen 2 is the last gen they were really ambitious. They packed so many new features, smart changes and sheer content into a GBC cartridge while eliminating the horrible jank of gen 1, it's insane. Gen 2 feels like a fully fleshed out realization of the series and besides adding online play the later games didn't really have much to improve on.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
omg, Pokémon has been my life literally. Since I was a kid back then, I think I missed a lot of stuff that only "grown ups" would know about the games, and news etc (though without the Internet as we know it and as accessible as it is today it wouldn't been that much different) but still I feel very blessed that I got to grow up with it. Literally, I wouldn't change it for anything. Younger people will never know what it was to live that era, be a witness of it, and as I said, probably older people were more conscious and remember more facts that I don't or that I ignored at the time, but I just feel like being a kid was the perfect age to fully enjoy the magic of Pokémon and grow up with it as years went by.

And I know it all started with the games, but I was introduced to Pokémon through the anime and the merchandise and the toys and the movie, and it was just something like I've never seen before (or after).

Did any of you ever play this game?
pic297011.jpg

I had it as a kid and sadly through the years it started to get very deteriorated and my mom ultimately throw it to the garbage, and I suffered the loss through the years regretting not being more careful with it, but in 2017 I got a new one, unopened, through ebay and I felt so fortunate because even though it costed me more than $100, it was actually pretty cheap for what it usually goes for nowadays.

I remember 1999 - 2000 being one of the best times of my life, I loved Pokémon, I loved the music from back then. I like a lot of music, but Britney Spears is my fave, and she came out in 1998 almost the same day that Red & Blue came out in America, and it's no coincidence that through the years both have been a huge part of my everyday life. Getting a new Pokémon toy at Burger King every Sunday and going home to watch MTV's Top 20 with Britney, Christina, Backstreet Boys, S Club 7, etc., playing with my cousins, my neighbors, going on vacations, having fun at school, my birthday parties, holidays, every good memory that I have from my childhood, there's Pokémon present in some way or another.

Fun fact, every year that a new Generation of Pokémon has come out in America, Britney Spears has released a lead single from one of her albums (there are more Britney albums than Pokémon generations, so there's not a 1-1 relationship).

• Gen I (Red/Blue) - ...Baby One More Time (BOMT's lead single) (1998)
  • Gen II (Gold/Silver) - Oops!... I Did It Again (2000)
  • Gen III (Ruby/Sapphire) - In the Zone (2003)
  • Gen IV (Diamond/Pearl) - Blackout (2007)
  • Gen V (Black/White) - Femme Fatale (2011)
  • Gen VI (X/Y) - Britney Jean (2013)
  • Gen VII (Sun/Moon) - Glory (2016)
  • Gen VIII (Sword/Shield) - ??? (2019)

And apparently this year Britney isn't releasing anything, so with Gen VIII coming out in November, it might be the first time in over 20 years that the tradition is broken (though I still pray that Britney releases something before the year ends).

And another fun fact, a Britney Spears song from her debut album appears in the soundtrack of the first movie, though it doesn't appear on the movie itself.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I personally think both these gen are highly overrated (gen 2 especially), but I'll stick to positivity.

- Crystal and it's sprites graphically look better than anything from gen 3, they look charming, and still hold up nice today.
- Gen 2 was perhaps the most ambitious pokemon game for it's time. Adding new types, weather conditions, held items, colorful sprites, 2 regions, 16 badges, pokegear with a radio stations, and a phone you can have trainer matches in. Also day night cycle.
- you can transport your pokemon freely from gens 1 and 2, even backwards, which is pretty rad.
- Blue and Silver are awesome rivals, and Blue being champion in the end was awesome.
- Both gens have stellar soundtracks. Absolutely amazing work by Masuda and Ichinose.
- Some pokemon actually looked better in sprites than they do in 3D. Just look at my avatar. Other would be Haunter and Kingler.
There's a lot to like about these games, especially for their time.
After nearly 2 decades of playing Pokemon, my nostalgia for the first gens is wearing thin, but you are absolutely right in that Gen 2 was the most ambitious they've ever been.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
After nearly 2 decades of playing Pokemon, my nostalgia for the first gens is wearing thin, but you are absolutely right in that Gen 2 was the most ambitious they've ever been.

I guess you guys mean most ambitious followup/sequel, since Gen1 was the foundation for the entire franchise. Introducing the world, the gameplay and the creatures and becoming a phenomenon (I believe its still by far the most selling) all in one game and its anime tie-in. Gen2 made significant improvements, but can that really compare in terms of ambition?

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gen 2 is definitely my favourite pokemon generation.
It fixed every problem with Gen1, and added so many impactful features (breeding, day/night, 2 regions, rebalanced type chart, and countless QOL changes),
it was imo; the most ambitious generation.

The new pokemon were so exciting too. great pre-evolutions and evolutions of existing pokemon. well designed legendaries and great starters.

The 2 regions was an amazing feature, even though both regions weren't large, they combined to form something fantastic.

On a side note; I like gen2 so much I made pokemon fangame inspired by it.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
This is a fantastic idea for a thread, dealing with the ENTIRE franchise during the period, not just the games!

One thing that must be emphasized is that, aside from a short burst with Pokémon GO, the Pokémon franchise has never returned to its peak popularity around '98-'00. It was the craze to end all crazes. You name the merch, there was a Pokémon edition of it sold EVERYWHERE. The majority of younger kids wore Pokémon gear. Even just uncommon single TCG cards sold for ridiculous prices, and news stories about the addictiveness and school disruption surrounding the TCG were commonplace. And a kid's cartoon show of all things got a movie in theaters!

Hot take - There's a reason The Pokémon Company still emphasizes the Gen 1 creatures over all the others, and it's not just nostalgia - they're the most Disney-like, with clean lines, sweet personalities, and balanced shapes. Starting with Gen 2, and accelerating with Gen 3, the designs got more complex, with blander personalities, and more obtuse concepts - they had the mass-market appeal just drained out of them.

Gen 1/2 also has the catchiest tunes. It's incredible what Junichi Masuda accomplished with such limited sound. Only Koji Kondo's music is more recognizable to casual gamers.

And those epic anime remixes by Shinji Miyazaki... 0_0

Nice. :) I have a set too, though definitely not to your level. It's a complete non-first edition ("unlimited") set of the original Base Set 1 including duplicates of the uncommon/common cards for deck building, as well as those classic glass bead damage counters and an official gen 1 playmat.

xmassteps

Oct 30, 2017
Remember that feeling in Pokemon Gold when you think you're at the end of the game then it reveals Kanto and you realise you get to play through the first game's gyms as well. Nothing in gaming has come close for me.

I was only a kid when I played Gold so it was a huge secret for me. Was it something they kept from people back then or was it known before release?

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got sum questions for y'all.

In Gen 1-2

What was your first starter Pokemon?
What was your favorite bird Pokemon?
Did you lose to Blue (Gary) in Gen 1?
What was your thoughts when you found Mewtwo for the first time?

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
This is a fantastic idea for a thread, dealing with the ENTIRE franchise during the period, not just the games!

One thing that must be emphasized is that, aside from a short burst with Pokémon GO, the Pokémon franchise has never returned to its peak popularity around '98-'00. It was the craze to end all crazes. You name the merch, there was a Pokémon edition of it sold EVERYWHERE. The majority of younger kids wore Pokémon gear. Even just uncommon single TCG cards sold for ridiculous prices, and news stories about the addictiveness and school disruption surrounding the TCG were commonplace. And a kid's cartoon show of all things got a movie in theaters!

Hot take - There's a reason The Pokémon Company still emphasizes the Gen 1 creatures over all the others, and it's not just nostalgia - they're the most Disney-like, with clean lines, sweet personalities, and balanced shapes. Starting with Gen 2, and accelerating with Gen 3, the designs got more complex, with blander personalities, and more obtuse concepts - they had the mass-market appeal just drained out of them.

Gen 1/2 also has the catchiest tunes. It's incredible what Junichi Masuda accomplished with such limited sound. Only Koji Kondo's music is more recognizable to casual gamers.

And those epic anime remixes by Shinji Miyazaki... 0_0

Nice. :) I have a set too, though definitely not to your level. It's a complete non-first edition ("unlimited") set of the original Base Set 1 including duplicates of the uncommon/common cards for deck building, as well as those classic glass bead damage counters and an official gen 1 playmat.

Man the anime arrangements of the Gen 1 and 2 themes are WAY too good.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
What was your first starter Pokemon? Charmander (Pikachu was first when I actually owned a copy)
What was your favorite bird Pokemon? Articuno
Did you lose to Blue (Gary) in Gen 1? In the final battle, yes
What was your thoughts when you found Mewtwo for the first time? why do the best Pokemon all hang out in dank caves (same reaction in XY)

Minotaur

Oct 25, 2017
Totodile, croconaw, feraligator deserve more love! Everyone appreciate them!

What was your first starter Pokemon? Charmander
What was your favorite bird Pokemon? Noctowl
Did you lose to Blue (Gary) in Gen 1? Dont remember but yes. I dont doubt I lost to him at some point
What was your thoughts when you found Mewtwo for the first time? Now I just gotta find that truck mew is hiding near.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Etrian Oddity Nice I really fucking love TCG music. Great Rocket Battle theme in the second game is lit too.
lvl 99 Pixel Yeah I lost a few times myself. It felt so satisfying as a child when I finally won. And lol it is true about the caves.
SegaManAU Hehe no problem!
Minotaur I love that entire line! :D

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
For some reason, I always thought these games were released when I was in my early teens. I have this memory of being pretty jealous of kids who had a gameboy.

But the op says they were released in 1998. Whoa. I was 20! So the gameboy had already been out for almost 10 years!?

I never did have a gameboy until I bought a gameboy advance sp in the mid 2000s, and I never played the gameboy versions of these games. I didn't play a pokemon game until I played black on DS.

Black was fun to extent, but I got tired of levelling my pokemon on the small screen of a ds lite. I've been playing let's go on switch, though, and I now finally see the appeal of those first few games. I"ve also been dabbling with blue on virtual console on the 3DS.

Cool thread.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still remember when I got Pokemon Yellow and the translucent purple GBC as a birthday gift when I was like 8 years old, and it was one of the most amazing things ever for me.

I remember getting absolutely demolished by Brock, then I caught a Nidoran and trained it until it learned Double Kick and it felt so satisfying being able to demolish him afterwards. Also Rock Tunnel was sooo frustrating for me haha pretty sure I didn't even have Flash

I then played Silver and Crystal and remember being blown away by being able to go to Kanto and the sprite animations in Crystal are still amazing.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8001

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still remember when I got Pokemon Yellow and the translucent purple GBC as a birthday gift when I was like 8 years old, and it was one of the most amazing things ever for me.

I remember getting absolutely demolished by Brock, then I caught a Nidoran and trained it until it learned Double Kick and it felt so satisfying being able to demolish him afterwards. Also Rock Tunnel was sooo frustrating for me haha pretty sure I didn't even have Flash

I then played Silver and Crystal and remember being blown away by being able to go to Kanto and the sprite animations in Crystal are still amazing.
I like Crystal's animations too. They also improved the color work of a lot of battle sprites there cause they use more colors cause its a GBC game.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Why would anyone play G/S over Crystal? It's better in every way and probably the definitive Pokemon.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
In 1999, when I was twelve years old, I made a Pokemon fansite on Angelfire. The Psyaqua Pokemon Zone:

YiCzuDK.png

The best thing is, it still exists, including my rant about all the rumored Gen 2 Pokemon that I took for absolute gospel. Pikablu, Nidogod, etc. I was a genwunner before Gen Two even debuted (apologizes for any uncouthness, I was in middle school and Stone Cold Steve Austin was clearly a big influence on my life):

s9IDhsY.png

It's the first thing I wrote for the Internet, and I do that for a living now, so I'm super glad it exists. I was apparently quite gullible and don't even remember half of these rumors, but a few things did come to pass. To this day I've never really gotten into any gen but the first, though I hope Sword and Shield will rectify that.