• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I guess this is in Japan's newspaper lol

image0.jpg

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Has anyone gotten this to trigger yet?

Im not even sure what to look for but Ive been regularly trading gifts and battling since it was added and nothing

Im guessing its rare? When it pops does it stay active till a trade is made?
I actually got one on one of my first gift openings after the update went live. Your friends name will turn gold and have the little bubbles around it like the background of a lucky pokemon has. It's impossible to miss.
It does look like it stays active until you trade as well.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Got lucky with my box and got Regice, only one I was missing. I've gotten a bunch of repeats in these months (mainly Zapdos), but I did go from having only Moltres and Suicine to having all the birds, dogs and golems out of the boxes. Now that I have the 3 regis I doubt I'll even shiny hunt these when they do come back to raids. Doesn't seem worth the passes.

Anyone else's walking progress of the week reset to zero?

There are server issues. In some timezones comm. day even got extended for an extra hour because of this. Mine starts in about 3 so I hope things are ironed out by then.

They're aware of it and the progress should come back once the issues are resolved:

Last edited:

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Extended community day finally ended not that long ago for us in Japan.

I had stock piled more than 70 pinaps on both my accounts to prepare, so my plan was to setup lures in a dense pokestop area in my town, and just hang out grabbing everything that came in. The first hour went well, but the servers took a massive dump around 4:20pm. I was still in the center of the city trying to catch things. My iPhone 8 responded well to the low connections speeds, but my iPhone 6s would crash or freeze every 5 bagon. Eventually, I left the downtown area and moved into the country a little more. Usually with bad network activity, the game runs better with fewer stops on the screen. It was still pretty bad.

2 hours into the event, I had only caught a single shiny. But, outside of the city, I started trading Bagons back and forth and got 2 luckies that were Level 30.

I noticed that Niantic extended the day an extra hour, and close to 6:30pm things started running a lot better. I went back to town to try and get at least one Shiny for my other account. As 7pm neared, my alt account had 5 shinies, and my main still had zero. With 2 minutes left, I finally got a Shiny on my main account.

And then the event was extended again until 8pm. After 7pm, my shiny luck turned around.

All in all, my main got 4 shinies, alt got 6 shinies. And I caught around 270 Bagon on each account, so I evolved 10 Salamence. My alt is ready for Latios.
___

Takeaways:

- I've never had such terrible Shiny luck, but I'm pretty sure the rates were normal. One of the dudes in town had 6 Shiny in the first hour. Another guy, by 7pm, had 15.
- Also, Bagon were everywhere. Same spawn rates as the last two Community Days.
- Someone else mentioned this on reddit, but one big ass downfall of having a 3-6pm CD is when shit goes wrong. It was nice before having an extra 2 hours when those 2 hours were 3-5pm. Today's extra hours being 6-8pm meant the sun set and what was a pretty nice warm day turned quite frigid. Now you had a bunch of people walking around at night. And it was already passed the curfew hours for kids. For drunks, it starts cutting into bar time, too.

By putting the CD timeframe into the evening, most of your Saturday revolves around doing this now. Before when it was in the afternoon, you could do the CD, trade for a while, and then have the evening to do social stuff. Now, you have to do social things much later in the evening, or just not at all.

I dunno. It's rough to find a proper solution, though. Everyone's schedule is different. Making it 10am-6pm would solve scheduling...

Hmm... Maybe if they made it 10am-6pm, but you'd need to check in, like a Go Fest thing. Check in at a stop, and 3 hours from that time will be your community day.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not super Pokemon Go player, so I thought I was super lucky that I got 4 Shiny Bagons, but apparently it seems shinies aren't that rare when searched right.

:p

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It is the first time I went out with the new hours - as I didn't care about the previous Pokémon - and it was a nice success. More than a 100 catches, 7 Shiny, used up over 100 Pinap. Evolved two Salamence, so now I have a normal Draco Meteor one at 3300 CP, a normal Outrage one at 3100 and a Shiny Outrage one at 2500. I should have enough candy to bring them all to level 40, but I certainly don't have the stardust at the moment.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Windy here as well

Hoping to make at least one salamence since I wont really have time to capitalize much on this event. Wish it wasnt in the evening

Swamped

Oct 25, 2017
Wah, I really need some help. I'm unable to do any evolutions... Every time I click the evolve button it just goes back to the pokemon screen. This happens with any pokemon I choose. I've tried logging out of my account and back in. I'm able to do everything else. I'm such a casual player, I've never cheated or anything. Been having this issue since at least 1 week - ended up wasting a lucky egg last week. I'd really appreciate any insights! Have any of you come across this before? I'm hoping I just did something dumb and it's a quick fix. Really wanted to evolve a Salamance now...

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Wah, I really need some help. I'm unable to do any evolutions... Every time I click the evolve button it just goes back to the pokemon screen. This happens with any pokemon I choose. I've tried logging out of my account and back in. I'm able to do everything else. I'm such a casual player, I've never cheated or anything. Been having this issue since at least 1 week - ended up wasting a lucky egg last week. I'd really appreciate any insights! Have any of you come across this before? I'm hoping I just did something dumb and it's a quick fix. Really wanted to evolve a Salamance now...
Uninstall / reinstall?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Had 8 shinies, went a lot like Treecko: nothing in the first hour, then one now and again. I pinap'd everything and now I have 10 Salamence and had 5 lucky Bagon trades, a 96 and 93. I didn't count on that success so that will be two I'm powering. I evolved a few high cp/decent IV as well. For no reason at all too, since I'm already swimming in dragons after Ray, Palkia etc. But hey, more outrage dragons can't hurt.

Caught a 98 Giratina too, really happy with that.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty *ahem* eventful day. 13 shiny Bagons, some decent IV regular Bagons and caught my first Giratina. Almost level 30 now.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Scroll up a bit. I have the same issue. The X button is now overlayed with the Evolve button.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like they cranked up the dial on the shiny rate for me today. Ended up with 22(!) shiny Bagon. By far my best for a community day. Unfortunately none with great IV's but I don't really care.

Oct 26, 2017
I went out for the entire three hours but it took forever to actually get any shinies. They only started dropping in at the last hour, got four eventually. Traded one with a friend and got a 73% which ended up being my best one - meanwhile she found a 93% one. My only good catch was a 93% regular one. Oh well, a couple of more Salamence to play around with.

As for the research, I've gotten a ton of Zapdos generally, but also two shiny Lugia. Too bad that both it and Ho-Oh are pretty useless. Hopefully they'll switch things up after April. I'd rather have some new obscure species or one specific legendary rather than a random pull from several ones I don't need anymore. Maybe a random regional? If everyone could pick up eight regionals over two months, it would be quite possible to trade to a full set. Of course I'd only get Mr Mimes though.

Oct 25, 2017
Got a ton of candy and caught a shiny on my first catch of the day but nothing too good IV wise. A couple 3000+ Salamence. Ho hum. On to the next one.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
It feels pretty nice to have a Community Day where you're building something immediately useful. My alt account had shit for Dragon counters, and now BOOM, ready for Latios next week.

Unrelated question for you guys: Is it possible to be lucky friends with two different people? Or can you only have one lucky friend at a time?

Corran Horn

Oct 25, 2017
Im sad that my location in town that everyone gathers together didnt have a Raid going on during the CD. I dont have a group so these Days are like the only time I can do a raid thats level 3+.

Got a bunch of shinys though so that was nice.

kaospilot

Oct 25, 2017
Decent man, no-one round here got 100% here AFAIK but the 6 I got had 15 atk, RIP my 96% draco metor boi

I actually went hard for 3 hours and got 12 shiny, some guy who's phone wasn't working got more shiny than me in 1hr and a half lol

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to catch two shiny Bagon and evolved them both into Salamence before the event ended. One was above average and another didn't make headway.

On the other hand, I failed to catch Giratina.

On the other, other hand, I caught an Alolan Marowak.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
So after last month when everyone attributed the lack of people playing due to the change in time rather than Treecko, I'm curious how the crowds were this time.

I know I saw a lot more people playing today than last month.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
7 shiny, 200 caught. Evolved my previously hatched 98%, a new 96%, and my best [bad] shiny.

Barely eked out a catch on good 91% Giratina; that thing is a real pain to catch. Glad to at least have a really strong one.

ValtermcPires

Oct 30, 2017
Was nice CD, got around 8 shiny and some high cp.

Also my first Giratina-O and was good one. Might do more raids and try to get one or two more.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know it was possible and I don't know how rare it is, but I caught a Bagon yesterday with 0% IV. I thought IV had a floor that was much higher.

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
Started my CD late and ended up only finding 3. my highest was 87 which isn't too bad though so i've started powering it up, but i also evolved a bunk one in the hopes of getting a lucky trade.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only got 3 shinies, but was fun. A friend we were with caught 11. lol.

But, got a bunch of evolutions. Did a lucky trade (got lucky status with my wife) for shiny bagon and got a nice 14ATK 93%.

adavids

Oct 27, 2017
I started the community day in last hour and didn't think I was going to get any shinnies and decided to walk back home. Then all of a sudden I got two in a row in the same spot and ended up getting 5 in the last half hour.

Oxx

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the egg event was gonna start tonight. Good thing I didn't put a load of eggs on!

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'm keeping an eye out on the egg list. Currently I have everything, but I suspect it may change during the egg event. If it doesn't, then meh.

Also there's some sort of field tasks that'll show up so keeping tabs on this too.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I discovered my local mall seems to have at least 5 stops and one gym that fall under its own WiFi, so that's nice. Since the weather is clearing up, I decided to start walking on my days off in addition to my usual lifting and swimming after work. The mall is built as a big square, so I can just keep doing laps around the mall hitting each stop and the gym on each round over an hour.

I also dropped off a 985CP Tauros at the gym and apparently got 8 coins for its efforts when it returned. I tried a raid battle when it came up, but every single one of my Pokemon got squished without doing any noticeable damage to the Giratina. Can I assume that being at level 12, there's really no point or reward to attempting a raid unless I'm just looking to throw away revives and potions?

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I discovered my local mall seems to have at least 5 stops and one gym that fall under its own WiFi, so that's nice. Since the weather is clearing up, I decided to start walking on my days off in addition to my usual lifting and swimming after work. The mall is built as a big square, so I can just keep doing laps around the mall hitting each stop and the gym on each round over an hour.

I also dropped off a 985CP Tauros at the gym and apparently got 8 coins for its efforts when it returned. I tried a raid battle when it came up, but every single one of my Pokemon got squished without doing any noticeable damage to the Giratina. Can I assume that being at level 12, there's really no point or reward to attempting a raid unless I'm just looking to throw away revives and potions?
At level 12, your main goal should be getting experience points and starting to acquire good Pokemon that you'll be able to use in the future, while catching others, and leaving Pokemon in gyms that have empty slots on your team. Do Research, the special research, make friends and send and open gifts (you get to do one friendship-growing activity a day, and it will eventually give you the majority of EXP you want if you keep at it- it gives back more than you think). Do community days, play the game with friends, and do raids if you've got some high-level people with you (not sure if you can solo anything at that level). Nobody can solo a Giratina, so don't feel bad. But I wouldn't attempt another level 5 raid without a bunch of higher level people around you.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
At level 12, your main goal should be getting experience points and starting to acquire good Pokemon that you'll be able to use in the future, while catching others, and leaving Pokemon in gyms that have empty slots on your team. Do Research, the special research, make friends and send and open gifts (you get to do one friendship-growing activity a day, and it will eventually give you the majority of EXP you want if you keep at it- it gives back more than you think). Do community days, play the game with friends, and do raids if you've got some high-level people with you (not sure if you can solo anything at that level). Nobody can solo a Giratina, so don't feel bad. But I wouldn't attempt another level 5 raid without a bunch of higher level people around you.
Thanks for the advice. I think my previous post kind of fell off the page, but do you have any recommendations on how to make the most of the game without mobile data? I only have WiFi on my personal phone, and for the most part I've just been playing the game in tandem with exercise where there is public WiFi as offered either by my ISP or various stores.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the advice. I think my previous post kind of fell off the page, but do you have any recommendations on how to make the most of the game without mobile data? I only have WiFi on my personal phone, and for the most part I've just been playing the game in tandem with exercise where there is public WiFi as offered either by my ISP or various stores.
I'm afraid that's a little out of my wheelhouse, and someone else might be able to help you better with that question. I do a lot of catching at home or work, though, using my work's WiFi. If you can reach stops/gyms at your work, then that can go a long way.

As an addition to my earlier advice, also keep up the streaks (spinning a stop a day, catching at least one Poke a day, doing at least one research task a day) - you'll get a lot of EXP that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.