• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They changed the gym leader battles. Now I can't just beat on that Feebas and Magikarp for the medal progress. They actually expect me to fight...

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't done 5* raids until Armored Mewtwo. These catch rates are absurd. How is this acceptable? It takes like a group of 10 people to even beat the raid boss, which you can't organize inside the app itself!, and then a catch rate of like 5%, with a capped number of attempts?

Organizing a group that large is such a huge task that I can't believe they don't make the catching part nominal. It's such a feel-bad moment to plan like a two hour chunk of your day around a raid and then you or someone in your group doesn't even get to catch the damn thing.

I just learned about ex raids or something, which seem like there are even more hoops to jump through to set those up? Are the catch rates horrible for those too?

Oct 25, 2017
I had planned on skipping Mudkip day anyway and the heat just made it a really easy decision. Can't even really stack a bunch of easy completed quests unless I go into overdrive hatching eggs in the heat. Hatch 5 eggs for some Rare Candy too strong to give up.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
We're projected to hit actual temperature of almost 100F and a heat index of up to 115F in the DC area. The crazy powers that be are still having the community meetups in the standard outdoor spots but I'm probably nope-ing out and running circuits in one of the local malls instead.

I'm likely to do the same the community day after, which is in only two weeks.

Yep I'm in Virginia Beach and we're going to have similar temperatures. Going to try and grind out an hour or so before calling it quits.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't done 5* raids until Armored Mewtwo. These catch rates are absurd. How is this acceptable? It takes like a group of 10 people to even beat the raid boss, which you can't organize inside the app itself!, and then a catch rate of like 5%, with a capped number of attempts?

Organizing a group that large is such a huge task that I can't believe they don't make the catching part nominal. It's such a feel-bad moment to plan like a two hour chunk of your day around a raid and then you or someone in your group doesn't even get to catch the damn thing.

I just learned about ex raids or something, which seem like there are even more hoops to jump through to set those up? Are the catch rates horrible for those too?
There's a lot of systems at work here. This article does a pretty good job of explaining what's going on:

pokemon-go-legendary-catch-1-778x420.png

Yes, the base catch rate is actually worse than you think, but there are a lot of factors that bring it up from the base 2-3% rate that make it not as big a deal as you'd think:
  • Throwing a curveball is a significant boost.
  • Hitting the inner circle is also a boost, which increases effectiveness as the circle size decreases.
  • Golden Razz Berries are a thing.
  • Type medals provide a fixed boost as well.
Furthermore, the number of premier balls you are given increases based on:
  • The maximum friendship level you have with another trainer in the raid.
  • Your total damage output relative to the others in the raid.
  • Whether your team currently controls the gym at which the raid takes place.
  • Your team's total damage output relative to the other teams.
There was an event that boosted one or more of these things that I think is over now, but there were a few raids this week where I got 20 premier balls - plenty to not have to worry about whether I'll catch something or not.

I'd have to run the numbers again (and they're a bit skewed because sometimes I just don't bother attempting to catch during the three hour events if it's not shiny/high IV) but I do a lot of raiding and I catch roughly 80% of the time. (Team Instinct has it worst, since it's uncommon to get the two team bonuses.)

EX Raids have a slightly higher base catch rate (5-6%, I believe), and I have caught every last one of the 50-60 or so I've done.

Last edited:

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
There's a lot of systems at work here. This article does a pretty good job of explaining what's going on:

pokemon-go-legendary-catch-1-778x420.png

Yes, the base catch rate is actually worse than you think, but there are a lot of factors that bring it up from the base 2-3% rate that make it not as big a deal as you'd think:
  • Throwing a curveball is a significant boost.
  • Hitting the inner circle is also a boost, which increases effectiveness as the circle size decreases.
  • Golden Razz Berries are a thing.
  • Type medals provide a fixed boost as well.
Furthermore, the number of premier balls you are given increases based on:
  • The maximum friendship level you have with another trainer in the raid.
  • Your total damage output relative to the others in the raid.
  • Whether your team currently controls the gym at which the raid takes place.
  • Your team's total damage output relative to the other teams.
There was an event that boosted one or more of these things that I think is over now, but there were a few raids this week where I got 20 premier balls - plenty to not have to worry about whether I'll catch something or not.

I'd have to run the numbers again (and they're a bit skewed because sometimes I just don't bother attempting to catch during the three hour events if it's not shiny/high IV) but I do a lot of raiding and I catch roughly 80% of the time. (Team Instinct has it worst, since it's uncommon to get the two team bonuses.)

EX Raids have a slightly higher base catch rate (5-6%, I believe), and I have caught every last one of the 50-60 or so I've done.
I caught some Mewtwos last weekend because I guess it was the event and I had a ton of balls. I went to one on raid hour Wednesday and only got like 7 or 8? And the catch rate wouldn't even be that bad except he attack animations through the balls. Like half got swatted away.

(Assuming the ball isn't swatted away) those rates aren't as bad as I thought I guess, considering the boosts for curve balls and berries.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I caught some Mewtwos last weekend because I guess it was the event and I had a ton of balls. I went to one on raid hour Wednesday and only got like 7 or 8? And the catch rate wouldn't even be that bad except he attack animations through the balls. Like half got swatted away.

(Assuming the ball isn't swatted away) those rates aren't as bad as I thought I guess, considering the boosts for curve balls and berries.
For nearly every raid boss, that can be mitigated by setting your circle size (don't throw your ball, just hold it in its starting position and let go when the circle is a size you think you can hit blindly) then only throwing during the latter half of the attack animation. If timed correctly, the boss will resume being catchable just before the ball connects, so there is little to no opportunity for it to attack again or otherwise move out of position. The only bosses I haven't been able to use this method on are Ho-Oh and Lugia (and my catch rates for both are significantly lower than the others for it).

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
New charge move techniques in PvP are online.
Team leaders also have new Pokémon teams and actually use their shields.

That's cool but I really whish they would actually use different Pokémon everytime you battle them.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
But seriously, where is this event? The update talks all about it yet there's no other communication.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I remember a time when they forced an update that talked about new features and didn't start rolling them out within a day, but I guess it's conceivable.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Makes sense, since Mewtwo is about until the end of the month, and there's still Suicune day and Mudkip. Would be dumb to have everything running alongside a big new event.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

You got an explanation but here is a vid: https://youtu.be/970AQtsdjxM?t=200
This video also shows how to set the circle, which will allow you to hit Mewtwo in the desired circle, but only after he's attacked. So circle lock, wait for the attack, throw. If you have enough time, always wait for the attack. Guy in the vid has a weird way of throwing (imo) so don't try to copy him if that's not your style of curving. Mewtwo is a great boss to practice circle locking on as it's easy to hit consistent throws on him if you're patient. Your catch will increase if you keep hitting consistent great curved throws with golden razzes. Even with about 12 balls you should catch it most of the time.

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
You got an explanation but here is a vid: https://youtu.be/970AQtsdjxM?t=200
This video also shows how to set the circle, which will allow you to hit Mewtwo in the desired circle, but only after he's attacked. So circle lock, wait for the attack, throw. If you have enough time, always wait for the attack. Guy in the vid has a weird way of throwing (imo) so don't try to copy him if that's not your style of curving. Mewtwo is a great boss to practice circle locking on as it's easy to hit consistent throws on him if you're patient. Your catch will increase if you keep hitting consistent great curved throws with golden razzes. Even with about 12 balls you should catch it most of the time.

Heh last Mewtwo raid i did, I had 18 balls, threw 18 curved excellents all golden razz, wasn't allowed to have it ( Didn't get anything worthwhile itemwise either, ie. rare candy). ANd this was with a raid where my presence basically allowed the raid battle to succeed at that. (Rest were lower levels with non ideal counters) Needless to say, I quit doing Mewtwo after that, as I had one already, and they are useless anyway.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
Today is apparently my lucky day, first a shiny Bronzor and now I hatched a shiny Togepi. Very nice

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If I want to add people from the spreadsheet as friends, what's the best way to go about that? Bottom of the list up (more chance of still active players)?

EDIT: Actually looks like the max friends is 200 and there are less names than that on the list, so I guess just add everyone lol

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Community Day done. I ended up catching 8 shinies and a couple high level 90+%ers. The new search operators are a life saver, I saved so much time just pasting in my regex pattern and mass transferring instead of having to tediously check each one. Now if only they'd add similar QoL improvements to other aspects of the game, like letting you start raids immediately from the lobby and, you know, bringing back easy quick catch (!!!).

The 4-7pm time was honestly even worse than I expected, it seemed like 90% of our community only played for the first couple hours because for some reason, playing Pokemon Go in the cold and dark wasn't too appealing for them (especially the ones with kids). It was still fun but would've been so much better at a more reasonable time.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Well, I went pretty hard on community day, even though my Water team is pretty strong already. Now, it's even stronger. I had the best shiny luck of any CD thus far. 12 shinies on my secondary account, 8 on my primary. I did a bunch of trading and got some high level luckies. I also found some natural high IV'd high level ones, too. And by going super best friends with an old college friend, my primary account finally hit Level 40.

Though, on the bad side of things... As usual, my iPhone 6 crashed every 15-20 minutes. Though, by the end of CD, in the middle of town with all the net traffic, it got into a crash loop. It would crash. I would restart the app. Immediately on restart, it would crash again. I left my phone off for a while and also got out of the center of town. 20 minutes later, it finally was able to open. It wasn't really all that hot outside, either. Maybe 28 C? Man, I think my phone is gonna be screwed for Go Fest. Yokohama is WAY hotter and has WAY more net traffic.

Danicard

Oct 27, 2017
Need friends to complete quests :)
I like the new appraise system. My only 100% Pokemon are Cleffa and Shedinja.
Got my 6th shiny yesterday, Snubbull.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I now have a gym in my neighborhood. Literally like 250 feet from my house. And another new pokestop probably like 500 feet on other side in opp direction (small neighborhood). Feels awesome.

It's amazing how much I've been able to change. Currently I'm in range of 4 gyms and 4 stops within view. At launch there was none within view. Those 3 stops and 3 of the gyms were created by me. I've now created about 105 new stops/gyms. So glad I took the time to play Ingress last year, and esp to get lv 12 to help review.

H3llR8iser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just walk 15mins here in NYC with PokeGo app open and my phone is getting so hot, its felt like its gonna explode in my hand. I think I'm gonna do this Mudkip CD inside a Starbuck with multi pokestop nearby......damn this heatwave...

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Got a couple of Shiny Mudkip, evolved one. Did an Armored Mewtwo raid and got one. I'm fine until the next real Community Day.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Don't mind me, just complaining about Latios/as again so era can work it's magic before I get another one at midnight 👀

Also literally the first kip I clicked on for CD was pink, lol. Got 4 so far.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I had 17 shiny kip, someone in our discord had 28 today. Had some decent high cp/iv combo's, evolved 7 regular and 4 shiny for (LF) trade.

Highlight though was doing a lucky friend trade: finally got my purple whale, ended up as a 96% and I immediately powered it to lvl 38

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Btw. if I don't send a gift back it's only because I ran out of them! I've been at home for the past few days.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
If I want to add people from the spreadsheet as friends, what's the best way to go about that? Bottom of the list up (more chance of still active players)?

EDIT: Actually looks like the max friends is 200 and there are less names than that on the list, so I guess just add everyone lol

You should add local players tbh.

Highlight though was doing a lucky friend trade: finally got my purple whale, ended up as a 96% and I immediately powered it to lvl 38

Nice!!

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot it was community day. Checked at like 6.30 first one was shiny. Lol so just evolved that all the way even though was a 0* gonna lucky trade it with my friends one.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
About half way through the event here. I've caught about 100 Mudkips and only one has been 3*. wtf

Two shinies though (both 0*)

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Though, on the bad side of things... As usual, my iPhone 6 crashed every 15-20 minutes. Though, by the end of CD, in the middle of town with all the net traffic, it got into a crash loop. It would crash. I would restart the app. Immediately on restart, it would crash again. I left my phone off for a while and also got out of the center of town. 20 minutes later, it finally was able to open. It wasn't really all that hot outside, either. Maybe 28 C? Man, I think my phone is gonna be screwed for Go Fest. Yokohama is WAY hotter and has WAY more net traffic.
Today my phone started complaining because it was out of storage, so this could also have contributed. Time to get rid of stuff. Guess we'll see if that fixes my problems in two weeks for the next CD.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Got a shiny Latias. Sweet.

I need to add 3 people as part of the challenges.

If anyone wants to help me out with that, I'd appreciate it.

8517 7054 3862

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
4 shiny Mudkip out of 210 sightings. I started about 20 minutes late and largely played from inside a shopping mall.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Did the first 2 hours yesterday at my local park before it started getting way too dark and cold, then hoped int he car with some friends and did some of the more better spawning spots. Ended up with 6 shinies, nothing super powerful but had a 96% Mudkip I hatched a few weeks back I'd been saving for the day to evolve up.

I'm still baffled about the choice for 4 till 7, really really hope it's back to 3-6 or something in the morning for the next one, was a big bummer to not really be able to do it with the rest of the local community after 6.

Also I'm really looking forward to Niantic moving the Community days back to the old 11-2 time for our summer as it's only fair on people in the North to not play at night :\

Status
Not open for further replies.