• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I heard it's permanent. I mean, the alternative was having one charged move like we have right now, which would have made battles even dumber.

I wonder how one even counters stuff like Kyogre though. Natural counters like Quagsire only worked because of Water Absorb and Electric immunity. If the damage formula stays the same, then Kyogre and Mewtwo are going to clean house. Not even niche Pokemon like Ludicolo stand a chance.

I guess Alolan Muk is a decent Mewtwo check.
Permanent would make more sense, I read it as "before a match you can choose to spend stardust and candy to unlock another charged attack" like it was an optional unlockable bonus for that match only.

IGN's video shows them using Garchomp, Regigigas and Smeargle, so they might be coming soon

Oxx

Oct 28, 2017
Well, it's something different to do, I suppose.

Will probably have to create battle group chats with friends to organise ourselves.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
They better release a new event in a few hours, now the community day and the PVP reveal are out of the way we need some new content lol

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Did your phones battery saver/power saving mode get turned on?
I didn't change any settings between it working and not working, but even then I already went in and made sure to turn off all power saving features I could find.

my actual google fit app is tracking stuff just fine, pokemon just doesn't want anything to do with it.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A mod (maybe Brazil?) must have added it, since it's not in the OP. Looks great.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
It'll be really interesting to see how Great League plays out.

This actually brings an interesting use to CP, and makes CP and the formula of CP itself relevant to the meta of these capped modes. Since CP is supposed to be a measurement of "overall stat total" or however you'd refer to that as, I actually find it to have promising implications in terms of how the meta could shake out for the capped leagues. I don't know the specifics of how all of the tiers work for tourney's for the mainline games, but this seems to be a different handling from what I understand.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
When does pvp launch?
Will there be bots other than the gym leaders?
Will I be sitting at home with two phones tapping each screen half heartedly hoping for a sinnoh stone?

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Glad you can battle a friend with ultra or best status anywhere. Wish they did that with trading.

Battles look okay? Having a second charge is nice, but not sure about it otherwise.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just really excited by the double charged move situation. That opens up each particular Pokemon in your bag for a lot more uses. No more having to select a single small moveset and limiting Pokemon to only specific battle scenarios.

When does pvp launch?
Sometime this month, apparently.
Unclear, but I'd imagine they might appear in events and special research.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
When does pvp launch?
Will I be sitting at home with two phones tapping each screen half heartedly hoping for a sinnoh stone?
Eurogamers article mentions famous NPC trainers
I asked about the ability to battle other AI trainers beyond Team Leaders in the future - whether famous characters from the main games or TV show might show up. It's something Niantic has talked about, Slemon said. And even just with battling, Slemon suggested Niantic was looking at the main Pokémon games for further mechanics to add down the line (the most obvious being status effects and abilities, although perhaps one day Pokémon Go will tackle Mega Evolution).

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Once we get more details, I'm going to be a bit busy with updating the OP. lol

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just really excited by the double charged move situation. That opens up each particular Pokemon in your bag for a lot more uses. No more having to select a single small moveset and limiting Pokemon to only specific battle scenarios.
Some Pokemon like most pure Electric, pure Grass, Eeveelutions are still screwed though in terms of coverage lol

Even Pokemon like Sceptile learns Aerial Ace and Earthquake which are both terribad. They really need to open up more moves for a lot of Pokemon to be viable. Like status moves.

VWdrewz

Oct 31, 2017
Super excited to get my first research breakthrough for December this morning as I need Zapdos, Moltres, Arti and Raikou.

So of course I get my 4th Entei. Sigh.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I personally like the more seasonal loading screens. The whole battle aspect doesn't interest me to be honest.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Does that mean they're not going to have a new year's screen that references the previous new year's screens? Dang it, that's the most important one!

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Features that aren't PVP related that I honestly hope they consider adding:

Breeding so that you can send friends specialized eggs.
Bonuses for chain catching the same pokemon over and over (maybe even increase shiny rate a little, though probably not for CD)
Overworld NPCs to battle or get special quests from.
Let your buddy pokemon follow you on the overworld.
Allow you to take AR photos with any pokemon in your box.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
A primer on PvP: https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/pokemon-go-trainer-battle-guide

Not sure if all of it is factual, but here are some interesting excerpts:

You can "power up" Charged Moves for an extra 3 seconds

On selecting a Charged Move, the player is given the option to tap the screen furiously to power it up an additional amount. Sources claim that the multiplier goes up to 1.2x, but it remains to be seen how significant this boost is and how quickly you have to tap to get the maximum bonus.
The Charged Move attack animation cannot be interrupted

Even after the 3 second "power up" period, the battle remains paused until the Charged Move animation finishes. It doesn't look like the opponent can attack during this time, which is in contrast to Gym and Raid battles. This means that parameters such as cooldown and damage window won't matter for Charged Moves in PvP.
Taking damage doesn't convert to energy gain any more

In classic GO battling, damage is converted to energy at a 2:1 ratio, meaning that getting hit by a Charged Move will gain a chunk of energy - as long as you survive. Pokemon with large HP stats benefited from this, as half of their HP is effectively an energy reservoir. This change hurts Pokemon like Blissey, whose spectre looms large over the PvP format.
You cannot switch repeatedly due to a cooldown period

Without a limiting mechanic, battles in this format would become endless switch-fests where each player constantly tries to gain the upper hand. Sources cite a 50 second cooldown with each switch, although this is subject to change on release.

With switching being a large commitment (as most Pokemon cannot survive 50 seconds), it encourages using Pokemon with few weaknesses. Being the first trainer to switch allows the opponent to reactively punish, with few repercussions.
Does your Pokemon retain energy when it switches out?

Check this out. Torterra wisely switches out when the opponent sends in Infernape. It has some energy after it KO'd Ampharos with Bite. When it switches back in after Espeon is KO'd, that energy gained is still there. This adds some meaningful depth, as a player can opt to save energy for a later scenario by switching out.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Is anyone else as intrigued by the implications of CP capped battles as I am? Since CP is an attempted measurement of the overall stat total of any given Pokemon, any Pokemon that is around 1500 CP shouldn't too heavily outclass another in terms of "raw stats". Certainly nowhere near the amount of stat outclassing you can have when you cap battles by level. (e.g. a level 30 blastoise would easily outclass a level 30 wartortle). So I feel like the CP cap brings a further importance to movepool and typing and specific stat distribution. This also brings a bigger meta importance to CP and the CP formula itself when it comes to these modes.

Last edited:

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I was really hoping Gyms would start getting countdown timers ala Raids, but for Leagues, and players could gather at the Gyms by the start time and check-in for an impromptu tournament that automatically starts at the end of the countdown, matching checked-in players without need of scanning, and the winners walk away with some rare candies and other nice prizes.

Hopefully this is in the works!

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Hmmm... would a 1500cp Wartortle defeat a 1500cp Blastoise? What would their stats look like?

In theory it should, but Blastoise's Community Day charged attack, Hydro Cannon, would obliterate Wartortle.

I'm so glad Blastoise caps under 2500 CP, because I maxed out my 100% Shiny Sunglasses Blastoise way back, and would be pissed if he was even a point over 2500 CP.

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017

I understand they are trying to replace dodge but it is not a Pokemon move or ability, so it feels weird. Pokemon battle. You want them to fight but then you raise a shield to protect your fighter? That feels like cheating somehow. I hope the main game never does this. You don't want to faint don't fight lol.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I understand they are trying to replace dodge but it is not a Pokemon move or ability, so it feels weird. Pokemon battle. You want them to fight but then you raise a shield to protect your fighter? That feels like cheating somehow. I hope the main game never does this. You don't want to faint don't fight lol.
It's LITERALLY the move Protect which has been a staple since gen 1

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
So should we organize to "battle" each other and farm some stuff?
You should try to become great friends while PvP isn't released yet since I assume we all live quite a bit of distance apart from each other lol

There will also be a competitive ranked ladder at https://silph.gg if people are interested, but it's probably more optimized for local play since becoming great friends is kind of a pain.

Oxx

Oct 28, 2017
I think I have a few Best Friends from Era.

But maybe the timezone differences will bite me.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw a Buizel for only the 2nd time since its been released on my nearby and on both occasions I was unable to track it down. Elusive bastard.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You should try to become great friends while PvP isn't released yet since I assume we all live quite a bit of distance apart from each other lol

There will also be a competitive ranked ladder at https://silph.gg if people are interested, but it's probably more optimized for local play since becoming great friends is kind of a pain.
I'm Ultra and Best friends with some people on here already! I'll be your punching bag, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.