• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxx

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't really get into raiding until after Rayquaza, so it's currently a big gap in my pokedex.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Ohhh, totally in for Rayquaza as it's my favorite legendary. But, that's a bad weekend. I'll probably only be able to manage a few hours. Plus, if this thing is as difficult to catch as it was for me with Latias, I may only come away with 1 or 2.

But, on the plus side, I'll become Ultra friends with my second account before then, so that'll boost my raiding capabilities.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I don't have Ray yet so I'll be burning through my passes that weekend. I don't care if it's shiny or not, I just want a few good IV ones.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Dialga is a fantastic dragon slayer so this event makes sense. Everyone is begging for shiny Ray though haha

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
I haven't played since raids were added. Is there a primer on them? I'm not sure I "get" them yet.
Do you want a full description? Raids are time sensitive "boss" battles, you use a team of Pokemon to defeat. There are 5 difficulty levels of raids with 5 being the most difficult. Most level 1 and 2 raids can easily be defeated by yourself. Level 3 raids can still be solo'ed but require a team setup that can take full advantage of super effective damage. Level 4 and 5 raids require more than just yourself. You must do those raids with two or more people. Level 5 raids are reserved for the month's Legendary pokemon. At most, 20 people can join a single raid.

Raid Eggs appear at gyms with a countdown timer of an hour indicating when it'll hatch (or, when the raid will start). Once the raid starts, it'll be available for 45 minutes.

To join a raid, you need to use a Raid Pass. You get one free raid pass every day, but can only hold on one of these at a time. You get this by spinning a gym. You can also get green Raid Passes, which can be purchased or rewarded. These stack in your inventory, so you can have a bunch.

For me, I don't coordinate raiding with anyone. But, I've noticed that when the countdown timer approaches Zero, many other players start showing up to the same location and get ready for the egg to hatch. So, I've only ever been able to do T4 and T5 raids when people are standing around waiting for it to begin.

Once the raid is active, click on the gym, and click the green button to join the lobby. The button will also show how many people are already in the lobby. The lobby is active for 2 minutes, and then the raid begins. The battle starts, you fight the pokemon. If you win, you'll get a bunch of rewards, and then have a chance to catch the raid pokemon. You use Premiere Balls which are rewards based on performance in the fight, with a minimum of 6 (i think). You keep using your balls until you either catch it, or run out. If you run out, you're out of luck.

You can retry a raid if you weren't able to defeat the pokemon. But, if you defeat the pokemon and don't catch it, you can't retry.

I think that's it...

Edit: In the US and other English speaking countries, many people use Facebook or Discord to coordinate raiding to get enough people at the location to the defeat the boss.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Ah good Rayquaza event officially revealed. Not really a great weekend for me possibly, but I'll try some attempts on that Friday least.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Do you want a full description? Raids are time sensitive "boss" battles, you use a team of Pokemon to defeat. There are 5 difficulty levels of raids with 5 being the most difficult. Most level 1 and 2 raids can easily be defeated by yourself. Level 3 raids can still be solo'ed but require a team setup that can take full advantage of super effective damage. Level 4 and 5 raids require more than just yourself. You must do those raids with two or more people. Level 5 raids are reserved for the month's Legendary pokemon. At most, 20 people can join a single raid.

Raid Eggs appear at gyms with a countdown timer of an hour indicating when it'll hatch (or, when the raid will start). Once the raid starts, it'll be available for 45 minutes.

To join a raid, you need to use a Raid Pass. You get one free raid pass every day, but can only hold on one of these at a time. You get this by spinning a gym. You can also get green Raid Passes, which can be purchased or rewarded. These stack in your inventory, so you can have a bunch.

For me, I don't coordinate raiding with anyone. But, I've noticed that when the countdown timer approaches Zero, many other players start showing up to the same location and get ready for the egg to hatch. So, I've only ever been able to do T4 and T5 raids when people are standing around waiting for it to begin.

Once the raid is active, click on the gym, and click the green button to join the lobby. The button will also show how many people are already in the lobby. The lobby is active for 2 minutes, and then the raid begins. The battle starts, you fight the pokemon. If you win, you'll get a bunch of rewards, and then have a chance to catch the raid pokemon. You use Premiere Balls which are rewards based on performance in the fight, with a minimum of 6 (i think). You keep using your balls until you either catch it, or run out. If you run out, you're out of luck.

You can retry a raid if you weren't able to defeat the pokemon. But, if you defeat the pokemon and don't catch it, you can't retry.

I think that's it...

Edit: In the US and other English speaking countries, many people use Facebook or Discord to coordinate raiding to get enough people at the location to the defeat the boss.
Thank you very much, I think it makes sense now.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Thank you very much, I think it makes sense now.

Note that recently 3* raids were bumped in difficulty. Basically you need 3 of the top 6 counters with the right moveset and 90% powered up at level 40. I'm about able to beat machamp again as I've got 2 espeons, 2 alakazams and I'm powering up mewtwo. 3* solo is where the money is - 3 rare candies on average.
https://www.pokebattler.com/raids

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Bah, these 2 legendary raids are going to be hard to get. I can't make next community day. I'm going to have to go to the domain in north Austin sat/sun and hope that a 5* raid is happening.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, Rayquaza is one of the two remaining legendaries I don't have. Went ahead and boosted my top Articuno and prepped a Mamoswine. My ice team was effectively nonexistent.

Oxx

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, my ice squad is pretty limited at the moment.

Time to use all this stardust on Mamoswines.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
I doubt they've retired all the Spinda numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a Spinda day in the future where all the numbers are available but random. Maybe release the shiny at the same time so it's possible to get a shiny of each number.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I can't believe they're bringing back Rayquaza without a shiny variant. I get that lots of players don't have him, but for those such as myself that do, I won't be using any premium passes on this. I guess I'm just going to hold out for Shiny Latias at this point.

I wonder how long they're going to hold out on Shiny Mewtwo and Rayquaza for. I feel like they're going to save both as "Break Glass in Case of Emergency" blitzes should they decide to go public and attract investors. :P

Zaphod79

Nov 9, 2017
Ohhh, totally in for Rayquaza as it's my favorite legendary. But, that's a bad weekend. I'll probably only be able to manage a few hours. Plus, if this thing is as difficult to catch as it was for me with Latias, I may only come away with 1 or 2.

Obviously its been a while since its been in game but it was much closer to the screen than Latias and only moved up / down or attacked so should be slightly easier (think of it is a slightly further away Ho-oh)

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the first time since I started playing (or replaying) that I've gotten both featured shiny Pokémon. Just caught Machop this morning.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
My shiny luck has been spectacular so far since the fighting event started. Caught a Manky almost as soon the event started yesterday. Caught a shiny Meditite this morning followed by a shiny Makuhita an hour later. Now I just caught a shiny Machop followed by another shiny Meditite literally 30 seconds afterward.

Hoping to get one more shiny Machop before the even ends.

KamalaHarris

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe they're bringing back Rayquaza without a shiny variant. I get that lots of players don't have him, but for those such as myself that do, I won't be using any premium passes on this. I guess I'm just going to hold out for Shiny Latias at this point.

I wonder how long they're going to hold out on Shiny Mewtwo and Rayquaza for. I feel like they're going to save both as "Break Glass in Case of Emergency" blitzes should they decide to go public and attract investors. :P
I don't even know why they are bringing Rayquaza out now when Dialga is bringing out the raid teams they should have saved him for when the Lake Regis takeover the summer

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
When Rayquaza comes back with the shiny available, it'll be for a longer period of time ala Kyogre/Groudon.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Skuntank best PvP Pokémon confirmed. Just played my mate and his Suntank tore through all 3 of my Pokémon. So I chose him next game and returned the favour.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
No luck on the shiny front, last wild one for me was after the Clamperl event where I got a stray shiny Feebas out of nowhere. I don't even have Meditite or Makuhita shiny so that's 4 possible chances, but nothing yet. I'm stocking up on Machop because once the event is over, I won't be seeing him much.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna get my research breakthrough after midnight. I don't have any of the legendaries of this month besides the dogs, and after getting 3 Zapdos in a row last month, I swear, if I don't get something new I will delete this game from my life

:(

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Would be nice if they did a Legendary Happy Hour so I could do more after work... or you know, give us a back the hour that they stole from us the first time they accounted for daylight savings time.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Just setup my galaxy s10. Omg the grafix are so gud d00d.

Just kidding, looks the same as it did on s5 and s8.

Despite backing up and restoring, seems that AR+ and adventure sync were disabled by default.

Last edited:

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
That lunchtime raid thing is so dumb.

They really think the only reason people don't raid at that time is because there aren't many raids.

Instead of the obvious thing where the majority of players would have work.

They don't even offer any incentives to raid. No free passes, no double XP or stardust, etc...

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I think they changed spawn points. I just had the purple frog in the wild pop up at my house...I've never had a wild pokemon show up. No GPS drift or anything either.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they REALLY wanted to increase the amount of raids done, they could extend raiding hours past seven fucking thirty. You know, when the majority of people would actually HAVE TIME TO DO THEM. They start at the ungodly hour of about 5:30 am, they could at least go until 9 pm.

Dental Plan

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If they REALLY wanted to increase the amount of raids done, they could extend raiding hours past seven fucking thirty. You know, when the majority of people would actually HAVE TIME TO DO THEM. They start at the ungodly hour of about 5:30 am, they could at least go until 9 pm.

Yeah I get off work at 7pm now so all my raiding has to be done on the weekends.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
That lunchtime raid thing is so dumb.

They really think the only reason people don't raid at that time is because there aren't many raids.

Instead of the obvious thing where the majority of players would have work.

They don't even offer any incentives to raid. No free passes, no double XP or stardust, etc...

Or maybe their data suggests people do raid at that time and this is a way to test out whether they can increase raid activity even more (read: get people to buy raid passes)?

I know this is anecdotal, but I've definitely noticed the raids during lunch hours are much more well-attended than ones in the morning or afternoon.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

They should just show a daily schedule at the gym. I've had time to kill before and I have driven to places with a lot of gyms, sometimes I get luck sometimes nothing. I get part of the experience is luck, but I don't see how showing a gym's schedule for 24 hours really takes away from that. Niantic has a financial incentive to have people raid - I don't get why they don't do this.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Or maybe their data suggests people do raid at that time and this is a way to test out whether they can increase raid activity even more (read: get people to buy raid passes)?

I know this is anecdotal, but I've definitely noticed the raids during lunch hours are much more well-attended than ones in the morning or afternoon.
I kind of feel like the only thing this event does is screw over the people that try to raid a T1 or T2 boss on their lunch break.

KamalaHarris

Oct 28, 2017
Lunch hour is such a common sense idea that any other regular company would have already done it, now I know where and when to be if I want raids instead of hoping I get lucky randomly searching

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017

Oxx

Oct 28, 2017
The groups I'm a member of generally focus on lunchtimes.

There are 6 gyms in my visible area and it's shocking how many days there are when nothing worthwhile hatches between 12 and 2.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Seems you're not the only one to notice: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/ayhzqa/osm_update/

I also lived in a zone that was entirely marked as construction that GulAtiCa fixed for me a long time ago. Would be great if that's actually in effect now lol

Cool.

It's not much, but uncommon mons show up in the wild around my neighborhood every few days. I've seen Snorlax, sheldon, and purugly a few times. Hoping my house got that spawn point.

Status
Not open for further replies.