• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Sweet, I have now made over 100 pokestops in the game :)
Isn't a feature similar to the one in Ingress available for level 40 trainers in Go as well? I have been working hard leveling in Go recently to get to 40 so I can do this, since the closest pokestop from my house is 8 miles away, and I ain't walking 8 miles for a simple pokestop spin.

I wish Niantic made it easier for people to make new stops, or atleast take recommendations from people that could prove they live in areas that are very barren when it comes to stops/gyms.

Hopefully I could liven up the valley I live in in the future. I wouldn't want to set up stops/gyms close to my house, but actually set them up in places that don't cheese the system. There's many points of interest where I live, like playgrounds, hiker trails leading to mountain tops, ski slopes in the winter and such that would spice up an otherwise boring exercise session. Too bad the road to 40 is so long. Especially when you got nothing to work with in the first place.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Wow I got a shiny Shuppet! That was unexpected.
Is it just me or does this game hand out shinies like candy? I've been playing since Gen 1 and found a total of two shinies in the wild in the mainline games. In PG I'm already at 4 and I only started playing seriously a few weeks ago. Crazy.
A non boosted shiny in Go still has 1/450 rates, so there's some decent luck involved (like that Shuppet you caught). Even with heavy play you could go for days without finding one. Of course there are some Pokémon (like Scyther, Pineco) that have standard boosted rates. During comm day, or the recent Slakoth redux weekend, shinies are boosted to 1/25. So if Slakoth is one of those 4, you weren't that lucky. The chance of finding one was just really high.

That being said, the way I see it, shinies are handled completely different in the main series and Go. I don't really play the mainline games, but I don't think they're as much of a thing there as in Go as they're super duper rare (correct me if I'm wrong). It's just something unique that doesn't really impact the gameplay. In GO however, shinies have pretty much become the bread and butter for veteran players who want something to do after (nearly) filling out the dex or having enough powerful beasts to raid with. The shiny dex replaces the regular one and now you're hunting the shinies of every species. With every new event people see the new shiny release as thé reason to go out playing, which is starting to cause burnout for some players as shinies aren't really new content, but Niantic knows people thirst after them. Trickling them out just means people will keep playing. That's why many are excited for the Team Rocket event, because that will bring major new features to the game instead of just giving you another new shiny to hunt.

I just started playing this for the first time yesterday. Gonna try to add some of you guys. :]

Feel free to add me, I'm in the doc. I'm good at the regular gifts thing

On the shiny front: of course, the day after I trade for my first Meditite, I find one in the wild. It's all good though, now I have the set. Medicham is a great looking shiny too.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't a feature similar to the one in Ingress available for level 40 trainers in Go as well? I have been working hard leveling in Go recently to get to 40 so I can do this, since the closest pokestop from my house is 8 miles away, and I ain't walking 8 miles for a simple pokestop spin.

I wish Niantic made it easier for people to make new stops, or atleast take recommendations from people that could prove they live in areas that are very barren when it comes to stops/gyms.

Hopefully I could liven up the valley I live in in the future. I wouldn't want to set up stops/gyms close to my house, but actually set them up in places that don't cheese the system. There's many points of interest where I live, like playgrounds, hiker trails leading to mountain tops, ski slopes in the winter and such that would spice up an otherwise boring exercise session. Too bad the road to 40 is so long. Especially when you got nothing to work with in the first place.
Where do you live? It's only love in select countries? US will no doubt be last.

But keep working on XP. This event should help a lot. And the easiest way to gain XP is through Friendship.

Thanks to Friendship, I've gained 25 million xp in just 1 year.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Where do you live? It's only love in select countries? US will no doubt be last.

But keep working on XP. This event should help a lot. And the easiest way to gain XP is through Friendship.

Thanks to Friendship, I've gained 25 million xp in just 1 year.
Only select countries, and mine(Norway) is not one of them, yet. But by the time I hit 40 I hope it is. I know the feature is live in Denmark so I guess the rest of Scandinavia will follow. Atleast I hope so.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'd imagine Norway will be soon the list. So keep at it! What level are you at now?

Raxious

Oct 27, 2017
start playing again about 2 days ago, could use some friends :D
currently lvl 14 and probably to weak to go for that armored Mewtwo event :(

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Hippopotas nests, so keep an eye on TheSi
Wow I got a shiny Shuppet! That was unexpected.
Is it just me or does this game hand out shinies like candy? I've been playing since Gen 1 and found a total of two shinies in the wild in the mainline games. In PG I'm already at 4 and I only started playing seriously a few weeks ago. Crazy.
I would say yes, but on the other hand, I also didn't catch 30.000 Pokémon in any mainline Pokémon game.

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This game's shiny distribution is seriously annoying, I feel like they've massively decreased in value now the odds are so low for finding them (even as low as 1 in 25 for community days). That new Start Up research that just hands you shiny Eevee is the biggest culprit of this too, literally you get a shiny, you get a shiny, everybody gets a shiny! I know the core games have a few instances of this too but it's never as on the nose as this.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
This game's shiny distribution is seriously annoying, I feel like they've massively decreased in value now the odds are so low for finding them (even as low as 1 in 25 for community days). That new Start Up research that just hands you shiny Eevee is the biggest culprit of this too, literally you get a shiny, you get a shiny, everybody gets a shiny! I know the core games have a few instances of this too but it's never as on the nose as this.

Maybe for hardcore players but I highly doubt casual players get as much shiny mons as we do.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't given the option to check appraisals. It's just showing as a perfect.
It depends if you're on Android or iOS - the Android version can scan appraisals live while on iOS you have to remember it and input manually. Appraisals are that ribbon looking icon.

But you don't need Pokegenie to verify a perfect. On a perfect, the appraisal will mention all three stats then say they are the best (exact wording varies depending on your team).

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I think you mean high odds.

Regardless, I never understand these complaints because they always come off as if the complainers don't pay much attention to the mainline games because Game Freak gives away shinies all the time. I got a shiny Tapu Fini in Ultra Moon last month and all I needed to do to get it was play three matches in an online competition. Shiny Tapu Koko was even easier, it was just given away for free in the Mystery Gift menu and you could even stockpile them if you were willing to delete your save to get another. Are you really going to tell me Go's shiny Eevee required less effort than those?

As far as the shiny rates themselves, they're different games. The mainline games typically have methods that help boost shiny rates, something Go doesn't have, and it's a hell of a lot easier to farm Pokemon in them than in Go, so expecting them to have the same rates is nonsense.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of the way Niantic have tackled shinies but I don't think the rates are the issue. Shiny checking is an incredibly tedious exercise and the way Niantic trickle them out as if they're new content is ridiculous. Personally, I'd make shinies visible on the overworld map (killing the need to manually check them), release every shiny possible (making every Pokemon, even poor old Barboach, worth paying attention to) and THEN I'd lower the shiny rates to help balance those changes. Then during events they could raise both the spawn and shiny rates to encourage people to go and hunt them.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK

Regardless, I never understand these complaints because they always come off as if the complainers don't pay much attention to the mainline games because Game Freak gives away shinies all the time. I got a shiny Tapu Fini in Ultra Moon last month and all I needed to do to get it was play three matches in an online competition. Shiny Tapu Koko was even easier, it was just given away for free in the Mystery Gift menu and you could even stockpile them if you were willing to delete your save to get another. Are you really going to tell me Go's shiny Eevee required less effort than those?

As far as the shiny rates themselves, they're different games. The mainline games typically have methods that help boost shiny rates, something Go doesn't have, and it's a hell of a lot easier to farm Pokemon in them than in Go, so expecting them to have the same rates is nonsense.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of the way Niantic have tackled shinies but I don't think the rates are the issue. Shiny checking is an incredibly tedious exercise and the way Niantic trickle them out as if they're new content is ridiculous. Personally, I'd make shinies visible on the overworld map (killing the need to manually check them), release every shiny possible (making every Pokemon, even poor old Barboach, worth paying attention to) and THEN I'd lower the shiny rates to help balance those changes. Then during events they could raise both the spawn and shiny rates to encourage people to go and hunt them.

Shinies as "content" is depressing. They should be treated as nice little bonuses.

Whilst I agree that I would like shinies to appear on the map (as in Let's Go), I think in practice that could prove incredibly frustrating. The amount of times I get errors because the map spawn is there but it's clearly gone from the server, or all the Pokemon disappear with only some reappearing... losing a potential shiny is one thing, but actually losing one when you know it's there through no fault of your own.... nope!

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Shinies as "content" is depressing. They should be treated as nice little bonuses.

Whilst I agree that I would like shinies to appear on the map (as in Let's Go), I think in practice that could prove incredibly frustrating. The amount of times I get errors because the map spawn is there but it's clearly gone from the server, or all the Pokemon disappear with only some reappearing... losing a potential shiny is one thing, but actually losing one when you know it's there through no fault of your own.... nope!
Doesn't that already kinda happen? It hasn't happened to me but there are reports of people losing shinies because the spawn changed to something else while they were catching it.

I guess that scenario might be frustrating but I'd gladly take it to avoid the mindless shiny checking grind it currently has.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Doesn't that already kinda happen? It hasn't happened to me but there are reports of people losing shinies because the spawn changed to something else while they were catching it.

I guess that scenario might be frustrating but I'd gladly take it to avoid the mindless shiny checking grind it currently has.

Yeah, it does. Though I imagine it would increase in frequency if they were on the map.

I'm really just playing devil's advocate I guess. It would be so good if they were on the map, as you say!

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I learned just a few weeks ago when I got my first shiny that shinies appear normal on the map and that you have to start the encounter to see if it is a shiny or not. Damn did I feel stupid. I have played on and off since launch but never spent time learning the intricate stuff about the game. I wonder how many shinies I have missed because of it, haha!

Deleted member 25140

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

I did mean high odds, my bad.

It's just personal preference I guess, I preferred it when shinies were this ultra rare thing that few people would ever encounter, regardless of if you were breeding, soft resetting or using a method. The standard Go odds are something like 1 in 450 iirc, way waaaay higher than the 1 in 4096 in the main games. Besides, usually the shinies Game Freak gives out are rewards for things that are easily missable like online competitions or Mystery Gifts that are the only way to get a shiny locked Pokemon like the Tapus or Zygarde. It's easier than the Eevee sure but if you don't pay attention, which I doubt the majority of players do, you're not gonna get it, whereas the Eevee is part of a series of quests specifically aimed at new players. That's without taking into account community day when players can easily walk away with multiple shinies as the odds are so high.

Yeah they're different games but when Home comes out they're gonna be transferable to the main games anyway so not really.

Just kinda miss how lucrative and rare they were before but each to their own 🤷🏼‍♂️

CPlus_Gamer

Jun 24, 2018
I think it's easier in Let's Go then Go to catch shinies (Can't speak for MSG). In fact, I bet if you had one person farm for a shiny Ghastly in Go while another did it in Let's Go the Let's Go person would finish in 5-6 gameplay hours while the Go person would take more like 20-30. The Go person would have to go out and find a nest or farm research tasks. The Let's Go person would just have a shiny badge on and walk around the tower in Lavender town for a few hours and they would be good to go. The same goes for most shiny eligible mons unless you have a huge nest and even then you won't have near the number of encounters.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody know if Armored Mewtwo can be trioed? Won't be able to get out and raid for a while so might need to depend on my close group near the end of the time period.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
You're going to hate the size of it. Should have bought a Gotcha instead.
The size doesn't bother me to be honest. What does bother me is the vibration, and there's no way to turn it off it seems like. I looked at the Gotcha beforehand, but read so many mixed experiences from users about frequent disconnects that I chose an official product instead. And I got a Mew!
Are you going to do anything with the Mew? lol
Play around with it in LGPE, and probably transfer it to Pokémon HOME come 2020.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Got a 3rd shiny Spinda.

I did 2 Armored Mewtwo raids and caught them both and I feel like I'm already done with it.
Meanwhile, I haven't seen a Spinda quest since oh, March?

I did an Armored Mewtwo today, caught it on my first ball. Naturally, at 89% it's better than all 7 of the regular form I ever got. Go figure.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha is useless if you have Android. Use the new quick catch. Saves balls, time and can even use great and ultra.

Means more Pokemon, potential shinies and xp/stardust

Status
Not open for further replies.