• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Speaking of the gotcha, are there different models? The manufacturer's website is terrible but on Amazon Germany there's a "2019 version" for ~15€ more. Looks to me like it's the same device with a different bracelet only, though. Anyone can recommend the "best" gotcha if there's one?

Zaphod79

Nov 9, 2017
Speaking of the gotcha, are there different models? The manufacturer's website is terrible but on Amazon Germany there's a "2019 version" for ~15€ more. Looks to me like it's the same device with a different bracelet only, though. Anyone can recommend the "best" gotcha if there's one?

There is the original version which is around £30 (pounds not euros sorry)
They released an updated one with newer / better firmware about a year ago , however you can update the firmware on the older ones so other than potentially having a dud battery (which Amazon will swap out for you) i'm not sure on why you'd go for the 'newest' version.

There is a newer one with a battery pack and compass built in for about £15 more - however for me at least the big advantage is the small size and the battery pack is not that great (you normally see this down as the 'gotcha ranger')

Then there are apparently 'clones' (not seen much about them but they do exist).

The original bracelet is a white and red plastic one , you can buy a number of third party ones as the size and charge unit is the same as a chinese fitbit (**edit its the Mi Band 1) - however I never have mine in the bracelet and basically always sat in the charger - either just loose in my pocket or plugged into a battery pack (in my bag or pocket)

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
There is the original version which is around £30 (pounds not euros sorry)
They released an updated one with newer / better firmware about a year ago , however you can update the firmware on the older ones so other than potentially having a dud battery (which Amazon will swap out for you) i'm not sure on why you'd go for the 'newest' version.

There is a newer one with a battery pack and compass built in for about £15 more - however for me at least the big advantage is the small size and the battery pack is not that great (you normally see this down as the 'gotcha ranger')

Then there are apparently 'clones' (not seen much about them but they do exist).

The original bracelet is a white and red plastic one , you can buy a number of third party ones as the size and charge unit is the same as a chinese fitbit (**edit its the Mi Band 1) - however I never have mine in the bracelet and basically always sat in the charger - either just loose in my pocket or plugged into a battery pack (in my bag or pocket)
Thanks! Seems like the 2019 one really is a cash grab with a leftover miband bracelet then, there's no battery pack nor compass.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So I caught about 90 Poliwags and checked about another 20, no shinies. Boo.

I wasn't playing during Swinub Community Day but I bet that was miserable. That's one of the most frustrating mons to catch (maybe the most frustrating non-raid). He attacks and jumps constantly, has a low catch rate, and is so far from the screen that I can't hit him with curve balls because my phone screen is too narrow.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally back out of the house. All last week, I was stuck at home with a very bad back. So, I essentially missed much of the event (I used the sock technique to hatch eggs lol). So, let's not have any complaints about lack of shinies (didn't even read last few posts, just assuming someone complained lol). :P

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
So I caught about 90 Poliwags and checked about another 20, no shinies. Boo.

I wasn't playing during Swinub Community Day but I bet that was miserable. That's one of the most frustrating mons to catch (maybe the most frustrating non-raid). He attacks and jumps constantly, has a low catch rate, and is so far from the screen that I can't hit him with curve balls because my phone screen is too narrow.
Swinub was a bit annoying, since he's so far away, but catch rates are raised for CDs so it wasn't too bad.

I was still pretty new to the game back then, so I was more interested in the shinies than the candy and went home after I'd done that, which I later regretted once I realised how powerful Mamoswine's are. I think I only ended up evolving three Mamoswine's at the time, though I've got eight now.

hergipotter

Oct 28, 2017
Finally back out of the house. All last week, I was stuck at home with a very bad back. So, I essentially missed much of the event (I used the sock technique to hatch eggs lol). So, let's not have any complaints about lack of shinies (didn't even read last few posts, just assuming someone complained lol). :P
WTF is the sock technique?!

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
The 26th Rayquaza raid was the shiny. Currently 1/27. Going to still try to keep up with raiding at least one a day, though I'm a day behind at the moment after a really busy weekend.

No shiny luck at all otherwise. I still have a few incomplete GO Fest quests but I'm not expecting much from them.

Last edited:

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
Ended the event with 3 shiny Sneasel, 2 Kabuto, 1 Wailmer and a Pidgey. Also not part of it but hatched my own Gible so that's a boon.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Caught 2 shiny Poliwag, a shiny Kabuto, and a shiny Natu yesterday, so I'm happy.

CPlus_Gamer

Jun 24, 2018
3 shiny Poliwag, shiny psyduck, kabuto, shelder, horsea, anorith, and wingull, hatched shiny wynaut and shiny togepi. Best event so far for me! Poliwag, horsea, kabuto, and shelder all unique!

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Where are the shiny complaints? This thread is too happy right now.
I haven't seen a shiny since the 4th! I needed so many of the boosted ones but got nothing.

And what a bummer to return to normal spawns for the stardust bonuses. I'd love a surprise, but I'm not holding my breath.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
My shinies from the event were a Natu, a Luvdisc and a Murkrow. Not as many as some of you all, but I've been looking for the Luvdisc and Murkrow forever, so was pretty pumped about those. No shiny hatches though, but I did hatch a perfect Swablu and Cleffa.

EDIT: Oh, I also got a shiny Groudon from research breakthrough. I have such good luck with the breakthroughs. I've gotten shiny Moltres, Zapdos, Articuno, Ho-Oh, Latios and now Groudon.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
My shiny event results:
12 Poliwag
4 Sneasel
3 Pidgey
1 Smoochum
1 Alolan Vulpix
1 Alolan Sandshrew
1 Party Hat Pikachu
1 Witch Hat Pikachu
1 Flower Crown Pikachu

I'm on a shiny Rayquaza drought though. That's my only complaint.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
My shiny event results:
12 Poliwag
4 Sneasel
3 Pidgey
1 Smoochum
1 Alolan Vulpix
1 Alolan Sandshrew
1 Party Hat Pikachu
1 Witch Hat Pikachu
1 Flower Crown Pikachu

I'm on a shiny Rayquaza drought though. That's my only complaint.
How many hours a day are you playing/shiny checking if I may ask? I've played 2-3 hours a day and didn't get a single one. Or are you using a gotcha?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
My shiny haul was:

1 Poliwag
2 Sneasel
1 Psyduck
3 Pidgey
1 Wynaut
1 Pichu (no hat)
1 Horsea
1 Togepi
1 Alolan Meowth
1 Swinub

There were barely any Poliwag around.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
How many hours a day are you playing/shiny checking if I may ask? I've played 2-3 hours a day and didn't get a single one. Or are you using a gotcha?
Upwards of 7-8 hours a day. The egg hatching event at least gave me a reason to keep the game on and shiny check while hatching eggs.

I forgot to add a shiny Psyduck to my list. Totally forgot about since I already have a few of them.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Oh dear, hatched a Gastly with a CP of 666.

So apparently Devil is a inappropriate word to use when naming the pokemon (including typing it as De Vil), but Antichrist is okay lol. Demon is also okay, which I ended up naming this Gastly with. XD

Still in any case....

9Fe8.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are we expecting there to be much excitement around shiny water dog day?

My wife is going to a baby shower with my son so I'll actually have a good couple of hours in the afternoon to get out and raid. Gonna be a real bummer if no one else can be arsed.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Are we expecting there to be much excitement around shiny water dog day?

My wife is going to a baby shower with my son so I'll actually have a good couple of hours in the afternoon to get out and raid. Gonna be a real bummer if no one else can be arsed.
It's a pretty useless Pokemon but the shiny looks great and there's 3k stardust for every raid (4.5k with a star piece on which last one hour), so I'm guessing those will draw plenty of interest.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Haven't gotten a single shiny since Ralts day lol, happy enough with the dex stuff I've added over the event tho, just wish Suicune was sunday so I could pick one up. Might be useless but Gold Silver was a great gen.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Can't wait for the dust event to start, but unfortunately it looks like it'll be raining most of the week so that's a bummer. I have the week off so I'm going out if there's one ok day.

J.Edge

Oct 29, 2017
Returning to the fray after a while. High time I actually bothered building a friend's list... So hey there! I'm probably the friend request you just got.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
All this talk about how many shinies in dozens of legendaries and I feel accomplished finally getting the hang of curveballs. :P Finally found a tutorial that actually works for me. I'd seen a few on Youtube that seemed to show spinning from the center and tossing off to the side, but this one was just a simple image and text that, despite being from all the way back in 2016, was still useful. Still can't quite guarantee a hit in the nice+ zone, but at least I'm not throwing Pokeballs away left and right.

Deleted member 12028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I started playing this about 3 years late because of let's go eevee. Finished that, but going to continue on with go. I'll in the Bay Area if anyone wants to add me. Going to put my name in the list if you guys are still doing that.

Doh, nobody else in the bay?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.