• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Serebii curious if you went to the Poke Go Fest in LA? I'm assuming not considering you're based in UK AFAIK.
Na not this year

May do a GO Fest this summer but honestly it's easier for me to cover them when not there, as much fun as they would be...but I couldn't justify dropping a couple of grand for a GO event, especially with my views on Niantic and GO right now

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Na not this year

May do a GO Fest this summer but honestly it's easier for me to cover them when not there, as much fun as they would be...but I couldn't justify dropping a couple of grand for a GO event, especially with my views on Niantic and GO right now

Fair enough, but as someone who recently got back into Pokemon Go after a two year long hiatus, what are your views on Niantic and Go rn?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Fair enough, but as someone who recently got back into Pokemon Go after a two year long hiatus, what are your views on Niantic and Go rn?
Niantic have ruined a good thing

GO Tours are a prime example. In 2021 and 2022 these were full global events where people can play regardless, or spend £10 on a ticket that gives a variety of bonuses including boosted shiny rates. Millions would do this giving Niantic millions in revenue with very little overhead beyond the usual costs.

Then, the COVID concerns "ended" and in 2023 they decided to split it up to a paid live event for ~30,000 people, then a free event with reduced activities globally with no paid ticket. This reduces the money they earn significantly just for the live event to exist

It's got even worse this year with even less to do just for the perception for the live event. Heck it even goes against their "vision" of trying to get people to go out and play as more would if the event was as cohesive as it was in 2021 and 2022

They have ruined the game a lot in the past couple of years in the name of their vision, ignoring player feedback routinely. I admire it in a way, but you can tell it's not working by their heavily reduced revenue. Now, they're rushing and implementing things people have asked for over the years to try and appease the userbase but it's too late.

I sometimes get more activity on Café ReMix content than GO content, and GO used to be one of the big draws.

I love playing GO, I prooposed to my wife during GO Fest in 2021, and seeing the way it is going is sad. I hope they can right the course, but that'd need certain people in Niantic to stop having a hand in it

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I sometimes get more activity on Café ReMix content than GO content, and GO used to be one of the big draws.

Cafe ReMix already feels like it's out the door with more paid Pokemon, more repeat guests for events, worse pull rates (at least, in my experience), and the fact that the base game is done. My guild also ended up having a lot leave, so I feel like it won't have much time left.

For Go, I sure miss where the 7th day Research would feature legendaries up to Gen 3... The one feature I sure miss because I don't care for raids at all (especially with the inflated Remote Pass price...)

Boppa

Apr 4, 2020
Well that was 8 hours of non stop humidity in Brisbane, I did a lot of raids today and managed to score a both origin form shinys with roar of time and spacial rend.

All in all the shiny count is probably the lowest I've had for a major pogo event (9 shinies including 3 origin form legendaries).

I really wish they brought back global tickets and put more effort into the research (it was abysmal this year), I don't know how they can keep messing up the basics.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Was actually kinda looking forward to chilling at home this weekend, popping a bunch of incense, and trying to get some free shines since this wasn't a payed event. But of course Niantic give us this nerfed standard incense that spawns a Pokémon only once every 5 minutes when you're stationary instead of the once every 60 seconds it was in previous GO Tours…

Now my motivation to open the app at all is basically zero.

hupla

Oct 27, 2017
Are you kidding me that Spacial rend doesn't actually let you interact with Gyms and pokestops at an increased distance???? What is wrong with Niantic Jesus

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
When they say "take a pic of Uxie etc. in the wild" does that mean you can do it without entering a raid? Not that I've ever seen a wandering one before (but I think those exist?)

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The Lake Trio are appearing in the wild semi-frequently during Sinnoh fest, so you don't need to do a raid.

I'll need to make sure to go out at least tomorrow, but I doubt I'll be that lucky to encounter one. Bad timing this weekend to stay home and work on things, because something keeps coming up every weekend...

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
It pains me to see PoGo in this state.

Gyms with Pokemon in it for more then 30 days (used to be gyms with a lot of activity). Whenever someone calls a raid no one shows up anymore. Today I saw I few people play the game but I didn't recognized anyone.

Playing in Japan last year was a amazing experience but in the Netherlands it's depressing and lonely

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Are you kidding me that Spacial rend doesn't actually let you interact with Gyms and pokestops at an increased distance???? What is wrong with Niantic Jesus
Uh....

well....

You can already interact with gyms and Stops at this increased distance since 2020 for free lol

I really wish they brought back tickets and put more effort into the research (it was abysmal this year), I don't know how they can keep messing up the basics.
I'm unsure about the research. It was of course very short and the rewards non-existent. On the other side, probably the number 1 complaint about these past Tour events was that there was too much going on, long special research, timed research, collections. Cutting that down this year felt a bit "cheap" I agree, at the same time it's much more relaxed not having to worry about evolving every single Sinnoh Pokemon, trading stuff and doing dumb tasks over 15 pages of special research. I'm honestly okay with it.

Was actually kinda looking forward to chilling at home this weekend, popping a bunch of incense, and trying to get some free shines since this wasn't a payed event. But of course Niantic give us this nerfed standard incense that spawns a Pokémon only once every 5 minutes when you're stationary instead of the once every 60 seconds it was in previous GO Tours… Now my motivation to open the app at all is basically zero.
Niantic did you a solid here. Not sure how many shinies you'd expect to get but Tour rates are awful. So you'd have sat all day to get maybe 1 shiny if you're lucky. Why not just play Scarlet?

Last edited:

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Uh....

well....

You can already interact with gyms and Stops at this increased distance since 2020 for free lol

I'm unsure about the research. It was of course very short and the rewards non-existent. On the other side, probably the number 1 complaint about these past Tour events was that there was too much going on, long special research, timed research, collections. Cutting that down this year felt a bit "cheap" I agree, at the same time it's much more relaxed not having to worry about evolving every single Sinnoh Pokemon, trading stuff and doing dumb tasks over 15 pages of special research. I'm honestly okay with it.

Niantic did you a solid here. Not sure how many shinies you'd expect to get but Tour rates are awful. So you'd have sat all day to get maybe 1 shiny if you're lucky. Why not just play Scarlet?
Ironically, I've surprisingly caught and registered 4 new shinies today chilling in my bed. Despite the shitty incense. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Sadly, after 10 Palkia Origin remote raids I didn't get the shiny. 😔

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So reviewing all the stuff you could do for free today…why did I spend $25 to go to the LA Pokemon Go Tour fest again? 😅

bulletbill10

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reasonably good luck with shinies, 11 in in 4 hours with good variety, include 3 from legendary raids, but I really miss the collection challenge and more complex research. I used to stay out literally all day to work on that, and I was stopped by another guy today who was asking if I knew how to activate it.

It's still fun, and folks out here were still reasonably active with it (despite temps being at freezing and a bunch of snow overnight) but it used to be so much more, ya know?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I got all 3 sprites today, which makes me so happy to do it for free and without travelling. I may hate raiding, but I happened to be parked at a spot right when a raid popped for Palkia Origin (and I don't even have a Palkia yet) and when I joined 14 others did and it was nice to take something down so easy and catch it. Right place, right time! Nothing near my home had anyone join, so I don't wanna waste my remote passes unless I see others in there. Maybe tomorrow, but doubtful (guess I won't be able to complete the new special research for a while...)

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
Here hoping for better luck with shinies today. At least for the regionals that I'm missing (East Shellos, Pachirisu, Carnivine), and the (possibly) event exclusives (Origin Dialga and Palkia, Basculin).

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
keiichi Hi, could you potentially post / message me your invite code from in-game? I joined before invite codes were a thing and it's giving me the option to put in someone's for the next 57 hours, but I have to be friends with them. We added each other a long time ago and you're the only person I see on my friends' list that's still playing. Also feel free to message me, I think you have your messages turned off.

If not, can someone else post their friend code and invite code? I'll use theirs instead. Thanks!
I wouldn't mind sharing mine, if that doesn't work out.

Trainer Code: 9586 7083 5470

Referral: 83CHFJF36

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Wonder if Niantic wants people to stop playing.

Current event for example is horrible:

- Special Pikachu that's near impossible to find
- New Pokemon locked behind RNG.
- Awful spawns
- Legendary Pokemon in T5 raids that has nothing to do with the event
- No new shiny (not counting Pikachu).

I'm also truly annoyed they stopped with the special monthly ticket. Because I was able to open 40 gifts I made a lot of new friends. Now that's over I have to choose which gifts to open

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder if Niantic wants people to stop playing.

Current event for example is horrible:

- Special Pikachu that's near impossible to find
- New Pokemon locked behind RNG.
- Awful spawns
- Legendary Pokemon in T5 raids that has nothing to do with the event
- No new shiny (not counting Pikachu).

I'm also truly annoyed they stopped with the special monthly ticket. Because I was able to open 40 gifts I made a lot of new friends. Now that's over I have to choose which gifts to open

It's been progressively getting worse, to try and push out more money from people. I've always been a casual player that's never spent money on the game and hate raids, so I often never get like the new egg-only spawns or get to do raids and things, or region-exclusives if under paid events (but I was sure glad to get the 3 sprites last Fest in the wild! The research made them guaranteed catches). The Cap Pikachu I found a few going out yesterday, and didn't realize it was a really rare spawn, but I guess I was just lucky in this case :x

I have heard people say that even in big/ticketed events that shiny rates have really dropped and yeah I noticed it too during special spawn days and stuff. Just the usual give us more money > fun game.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
After like 6 months my route submission was finally rejected. I guess gated communities are banned from having routes, which sure, I get it, but on the other hand I don't when gyms and stops are themselves allowed and routes are literally just paths between them, and those are *much* more likely to attract disruptive behavior. News to me too since the gated community across the road has had two for months, including one that's been around since they rolled out, so that's neat.

It also means I literally don't have *any* route options that don't require me drive somewhere, so I guess that means the feature is dead to me outside of *maybe* vacations.

(It also says shopping malls are banned (???), which is wild since those are like half the routes I've ever been able to do.)

Last edited:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm still getting errors with logging in, even though I get into the game and it still requires like 3 clicks of my email to try again. This is outside of any major events too, it's annoying.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
After like 6 months my route submission was finally rejected. I guess gated communities are banned from having routes, which sure, I get it, but on the other hand I don't when gyms and stops are themselves allowed and routes are literally just paths between them, and those are *much* more likely to attract disruptive behavior. News to me too since the gated community across the road has had two for months, including one that's been around since they rolled out, so that's neat.

It also means I literally don't have *any* route options that don't require me drive somewhere, so I guess that means the feature is dead to me outside of *maybe* vacations.

(It also says shopping malls are banned (???), which is wild since those are like half the routes I've ever been able to do.)
Just spam-submit routes (legit ones of course). The process is mostly automated by now, you normally get it approved/denied in seconds. One of them is gonna get approved sooner or later.

You mainly need to watch out you don't walk near any schools, hospitals, that kinda stuff and the GPS is accurate enough that it sticks to the road and doesn't clip into house/private property. I doubt gated communities are banned if the one next to you has some.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Just spam-submit routes (legit ones of course). The process is mostly automated by now, you normally get it approved/denied in seconds. One of them is gonna get approved sooner or later.

You mainly need to watch out you don't walk near any schools, hospitals, that kinda stuff and the GPS is accurate enough that it sticks to the road and doesn't clip into house/private property. I doubt gated communities are banned if the one next to you has some.
They are banned. The reason code was "Inaccessible Area", and the description for that code on the support website is "gated area".

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
So I just guaranteed lucky traded a shiny Kyurem from my alt and it became a Shundo, sparking the age old question.

If I had chosen, say, a shiny Kyogre instead for my guaranteed lucky trade, would I have ended up with a Shundo Kyogre instead?

I realize there's probably no way to know for certain without reverse engineering the code, but boy, do I ever wonder.

Furthermore, I'm bummed that Kyurem is going to be outclassed by the Black/White versions. I'm sad this one can't combine and transform. ;P

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
No one can answer the Kyogre question really. Sure it could've rolled to a hundo too but that's just the risk you take when you trade.

As for Black/White Kyurem, there have been hints towards fusion being added to the game for Kyurem and Necrozma. So you may be able to use that, although who knows how that will work exactly.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Wonder if it's to late to revert the changes of your avatar in PoGo. I think there are a lot of good ideas but in typical Niantic fashion they completely dropped the ball. Especially the face of your avatar looks lifeless

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I created a Route across my local park months ago, as I walk across it most days.
It accepted the Route and I was completing it most days.
But for the last few weeks, half the time it doesn't show up. I open Routes and it shows other ones in the area but not the one I created.
This is while I'm standing right at the start point. Like one in every ten times it will show up. I don't get it, what's going on?