• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Yeah, I've gotten Snivy, Machop and Skarmory as encounters beside the guaranteed ones. Not particularly worth it to spend a premium pass, unless they're really shady and give the premium track better odds at getting more exciting Pokemon (Scraggy, Deino). But nothing in the files seems to suggest this.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
One thing they should think about for claiming the rewards is that they let you complete 5 battles for free first. Then when it's time to claim rewards, allow you to use a premium pass to upgrade your rewards to the premium line.

I bet they would sell way more premium passes that way. But Niantic probably isn't smart enough to think of it.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Got 4 out of 5 on my second rank. Did premium so got 6 charged tms. Used em all on my lucarios second move to get aura sphere.... Didn't lol.

10 TMS circling through close combat, flash cannon and shadow ball. Woe is me.

Durant is a real MVP though. No one sees him coming.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Durant is a real MVP though. No one sees him coming.
Yeah, obscure Pokemon outside of the meta picks can definitely catch people off guard. I couldn't get to sleep and watched some youtubers play BL. Funniest thing I saw was people switching in Fire and Flying type Pokemon against Sudowoodo because they though it was grass hahah

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
really enjoying the pvp stuff. Ive been running:

registeel, altaria, clefable all shiny all very close to 1500 (clefable is exactly 1500).

went 22/25 so far. first two losses were at the first level and its before i bothered powering anything up. ended up dropping about 80k stardust, but i assume ill earn it back in a couple weeks. might give registeel a second charge move.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the game. Sometimes the game thinks I wasn't to switch pokemon during a battle when I'm not tapping anywhere near the bottom.
Turns out to be the screen. So anybody I'm friends with on here, expect less gifts until my replacement phone comes in and I got it set up. My screen is so bad that I can't throw a pokeball anymore.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Lots of events just got announced: https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/feb2020-events

Woobat as breakthrough is pretty shit. Tornadus for 3 weeks had to happen at some point but isn't really exciting. Sinnoh event could be great if we actually have a decent chance to get that shiny Riolu and Gible, looks like it might be another (terrible) hatch event, though. Valentine's Day weekend sounds good for 6 hour lures alone, also Audino and some fish Pokemon release and shiny Chansey/Happiny is good. Lickitung raid day is terrible, who even asked for that lol. Don't care too much for friend weekend. And the mystery hours on the next Tuesday and Thursday sound pretty good. Good month overall, although research breakthrough and raids blow.

It's really stupid that the top dogs in Master League (Giratina-O and Dialga) haven't been available in forever when ML comes into rotation in BL, though. Huge missed opportunity regarding raids/breakthrough.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Please make the sinnoh event make it easier to get sinnoh stones so i can evolve some of this shit
It says they'll be rewards in field research, so you should be good.

Also, I just realized it says that Lickitung will know an exclusive move. So, that shouldn't carry over to the evolution unless you have to have enough candy to evolve them on raid day. This basically means we have an exclusive move on a completely useless Pokemon lol. Or maybe not completely useless, might have some use in PVP now?

Also part 2: still no new ex raid boss announced. Go away ready, Gigas.

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to see an interesting Research Breakthrough, it makes it worth it that I skipped trading in a research today.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
It's really stupid that the top dogs in Master League (Giratina-O and Dialga) haven't been available in forever when ML comes into rotation in BL, though. Huge missed opportunity regarding raids/breakthrough.
the game hammered fomo into me and i had to go hard for gira o and dialga and asking for them in lucky trades. they were known to be monsters upon release.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Ohhh, several new pokemon in random places. I'm glad I've been saving my research breakthrough so I can get a Woobat immediately. Though that means I won't be able to do any field research today during community day voting. Oh well.

Through the end of February, that means a total of 588 pokemon should be available in the game.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Glad to see an interesting Research Breakthrough, it makes it worth it that I skipped trading in a research today.
Interesting take. I think Woobat should have been a regular spawn/research task reward on Valentine's, it certainly fits the theme. It being a research breakthrough only gets beaten by Evee and just for the reason Evee went on for two months lol

the game hammered fomo into me and i had to go hard for gira o and dialga and asking for them in lucky trades. they were known to be monsters upon release.
Yeah, but I didn't play when they were released and the people I got lucky friends with didn't have a spare one of either. That 40k stardust cost will also scare people away from trading with me

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I've got 14 wins and 11 losses :/ In the upper ranks I've reached, I've used a mix of Medicham, Altaria, Wigglytuff, Lapras, and Whiscash. It's not working out very well in rank 5.

Master league, and to a lesser extent Ultra, is going to be brutal with folks with maxed double move legendaries just rolling across people.

Never would have guessed we'd see a Lickitung raid day... how bizarre.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I'm currently at 28 wins and 12 losses. A lot of the losses were either due to lag or mistakes tapping on my part though.

I've for the most part settled on Altaria with Dragon Breath/Dragon Pulse/Sky Attack, Bastiodon with Smackdown/Flamethrower/Stone Edge, and Defense Deoxys with Counter/Psycho Boost/Thunderbolt.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm doing my walking with two accounts and currently trying to finish up a Magmortar and Gyarados before these spawns disappear, since they'll be useful until I get something more powerful. But it's annoying how my second account keeps getting all these shinies and nothing on the main. Just the last few days I've gotten a Bulbasaur, a couple of Magikarps, a Klink and now a Magmar. When I get to Best Friends I'll trade these when I get a lucky trade, but still. I even got a shiny Yanma on one of the first days after creating the account.

This month will be crazy with all the events. I'm probably going to break and buy those incubator boxes again, since both Gible and Riolu are at the top of my want list.

Also, RIP my Gible that I've been walking for 220 bloody kilometers only to make it all pointless in a few days.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Man, now I'm actually doing the Great league and Ultra league prep, it'd be nice to have a Star system, similar to the main games, where you can mark the usefulness of the pokemon you have. For example, marking Pokemon for Great league only, or Ultra league only. Or perhaps even being able to mark Pokemon for trading, too.

Right now everyone just renames their pokemon to something searchable or informational for convenience. Long gone are the days personalizing your pokemon with an actual name.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
I'm currently at 28 wins and 12 losses. A lot of the losses were either due to lag or mistakes tapping on my part though.
Yeah, I've had a weird encounter with lag or faulty input that cost me the win. It was a Skarmory mirror match to start the game where my opponent got Sky Attack off while mine still needed one or two more air slashes to charge up. Thought it'd "lag back" so I'd get on par again but nope, he was able to fire them off earlier than I each time. Not so cool in a one battle match and rewards depending on it.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know when the walking distance starts tolling for your next batch of battles? I was doing some walking today and did some battles as soon as I hit 5km from my previous bar, and by the time I finished my fifth, the new bar was at 1.5km, which I'm pretty sure I hadn't done between the start of my first battle and then.

As for progress, I'm at 8 for 10 so far. I guess I've gotten lucky in my match-ups for the most part. The two I lost were mainly due to my team being weak against everything the other team had. It's nice to have a few legendaries from research rewards that ended up <1500. I'm rather annoyed that this battle system doesn't count for the "Win against another Trainer 7 times" in A Thousand-Year Slumber, which I still haven't finished. I can never seem to get any of my ultra/best friends to join a battle.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Does anyone know when the walking distance starts tolling for your next batch of battles? I was doing some walking today and did some battles as soon as I hit 5km from my previous bar, and by the time I finished my fifth, the new bar was at 1.5km, which I'm pretty sure I hadn't done between the start of my first battle and then.
You can charge up two batch of battles. So if you start fresh without any progress, you can walk 10 km and then have two batches of battles ready. If you then don't do at least one batch, everything over those 10 km will be lost.

Edit: and the info above is already outdated haha

Niantic changed it so that you can do five sets of battles instead of 3 and only need to walk 3 km for each set. No idea how/if the progress stacks after 6 km, though.

Last edited:

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Ohhh, several new pokemon in random places. I'm glad I've been saving my research breakthrough so I can get a Woobat immediately. Though that means I won't be able to do any field research today during community day voting. Oh well.

Through the end of February, that means a total of 588 pokemon should be available in the game.

There was a large batch releases a few weeks ago. If you were playing then too its probably just ones boosted by weather you didn't have before.

They're probably gonna trickle out 1-2 at a time throughout the year until gen 6.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
There was a large batch releases a few weeks ago. If you were playing then too its probably just ones boosted by weather you didn't have before.

They're probably gonna trickle out 1-2 at a time throughout the year until gen 6.
I think I prefer the trickle. Then I can stay up to date easier rather than having a bunch I need to catch all at once.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scanning my low attack IV Pokemon, I've got a Meltan with the supposedly best possible PVP spread. Is Melmetal any good in PVP? If so I need to grab Let's Go and catch some for candy.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Scanning my low attack IV Pokemon, I've got a Meltan with the supposedly best possible PVP spread. Is Melmetal any good in PVP? If so I need to grab Let's Go and catch some for candy.
Melmetal is very good. Thunder shock charges moves really fast and Rock Slide/Thunderbolt or Rock Slide/Superpower gives a good amount of type coverage. Just make sure you don't face anything with fighting or ground moves though.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing my walking with two accounts and currently trying to finish up a Magmortar and Gyarados before these spawns disappear, since they'll be useful until I get something more powerful. But it's annoying how my second account keeps getting all these shinies and nothing on the main. Just the last few days I've gotten a Bulbasaur, a couple of Magikarps, a Klink and now a Magmar. When I get to Best Friends I'll trade these when I get a lucky trade, but still. I even got a shiny Yanma on one of the first days after creating the account.

This month will be crazy with all the events. I'm probably going to break and buy those incubator boxes again, since both Gible and Riolu are at the top of my want list.

Also, RIP my Gible that I've been walking for 220 bloody kilometers only to make it all pointless in a few days.
Lol, on the expectation that they'll increase Gibles hatch odds.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Hit Rank 9. Apparently they increased the ELO rating required to hit Rank 10 from 2700 to 3500. I'm probably not going to hit Rank 10 (rating is currently almost 3200) but it was fun enough for what it was.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Star pieces work on the PVP rewards, don't they?
Yup just tested it. Got 5 out of 5 on my second account and got about 10k stardust, 7 rare candy and 6 charged tms lol. Have a shiny registeel on that account. Don't even have a normal one on my other. But he does some damage. My shiny zapdos tore ppl up. Bit of a glass cannon but only takes 4 fast attacks to get his drill peck up.

Only tried it on second account to see if my Pokémon were ok or just if ppl were terrible. Ppl are just terrible

Last edited:

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting take. I think Woobat should have been a regular spawn/research task reward on Valentine's, it certainly fits the theme. It being a research breakthrough only gets beaten by Evee and just for the reason Evee went on for two months lol
Lapras I don't need 5 of them, one good one was enough. Woobat is something new, something to work to.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Over the last two days I've gotten a Scraggy, shiny Heatran and Darumaka #2 so I'm fairly happy. The Heatran was a relief what with it leaving raids in a few days and my busy month limiting the number of raids I could do.

At first look I was excited for the events this month. I enjoy raid days (even if it is just a dumb Lickitung), I'd like more Gible/Riolu (even if most of my hatches will be garbage and there's no chance I'll get the shinies) and 1/2 trade cost events are great. Plus bringing out a new T5 that isn't particularly meta relevant (unless they significantly buff Hurricane) means I can catch a couple and then focus on Timburr. But what on earth are they thinking with all the weekend events? Do they really think people are going to plan their entire month around their game or something? It seems incredibly dumb to me. There's no reason why one or two of those events couldn't last a week.

And SMH at the spotlight and mystery bonus hours. Everyone around the world who cares enough will find out about them long before their hours start, except for us in NZ, so why not just tell everyone what it is? It's fucking annoying. I'll probably try to do the spotlight hour but won't bother with the bonus hour. I seriously doubt any bonus they'd be willing to give out will be worth the hassle, especially since it's only for one hour.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
That voting process for CD sucks a lot. I've barely managed to find any Rhyhorn tasks, like 5 on 30ish stops and then decided to just keep the Machop/Dratini until I'd find more Rhyhorn. I didn't, though, and thus completed them because anything is better than Vulpix for me lol

Not really the way we should vote. I think the results will be surprising.

But what on earth are they thinking with all the weekend events? Do they really think people are going to plan their entire month around their game or something? It seems incredibly dumb to me. There's no reason why one or two of those events couldn't last a week.

And SMH at the spotlight and mystery bonus hours. Everyone around the world who cares enough will find out about them long before their hours start, except for us in NZ, so why not just tell everyone what it is? It's fucking annoying. I'll probably try to do the spotlight hour but won't bother with the bonus hour. I seriously doubt any bonus they'd be willing to give out will be worth the hassle, especially since it's only for one hour.
Yeah, February seems totally overplanned. 1st weekend Research day, 3rd raid day, 4th community day and we might see something for the last weekend as well. Plus the events on the 2nd and 3rd weekend. And with those special hours, there'd also be something on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday at 6 PM, unless they scrap raid hour which seems unlikely.

Honestly, that's how you kill a game (and not with shitty eggs).

Last edited:

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I voted twice for Vulpix because I couldn't find more.

Figured Vulpix was best choice because it's 2-for-1.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting worse and worse at this PVP stuff. The more I invest, the fewer wins. I might as well not even try, on balance I'll get more dust.

Man, now I'm actually doing the Great league and Ultra league prep, it'd be nice to have a Star system, similar to the main games, where you can mark the usefulness of the pokemon you have. For example, marking Pokemon for Great league only, or Ultra league only. Or perhaps even being able to mark Pokemon for trading, too.

Right now everyone just renames their pokemon to something searchable or informational for convenience. Long gone are the days personalizing your pokemon with an actual name.
Yes, this is super necessary, especially since there's no scaling. You need to be able to lock a Pokemon to not power up or evolve out of the league.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I'm getting worse and worse at this PVP stuff. The more I invest, the fewer wins. I might as well not even try, on balance I'll get more dust.
It makes sense though that the higher rank you get, the harder the battles will be.

Makes me wish they had non-ranked matchmaking though just for times you want to PVP against a random person to test certain pokemon or just for fun.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense though that the higher rank you get, the harder the battles will be.
It does, of course, but I don't think the rewards system really incentivizes investing in order to stay on the winning side of the zero sum arms race of matches. The rewards difference between an atrocious and okay win rate is fairly small, it's only if you're great (and lucky) that you get the nice stuff.

And yes, some unranked matchmaking would be nice to test things out.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It does, of course, but I don't think the rewards system really incentivizes investing in order to stay on the winning side of the zero sum arms race of matches. The rewards difference between an atrocious and okay win rate is fairly small, it's only if you're great (and lucky) that you get the nice stuff.

And yes, some unranked matchmaking would be nice to test things out.
Yeah. They need to fix the rewards to make it more enticing. Drop the number of wins you need for an encounter by 1 and let you do 5 battles for free first and then let you decide if you want to spend a premium pass to claim the rewards after so you know what exactly you're getting. The way it is now you can spend a premium pass and not get anything.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The real solution would of course to just have the rewards for winning independent of the 'series' you are on. So if you have 3 wins on 5 battles, then you can get reward number 4 on your next set of battles.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Yeah. They need to fix the rewards to make it more enticing. Drop the number of wins you need for an encounter by 1 and let you do 5 battles for free first and then let you decide if you want to spend a premium pass to claim the rewards after so you know what exactly you're getting. The way it is now you can spend a premium pass and not get anything.
That latter part is clearly never happening. It's equivalent to getting your raid pass back if you fail to beat the raid boss, which would be fine but Niantic clearly has no intention to do so. And while that is fine for raids (because other players sucking can cost you the pass), I'm not a fan of your idea for PVP. You can basically half ass your battles and once you hit the jackpot, you can get the good rewards. That feels more like pay to win to me.

What they should really do is to drastically increase the amount of wins needed for the guaranteed encounters and have a permanent win progress. Get a Snorlax after 10 total wins, get a Scraggy after 40, have a random encounter every 5 or ten wins and so on. They can keep the premium track and reward additional Pokemon encounters, stardust and items. That would be a proper solution.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
That latter part is clearly never happening. It's equivalent to getting your raid pass back if you fail to beat the raid boss, which would be fine but Niantic clearly has no intention to do so. And while that is fine for raids (because other players sucking can cost you the pass), I'm not a fan of your idea for PVP. You can basically half ass your battles and once you hit the jackpot, you can get the good rewards. That feels more like pay to win to me.

What they should really do is to drastically increase the amount of wins needed for the guaranteed encounters and have a permanent win progress. Get a Snorlax after 10 total wins, get a Scraggy after 40, have a random encounter every 5 or ten wins and so on. They can keep the premium track and reward additional Pokemon encounters, stardust and items. That would be a proper solution.
Lol at 40 wins for a Scraggy. You'd be close to Rank 10 with that many wins.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I just got a silver pinap for my first win in premium. If I lose the next four I'll probably never play premium again because fug that. Spending a raid pass on a good IV Magikarp is a better value.

Or, I guess you could get zero wins. Ugh, I don't think this has been costed appropriately.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Lol at 40 wins for a Scraggy. You'd be close to Rank 10 with that many wins.
I mean, probably not? I have 35 wins now and am about to hit rank 7 with the next win or two. And as I understood it, once you hit rank 7, you need to have a decent win percentage to level up. If it's about total wins for rewards you can go 40/500 and probably not be rank 10 (unless that win percentage to progress past rank 7 is nonsense).

And 40 total wins in a season looks very achievable to me? If you only do 5 battles a day you can get your Scraggy by winning 1/5 and 2/5 every other day. Or make it 30 total wins, it's just an idea. Seems far more feasible than going 3/5 in a series (twice! because Snorlax) for a lot of players I've talked to about their BL performance.

Last edited:

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I mean, probably not? I have 35 wins now and am about to hit rank 7 with the next win or two. And as I understood it, once you hit rank 7, you need to have a decent win percentage to level up. If it's about total wins for rewards you can go 40/500 and probably not be rank 10 (unless that win percentage to progress past rank 7 is nonsense).

And 40 total wins in a season looks very achievable to me? If you only do 5 battles a day you can get your Scraggy by winning 1/5 and 2/5 every other day. Or make it 30 total wins, it's just an idea. Seems far more feasible than going 3/5 in a series (twice! because Snorlax) for a lot of players I've talked to about their BL performance.
When I hit Rank 7, I went 1/5 in my next set and my rating only dropped like 20 points but still got to Rank 8. You barely need to win in the higher ranks to keep your ELO up.

A permanent amount of wins to force encounters is fine, unless you're in the upper ranks and you're really just not going to win more than you lose if you're playing casually. They should have made Scraggy just an encounter you get for hitting Rank 4 rather than making you do a set. I think that's what most people would have preferred.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
When I hit Rank 7, I went 1/5 in my next set and my rating only dropped like 20 points but still got to Rank 8. You barely need to win in the higher ranks to keep your ELO up.

A permanent amount of wins to force encounters is fine, unless you're in the upper ranks and you're really just not going to win more than you lose if you're playing casually. They should have made Scraggy just an encounter you get for hitting Rank 4 rather than making you do a set. I think that's what most people would have preferred.
Oh okay, what was/is your win percentage like? I've also read they changed the rating requirements to rank up with the changes in walking distance and amount of sets you can do. It's still pre-season, it might get more difficult to rank up in the first proper season. And when more people reach rank 7, you should get matched up against 'weaker' opponents and be able to win more easily if you lost at lot, at least in theory. You've ranked up very high for the short amount of time it's available, so it's natural there's a lot of serious players there.

But yeah, everyone expected you get the Snorlax and Scraggy encounter when reaching that rank and not being forced to win the encounter. That one definitely feels wrong.

First Woobat, 26 Candy with Pinap. That is going to be fun.
Is it an 50 candy evolution?