• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Oh okay, what was/is your win percentage like? I've also read they changed the rating requirements to rank up with the changes in walking distance and amount of sets you can do. It's still pre-season, it might get more difficult to rank up in the first proper season. And when more people reach rank 7, you should get matched up against 'weaker' opponents and be able to win more easily if you lost at lot, at least in theory.

But yeah, everyone expected you get the Snorlax and Scraggy encounter when reaching that rank and not being forced to win the encounter. That one definitely feels wrong.
I had 39 wins out of 65 battles to hit Rank 9. Rating is at 3197. When I hit Rank 7 I had like 35 wins out of 55 battles with my rating being like 3100 or so.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
I had 39 wins out of 65 battles to hit Rank 9. Rating is at 3197. When I hit Rank 7 I had like 35 wins out of 55 battles with my rating being like 3100 or so.
Oh okay, mine are similar. At 34/55 right now. That's kind of a bummer actually, incentive wise. But it's also very good news because I can skip UL/ML if I reach rank 10 in SL already.

Yeah 2 pinapped woobats and your good
Nice, then I did the right choice claiming another shiny chance at Lapras (although I of course didn't get one lol).

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Oh okay, mine are similar. At 34/55 right now. That's kind of a bummer actually, incentive wise. But it's also very good news because I can skip UL/ML if I reach rank 10 in SL already.
I may bother with Ultra League enough to try to get another Scraggy if that encounter is guaranteed again, but I can't see myself bothering with Master League because it's just going to be everyone using 100% level 40 Dialga/Giratina/Mewtwo/etc...

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
I may bother with Ultra League enough to try to get another Scraggy if that encounter is guaranteed again, but I can't see myself bothering with Master League because it's just going to be everyone using 100% level 40 Dialga/Giratina/Mewtwo/etc...
Oh, is that the case? I assumed we would keep our rank through the whole pre-season and not lose it when formats/leagues change. Guess we'll see when UL comes.

For ML, I've got some (near-)maxed Pokemon for raids, so I guess I can do well enough there. But I honestly have nothing for UL that doesn't need a lot of leveling up. I don't think I'll bother with it, whether they resets ranks or not.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Someone has to explain PVP to me.

Not sure how my opponent got literally 2 charge attacks in a row.

Is there a guide on counter meta picks?

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Someone has to explain PVP to me.

Not sure how my opponent got literally 2 charge attacks in a row.

Is there a guide on counter meta picks?
Your fast moves generate energy. In raids, there is a limit where you first have to do one of your charged moves before you can gain more energy (e.g. when both bars of a two bar move are filled). In PVP, there's also a limit but it isn't shown. You can build up a second (and third) charge attack for some moves even if your circle is full/attack is ready. So if you build up enough energy, you can fire off multiple charge attacks in a row.

There are plenty of sources: pvpoke.com shows you the top ranked Pokemon and their key matchups (both strong and weak against). This is also a good starting guide: https://pokemongohub.net/post/pvp/strongest-great-league-pokemon/

SilphArena also has plenty of good information: https://silph.gg/getting-started-pokemon-go-pvp

Edit: sorry, seems like there's a limit for energy stored in PVP as well, I corrected that. But you can store up multiple charges for low energy cost charge attacks like Dragon Claw.

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Minccino Research Day over, I went 4/44 though I still have 3 left to open. It was a fun event, despite the heat, a lot more like Clamperl Research Day last year than the Feebas and Lotad ones, albeit with far less interesting spawns. I'm not a fan of the gym, super effective attack, raid and rocket battle tasks, as they rely entirely on those being nearby (and in the case of the gym/super effective ones, controlled by an opposing team), but it's easy enough to throw those away and move onto the next stop if you have enough stops around you (sucks for rural players though). I haven't seen it reported but it's worth noting that Minccino's in 5km eggs as well, as I ended up hatching one during the event.

As well as all that, I caught my fourth shiny Rattata (yay...) and ran into one of my lucky friends, so we did a shiny Magikarp for shiny Magikarp trade.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
This Minnicino event was really fast. My first research was a shiny. Then my eighth one. And then my 15th one. I was on my way home from the airport and did all this in about 30 minutes The spawns aren't interesting at all, unless you want to go hard for full odds shinies. Raids are Heatran and Party Hat Raticate only. Also pretty boring. Unfortunately rodent Pokémon and normal Pokémon are the most boring categories, so what can ya do.

Overall a quick success. I wish there was more to it, but this has gotta be good for rural folk.

Also, I finally got a good Timburr out of a trade, which I evolved to a Conkeldurr, and grabbed that Woobat from research. +4 in the Pokédex. I'm at 559/588.

Also also, I'm not sure how well known this is, but if you've already claimed your 7th stamp of the week, but haven't yet claimed the weekly breakthrough rewards, you are unable to claim rewards from completed special research, not just normal research.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 18 for 20 on battle league. Got my scraggy gonna leave it there. 25 charged tms from 4 sets of fight is worth it though tbh. Swapped out my latios for a toxicroak with counter mudbomb. Ppl seem to forget what type he is at these low levels. Someone swapped out their lapras straight into a bastiodon who's life bar melted in about 4 seconds

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My team is Clefable, Deoxys-D, and Altaria. I've gone 15/17 so far which I suppose is good because everyone should be batting .500 if it were evenly matched.

Deoxys-D seems to be be pulling the least weight on the team, and I don't have 100 candies to teach him a second move. Who would be a good fit replacement with the other two?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My game froze on my last charge attack to win the game. What should I do (it's still looping an animation with no on screen buttons)?

Edit: so I waited about five minutes and closed the app. When I logged back in I got a win notification.

Last edited:

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Spun 13 stops. Got 4 shinys from them in the first hour. So stopped now. Lol was super easy research too

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Does Mincinno have a good shiny rate or are some of you really lucky?

Also, I only have to walk 3km to charge my PVP. Is that a Rank 5 thing, or did they lower it?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I got 9/60 shiny Minccino and a bonus shiny Sentret. These research days are my favorite events, it got me into the game again after hardly playing these last few weeks.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Quoting that post again because of your rating. Did you battle a bit more? And does the rating points make any sense to you or are they just broken?

I reached rank 7 this morning and got a rating of around 3060. I did three more sets and instantly got to rank 8 and 9 subsequently, while doing surprisingly well (both 4/5 wins). In the third set, after reaching rank 9, I went 2/5 and I had the tiniest progress bar to rank 10 and my ranking overall only went up to 3111. So I googled which rating you need for rank 10 and it says 3500. With my current rate, I'd need another 80 wins which is complete madness. Especially when you consider how strong the opponents are in the higher ranks. The ranking up is absolute nonsense after reaching rank 7.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Oh and yes, my first research day and it was plenty fun! Went 6/74 for shinies and got a bonus shiny female Nidoran, which made me very happy.

If only it weren't the year of the rat and we could have gotten some different spawns but I don't blame Niantic for that lol

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
What a waste of a premium pass in battle. Go 1 and 4, and its not even close. Feel like Im doing something wrong with Azumerril, Altaria, Registeel.

Im 6-8 and just getting annihilated in ranks 4 (and now Im heading into 5).
Even if I get the first kill, Im done for.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
What a waste of a premium pass in battle. Go 1 and 4, and its not even close. Feel like Im doing something wrong with Azumerril, Altaria, Registeel.

What moves are you using and what are you facing that's giving you trouble?
Quoting that post again because of your rating. Did you battle a bit more? And does the rating points make any sense to you or are they just broken?

I reached rank 7 this morning and got a rating of around 3060. I did three more sets and instantly got to rank 8 and 9 subsequently, while doing surprisingly well (both 4/5 wins). In the third set, after reaching rank 9, I went 2/5 and I had the tiniest progress bar to rank 10 and my ranking overall only went up to 3111. So I googled which rating you need for rank 10 and it says 3500. With my current rate, I'd need another 80 wins which is complete madness. Especially when you consider how strong the opponents are in the higher ranks. The ranking up is absolute nonsense after reaching rank 7.
If I understand correctly, there is a hidden rating right from the start. Beating people who have a higher rating than you rewards more points than beating someone lower and vice versa for losing. I was getting matched up against Rank 5 and 6 people at Rank 4 and winning so that might have inflated my rating.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019

Do you get bad matchups? Lots of people go in with your Pokemon and it's no surprise that many people bring hard counters to those. If your opponents are running Lanturn/Venusaur, Deoxys, Swampert for example, you're already wrecked.

If you don't get bad matchups, you could look into advanced techniques (switches as pseudo-shields, energy management, etc.) and broaden your knowledge on possible moves on opposing Pokemon and how long it takes them to fire off their charge attacks.

If I understand correctly, there is a hidden rating right from the start. Beating people who have a higher rating than you rewards more points than beating someone lower and vice versa for losing. I was getting matched up against Rank 5 and 6 people at Rank 4 and winning so that might have inflated my rating.
Yeah, the rating is there all the time, for sure.

I'll see tomorrow if I can raise my rating a bit more significantly but I won't bother anymore if I get so little addition to my rating.

Last edited:

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
What moves are you using and what are you facing that's giving you trouble?

Do you get bad matchups? Lots of people go in with your Pokemon and it's no surprise that many people bring hard counters to those. If your opponents are running Lanturn/Venusaur, Deoxys, Swampert for example, you're already wrecked.

If you don't get bad matchups, you could look into advanced techniques (switches as pseudo-shields, energy management, etc.) and broaden your knowledge on possible moves on opposing Pokemon and how long it takes them to fire off their charge attacks.

Yeah, the rating is there all the time, for sure.

I'll see tomorrow if I can raise my rating a bit more significantly but I won't bother anymore if I get so little addition to my rating.

My current line u

Azmarill = Bubble + Ice Beam/Hydro Pump
Altaria = Dragon Breath + Sky Attack/Dragon Pulse
Registeel = Lock-On + Focus Blast

I would say Azmarill is giving me trouble, but not sure what else. I have seen Deoxys and Tropius (but never the others)

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
My current line u

I would say Azmarill is giving me trouble, but not sure what else. I have seen Deoxys and Tropius (but never the others)
Switch out Hydro Pump for Play Rough is probably the first thing I'd say.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno why everyone just uses the same stuff. Everytime I come up against the same lineup I win. I used that lineup once and only one 2 out of 5. It's so predictable. Easier just to go in with hard counters to those. I'm 22 out of 26 now

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Just finished hatching the 5 km egg I picked up on accident today (and which made me mad about myself for being stupid).

It was another shiny Minccino lol

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I think the only thing I'd suggest to improve research days is re-rolling the research tasks every hour or even 30 mins because the event is limited by the number of stops you have available and if you're in a smaller community, you're kinda fucked. It'd also actually make those 3hr lures Niantic seemingly forgot to announce a lot more useful.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think they need to increase the shiny rates of Pokemon for these three hour events, not just the featured Pokemon. They don't need to be community-day levels, but an increase would be cool.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
I think they need to increase the shiny rates of Pokemon for these three hour events, not just the featured Pokemon. They don't need to be community-day levels, but an increase would be cool.
Yeah I suppose they could've done that. Technically this was a Lunar Rat event, not just a Minnicino research event. 'mons like Nidoran didn't even match any of Minnicino's research. So why not bump up the shiny rate a tad bit? All the spawns were meta-bad, so I only caught Pokemon when I had research that asked for it.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Well, guess I'm finished with playing Battle League properly until they fix the rating aspect. That new required rating for rank 10 seems stupid, it's 3500 now, was 2700 before.

I went 3/5 (won against two players with a better rating than me and lost to two with a lower rating) and gained 5 points to my rating. I need another 389 points for rank 10. What utter nonsense.

Edit: finished another set with 2/5 because of bad lead matchup and lag/a game error and actually lost one rating point.

Last edited:

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.png

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't know what they were thinking with Dratini as an option. That had zero chance of winning.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My current line u

Use whiscash instead of registeel. I use that line and it has serve me well

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I started doing some PvP, and it's quite fun. I need a better lineup though. My Altaria is great, but need something to hep counter Azmarill

Oct 25, 2017
Please do something to make Sinnoh Stone(s) available so that if I catch another really good Rhyhorn I can evolved it to Rhyperior during the event and not waste my only stone on a pokemon I already have.

Also I have a 100 IV Rhyperior. Am I screwed for the CD move?