• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I think the shiny rate thing for regionals was based on research - there was an observed change in the rate according to TSR researches, so it wasn't just collective anecdotes.

Saying that, it's good they responded directly about the rates.

CPlus_Gamer

Jun 24, 2018
I think the shiny rate thing for regionals was based on research - there was an observed change in the rate according to TSR researches, so it wasn't just collective anecdotes.

It was based on scanner data. Im not knowledgeable about scanned data but I was under the impression that it was very reliable.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019

See, that's how little people care for proper sources. It was some guy using scanner data that just made a post on reddit. That scanner data just might as well be made up, who even knows? And unless you have a very high amount of scanner data, it's hard to prove statistical significance that it actually differs.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017

It wasn't based on TSR research, it was based on what scanners were saying using data across 24 hours, which are generally pretty good and match up with TSR's data once it's released. The idea that the data was faked or it was just a massive coincidence that the regional shiny rates suddenly spiked at the end of the week and then started going back down after the controversy erupted is just ridiculous to me. Why on earth would anyone give the benefit of the doubt to Niantic at this point, especially when they refuse to publicise their egg/shiny rates? Come on.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Guys, I'm looking for a couple of new friends for a research thing. If you add me I'll send gifts!

6251 8300 9429

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
It wasn't based on TSR research, it was based on what scanners were saying using data across 24 hours, which are generally pretty good and match up with TSR's data once it's released. The idea that the data was faked or it was just a massive coincidence that the regional shiny rates suddenly spiked at the end of the week and then started going back down after the controversy erupted is just ridiculous to me. Why on earth would anyone give the benefit of the doubt to Niantic at this point, especially when they refuse to publicise their egg/shiny rates? Come on.
Here we go

Have you actually seen the data? I'm not believing some random guys "data" when I can't see prove.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Fair enough folks, just shows how easy it is for information to disseminate throughout the global community. Would definitely be interested in seeing the actual data though.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen this posted in here, Niantic guy on shiny rate for the regionals:

Another reminder that people get butthurt when they don't get as many shinies as they want to. Also, yeah, people are still gonna highlight the "intentionally" or make a conspiracy out of this quote but RNG is gonna RNG.
Link to the original post?

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Here you go:

Monkeys don't count :P

Have only seen one firemonkey nearby although fire has been boosted most of the time here. But fair enough, thought those were rare~ish as well.

They're super rare unless it's their weather boosted condition. Then at any point in your line of sight, in a city anyway, there's probably 3-4. First time you see them, make a mental note of where they are with all stops because after you catch it basically nearby only shows within 100m or so of your position.

I was able to get 50 candies fast because I had 40 silver pinaps saved up and 300 ultra balls. Out of silver pinaps already :(.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Do raid boss IVs affect catch rates at all? Anecdotally (and with a small sample size), I've done 6 Mewtwo raids and caught 4. The 2 I didn't catch had the highest CP by a noticeable margin, and I didn't catch them even though I had 15 and 16 balls for them, and 11 or 12 on the other 4 raids.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I have this side account I use for raids now and then. I haven't used it in weeks, last time was when Ray was first out. Now I fire it back up to help out with a raid. I'm waiting and the second Lillipup I click with it is shiny. Same thing with a Natu weeks before that, shiny on the first encounter. I know, rng and all, shouldn't read anything into this. But low level + inactive accounts returning seems to be a magic combo. Getting more than one shiny with less than 10 checks is something that could never happen with my main account.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this is a bug. But tried to buy storage space and it said +100. Only gave me 50 though

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Do raid boss IVs affect catch rates at all? Anecdotally (and with a small sample size), I've done 6 Mewtwo raids and caught 4. The 2 I didn't catch had the highest CP by a noticeable margin, and I didn't catch them even though I had 15 and 16 balls for them, and 11 or 12 on the other 4 raids.
I haven't heard that. As far as I know it's a 2% base catch rate for every 5* raid. Ex Raid is higher, though.

If you use a golden razz, have a psychic gold medal and hit it with an excellent curve throw, it should give you something like a 45-50% catch rate if I recall it correctly. Even at these rates, it's possible that you're just unlucky/lucky with the others if you don't use a berry + curveballs.

Not sure if this is a bug. But tried to buy storage space and it said +100. Only gave me 50 though
Yeah, it's been like that for weeks if not months now. Seems like something that would be easy enough to fix but oh well...

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Tomorrow's going to be my first Safari Zone. Never thought I'd actually go to one but Niantic decided to thrown us Canucks a ball. Will be nice to actually get the event spawns a their origin.

I wonder how busy it's all going to be. Can't even imagine how many people they're gonna stick on this island. I'd better start stocking up on balls and clearing storage space.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Here we go

Have you actually seen the data? I'm not believing some random guys "data" when I can't see prove.
They didn't specify which tracker they used but shinyrates.com did show Tauros' shiny rate dramatically lower before suddenly going back to normal after the outrage started. And honestly, the whole "we don't deliberately change shiny rates mid-event" thing is bullshit anyway, isn't it? They changed shiny Gligar's rate just two weeks ago.

Anyway, I'm glad I got my shiny Mewtwo during the botched raid hour because I've been sick ever since and haven't been able to play much.

Oct 25, 2017
Today's luck was good. 3 raids 3 catches.
The last one was shiny. I don't care for them too much but I was still glad to see it.
It's a relief knowing the catch is guaranteed.
IpuBEHZ.png

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Got both shiny Lillipup and Patrat. Just need 2 more Lillipup and 1 more Patrat.

Shiny hunt strategy: Don't catch any and just use the shadows on the radar to shiny check.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
They didn't specify which tracker they used but shinyrates.com did show Tauros' shiny rate dramatically lower before suddenly going back to normal after the outrage started. And honestly, the whole "we don't deliberately change shiny rates mid-event" thing is bullshit anyway, isn't it? They changed shiny Gligar's rate just two weeks ago.
I didn't want to reply because it seems there's no way changing your mind. But I just looked at shinyrates.com for the first time and THAT is the source for all the outrage? Ahahahahaha please stop

That looks like a complete butchering of statistics. They just seem to do shiny rate = amount of shinies / Pokemon species encountered. And they only do that with data from the last 24 hours leading to sample sizes that really can't differentiate between shiny rates. I mean, Bulbasaur's shiny rate sits at an impressive 1/2,786 right now. Did Niantic change that too? Stick to silphroad data, they know their basic statistics.

Or just take Rayquaza, the math has been done often enough in here. There are people getting the shiny in the second or third raid. Shinyrates would now say the shiny rate is 1/3. Another person needs 50 raids, the shiny rate in that case would be 1/50. Now, of course that's an extremely small sample but it shows how much the "shiny rate" can vary at 1/20.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Random to put it on a Tuesday though.are they going to do a separate raid hour on the Wednesday too?

Going to be a real shit show if whatever they have set up for this coming week doesn't go to plan as well.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Got both shiny Lillipup and Patrat. Just need 2 more Lillipup and 1 more Patrat.

Shiny hunt strategy: Don't catch any and just use the shadows on the radar to shiny check.
Wait, what?

Though the Pokestop spread vs spawnpoint density around here means things I catch are almost never on radar, this is the first I'm hearing of a distinction outside the encounter.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Still can't get any raids in because Mewtwo's too tough. Like I get that if everyone has perfect counters he's easier, but that's not really real-world viable with players you're meeting on Discord. We timed out on a seven person one last night and since he KOs so many Pokemon no one could revive all their dudes for a second go. Overall that's just led people to just catching the one for Dex purposes and then staying home (especially compared to Deoxys or the beasts from prior weeks when there were multiple raid groups all over the city from dawn to dusk).

Last week: "I'm going to do so many Mewtwo raids, will one box of passes be enough, or will I need three?"

This week: "Guess I have enough raid passes to evolve Klink because no one wants to waste time/passes/revives losing to Mewtwo again"

Raid hour being cancelled didn't help but maybe the one hour only thing in two weeks is enough to entice a large group then.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Teach them to power up better Pokemon. Unless they're lvl. <30 it shouldn't be an issue with 7 people.

Also reviving and hyper/max potions shouldn't take too long for the second round.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
How do I do that? I guess I could share those raid infographics in the Discord, or links to Poke Genie etc?
Your discord doesn't have an infographic pinned in the raid channel? That's the least the admins could do. People really don't know better and fight with Aggrons if you don't give them some easy to follow guidance.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't want to reply because it seems there's no way changing your mind. But I just looked at shinyrates.com for the first time and THAT is the source for all the outrage? Ahahahahaha please stop

That looks like a complete butchering of statistics. They just seem to do shiny rate = amount of shinies / Pokemon species encountered. And they only do that with data from the last 24 hours leading to sample sizes that really can't differentiate between shiny rates. I mean, Bulbasaur's shiny rate sits at an impressive 1/2,786 right now. Did Niantic change that too? Stick to silphroad data, they know their basic statistics.

Or just take Rayquaza, the math has been done often enough in here. There are people getting the shiny in the second or third raid. Shinyrates would now say the shiny rate is 1/3. Another person needs 50 raids, the shiny rate in that case would be 1/50. Now, of course that's an extremely small sample but it shows how much the "shiny rate" can vary at 1/20.
SMH. I'm sick and feel like shit, so this stupid argument is the last thing I want to do but since you're so insistent: One, I literally just said they didn't specify the tracker they used, I just used shinyrates.com as an example. There are other trackers. And two, shinyrates isn't trying to be TSR or even confirm which Pokemon have the standard 1/450 rate, it's there to give a quick look at any recent changes Niantic have made. Like when Niantic accidentally raised the shiny rates at the start of the Chicago Go Fest, turns off shinies after events, raised Gligar's shiny rate a day after they released it and yes, lowered the regional shiny rate earlier this week.

Look, if you want to sit on your high horse and criticise the strawman shiny hunter you've come up with, go ahead, but I think it's obnoxious. Niantic are the ones who build all their events around shinies, refuse to disclose the odds (even though eggs are lootboxes and Google/Apple require companies to disclose their odds) and refuse to add a mercy rule. I think it's perfectly understandable for players to complain or get burnt out when they don't get what Niantic told them is THE thing in that event. I don't really care that much about shinies (I will shiny check but I won't go out of my way to hunt shinies) but I sure as hell complained and have played the game a lot less since I spent all week hatching 10km eggs and didn't get a single Unown.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Niantic really should disclose odds, it's pretty gross that they don't and I don't know how they weaseled out of those regulations.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Finally had chance to get into town and group up for some Mewtwos, did three and my second ever was shiny lol. Was mainly happy it was a guaranteed catch and pinap'd thanks to era.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I can share infographs all I want, people don't care man. In the raids I've done I'm also mostly the only one using Giratina O's, a lot of people slept on him. I've had 2 or 3 people ask to trade them one but I don't have any left. Gonna raid in a car tomorrow and at least I can count on those people to have the right counters. But like I've said, this boss exposes how little people care about the counter aspect of the game. Everyone's obsessing about IV's, but counters? Nah lol

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Niantic really should disclose odds, it's pretty gross that they don't and I don't know how they weaseled out of those regulations.

My guess is because either;

a) The "loot box" itself (egg) is given to you for free as part of playing the game.

b) The infinite incubator means they can say you don't have to pay any money to open one.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I can share infographs all I want, people don't care man. In the raids I've done I'm also mostly the only one using Giratina O's, a lot of people slept on him. I've had 2 or 3 people ask to trade them one but I don't have any left. Gonna raid in a car tomorrow and at least I can count on those people to have the right counters. But like I've said, this boss exposes how little people care about the counter aspect of the game. Everyone's obsessing about IV's, but counters? Nah lol
You can power up bugs and still contribute to the raid. Pinsir, Scizor, Yanmega. Random dark types you see in raids and the wild: Sharpedo, Houndoom, Cacturne, Shiftry. Outside Gengar and Giratina as ghosts, there's Banette, Mismagius, even Raikou, Gardevoir, Alakazam with Shadow Ball are decent fodder.

For the loving God don't be this guy:

screenshot_20190920-1mpkc8.jpg

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
You can power up bugs and still contribute to the raid. Pinsir, Scizor, Yanmega. Random dark types you see in raids and the wild: Sharpedo, Houndoom, Cacturne, Shiftry. Outside Gengar and Giratina as ghosts, there's Banette, Mismagius, even Raikou, Gardevoir, Alakazam with Shadow Ball are decent fodder.

For the loving God don't be this guy:

screenshot_20190920-1mpkc8.jpg
Oh sweet lord

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Third Yanma I clicked on was shiny. Well that about wraps this event up.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Just got an ex raid for the 29th. Please don't be Deoxys please. PLEASE.

SMH. I'm sick and feel like shit, so this stupid argument is the last thing I want to do but since you're so insistent: One, I literally just said they didn't specify the tracker they used, I just used shinyrates.com as an example. There are other trackers. And two, shinyrates isn't trying to be TSR or even confirm which Pokemon have the standard 1/450 rate, it's there to give a quick look at any recent changes Niantic have made. Like when Niantic accidentally raised the shiny rates at the start of the Chicago Go Fest, turns off shinies after events, raised Gligar's shiny rate a day after they released it and yes, lowered the regional shiny rate earlier this week.

Look, if you want to sit on your high horse and criticise the strawman shiny hunter you've come up with, go ahead, but I think it's obnoxious. Niantic are the ones who build all their events around shinies, refuse to disclose the odds (even though eggs are lootboxes and Google/Apple require companies to disclose their odds) and refuse to add a mercy rule. I think it's perfectly understandable for players to complain or get burnt out when they don't get what Niantic told them is THE thing in that event. I don't really care that much about shinies (I will shiny check but I won't go out of my way to hunt shinies) but I sure as hell complained and have played the game a lot less since I spent all week hatching 10km eggs and didn't get a single Unown.
See, I don't care what the shiny rate is, I don't give a crap about them. I'm just tired of all the bitching when there's no proof. It actually triggers my inner nerd when statistics are butchered like that.

Addressing your one) okay, so they didn't use shinyrates. It's still unknown what they used, in other words: it's an useless source. Regarding your two) alright, but it's only relevant in common/boosted spawns. With just 970 Tauros regarded for example, making a distinction between 1/50 and 1/150 is anything but statistically well founded. Unless there are extreme cases (zero vs. 'too many' shinies). Sure, now you might say it's unlikely to appear right at time X but did anyone bother to check the data two days before day X as well? See, believe what you want but consider me sceptical when there's no proof.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Got in two lunch time raids finally, with groups of about 15 each. Felt good to not have to revive my entire box afterward.

Dreams of a shiny Mewtwo might be dead. Only this weekend to go and I'm normally too busy to go hard those days. If I can get five more in before the end of the event, that'd be fine (plus raid hour in two weeks).

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
>___> meanwhile mewtwo raids are so infrequent and no shiny lol. I did get a red rat though so there's that at least.