• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know how tough Cobalion will be? Hopefully not as difficult as Darkrai. 3/4 people raids would be perfect imo.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Cobalion as the next boss makes a lot of sense. Once all of the Swords of Justice are released, they can start planning a Keldeo event similar to the Regi event this weekend.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
demand for darkrai raids was below my expectations. best dark attacker in the game and raid groups were sparse. i got ultra box at the start and i still have 4 passes left. are people shiny hunting that hard?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Genuinely considering doing 0 Cobalion raids 🤣

I feel bad for the southern hemisphere players who will be suffering through Cobalion for their summer raids lmao

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
demand for darkrai raids was below my expectations. best dark attacker in the game and raid groups were sparse. i got ultra box at the start and i still have 4 passes left. are people shiny hunting that hard?
We did raid hour and that's it. He's too hard to try outside of that, and too hard to catch, and there's no shiny so we know he's coming back again so why not wait.

Darkrai made me realize that Niantic has a marginal utility problem. Sure Darkrai is the best attacker but I already have six dark Tyranitars so how much better really is a bunch of Darkrai? And if they keep pushing everything up to T6 where I need a huge group anyway, what does it matter?

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cobalion is the Suicine of this Gen. lol

Hell, it makes Aggron of all Pokemon look better. lol

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
We did raid hour and that's it. He's too hard to try outside of that, and too hard to catch, and there's no shiny so we know he's coming back again so why not wait.

Darkrai made me realize that Niantic has a marginal utility problem. Sure Darkrai is the best attacker but I already have six dark Tyranitars so how much better really is a bunch of Darkrai? And if they keep pushing everything up to T6 where I need a huge group anyway, what does it matter?

Well, Darkrai is much better than Tyranitar as a dark attacker. It'd be a big upgrade to the team, but yes I agree that T6 difficulty plus the lack of shiny makes it less desirable.

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like there is no way the research breakthrough for next month is going to be decent if they are taking this long to announce it

feel like often times it is announced way before now

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
It may look like it but they really don't have a problem with that. Hardcore raiders that have full teams maxed out already will care for each small DPS increase. Shiny hunters will care for each new shiny. Active, non-hardcore raiders will still look to spend their passes on some raids. And casual players will only crawl out to serious raiding when it's Mewtwo lol

The bigger problem are useless, non-shiny legendaries like Cobalion right now. Hard to see them selling lots of raid passes when that shit is staying 3 weeks, too. I'd bet they'll put up good boxes in the store soon, though. So it might be a good time to stock up on premium passes. So they'll technically still sell a lot with shit bosses lol

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i feel like there is no way the research breakthrough for next month is going to be decent if they are taking this long to announce it

Nah, usually the case to wait till the new month. This been trend of long time now. Esp for announcing the new T5 raids. Often they wait till literally they get put into eggs. lol It will be announced just before 1pm PST tomorrow.

Heck, it's unusual they announced the new T5 ahead of time haha

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019

lol

Should have checked the news before complaining. News got out around when you posted haha:

From November 1, 2019, at 1 p.m. PDT (GMT −7) to January 1, 2020, at 1 p.m. PST (GMT −8), the following Pokémon will be available as Research Breakthrough encounters: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Kyogre, Groudon!

I'm excited about finally being able to get the birds but although Groudon and Kyogre candy is useful, it's just too many Pokemon. If you could actually choose it'd be fine but I hate those huge RNG breakthroughs. Fingers crossed I get each of the birds before they disappear.

Last edited:

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I can finally finish this fucking 3 Excellent Throws in a row task.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Yeah, thinking about it, Kyogre and Groudon can actually fuck off from that box. But on the other hand, 2 months of birds would have been a hard sell for long time players as well.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad the birbs are there. I need them.

Absolutely 0 interest in Kyogre and Groudon though, woof. lol

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Make 3 in a row became a lot easier with those pokemon. Esp if you get a Groudon or Kyogre

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Was hoping for something new like Dialga/Palkia.

Oh well even if these are all old at least it's a chance of a shiny from the box.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Starting to think next year's raid days during summer will be Palkia/Dialga/Giratina-O since they're doing Regis this weekend and the Lake Trio are regional.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So Cobalion is November, will they go with the second of the cycle for December or give something "nicer" for the holidays?

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably both. What was it last December? Could also focus less on raids and just the Christmas ice event.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Starting to think next year's raid days during summer will be Palkia/Dialga/Giratina-O since they're doing Regis this weekend and the Lake Trio are regional.
Niantic probably has a big white board with everything figured out for next summer. I think that makes sense.

Ultra Bonus raid days with shiny Palkia/Dialga/Giratina-O with Shaymin (normal form) in special research. And then the Ultra Bonus unlock will have Sky Form in raids for a week with EX after.

They'll also have a Regigigas similar event for Keldeo with the Swords of Justice.

After all 3 of the Swords of Justice have been in raids, maybe they'll throw in shiny Heatran to space out time before continuing with Gen V legendaries.

Where does Arcues come in with everything, though. Manaphy they'll probably introduce if they ever have a breeding mechanic figured out.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Less than 24 hours to go.

8MNzCyO.png

The research quests added for the Colossal Discovery seem very much in line with Go Fest.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
Totally fine with Kyogre and Groudon (and the birbs) being back in the research breakthrough rotation. I need more Kyogre candies and my spouse doesn't have a Groudon at all.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
I honestly think that the lacklustre interest in Darkrai was due to it not having a shiny.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think that the lacklustre interest in Darkrai was due to it not having a shiny.
Plus it was a 'tier 6' raid, so people were generally less willing to gamble on enough people coming out and using competent attackers.

Any good research rewards?
The rewards won't be known until the event is live and people are claiming them. The tasks can be found in the network code early.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last time Groudon was in research I got it 6 weeks out of 8.

It's a cool Pokemon and all, but if I could just get and Arcticuno before it starts harassing me again that would be great.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Shadow Gible added to the game master lol

How rare is that one gonna be? Maybe it's the reward for beating Giovanni hahaha

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shadow Gible added to the game master lol

How rare is that one gonna be? Maybe it's the reward for beating Giovanni hahaha

Completed Pokédex, 200,000 Pokemon caught required, and it only shows up at one pokestop in the Himalayas at 2am on one specific date as a one time only opportunity.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Your best CP wise? Or do all your Darkrai only have 10/11 attack IV? If you got a Darkrai with 15/14/13 attack you can totally invest in that one, even if its CP are lower. Personally, I wouldn't invest in a 11 attack IV one tbh. But it also depends if you need another good Dark type attacker or if you've already got a good team. Darkrai will take some time to come back for sure, the shiny probably won't release before Halloween next year, so you'll definitely get some use out of your current Darkrai.
The next best I have is 13/10/12 so no luck on my Darkrais.
I have 2 lvl 40 and 2 lvl 30 dark move ttars so I think I'm good. Guess I'll wait until Darkrai comes back

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
The next best I have is 13/10/12 so no luck on my Darkrais.
I have 2 lvl 40 and 2 lvl 30 dark move ttars so I think I'm good. Guess I'll wait until Darkrai comes back
13/10/12 sounds good enough if you want to level one up tbh. Defense isn't that important as Darkrai is more on the glass cannon side with it's rather low def/hp.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
So what's everyone's results from the Halloween event? I got:
5x shinies (Sneasel #2, Sneasel #3, Rattata #3, Shuppet and Cyndaquil)
3x 100%'s (Roselia, Sneasel and Poochyena)

Overall, getting double hatch/catch/transfer candy so close to the Gen 5 release made it a lot of fun, not to mention making Golett widely available (even if it was a hard task), boosting Litwick spawns (even if I would've liked them to be more frequent), bringing back the Spiritomb special research and releasing Darkrai (even if T6's are pretty demoralising).

Biggest disappointment is probably the lack of the Alolan Marowak raid day. I was hoping they simply delayed it because of Japan's CD redo but the complete lack of anything since their accidental announcement makes it seem like they cancelled it entirely.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So what's everyone's results from the Halloween event? I got:
5x shinies (Sneasel #2, Sneasel #3, Rattata #3, Shuppet and Cyndaquil)
3x 100%'s (Roselia, Sneasel and Poochyena)

Overall, getting double hatch/catch/transfer candy so close to the Gen 5 release made it a lot of fun, not to mention making Golett widely available (even if it was a hard task), boosting Litwick spawns (even if I would've liked them to be more frequent), bringing back the Spiritomb special research and releasing Darkrai (even if T6's are pretty demoralising).

Biggest disappointment is probably the lack of the Alolan Marowak raid day. I was hoping they simply delayed it because of Japan's CD redo but the complete lack of anything since their accidental announcement makes it seem like they cancelled it entirely.
A shiny Shuppet, a shiny Gastly, and a shiny Houndour. That's the best streak of shinies I've ever had.

Didn't get enough Litwicks to evolve but I haven't lucked into a Unova stone yet so whatever. I have two Golett tasks that I can't seem to beat (got pretty close yesterday on a Tyranitar raid but threw the last ball just a smidge early and got the great, then caught him).

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
The Niantic twitter saying it isn't happening didn't give me much hope. Might still happen on the 23rd/24th if we're lucky. This weekend is Regigigas and then we have CD two weeks later. The week between I'm guessing they'll drop Team Rocket, so I don't see a raid day then.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
A shiny Shuppet, a shiny Gastly, and a shiny Houndour. That's the best streak of shinies I've ever had.

Didn't get enough Litwicks to evolve but I haven't lucked into a Unova stone yet so whatever. I have two Golett tasks that I can't seem to beat (got pretty close yesterday on a Tyranitar raid but threw the last ball just a smidge early and got the great, then caught him).
Use this trick to cheat them:

A few people in my community finally managed to finish their tasks thanks to it.

The Niantic twitter saying it isn't happening didn't give me much hope. Might still happen on the 23rd/24th if we're lucky. This weekend is Regigigas and then we have CD two weeks later. The week between I'm guessing they'll drop Team Rocket, so I don't see a raid day then.
Hopefully but I wouldn't be surprised if it just gets delayed to Halloween next year or something.

Gafftron

Dec 11, 2017
Sneasel, Bonsly, and Bronzor. I was good with eggs and research but couldn't find any wild shinies this time.

Got a small army of 6 solid litwick/chandelure with 2 of them being lucky and a bunch more for trades. So no complaints on that