• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
I mean, you guys have to consider more rural places. The rocket special research can be incredibly time intensive if you have a limited amount of Pokestops. In our town we have plenty and I sometimes still struggle to find rocket stops. Also took me ages to find Arlo today lol

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty bad luck.. Just to make sure... You are staying where you raid, right? Like your not in a car trying to catch it?

Yep, tempting as it is to keep moving because it's freezing atm.

Just going to write it off as one of them things. Managed to catch a Snivvy and Oshawott so not a complete waste

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, tempting as it is to keep moving because it's freezing atm.

Just going to write it off as one of them things. Managed to catch a Snivvy and Oshawott so not a complete waste
Sorry, meant are you in a car that is moving away from that raid?

If so, you are speed locked. It will always run. This includes shinies too

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Guess which guy spent an hour fighting grunts for 3/6 to then get distracted and jump into a leader battle without claiming the rewards first 🤡
8bc6753acbc6ba4cc233e0fb9bac2040.gif

Luckily it was only Cliff, was even gonna buy a radar but they're gone from the store Niantic please

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Got my shadow Articuno and yeah, it's pretty shit. I'm gonna hold on to it because it's somewhat special but if I ever run into serious space issues, it's gone.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, meant are you in a car that is moving away from that raid?

If so, you are speed locked. It will always run. This includes shinies too
Uh, is that a super recent change? Because in the past (as of shiny Mewtwo), that has absolutely not been a thing. As long as you are in the vicinity when the raid starts, you've been able to leave the area completely. If you're somehow booted out of the raid or your app crashes, then yeah you're screwed unless you go back to the gym. Otherwise you're OK. For Mewtwo I ran all over the place and was not once in the same location as the raid when I caught them, including my shiny.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I've been playing since launch and I don't think i can beat these leaders.

I'm at a guy who has Scyther, Magnezone, and I forget the last one. Anyone know the best team for him?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Uh, is that a super recent change? Because in the past (as of shiny Mewtwo), that has absolutely not been a thing. As long as you are in the vicinity when the raid starts, you've been able to leave the area completely. If you're somehow booted out of the raid or your app crashes, then yeah you're screwed unless you go back to the gym. Otherwise you're OK. For Mewtwo I ran all over the place and was not once in the same location as the raid when I caught them, including my shiny.

He meant if you're traveling over a certain speed the game will have you "speed-locked" for a while, making you unable to actually catch anything. So if you're in a car driving somewhere and trying to catch something whilst on the move, you're probably going to have a bad time until you stop for it to wear off.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He meant if you're traveling over a certain speed the game will have you "speed-locked" for a while, making you unable to actually catch anything. So if you're in a car driving somewhere and trying to catch something whilst on the move, you're probably going to have a bad time until you stop for it to wear off.
Oh yeah. That's true enough.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Man, I've been playing since launch and I don't think i can beat these leaders.

I'm at a guy who has Scyther, Magnezone, and I forget the last one. Anyone know the best team for him?
Arlo.

My team is Blaziken (Fire Spin / Blast Burn + Blaze Kick), Swampert (Mud Shot / Earthquake), Melmetal (Thunder Shock / Rock Slide)

Melmetal (Thunder Shock / Rock Slide) or Blaziken (Fire Spin / Blaze Kick) is good versus Scyther.
Swampert (Mud Shot / Earthquake) is good versus Magnezone.

And then depending on what's last, Melmetal v. Charizard or Dragonite, or Blaziken (Fire Spin / Blast Burn) v. Scizor

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

That supereffective event is pretty cool, featured Pokémon are useful in the Rocket battles. Terrakion is also coming but even better is the friend fest:

Features
  • Encounter family-themed Pokémon—such as Nidoran♀, Nidoran♂, their Evolutions, and more—in the wild and in research tasks.
Bonuses
  • 1/2 Stardust trade cost
  • You can make two special trades per day
  • Attack boost when you raid with friends
Nice events and bonuses.

Last edited:

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
More TMs to throw away, yay. The friendship bonuses are nice at least, plus I need some shiny Nidos.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Arlo.

My team is Blaziken (Fire Spin / Blast Burn + Blaze Kick), Swampert (Mud Shot / Earthquake), Melmetal (Thunder Shock / Rock Slide)

Melmetal (Thunder Shock / Rock Slide) or Blaziken (Fire Spin / Blaze Kick) is good versus Scyther.
Swampert (Mud Shot / Earthquake) is good versus Magnezone.

And then depending on what's last, Melmetal v. Charizard or Dragonite, or Blaziken (Fire Spin / Blast Burn) v. Scizor
What CP is your Blaziken?? My dude's getting taken out in 3 hits.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, yeah. Car speed lock above a certain speed is a hell of a thing, and been around since near the beginning. Most people should realize that you shouldn't really drive and play with raids. Esp if you want to catch it. :P

Also, lv 40 players in US, and perhaps elsewhere can now submit! And lv 40 players everywhere can review! Yay

Zaphod79

Nov 9, 2017
Looks like Rhydon might be. Not sure of the details but you're probably looking at a fully leveled up team(s) with weather boost.

Its really really close - maxed Kyogres in rain do it - but only about 15% of the time
Adding a friend to just stand in the raid and give you a friendship bonus bumps that up to about 30%

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Did a bunch of Rocket Grunts yesterday only to realize that I hadn't made a scanner because I wasn't collecting shards. I think the culprit is that my bag was full and these shards take up inventory space which is absolute BS.

EDIT: Also, why is Giovanni such a pain in the ass to get to with so many hoops. Why can't Rocket Admins/Giovanni just be a feature you can do once a day (and buy a scanner for 100 coins) just like a raid? Imagine if you had to go through five steps of research each time you needed to do a raid? Imagine how bad this will be when they add Team Magma/Plasma/etc bosses and they all have monthly researches to juggle.

Last edited:

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Did a bunch of Rocket Grunts yesterday only to realize that I hadn't made a scanner because I wasn't collecting shards. I think the culprit is that my bag was full and these shards take up inventory space which is absolute BS.

EDIT: Also, why is Giovanni such a pain in the ass to get to with so many hoops. Why can't Rocket Admins/Giovanni just be a feature you can do once a day (and buy a scanner for 100 coins) just like a raid? Imagine if you had to go through five steps of research each time you needed to do a raid? Imagine how bad this will be when they add Team Magma/Plasma/etc bosses and they all have monthly researches to juggle.
It didn't use to require inventory space. That was a "bug" that they cheerfully announced was "fixed" a few days ago.

I don't mind Giovanni being a special thing that can only be done monthly. It's a nice change of pace from everything else in the game being commoditized to the ground.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Yeah - I'd hold back on the praise until we find out what the replacement is - for all we know it could be 5 months of flower crown Pikachu :-)
I've always thought the Regis sucked hard, it can hardly be worse than Regigi-

My money is still on Darkrai as it'd explain why they gave it T6 stats. They can give it a new move like Dark Pulse to make it seem special.
Um, well, yeah, that would honestly be worse than Regigigas.

They should get some new mythicals or however they're labeled in. Arceus, Manaphy, etc. It's time to release then.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Phione is going to be an egg hatch, right? How will they implement that? Put it in the 100km reward pool? Research for an egg reward? Research breakthrough boxes give eggs, 2% chance it's a Phione and the rest are Flower Crown Eevees?

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019

You're right about the inventory space but what the hell is up with the rest? You can't be serious. You're basically crying about getting free monthly content.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You're right about the inventory space but what the hell is up with the rest? You can't be serious. You're basically crying about getting free monthly content.
It's all so convoluted (which combined with other aspects of the game like... bag space) is just whatever.

So Giovanni is a "permanent" content addition to the game. Let's compare to the other permanent content additions:

-Research tasks: you get one at every Pokestop, only "have" to complete one per day, and are extremely flexible (can ditch ones you don't want without penalty, can stack the rewards, can hold on to them for as long as you like, etc). Barring FC Eevee, you get a great weekly reward for playing just a little a day

-Raids: a wide variety of difficulties which are advertised up front (it says if you're doing a T5 instead of a T2, versus hey you don't know if this Grunt is packing Ratattas or Snorlaxes, good luck!) that you can jump in at any time, get to do one a day or more for free, etc. There is some BS here too (why can't you organize these in game?!) but are pretty straight forward

-Giovanni: can only be completed monthly (not necessarily a problem), and requires like 30 Rocket Grunts and 3 Admin fights and a bunch of stardust and revives and potions to get to. I haven't finished it but the reward is one of the birds right? So the reward is the same as the research breakthrough box with difficulty/resources required at least as high as a raid, but with a ton more involved to get to it.

To be clear: I like this content on paper but feel it needs a lot of tweaking. Maybe start with the inventory space thing? Make the scanner a single item that you charge by beating grunts and not six separate slots you need free?

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
It didn't use to require inventory space. That was a "bug" that they cheerfully announced was "fixed" a few days ago.

I don't mind Giovanni being a special thing that can only be done monthly. It's a nice change of pace from everything else in the game being commoditized to the ground.
I don't mind him being a monthly thing but the special research is a pretty shit grind.

First you need to beat 3 grunts. Ok. Then if you haven't, for some reason, saved up 16 shadow Pokemon, you have to beat another 16 grunts/leaders to get them (then enjoy wasting your stardust on them). Next you've got another 6 grunts. Oh and we're not done there, we've gotta get another two radars so that's 12 more grunts (or 18 if you prematurely use your rocket radar like one of my friends did lol). And what do you get for all that effort? Well, Giovanni eventually but up until then, a few thousand experience (which means nothing even for new players), a few thousand stardust, a few revives, some pinap berries and so on.

It doesn't feel fun or rewarding like most of the other special research have been, it kinda just feels like work, especially since the number of rocket stops have been heavily nerfed, presumably because the leaders, decoys and Giovanni are blocking them from a lot of stops.

Um, well, yeah, that would honestly be worse than Regigigas.

They should get some new mythicals or however they're labeled in. Arceus, Manaphy, etc. It's time to release then.
Except Manaphy, Phione and Shaymin are givens for special research next year, potentially one for each GoFest.

Arceus will probably be an EX Raid boss though, I'm guessing after Darkrai.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
It's all so convoluted (which combined with other aspects of the game like... bag space) is just whatever.

So Giovanni is a "permanent" content addition to the game. Let's compare to the other permanent content additions:

-Research tasks: you get one at every Pokestop, only "have" to complete one per day, and are extremely flexible (can ditch ones you don't want without penalty, can stack the rewards, can hold on to them for as long as you like, etc). Barring FC Eevee, you get a great weekly reward for playing just a little a day

-Raids: a wide variety of difficulties which are advertised up front (it says if you're doing a T5 instead of a T2, versus hey you don't know if this Grunt is packing Ratattas or Snorlaxes, good luck!) that you can jump in at any time, get to do one a day or more for free, etc. There is some BS here too (why can't you organize these in game?!) but are pretty straight forward

-Giovanni: can only be completed monthly (not necessarily a problem), and requires like 30 Rocket Grunts and 3 Admin fights and a bunch of stardust and revives and potions to get to. I haven't finished it but the reward is one of the birds right? So the reward is the same as the research breakthrough box with difficulty/resources required at least as high as a raid, but with a ton more involved to get to it.

To be clear: I like this content on paper but feel it needs a lot of tweaking. Maybe start with the inventory space thing? Make the scanner a single item that you charge by beating grunts and not six separate slots you need free?
Yes, it's nonsense that the radar/components take up bag space. And I mean, yeah, the rewards are pretty shit. I still enjoyed it. I can understand that it feels like work if you grind it out/complete it as quick as possible but you have plenty of time to complete it. Squeezing in a few grunts/leaders every now and then isn't that terrible. The only thing that really sucked in the special research was that purifying 15 Pokemon, that's ass.

Except Manaphy, Phione and Shaymin are givens for special research next year, potentially one for each GoFest.

Arceus will probably be an EX Raid boss though, I'm guessing after Darkrai.
"Are givens"

You, sir, make a lot of big talk assumptions.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
If they made the mon available from leaders rarer/ newer they'd feel much less like busywork to get to the reward, but I guess more players care about shiny Meowth than Unova starters or something.

Nerfing the stops is pretty bad for this time of year, there's little chance I'd do anything other than drive between rocket stops rn

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He means that Pokestops with a leader (and Giovanni?) get blocked from spawning regular grunts. It's definitely noticeable.
I noticed that too, but how would that really be nerfing the stops? Seems like a little exaggeration.

Best thing is if you are lv 40, try to add new stops to your community.
I'll update the 2nd post of the Ot to give tips on what to submit/etc later on

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Hardly an exaggeration to say the stops have been nerfed, a week ago grunts were everywhere and now you can be sat with 30 visible and none are active. That's a nerf.