• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I don't feel super compelled to really hunt hard for shiny Tentacool. It's probably not going anywhere and because it's a water type it'll always be fairly common.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
The T3/T4 Rare Candy buff is actually pretty nice if you want to solo/duo your Rare Candy grind.
That buff is great. The T5 Rare Candy nerf, on the other hand, is unspeakably dumb. It's as if even Niantic are dumping on poor old useless Cobalion.

Anyway, is it just me or does it seem like there's more Torchic and Teddiursa spawns than Tentacool's? It was probably just my bad luck but man, it sucks how much they've watered down interesting event spawns.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
having such a wide raid pool is so junk. i have trouble finding a raid boss i want to do at a location that's relevent (ie ex, or a gym i'm trying to get gold at).

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Anyway, is it just me or does it seem like there's more Torchic and Teddiursa spawns than Tentacool's? It was probably just my bad luck but man, it sucks how much they've watered down interesting event spawns.
I mean, it makes sense because Tentacool is an absolute shit fit for super effective week. But yeah, they should have just gone with releasing the Teddiursa shiny if that has boosted spawns and is somewhat useful.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
As a primarily solo player, I love super effective week. Boosted rare candies and guaranteed TMs. Yes please.

Orzix

Oct 30, 2017
Is there a thread for friend code or we can put it here ? Don't know much people who play anymore and need some new friends for tasks. I'll send gift too don't worry haha

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
The "more potions and revives" for this week was just bullshit, right? Not that I'm complaining, I'm already swimming in the stuff but there really is no increase in their drop rates.

And after playing for a longer time today, spawns really suck. Machop and Swinup are still pretty rare (maybe it's good with cloudy/sunny weather) and I only see Rhyhorn, Murkrow and Tentacool.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
2018 CD moves are returning

Praise allah

Although no boosted spawns for 2018 CD Pokemon. First half of 2019 on Saturday, second half on Sunday. The 2018 Pokemon will be in raids though. Just wondering if CD moves will be TM-able or if you need to do a raid for surf Pikachu.

Last edited:

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
I must say it's still a bit shit for returning players that there are no boosted spawns for 2018 Pokemon. I've collected candy for Metagross and Tyranitar since 2 or 3 months in the hope of an eventual re-run and I've only enough candy for 3 or 4 each. So, if you've been one of the guys complaining about hatching too many Beldum/Larvitar, be the good guy and evolve a few more to trade in your community.

They should have just had a 18 day and 19 day. The Sunday CD re-run has Mudkip, Ralts, Trapinch, Turtwig, and Chimchar. Doesn't really sound worth it tbh. We just had them and Mudkip and Ralts are the only candy worth getting really.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
It's really lame that they're obviously not permanently unlocking the old CD moves.

As a primarily solo player, I love super effective week. Boosted rare candies and guaranteed TMs. Yes please.
It's not clear that the increased rare candy for T3 and T4 raids is tied to the event, since that went live several days ago and Niantic hasn't addressed the changes to those and T5 raids at all.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
I have 6 Beldum I want to evolve on my secondary account, but only 192 candy. :/ Only 12 rare candy, too, at the moment. Someone said they got 15 rare candy from a T3 raid, so I guess I'll try to grind out some raids.

Though, contrary-wise, I have over 1000 beldum candy on my primary account.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the community weekend is a disappointment for me. I already played all the CDs this year, so I was really hoping for one of the two days to focus on 2018 CDs. Locking them behind raids and eggs means I'm just not going to bother, the RNG in this game does not make it worth it.

As things are, I've got a bunch of Pokemon lined up to evolve to get their CD moves and I guess I might do the Saturday 3hr window to farm some more Bagon candy but that's kinda it. The only thing Sunday has going for it is Mudkip but I've got more than enough Mudkip candy already (there's also Ralts but you'd want to wait till after the weekend to evolve it because Synchronoise is worse than Dazzling Gleam and Psychic).

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I only ever did the Turtwig and Trapinch CDs, so this CD weekend is good for me. I don't even have the final evolutions of some of these Pokemon. But...
I was really hoping for one of the two days to focus on 2018 CDs. Locking them behind raids and eggs means I'm just not going to bother, the RNG in this game does not make it worth it.
...this is still disappointing. I'll play a lot but I won't get much from 2018.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I have 6 Beldum I want to evolve on my secondary account, but only 192 candy. :/ Only 12 rare candy, too, at the moment. Someone said they got 15 rare candy from a T3 raid, so I guess I'll try to grind out some raids.

Though, contrary-wise, I have over 1000 beldum candy on my primary account.
So evolve them on your primary and trade them to the second one...

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
There'll be another Rocket takeover on Sunday with some fitting field research. Sounds good!

In other news, people in my local discord group bragging about catching 100 IV Pokemon by using an IV scanner must be the lamest thing ever.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I'm pumped about the December CD since I missed Bagon the first time around. I do wish they had dedicated one of the days to 2018's though.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
December CD is great news. Just what I was hoping for, focusing mainly on 2019 but allowing 2018 CD moves to be earned.
Btw: You can do the 2018 raids/eggs if you try to get some better 2018 pokemon.

lz492c3561041.png

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
December CD is great news. Just what I was hoping for, focusing mainly on 2019 but allowing 2018 CD moves to be earned.
Btw: You can do the 2018 raids/eggs if you try to get some better 2018 pokemon.
Out of curiosity, why were you hoping for it to focus mainly on 2019? If I look at the Sunday lineup, they should have really just given new/returning players more chances at 2018 candy.

Or well, just add Beldum, Dratini and Larvitar to the spawns for the whole weekend really. The others spawn frequently enough, anyway.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, why were you hoping for it to focus mainly on 2019? If I look at the Sunday lineup, they should have really just given new/returning players more chances at 2018 candy.

Or well, just add Beldum, Dratini and Larvitar to the spawns for the whole weekend really. The others spawn frequently enough, anyway.
Well, not that I wouldn't want it to have more 2018 pokemon. More Larvitar always great. But, focusing just on the 2019 mons (for the spawns) means a little "less" chaotic and easier to focus on getting this years. For me personally, I didn't get to play on a few of the CD cause of my back and other adult stuff I had to do. Turtwig for example I completely missed.

I would have been happy with a full day for 2018 pokemon as well, more of a personal presence cause it helps fill in the 2019 gap for me.

I have a hundo purfied Larvitar, def looking forward to getting it's CD move.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Well, not that I wouldn't want it to have more 2018 pokemon. More Larvitar always great. But, focusing just on the 2019 mons (for the spawns) means a little "less" chaotic and easier to focus on getting this years. For me personally, I didn't get to play on a few of the CD cause of my back and other adult stuff I had to do. Turtwig for example I completely missed.

I would have been happy with a full day for 2018 pokemon as well, more of a personal presence cause it helps fill in the 2019 gap for me.

I have a hundo purfied Larvitar, def looking forward to getting it's CD move.
Oh okay. I didn't play the first 5 CDs this year, so Saturday is great for me. Sunday is looking pretty bad, though. Swampert and Ralts candy are the only worthwhile there.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Metagross is fine but unexciting unless you need more Terrakion fodder.

I'd go for Torchic, Mudkip and Swinub if you're low on candy. Also Treecko, Ralts, Larvitar, Bagon, Beldum, Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Mareep since we're not sure how they're going to handle Mega Evos in about a year. It's why I keep catching Sableyes and Mawiles too.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
What are you looking for? PVP or raids? Which CD have you done already?

Regardless of any of your answers, evolve as many Metagross as possible. If you don't need them, people will always be happy to trade.
Raids and Rocket. Don't take into account the days I already did.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Raids and Rocket. Don't take into account the days I already did.
Hard to give solid advice then.

Mamoswine is and will be a beast in raids in the future and Swampert is great for trainer battles. Salamence and Blaziken are also a great option, although we have Rayqauza and soon Reshiram outshine them. For last year, Tyranitar and Metagross are great for both raids and Rocket battles. That's about it.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Every once in a while I'm reminded just how fucking terrible the TM system is. Alakazam has four charge moves. Took me 11 fucking TMs before I got the one I wanted.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Did you give it a second move first? If you're swimming in dust, it helps with probability at least.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I did that with Aerodactyl even though a second move isn't very useful. It has five (!) charge moves.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Does Rocket Grunts/Bosses follow PVP rules?

Like for Blaziken: is it better to have counter + Blaze Kick or counter + Blast Burn?

So annoying. :/

I spent 15 TMs on my Swampert trying to get Muddy Water, and, in the end, just settled on Earthquake. Muddy Water is still in its move pool, isn't it?

It is. ...Speaking of which? Is it better to have Muddy Water or Surf?

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Does Rocket Grunts/Bosses follow PVP rules?

Like for Blaziken: is it better to have counter + Blaze Kick or counter + Blast Burn?
PvP but against AI (Rockets or training), there's a 3-ish second window immediately after every Pokemon change or charge attack where the AI won't attack back. This means that some Pokemon, like Swampert (Mud Shot/Hydro Cannon), can charge up so quickly they'll only get hit once or twice between each charge attack. As a result, I'm pretty sure Counter/Blaze Kick is the better Blaziken moveset, since it has a shorter charge time.

And I'm pretty sure Muddy Water is better than Surf for PvP, though it's a pretty massive downgrade from Hydro Cannon. If you don't have any HC Swampert's then make sure you evolve some during the Community Weekend next month.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
PvP but against AI (Rockets or training), there's a 3-ish second window immediately after every Pokemon change or charge attack where the AI won't attack back. This means that some Pokemon, like Swampert (Mud Shot/Hydro Cannon), can charge up so quickly they'll only get hit once or twice between each charge attack. As a result, I'm pretty sure Counter/Blaze Kick is the better Blaziken moveset, since it has a shorter charge time.

And I'm pretty sure Muddy Water is better than Surf for PvP, though it's a pretty massive downgrade from Hydro Cannon. If you don't have any HC Swampert's then make sure you evolve some during the Community Weekend next month.

I do have a hundo Swampert with Mudshot + Muddy Water (though I realize I have 96% Swampert just now) - is there that big a difference between a Hundo vs. 96%?

I wish you could evolve people quicker than tapping evolve 100 times.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I do have a hundo Swampert with Mudshot + Muddy Water (though I realize I have 96% Swampert just now) - is there that big a difference between a Hundo vs. 96%?

I wish you could evolve people quicker than tapping evolve 100 times.
Wait, you got a hundo Swampert and you evolved it immediately? Ahhh, you'll be kicking yourself for that. Next time if you get a good starter/pseudo legendary (like Beldum, Larvitar, Bagon, etc), save them and evolve them during the community day/weekend windows. Muddy Water and Surf are trash compared to Hydro Cannon.

As for the hundo vs 96%, nah there's barely any difference. What's important is how much you've powered them up (where the dot is on the curve) and their moves.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you got a hundo Swampert and you evolved it immediately? Ahhh, you'll be kicking yourself for that. Next time if you get a good starter/pseudo legendary (like Beldum, Larvitar, Bagon, etc), save them and evolve them during the community day/weekend windows. Muddy Water and Surf are trash compared to Hydro Cannon.

As for the hundo vs 96%, nah there's barely any difference. What's important is how much you've powered them up (where the dot is on the curve) and their moves.
Yeah this was like 2.5 years ago when I wasn't really playing seriously. I know I should have saved it!

Still no way to mass power up my Pokemon rather than tapping like 100 times, right?

I have a hundo Treecko that I am saving for this event