• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
I think this is the first time I've not tried avoiding 7km eggs in over a year.
Did you get lucky with your Darumaka or did you need to hatch a ton? I'm 5 eggs in and I got two Shukle, a Wurmple, a Magikarp and a Magby. Not really encouraging to hatch more of these. But I guess I'll keep incubating them until the event is over simply for the reason I have a decent chance to get a Darumaka vs an abysmal chance to get Gible/Deino/Litwick/Axew. The only eggs I like to hatch are the 10 km adventure sync ones because I can use pretty much all of those Pokemons' candy.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Did you get lucky with your Darumaka or did you need to hatch a ton? I'm 5 eggs in and I got two Shukle, a Wurmple, a Magikarp and a Magby. Not really encouraging to hatch more of these. But I guess I'll keep incubating them until the event is over simply for the reason I have a decent chance to get a Darumaka vs an abysmal chance to get Gible/Deino/Litwick/Axew. The only eggs I like to hatch are the 10 km adventure sync ones because I can use pretty much all of those Pokemons' candy.

I got one on the 2nd 7km hatch, 17 candies with it. You only need 50 to evolve.

I've hatched 7 so I'm statistically less lucky than average, hatch rate is 25% according to silph.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
I got one on the 2nd 7km hatch, 17 candies with it. You only need 50 to evolve.

I've hatched 7 so I'm statistically less lucky than average, hatch rate is 25% according to silph.
Getting one with the 2nd hatch sounds amazing!

Silphroad must have updated their data set by now, though. The website says 13.4% for Darumaka at the moment. I'd assume each of the Pokemon would have the same chance of slightly less than 1/7 with Riolu having a wild card chance of 1% or something, so you'd be statistically perfect with 1 out of 7. I hope I get mine within the next 2 hatches as well.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Getting one with the 2nd hatch sounds amazing!

Silphroad must have updated their data set by now, though. The website says 13.4% for Darumaka at the moment. I'd assume each of the Pokemon would have the same chance of slightly less than 1/7 with Riolu having a wild card chance of 1% or something, so you'd be statistically perfect with 1 out of 7. I hope I get mine within the next 2 hatches as well.

Ah, oh well. I'll keep hatching away.

I have like 130 x3 uses incubators from buying raid pass bundles. As soon as I hatch what I need I stop using the incubators, so I should have plenty.

It's the 10km eggs with 1% chance of hatching that enrage me.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind hatching those Wurmples if they had a higher chance of being shiny, but no. Luckily I bought that box for the raid passes.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i need three friends for that mission so i will send out some friend requests at random. those who accept will receive a gift.

please clap.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
I know people have complained about random lucky trades and the egg pool but nobody seems to do so about the chance to become lucky friends with someone. That's supposed to be boosted too and here I am with 16 best friends and daily interactions and still not a single lucky friend.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I know people have complained about random lucky trades and the egg pool but nobody seems to do so about the chance to become lucky friends with someone. That's supposed to be boosted too and here I am with 16 best friends and daily interactions and still not a single lucky friend.
I've been doing 20+ interactions with different best friends every day since the event started and still no lucky friend.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I need some general pointers on how to beat Giovanni. Do I need to just waste all my stardust powering up counters?

Also, aren't these Rocket admins/Giovanni maybe too difficult? I'm the only person in my playgroup that even attempts Giovanni or the Admins because you're going to wipe at least once on each Admin just guessing what they have in their party, and probably multiple times on Giovanni, and there's no good (reliable) way to get revives. My wife and daughter both have boxes filled with over 50% fainted mons and usually have to skip harder raids because they can't heal before or after. I don't get the point of having content that is so difficult and such a drain on resources (for what is a fairly weak reward in comparison to the other game systems), especially if your playerbase isn't going to interact with it.

Did they nerf the amount of revives a raid would give? In the summer during Mewtwo/Ray, I usually got enough revives to cover my losses, but since probably the Unova swords of justice started I usually don't get any revives at all (mostly hyper potions).

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Have gotten one lucky friend, actually on the very first interaction with a best friend for the event. Nothing since then.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
1x Foongus
1x Magby
2x Shuckle
1x Vulpix
2x Wurmple

My 8th Timburr was a 15/13/14, so that's nice. Now to slowly amass the candy to evolve it (unless a better candidate arrives or I end up being able to trade and get a good one).

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I need some general pointers on how to beat Giovanni. Do I need to just waste all my stardust powering up counters?

Also, aren't these Rocket admins/Giovanni maybe too difficult? I'm the only person in my playgroup that even attempts Giovanni or the Admins because you're going to wipe at least once on each Admin just guessing what they have in their party, and probably multiple times on Giovanni, and there's no good (reliable) way to get revives. My wife and daughter both have boxes filled with over 50% fainted mons and usually have to skip harder raids because they can't heal before or after. I don't get the point of having content that is so difficult and such a drain on resources (for what is a fairly weak reward in comparison to the other game systems), especially if your playerbase isn't going to interact with it.

Did they nerf the amount of revives a raid would give? In the summer during Mewtwo/Ray, I usually got enough revives to cover my losses, but since probably the Unova swords of justice started I usually don't get any revives at all (mostly hyper potions).

I feel like i'm definitely seeing less Revives/Max Revives in general.
The Admins are way too hard as it is, especially jumping up from the Grunts. I can't even imagine how hard Giovanni would be.

Oct 25, 2017

I've had great success with my lvl 30 Rock Slide Melmetal vs the admins and Giovanni. He can usually take out the first two pokemon and have enough health to be swapped out if he can't sweep them all. Make sure you're taking advantage of the AI attack delay after you switch or use a charge attack. If you have enough energy and your charge move builds up fast enough you can lock them out of attacking for a while. You can practice this for no item cost vs the team leaders.

Open gifts to get more stuff and try to get the right counters
Most of my Pokemon are lvl 30 and the Rocket stuff gives me no trouble even if I occasionally have to use neutral damage.
It's the attack delay that really helps.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've had great success with my lvl 30 Rock Slide Melmetal vs the admins and Giovanni. He can usually take out the first two pokemon and have enough health to be swapped out if he can't sweep them all. Make sure you're taking advantage of the AI attack delay after you switch or use a charge attack. If you have enough energy and your charge move builds up fast enough you can lock them out of attacking for a while. You can practice this for no item cost vs the team leaders.

Open gifts to get more stuff and try to get the right counters
Most of my Pokemon are lvl 30 and the Rocket stuff gives me no trouble even if I occasionally have to use neutral damage.
It's the attack delay that really helps.
I haven't tried Melmetal yet, I'll try him. I've found that if you don't resist the attack, you will be KO'd before filling half a charged attack.

I was battling Giovanni this morning and he had Persian and Kangaskhan. After a few wipes I figured out that they both knew fighting type fast moves I guess (would be helpful if there was any info on screen about move type or effectiveness!) and were wiping out my Rock/Steel types (guess Melmetal would have eaten it too). By the time I switched to Mewtwos (which did fine enough but didn't have quite the correct team comp for Moltres) I was out of Revives and had to give up.

Oct 25, 2017
I was battling Giovanni this morning and he had Persian and Kangaskhan.

Lucario or Poliwrath with Power up Punch and Aura Sphere / Dynamic Punch would have cleaned those two up easy
PUP charges so fast they'd only get a couple hits in between charge attacks and your damage goes up regardless

The admins and boss are meant to be higher level stuff. You are going to need to spend some resources.
Past lvl 30 is not necessary I think, if you have the right counters.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Lucario or Poliwrath with Power up Punch and Aura Sphere / Dynamic Punch would have cleaned those two up easy
PUP charges so fast they'd only get a couple hits in between charge attacks and your damage goes up regardless

The admins and boss are meant to be higher level stuff. You are going to need to spend some resources.
Past lvl 30 is not necessary I think, if you have the right counters.
I have a Lucario but he's basically fresh from an egg (level 20, I think?). I have enough candy to get him to about level 30, so I'll start with him. Normal types are generally the headache-iest of Rocket stops anyway, so he should be a good start.

Edit: Lucario has 5 effing charge moves?! There's no way I can TM a good one on to him lol

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Lucario but he's basically fresh from an egg (level 20, I think?). I have enough candy to get him to about level 30, so I'll start with him. Normal types are generally the headache-iest of Rocket stops anyway, so he should be a good start.

Edit: Lucario has 5 effing charge moves?! There's no way I can TM a good one on to him lol

Teach Riolu the second charge move before evolving

It's cheaper and helps your odds

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
TP has given great advice already. Look for Pokemon with high energy gain fast attacks and low energy cost charge attacks and you're in for long but successful battles against Rockets.
Besides the expensive/difficult to obtain Lucario and the mentioned Poliwrath and Melmetal, you can also look at Swampert and Blaziken. Swampert is fantastic (Mudshot + Muddy Water, you don't even need Hydro Cannon if you missed the CD, if you have one, go for 2 charge moves, they're cheap) and Blaziken is also decent but lacks bulk (Counter + Blaze Kick).

I've also noticed Hariyama tends to perform better than Machamp when both are leveled up to around 5000 stardust cost because of the higher bulk. Although now that Machamp can learn Cross Chop again, it's most likely better for Rocket battles.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Battle league is starting to roll out! Well, actually nobody has received it yet, likely to start at Niantic o'clock. https://pokemongolive.com/en/post/gobattleleague-announcement-2/

You have to walk 5 km to get 5 PVP matches, not yet certain if your progress stacks for the next 5 km or if you need to do the 5 battles first. Second option seems unlikely, though, as there's an option to spend coins after walking 2 km to get your 5 PVP battles instantly. The the whole thing feels fair, though, walk around during the day (you should get those 5 km without a big problem) and have 5 battles ready in the evening.

The interesting part is the premium path: "This pass can be used to enter Raid Battles or to enter the premium track in the GO Battle League. Trainers might find winning on the premium track even more rewarding! The Premium Battle Pass will allow you to receive better rewards each time you win, and it will also lower the number of wins needed to earn certain Pokémon encounters. Using a Premium Battle Pass does not affect your rank or rating—the only way to improve those is to win."

If it only takes one premium pass for a whole season, I'm definitely in. Would be kind of mandatory for anyone playing Battle League seriously with the rewards being much better. But it would also seem kind of extremely generous? Doesn't sound like Niantic. One premium pass per battle sounds ridiculously expensive, though. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
This was in an earlier version of the blog post, so the passes might not stack.
Oh, okay, I'd say as expected.

The matches aren't single battles, are they? So if we take the sensible option of best of 3, we'd get plenty of play time out of one charge.

Edit: Nevermind the above, some Niantic guy just confirmed on reddit you earn progress towards your next 5 km even if you haven't battled and you can stack up two charges. Battle league really sounds great so far.

Last edited:

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan

My setup for this month's Giovannia is Lucario (Counter + Power-up Punch / Aura Sphere), Togekiss (Charm + Dazzling Gleam / Ancient Power), and Tyranitar (Smack Down + Stone Edge)

According to PokeBattler Togekiss is the best counter versus Garchomp (using Dazzling Gleam) and the second best versus Kangaskhan (using Ancient Power). Though, when I fought Giovanni, I had Cloyster in the middle. I had Tyranitar as my starter and quickly switched him out for Lucario. Then Lucario was able to take down Persian and Cloyster and had a little left over for Moltres. And then Tyranitar came back to finish off Moltres.

It is mostly impossible to fight the admins and Giovanni without the correct counters, so it's annoying and difficult for a lot of people. But everything else in this game is so damn simple and braindead, it's nice to have something that's an actual challenge, even though the real challenge is just team management. The stuff I'm powering up isn't useless either. Lucario is number one for raids, and many other rocket battles. Togekiss can work well for raids, but it is also a number one counter versus other rocket pokemon. Smack Down Tyranitar isn't number one for raids anymore, but is also great in a number of rocket battles.

But, as with you, doing so many rocket battles in the month (and also trying to duo raids usually), I find myself very low on revives and potions. I really only had two chances at Giovanni when I fought him because I had just 3 or 4 revives left.

Edit: I made this webpage a few months ago that took all of pokebattlers rocket counters pages for the admins and others and put the lists on a single page. I don't have a hostable website at the moment, so you just need to download the page, and then re-open it in a browser.

Last edited:

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Why the bloody hell do we have to walk to participate in battle league? Way to kill off the hype of your new revenue stream. Maybe they think people will actually pay to reduce the 5km to 2km. I'm not though. The battle system already blows. Having a paywall to get the most rewards does not make it more enticing.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not sure what the battle league even is. Like, does it get me anything besides a wrasslin Pikachu?

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not sure what the battle league even is. Like, does it get me anything besides a wrasslin Pikachu?
Based on data mining, it looks like the rewards for free playing include stardust and rare candy, plus possible encounters with Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, Machop, Meditite, Skarmory, Scraggy, Snorlax, Lapras, Larvitar, Deino, Sheildon, and Litwick. A guaranteed Charizard and Scraggy appear to be given for hitting certain ranks.

This could all change, however. I don't think the Pikachu form was seen mentioned anywhere yet.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Why the bloody hell do we have to walk to participate in battle league? Way to kill off the hype of your new revenue stream. Maybe they think people will actually pay to reduce the 5km to 2km. I'm not though. The battle system already blows. Having a paywall to get the most rewards does not make it more enticing.
I really fail to see why this is a big deal. Literally this whole game revolves around walking. You need to walk to get the most out of spawns, you need to walk to get the most out of eggs, you need to walk to get to raids, etc. And if you're playing the game seriously, 5 km per day isn't much.

It always should have been clear that Niantic isn't gonna give you an unlimited amount of free rewards for battling. They also cap the existing PVP rewards at 3 per day. They could have done a ranked battle league giving rewards with a limited amount of battles per day and a for fun league with without rewards and no limit. But people would just complain about the same thing for ranked league.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure they're trying to research it, it's probably just taking a lot longer because it's so much harder to gather data for it.

I've gotten 3 lucky friends so far but I know someone who's gotten over 30 (though she's by far the most dedicated player in our community, so I'm sure she has a ton of best friends interacting with her each day).

I'd focus on powering up three Pokemon (if you have them):
Lucario (Counter/Power-Up Punch + Aura Sphere if you put a second move on it)
Swampert (Mud Shot/Hydro Cannon*)
Melmetal (Thunder Shock/Rock Slide)

Pretty much every rocket battle I fight has one or two of those in them and then for the others you can mix in Pokemon that you might've already powered up for raids (SD Tyranitar, for instance). I think I even used all three against Giovanni (with Kangaskhan as the middle one) and cleaned up.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
We're already spending time to battle. I don't see how walking makes us better at it other than wasting more time. If anything it creates an entry barrier. Not everyone walks 50km a week.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Damn, such a bummer that Battle League is taking so long to be rolled out. Guess they'll wait until raid hour is over to not fuck stuff up but I'm impatient as hell lol

Also can we please get a new Ex Raid boss announced?

Edit: lol BL just goes live as I've posted this.

Did my first 5 battles and it's plenty of fun. Went in all 5 battles with Deoxys/Umbreon/Swampert and won 4. Should have won the 5th one as well if I had bothered to give Deoxys a second charge move (rock slide). But I figured I'd check the toughness of the opposing players first because you only need to battle the matches to rank up at the start. It didn't look particularly hard tbh. The close fight I lost I had to battle Altaria/Azumarill/Hariyama (not sure on the last one). The other guys I battled looked rather interested in showing off their shinies lol. Also nobody except the guy winning bothered to switch which is an incredibly important part of PVP.

Now on to walk 5 kms, or rather sleep first and get to it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
The Battle League screen is so Niantic, though. It just shows your current rank and gives no indication whatsoever about future rewards for reaching a certain rank or even how many ranks there are. Would be nice to actually show that stuff instead of needing dataminers to find that stuff. You could make the point that it's still pre-season but it's also Niantic.

Battle League is a great addition, just did 5 battles and won 3. Mud Bomb Whishcash just wreckin shop
Did you still get a Snorlax encounter? Data mining suggests you get one for certain on rank 1. But I only got a Pokemon encounter (my Snorlax) for the fourth win on the free route.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
just got through rank 1 of gbl. most niantic thing is it doesn't update the screen after the battle(s). have to back out and get in again.
went 4-1. saw some decent competition, some lackluster one, but the final boss was not messing around; they were running bastiodon; that's a lv40 mon.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Won 3 out of 5. Ranked up to Rank 2 but no Snorlax encounter since I didn't win 4.

I have no PVP team at all so I was amazed I even won 3 lol.
I'd reckon it becomes even easier in the future for lower rank battles. The general Pokemon Go player doesn't know much about typing, resistances, let alone good PVP Pokemon. Once the hardcore PVP players rank up higher, the start should be plenty easy.

At least that's what I'm hoping for cause I can't justify spending all that dust and rare candy on the top ultra league Pokemon lol

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I'd reckon it becomes even easier in the future for lower rank battles. The general Pokemon Go player doesn't know much about typing, resistances, let alone good PVP Pokemon. Once the hardcore PVP players rank up higher, the start should be plenty easy.

At least that's what I'm hoping for cause I can't justify spending all that dust and rare candy on the top ultra league Pokemon lol
The thing is, Ranking up only requires completing battles, not winning, at least up to like Rank 4 or 5. The other question is whether Niantic's matchmaking will actually put you against someone of the same rank or not.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
The thing is, Ranking up only requires completing battles, not winning, at least up to like Rank 4 or 5. The other question is whether Niantic's matchmaking will actually put you against someone of the same rank or not.
Yeah, I know. And rank 1-4 is what I'd regard as the lower ranks. For the matchmaking, I'd assume it would pick similar-ish ranks for the sake of keeping players interested. Or rather I'd hope so, but we'll find out soon enough.