• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
I'm totally tempted to buy some incubators now that they've increased the drop rates for 10 km eggs. Don't care for the Unown but getting a few more 10 km eggs in for the (non-existing) chance at Gible and Nincada is tempting me.

Oct 25, 2017
First 10k egg and I got one. Always lucky.

Johto dex is almost complete. Just Heracross/Corsola/Smeargle. And of course finishing the Celebi quest!

edit: Also I need friends to complete these quests (and lavish gifts upon me for 7km eggs next week!)

Last edited:

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Randomly caught a shiny Totodile and Gligar tonight so I'm happy. Been collecting nothing but 10k's by hatching everything else. Hopefully there's an Unown or two in there.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Randomly caught a shiny Totodile and Gligar tonight so I'm happy. Been collecting nothing but 10k's by hatching everything else. Hopefully there's an Unown or two in there.
I'm doing the same thing. I'm up to six purples and going to try and get the other three before 4 when the event ends. Then I'll go on a jog, throw up a star piece, and then pray for an Unown or two.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Caught my 3rd shiny Sentret. My wife caught a Shiny Gligar. Also recently hatched an unown T. Got lucky there.

Looking forward to tomorrow new event.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone run down for me the current meta or end-game? I just recently picked this back up after nearly completing the Gen 1 dex the year it released. I've been casually playing while taking the kids on a stroll, just catching Pokémon and battling Team Rocket and popping in the occasional easy raid.

What's a good goal? Some good mons to aim for full CP, etc? Just general advice, i.e. best way to get the evo mats or are there any new Evee type mechanics to know about (already have Sakura, etc, but noticed things like Castform and Cherrim have two different forms).

I see eggs change distance once you start incubation? Purified Pokémon's seem to have different evolutions based on the silhouette on the evolve button?

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
This weekend seems different. Since Friday I've caught a shiny Raikou, shiny Entei, shiny Diglett and hatched a shiny Bronsly.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone run down for me the current meta or end-game? I just recently picked this back up after nearly completing the Gen 1 dex the year it released. I've been casually playing while taking the kids on a stroll, just catching Pokémon and battling Team Rocket and popping in the occasional easy raid.

What's a good goal? Some good mons to aim for full CP, etc? Just general advice, i.e. best way to get the evo mats or are there any new Evee type mechanics to know about (already have Sakura, etc, but noticed things like Castform and Cherrim have two different forms).

I see eggs change distance once you start incubation? Purified Pokémon's seem to have different evolutions based on the silhouette on the evolve button?
Assuming completing your dex is the "main game" (which may also include building a living dex) then I'd say there's currently 3 different meta-games:
1. Shinies. Self explanatory, collect as many shinies as possible. Niantic really tries to exploit the hell out of this crowd since every event seems to be focused mostly around shinies.
2. Raids. Powering up the best possible raid teams, so you can try to beat them with the smallest team possible.
3. PvP. Basically building the best possible team that fits under the 1500 CP threshold (there's the other two leagues too but they seem to be far less popular) and then competing with others.

PvP is the most interesting of the three, since the battle system is more well rounded than the gym/raid one and the goal isn't just to hunt for Pokemon with the best IVs, but it also requires by far the most time and effort.

Shiny collecting is by far the most tedious and will probably burn you out on the game.

As for your other questions:
- Best Pokemon to power up? Off the top of my head, I'd try to focus on building teams of Machamp, Tyranitar, Mamoswine and Rampardos (if you can find enough Cranidos, they're a somewhat rare spawn). Plus if/when they're available, you want to get Groudon, Kyogre, Mewtwo, Rayquaza and Giratina Origin Forme. There's a few gen 5 Pokemon that'll shake things up but I think those are all the big ones at the moment.
- Castform and Cherrim are weather dependent spawns (eg, Sunny Castform in sunny weather, Rainy Castform in rainy weather, etc).
- The egg distance is just during this event. It'll end in just over 2 weeks.
- Shadow/purified Pokemon evolutions show up as silhouettes because they count as different formes.

Deleted member 12028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I got nothing for this whole event. No shiny sentret or gligars . No unknown letters. And not for a lack of trying. Beat entei today and the bastard fled again....

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I got nothing for this whole event. No shiny sentret or gligars . No unknown letters. And not for a lack of trying. Beat entei today and the bastard fled again....

This is the biggest issue for this whole event. Sounds great in theory, but unless you've got a consistent raid group or have a ton of incubators, it's entirely possibly to finish all three weeks having put in the effort, and still have fuck all to show for it.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Hatched ten 10km eggs this week-end and... no luck. No Unown, no Gibble.
But 4 (four!) Slakoth, 2 Dratini, 1 Beldum , 1 Feebas, 1 Larvitar and 1 fucking Mareep.

What a waste of incubators, I'm so pissed.

Deleted member 13077

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me, if you're going to have an event like this, it has to be really boosted odds if it's a limited time thing. Unown should have been like 33.3% for the week, and shiny sentret/gligar should have been closer to 1/80 for both.

Unfortunately, you then have the more toxic side of this game's fan base that throw a temper tantrum if other people get shiny things (literally) too easily for their liking.

Oct 30, 2017
zero unowns or shinies here all week. not super bothered (i have lots of unowns from yokohama go fests) but yeah, i feel like this should've been more generous.

anyone else seeing turtwig shadows pop up on their radar for whatever reason?

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
0/14 on 10ks, 48 eggs. Got one more to finish hatching today but eh, probably be Shinx or Dratini.

Got the Raikou and Suicune I wanted, two good Gliscors, shiny Bronzor lol.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
No Unown so far but I didn't use any extra incubators so not surprised. I did get a shiny rat yesterday and today got a Sentret shiny at work. Still hoping to get Gligar, at about 150 checks now. Figures that I wouldn't get the one that's actually boosted, but did get 2 full odds haha.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Got 3 3500+ cp tyranitar now all with bite and crunch including a hundo and another I beat in a raid yesterday but with fire blast and bite. 2200 odd cp. so between them and my weaviles I'm good for Mewtwo wed next week

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
No Unown despite quite a lot of 10k hatches but did get a Chingling and shiny Sneasel and Feebas.
Still no Gible or female Combee either.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
I suddenly can't even get logged into PoGo. It gives me a never ending loop of "sorry something went wrong".

I've raised a support ticket but I'll be wicked upset if this spoils regionals week.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else feel like 2x effectiveness on incubators "feels" like the appropriate level, compared to normal?

Last night I went on a 5 mile walk/jog and hatched three 5km eggs, which felt like the correct number (compared to the one, maybe two I would have hatched otherwise). I hatched eggs at roughly felt like good intervals, especially considering there's nothing good in 5km eggs.

Going to be awful going back to regular effectiveness.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Anyone else feel like 2x effectiveness on incubators "feels" like the appropriate level, compared to normal?

Last night I went on a 5 mile walk/jog and hatched three 5km eggs, which felt like the correct number (compared to the one, maybe two I would have hatched otherwise). I hatched eggs at roughly felt like good intervals, especially considering there's nothing good in 5km eggs.

Just their way of whetting your appetite to buy incubators if you're not already inclined to, and then after the event when hatching feels bad again.

Hopefully around the G5 release they'll mix up the egg pools.

Deleted member 13077

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping the weather is going to be better tomorrow. Want to try and go out on my lunch to snag Deoxys, and I'm worried the rain is going to kill interest.

Only want one for the dex, so worst case scenario I suppose I could find an attack form and try to kick the shit out of it on my own.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017

The double incubator effectiveness lasts for another two weeks.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping the weather is going to be better tomorrow. Want to try and go out on my lunch to snag Deoxys, and I'm worried the rain is going to kill interest.

Only want one for the dex, so worst case scenario I suppose I could find an attack form and try to kick the shit out of it on my own.

Raid coordination is going to be interesting this week. The most active raiders already have enough of these guys. No shiny, no exclusive move, means no fear of missing out. This pretty much leaves PVPers hunting for the ideal IV on defense deoxys and the casual raiders.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming completing your dex is the "main game" (which may also include building a living dex) then I'd say there's currently 3 different meta-games:
1. Shinies. Self explanatory, collect as many shinies as possible. Niantic really tries to exploit the hell out of this crowd since every event seems to be focused mostly around shinies.
2. Raids. Powering up the best possible raid teams, so you can try to beat them with the smallest team possible.
3. PvP. Basically building the best possible team that fits under the 1500 CP threshold (there's the other two leagues too but they seem to be far less popular) and then competing with others.

PvP is the most interesting of the three, since the battle system is more well rounded than the gym/raid one and the goal isn't just to hunt for Pokemon with the best IVs, but it also requires by far the most time and effort.

Shiny collecting is by far the most tedious and will probably burn you out on the game.

As for your other questions:
- Best Pokemon to power up? Off the top of my head, I'd try to focus on building teams of Machamp, Tyranitar, Mamoswine and Rampardos (if you can find enough Cranidos, they're a somewhat rare spawn). Plus if/when they're available, you want to get Groudon, Kyogre, Mewtwo, Rayquaza and Giratina Origin Forme. There's a few gen 5 Pokemon that'll shake things up but I think those are all the big ones at the moment.
- Castform and Cherrim are weather dependent spawns (eg, Sunny Castform in sunny weather, Rainy Castform in rainy weather, etc).
- The egg distance is just during this event. It'll end in just over 2 weeks.
- Shadow/purified Pokemon evolutions show up as silhouettes because they count as different formes.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

How is raiding without a dedicated group? Is it possible to solo some of the more difficult raids? Seems like things mostly revolve around that to get the top tier units? I do live in a city so it's not hard to find a gym that has a public raid part so I could occasionally get in on those. From this thread sounds like I need to practice my curveballs though.

Anyone willing to add a friend so I can do some battles to keep my research going? 1558 7092 5482

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I feel raids this week might be a bit dead. Next week should be super active.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

How is raiding without a dedicated group? Is it possible to solo some of the more difficult raids? Seems like things mostly revolve around that to get the top tier units? I do live in a city so it's not hard to find a gym that has a public raid part so I could occasionally get in on those. From this thread sounds like I need to practice my curveballs though.

Anyone willing to add a friend so I can do some battles to keep my research going? 1558 7092 5482
You can only really solo 1-3* raids. Once you get to a point of soloing 3* easily then you can duo 4* with someone similar. 5* though unless it's deoxys attack is a no go unless you find a group I just jump into ransoms groups no one ever minds

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
You can only really solo 1-3* raids. Once you get to a point of soloing 3* easily then you can duo 4* with someone similar. 5* though unless it's deoxys attack is a no go unless you find a group I just jump into ransoms groups no one ever minds
It was possible to solo Rhydon, Tyranitar and Absol. I wouldn't be surprised if they let you do that again in the future.

Deleted member 13077

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Raid coordination is going to be interesting this week. The most active raiders already have enough of these guys. No shiny, no exclusive move, means no fear of missing out. This pretty much leaves PVPers hunting for the ideal IV on defense deoxys and the casual raiders.

Yep. I'm hoping to just come across a few stragglers who, like me, have never laid eyes on an EX raid pass. Going to be one that needs doing early I think.

Yeah, I feel raids this week might be a bit dead. Next week should be super active.

Hope so. Want to try and catch at least one Mewtwo a day if I can. Should be loads of interest, even if he hasn't got shadow ball this time.

Nov 17, 2017
My shiny luck has taken a turn finally!
In the last few days I've found my first Snubbull, 3 Sentret and what feels like my 5th Natu.
Would love a shiny Gligar before the event ends but I'm happy with what I found either way!

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
My shiny luck: shiny Raikou after a shiny Togepi 9 days ago

Generic Era user's shiny luck in the same time span: 15 Sentret, 7 Gligar, 2 Entei, 2 Raikou, my firstborn

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I managed to get a shiny Gligar but no Sentret. And exactly 1 10k egg, which did not have an Unown. This event needed to be two weeks, with better odds for everything.

Teppic

Oct 25, 2017
My stats:
1/22 10k Unown.
Shiny: Sneasel, Onix, Sentret, Feebas.
96 event eggs hatched. 93.6 km walked.

Phew. I got everything expect Sneasel today. Have 4 10k eggs left. Next event will be easier at least.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
I just hope I'll be able to find enough players for defensive Deoxys in the next week. How many players are needed to beat it comfortably, 5-6? Oof, that's gonna be a hard one...

And I hope we don't go back to non-event spawns, even though I expect them.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The OT title is a reference & mainly making fun of those that get so many shinies and then complain when they don't get a shiny the next day :P