• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm at 16 Mewtwo fought, 15 beat, 13 caught, 0 shiny. I'll probably be able to do two or three more tomorrow, one on Monday if I'm lucky, and 2 or 3 during raid hour. If I can do 7 more then I have about a 30% chance to see one.

What do I do with all these Mewtwo? TM them into Ice Beam and Fire Blast and have them round out other raid teams I guess?

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Transfer or trade the low IV ones. Rather than TM Psystrike away, it'd be better to add Ice Beam or Thunderbolt as a second attack since Psystrike is a very powerful move and you can't TM it back because it's a legacy move.
TBH I wouldn't bother giving it a second attack either because there are other, cheaper and better options out there.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Going to try and get a couple more Mewtwo tomorrow, one at lunch and maybe one after work if the raid spawns are kind.

Got two so far, including a shiny, but the IVs aren't great on either...

Nov 17, 2017
Get the fuck in!

vLAgJok
YskWPnI.jpg

Between this, hatching shiny Farfetch'd and shiny Kangaskhan and getting a shiny Mewtwo earlier in the week this has been the luckiest week in this game I've ever had!

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
I had a lot of fun at Universal Studios! I walked a TON but unfortunately all of my egg hatches were trash. And while the spawns weren't quite as dense as I thought they would be, I still managed to catch a bunch of cool stuff including Heatmor, Zebstrika, Amoonguss and Ferroseed. Also caught two of each starter (including a perfect Oshawott) and 3 shinies: Lillipup, Gligar, and Yanma.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
1/36, and I'm not even all that happy about it after it taking this long.

I seriously have to reconsider how hard I go for these things because at this point I'm not even getting any joy from finally getting a lucky RNG roll.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've beat 20 Mewtwo with no shinies, so I've officially crossed that line :'(

Have two more raid passes plus the free one tomorrow, and then raid hour I guess. I'm not super concerned about it but was hoping I'd get one. My family has done 20 collectively today and we haven't had one between us.

Will the Ex Raid Mewtwo have shines?

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
I haven't caught a single Mewtwo except for the shiny I was lucky to encounter. There are also very few T5 raids spawning. It seems like spawn rates and catch rates were reduced.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't caught a single Mewtwo except for the shiny I was lucky to encounter. There are also very few T5 raids spawning. It seems like spawn rates and catch rates were reduced.

Pretty steady stream of tier 5's around me. I've caught all the Mewtwo I've done, the catch rate is lower than when it was an EX raid boss 6% vs 2%.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
I woke up around 5:30am and noticed a Deino on my radar, so I quickly dashed out of the house and caught him. That and with the Servine I evolved, and the Zebstrika and Ferroseed I caught yesterday, my Pokedex has reached 500. :) I made my goal for the weekend.

Also, I joined the raid squad this morning and we did 8 Mewtwo raids (from 6am to 7:30am). On my 3rd and 4th raids, I got shinies in a row! I wasn't really planning on going to hard on the raids, but shit, I ain't spending any raid passes on Giratina A so why not now.

Also, I caught a 3rd shiny Farfetch'd, too.

Overall, good weekend. Still need a Durant, though.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Between my family's combined 60ish Mewtwo raids this week, we found 0 shinies. That's lame.

Edit: Actually, do we know that Shiny Mewtwo was 1/20?

I did 25 Mewtwo raids, each had at least 10 players (most with 15+) and in those 25 raids exactly 5 Mewtwo were found. That's a 2% rate (5 shinies / 10 players * 25 raids).

Edit 2: I know it can't be 2% because of the handful of guys I met that wouldn't stop talking about the three shinies they each caught, but they never did it while we were around lol.

Last edited:

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
Pretty steady stream of tier 5's around me. I've caught all the Mewtwo I've done, the catch rate is lower than when it was an EX raid boss 6% vs 2%.
There are far fewer T5 eggs in my city since the Rayquaza event ended. I wasn't able to play much or raid at all for the first half of the year and thus missed out on all of those, so I am looking forward to Giratina coming back.

Went on a walk this evening to get to 50km and finally caught a Mewtwo, and it had good IVs, too.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Between my family's combined 60ish Mewtwo raids this week, we found 0 shinies. That's lame.

Edit: Actually, do we know that Shiny Mewtwo was 1/20?

I did 25 Mewtwo raids, each had at least 10 players (most with 15+) and in those 25 raids exactly 5 Mewtwo were found. That's a 2% rate (5 shinies / 10 players * 25 raids).

Edit 2: I know it can't be 2% because of the handful of guys I met that wouldn't stop talking about the three shinies they each caught, but they never did it while we were around lol.

1/20 has been pretty clearly established as the shiny tier 5 rate.

Someone did the math on odds over the course of X raids.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRo...120_shiny_rate_you_will_need_60_raids_for_95/

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Any of the Japanese players know where the most gym dense area is in Tokyo? Need to figure out where to do Mewtwo raid hour while I'm there. I'm guessing it's Shinjuku right?

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Any of the Japanese players know where the most gym dense area is in Tokyo? Need to figure out where to do Mewtwo raid hour while I'm there. I'm guessing it's Shinjuku right?
I've played around Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, the Nakano area, and a few other places. Shinjuku has a bunch of gyms, but it can take a while to walk all around the station if you want to get to the other side quickly. It's probably best for a raid hour. Ikebukuro wasn't too bad for raiding. When I was there last month, I was able to do probably 5 or 6 raids in around 45 minutes. Most other places I've played are a bit more spread out. Nakano has some gyms close by, but it still takes a while to get around. I have yet to find a "magic" spot.

You can take a look at "Everyone's Pokemon Map" and see if you can find some good spots. Japanese players use this rather than Discord or whatever US players use.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
So someone in my discord was complaining that 'Theory: Niantic is giving more shinies to low level/newer players than high level/older players because they know higher level players will spend more money to get what they want while newer players are less likely to'. Any truth to this?

In roughly 15 hours and 30 minutes.
Thanks!

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I've played around Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, the Nakano area, and a few other places. Shinjuku has a bunch of gyms, but it can take a while to walk all around the station if you want to get to the other side quickly. It's probably best for a raid hour. Ikebukuro wasn't too bad for raiding. When I was there last month, I was able to do probably 5 or 6 raids in around 45 minutes. Most other places I've played are a bit more spread out. Nakano has some gyms close by, but it still takes a while to get around. I have yet to find a "magic" spot.

You can take a look at "Everyone's Pokemon Map" and see if you can find some good spots. Japanese players use this rather than Discord or whatever US players use.
Hmm...if I'm looking at the map right, in terms of gym density, it seems like around Akihabara station might be the best spot.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
So someone in my discord was complaining that 'Theory: Niantic is giving more shinies to low level/newer players than high level/older players because they know higher level players will spend more money to get what they want while newer players are less likely to'. Any truth to this?
Shinies are determined server side, so we have no clue if they're truly random or not but I seriously doubt most of those conspiracy theories about how they're determined. A lot of the decisions Niantic makes are definitely done to make money but frankly, I don't think they're competent enough to do something that nefarious. I could totally buy the idea that they use each account's ID number as a seed value and that greatly affects your shiny luck though because Niantic are sloppy like that.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
There's no concrete proof of this but I'm inclined to believe it, especially when it concerns inactive accounts returning. I've heard so many stories of people in the community where the significant other or kid logs into the game after weeks or months and immediately gets a shiny. If you're active in the community you hear so much of this. I've experienced it firsthand with my dummy lvl 29 account that wasn't active for weeks, then got a lillipup on the second check. Same with a Natu weeks before, that was the first of second check total for that species. Of course there's no proof and it'll likely remain an urban legend, but I'm thinking that where there's smoke there's fire.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I think it's more that instances of that are highlighted in a community.

As a daily player since the game launched, my shiny luck tends to come in waves. Sometimes I can go for weeks without seeing a non-boosted shiny. Other times, I've caught one a day for a week or so. My best is 4 non-boosted shinies in a single day. I've not seen any actual evidence that a casual player that opens the game once or twice a week has better luck than me or any of the other daily players. I'm more inclined that they seem to have the same luck (ie obtaining the same rate of shinies) without the massive grinding that some people do.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
I think it all stems from Niantic using "true" odds which doesn't care about the player, rather than "video game" odds and luck which eventually plays to the player's favor.

My secondary account does tend to get more shinies than my primary, especially during community days, but this weekend was WAY different. I caught shiny Farfetch'd on my secondary early on, but my main caught two in a row, and then another one later. Additionally with Mewtwo, my primary got 2 shinies in a row. 0 for my secondary. Also with Rayquaza last month, my secondary began with 2 early shinies, but over the course of the month, my primary ended up with 4 and my secondary never found another.

It's all luck.

Rebel-TT

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Tobago
My finance and I are looking for friends? Are we in the right place? The shady looking fella under the tracks pointed me in this direction...

If you're looking for a good time, we don't mind sharing.

5134 4107 4449

And

2231 8272 5465

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Got my second (and finally good!) shiny Mewtwo. So glad, now I'm free for the rest of the day instead of the long raid I've imagined would happen.

I was so happy I even instantly added a second charge move lol I got Focus Blast, is that good? Or should I go for Ice Beam?

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Depends what you are using it for. I have a Shadow Ball Mewtwo with Thunderbolt which helps me clear gyms down when I fancy sweeping without switching stuff in and out. I think Ice Beam is more useful. Focus Blast I think can help in PvP iirc? Not sure.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At least Koofing and be shiny! Were just back to reg spawns. Don't worry, I'm sure we will have another event soon. Maybe even 2 before the big Halloween event

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Depends what you are using it for. I have a Shadow Ball Mewtwo with Thunderbolt which helps me clear gyms down when I fancy sweeping without switching stuff in and out. I think Ice Beam is more useful. Focus Blast I think can help in PvP iirc? Not sure.
Yeah, I'll pretty much use it for clearing gyms. Focus blast hasn't really blown me away vs the Blisseys, Slakings and Snorlaxes when I tried earlier. But I guess they are almost always a pain in the ass to fight, anyway. Ice beam is what I would have added if we were able to choose, that's why I was asking. But I guess I stick with focus blast for now, not in the mood for TM lottery at all.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Focus Blast Mewtwo is one of the best things to use against Shadow Snorlax, if battling Team Rocket is your thing.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Yeah, I'll pretty much use it for clearing gyms. Focus blast hasn't really blown me away vs the Blisseys, Slakings and Snorlaxes when I tried earlier. But I guess they are almost always a pain in the ass to fight, anyway. Ice beam is what I would have added if we were able to choose, that's why I was asking. But I guess I stick with focus blast for now, not in the mood for TM lottery at all.

Yeah, the TM lottery is awful, so I sympathise! I stuck with Thunderbolt for the same reason but have found it useful in some situations.

The normal beasties get Machamp thrown at them anyway :)