• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it depends on the shadow legendary reward, because spending stardust to purify 15 shadow pokemon is a costly endeavor. Wish I had saved all my rattatas and zubats now lol
Yeah, although in the process you're going to be earning 600 dust minimum per rocket battle, plus rewards from the special research, defeating the rocket leaders, etc. Hoarding the cheap shadows is definitely the way to go, however.

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
Ran inro Sierra first, I ended up letting Arceus take the wheel and shouldn't have done that lol. Rematch I went in with the right mon and was easy enough.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Oh is it not guaranteed? I got shiny Sneasel from mine but from seeing them all over reddit I thought that was the point. Gonna keep an eye out for Arlo next 'cause I'd like Scyther, but he looks like the hardest one.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've done the ones for Meowth and Sneasel, neither shiny.

12 Grunts and 2 Leaders later and I have no potions or revives left.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Honestly it seems very noticeable that they nerfed potions from spinning gyms since the other day. Surprised no one's really mentioned it much. Before when I spun a gym pokestop I'd get a bunch of potions. Now I get mostly poke balls.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly it seems very noticeable that they nerfed potions from spinning gyms since the other day. Surprised no one's really mentioned it much. Before when I spun a gym pokestop I'd get a bunch of potions. Now I get mostly poke balls.
I thought I was imagining that. I got 2 supers and 1 hyper potion all day from stops (a few dozen spins). Definitely not enough to support my Rocket Grunt habit (didn't help that I blew through my reserves on Regis day).

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
My machamp, gengar and gardevoir wrecked Sierra. Got a max revive, 3 revives and a shit sneasel.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Hahaha, if that was real, we'd be getting not a single potion/revive by the time the next Rocket event drops. People already complained about that when the grunts started appearing. You'd think there would be hardly any potions left by now.

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
If you're not opening gifts or doing raids you can definitely run out of potions easily. Though yeah that's been since the beginning of the Rocket grunt battles.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
If you're not opening gifts or doing raids you can definitely run out of potions easily. Though yeah that's been since the beginning of the Rocket grunt battles.
I'd argue that's been the case all the time. Before grunts, you basically had no use for getting potions/revives because raids are pretty much self-sustaining. So, the natural thing is to remember that you've always been full of healing items and the few times when you e.g. got 5 healing items out of 9 at a gym and were like "oh no, I don't need those stupid potions". While now, you might have bad luck and only get 1 or 2 and be like "where them potions at???".

It's the same when I'm doing a few Scyther quest and suddenly need another 10 nanab berry and it feels like they are not dropping anywhere. Truth is, they never dropped that extremely, I just haven't needed them before and had plenty.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
My machamp, gengar and gardevoir wrecked Sierra. Got a max revive, 3 revives and a shit sneasel.
All lv 35-40 I assume? I went with this team initially but swapping Geng for Chandelure (31), Gard (33), wasn't enough.

Yeah I opened 20 gifts last night and got like 4 max potions and revives, but as with anything pogo, if you're looking for it you won't get it lol

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Barely beat Arlo with Tyrannitar for Scyther, Raikou for Crobat and Moltres for Scizor. Moltres was the MVP. I brought him out to take down Scyther after Tyra died, and when Crobat took down Raikou I brought him out again. So he technically gave the killing shot to all three.

Oxx

Oct 28, 2017
The game tried to force an update last night but I waited until I was on wifi this morning. Now it keeps falling to install in Google Play.

Good thing the Samsung store version still works.

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue that's been the case all the time. Before grunts, you basically had no use for getting potions/revives because raids are pretty much self-sustaining. So, the natural thing is to remember that you've always been full of healing items and the few times when you e.g. got 5 healing items out of 9 at a gym and were like "oh no, I don't need those stupid potions". While now, you might have bad luck and only get 1 or 2 and be like "where them potions at???".

It's the same when I'm doing a few Scyther quest and suddenly need another 10 nanab berry and it feels like they are not dropping anywhere. Truth is, they never dropped that extremely, I just haven't needed them before and had plenty.
Hmm, yeah that's fair too cause you're right about the self sustaining part. It's easy to revive and top off the party when you get x12 or x15 revives or hyper potions.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did 2 rocket bosses this morning and like 9 grunts. No shinies, but is a lot of fun.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I didn't know the radar was one use only, I'll be saving the next one I make til I have the next quest step. Beat Cliff today and got him first try, but that was still pretty challenging. I do like that they didn't make them too easy. Hope I'll get a Unova stone soon from one of those battles.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Did 3 leaders so far and checked a few more and no Sierra :(

The game tried to force an update last night but I waited until I was on wifi this morning. Now it keeps falling to install in Google Play.

Good thing the Samsung store version still works.
That's exactly the reason why the Google Play version doesn't work haha

With the latest update, they forced that you can only have 1 version of Pokemon Go on your phone. You probably installed the Samsung version first, so that's why you could only update that one. Sucks because it was very convenient to have your 2nd account with you without logging in and out. But I guess one could always try running a copy through Samsung's secure folder?

Oxx

Oct 28, 2017
Did 3 leaders so far and checked a few more and no Sierra :(

That's exactly the reason why the Google Play version doesn't work haha

With the latest update, they forced that you can only have 1 version of Pokemon Go on your phone. You probably installed the Samsung version first, so that's why you could only update that one. Sucks because it was very convenient to have your 2nd account with you without logging in and out. But I guess one could always try running a copy through Samsung's secure folder?

Ha, wow.

I guess I'll get rid of the Samsung version then. I missed the boat when that store had cheaper coins anyway.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, apparently I picked up a 100% purified Venonat today. Makes my 4th hundo from Go TR stops, and just did my 100th TR stop today as well

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez, I just invested so many resources into beating Sierra god damn.

What's the endgame of defeating these leaders again? I've beaten Arlo and Sierra so far. Eventually we face Giovanni yeah?

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Jeez, I just invested so many resources into beating Sierra god damn.

What's the endgame of defeating these leaders again? I've beaten Arlo and Sierra so far. Eventually we face Giovanni yeah?
You'll only face Giovanni through the special research. And you'll need to beat each leader at some point of it. There's not really a point in beating the leaders right now.

Rackham

Oct 25, 2017
beat Cliff today. He was tough for my team. Hariyama was my mvp though. took out meowth, both protect shields and Snorlax to half. Rhydon with surf and Vaporeon took out Snorlax and Tyranitar. Got a shitty Meowth. Gotta purify 13 more shadow pokemon but need like 26k stardust.

and I'm running out of max revives and max potions.

Ekakkubris

Oct 31, 2017
East Bay, California
It's so strange how Niantic concocted a battle feature that I think is pretty fun and a bit strategic, but not have any incentives/bonuses for winning these kinds of battles. I really don't like how a good amount of good items come from strictly raids. Especially if they'd benefit more as PVP/Rocket rewards (I never used a TM until they started PVP)

This doesn't bode well for Go Battle League next year.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Fought Sierra for the second time no shiny or any good rewards. Oh well. Managed my second Florida shiny. A sunkern

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's so strange how Niantic concocted a battle feature that I think is pretty fun and a bit strategic, but not have any incentives/bonuses for winning these kinds of battles. I really don't like how a good amount of good items come from strictly raids. Especially if they'd benefit more as PVP/Rocket rewards (I never used a TM until they started PVP)

You never used a tm for raids? I've easily used up like 200+ combined TMs to get better moves, esp for some Pokemon to switch their moves from 1 type to another depending on the T5 raid.

Makes me wonder what you are using for raids a little lol

Also, I think at one point, you could get a tm from pvp or trainer leader battles

robox

Nov 10, 2017

I dipped my toe into pvp league last month. If you have one in your area you'll find out how hardcore it can get. These people are maxing out flavour of the month mons like dusclops and mawile. One guy I know is always at near zero tms due to using them up to try and practice and keeps track of how many tms he gets from raiding.

It's a whole world out there that's not yet officially supported in game.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Fingers crossed these Rocket leader battles have the side effect of more people coming to raids with appropriate counters that have good moves and have been powered up.

I took the opportunity to add secondary moves to a few of my maxed out guys for more coverage potential in these battles.

Also, I think at one point, you could get a tm from pvp or trainer leader battles
This is still true.

Last edited:

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Personally, I need way more charged TMs for raid Pokemon than PVP. For PVP, you'll need to unlock a second move, so that makes getting the right move through TMs somewhat easier, in the case of 3 possible charged moves it's a safe TM for the right move. But getting Excadrill or Roserade the best move for raids/PVE? Yeah, that takes about 10 charged TMs lol

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder which league will become the official pvp league.......

I just have two charge tms atm lol curse you aerodactyl

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Yeah, our fb group had a guy complaining his Machamp was getting bodied by Sierra, he was citing it's '3 star rating' so I figured he was using some lv 20 Champs or something. Dude had a maxed Champ but was using dual steel moves and had never tm'd 😬

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Yeah, our fb group had a guy complaining his Machamp was getting bodied by Sierra, he was citing it's '3 star rating' so I figured he was using some lv 20 Champs or something. Dude had a maxed Champ but was using dual steel moves and had never tm'd 😬
Yeah, the new rating system is great for people that know what they're doing but I'd argue it's terrible for the majority of players. Plenty of guys here that fight with some shit Pokemon in raids just because it has 100% IVs. And when I explain them that the IVs don't matter if the Pokemon is shit, they're still like "yeah, but it's 100%, it must be better than Pokemon X" and don't believe me 🤦‍♂️

It gets worse as one guy always uses his 100% Melmetal and it's actually useful against Arlo hahaha