• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zaphod79

Nov 9, 2017
Worst cd yet but 16 shinies... 🤔

I know what your saying, but somehow still a little funny. Lol

My 'worst' community day was Larvitar - so before trades were a thing I caught about 4 shinys - but 3 hours of almost constant crashing - clicking on things and getting an error "the item cannot be used" , starpieces , lucky eggs and incense going the whole time and it felt as if i was fighting for every little scrap i could get

I totally get the 'multiple shinys but a terrible day' thing

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Went out for the last hour, grabbed four shiny and three Gallarian Weezing for the hell of it (w/ two free passes, one premium). I was mostly walking around battling Team Rocket grunts.

Oh and it's worth noting that the CD research tasks were back to the boring old rewards (500 stardust, 5 great balls, etc). You couldn't get any Chimchar's from them like we could get Trapinch last month.
As Zaphod79 said, encounter rewards were indeed around. I came across four, pulled a shiny from one.

Nov 17, 2017
Had a pretty lucky community day!
Found well over 10 shiny Chimchar, a shiny Lilipup and a shiny Clamperl + with the reduced egg hatch distance I was able to hatch a shiny Alolan Vulpix - well happy with that!

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Community Day was...well, Community Day. The only notable thing about PoGo for me lately is that I've had 7 lucky friends in one week, which is pretty crazy for my standards. I usually get one lucky friend every 3 weeks ish lol.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Community Day was...well, Community Day. The only notable thing about PoGo for me lately is that I've had 7 lucky friends in one week, which is pretty crazy for my standards. I usually get one lucky friend every 3 weeks ish lol.
I hit lucky friends with my daughter for the second time 2 days after we became lucky friends the first. She got a hundo Mewtwo and a hundo shiny azumarill out of me. I got a 89 shiny yanma and a 96 Mewtwo. Wish it happened this much with other friends.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely got some chimchar encounters from them - it was just rare - there were also quite a few 'hatch 5 eggs' for rare candy which worked out well with the 1/4 egg distance and the fact that just about every egg i've been picking up recently is a 2k
As Zaphod79 said, encounter rewards were indeed around. I came across four, pulled a shiny from one.
Really? Huh, I must've spun 30 or so stops but didn't get one. Guess we were just really unlucky. I don't think the hatch 5 eggs task was part of the CD though, as I've seen no other reports of it.

robox

Nov 10, 2017
3 shinies for me, all time low. Last 2 came in the last 10 minutes as I switched to shiny checking mode. My friend got 4 in his first 10min then ended up with 6 in under 2 hours of play.
Tried to duo the weezing with him and almost did it. He blames me because I was trying to dodge the charge moves. But a couple showed up and we beat it handily.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Slept in and only managed an hour of Community Day where I only got one (pretty good) shiny. Oh well, I can hopefully grab some more in a month. I've had great luck in the last week with both a shiny Natu and Skarmory so I guess it balances out. Got a couple of Galarian Weezings too.

Spent the rest of the day running around fighting some Rockets. The leaders are pretty easy once you get the counters done, just need to fight Arlo then I can get on to the boss. Articuno is the only gen 1 I'm missing and the breakthrough has been no help so this'll be nice.

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK
Only did the last hour of CD, managed to get 5 shinys though, evolved a couple but with the possible Dec CD I'm not sure how worth stardust they are.
Got a Weezing and hatched Blitzle (now that we finally got a mini nest a couple of days ago haha, typical). Beat Sierra again too, she gave me so much trouble the first time with the exact same lineup. I think I used Swamp to break shields and then Ttar and Champ, easy. Probably won't get out to do Cliff today cause I just wanna play Sword.

Oct 26, 2017
How can PTC be this useless? I added a Google login long ago on my account, but I made a second account just to deal with the occasional trading or duel quest (noone else around to play with on a daily basis). I brought that one along on the community day, but after an hour I was logged off and I haven't been able to login since. I mean, it's a login server. How can it be down for over 24 hours for one of the most popular mobile games?

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
How can PTC be this useless? I added a Google login long ago on my account, but I made a second account just to deal with the occasional trading or duel quest (noone else around to play with on a daily basis). I brought that one along on the community day, but after an hour I was logged off and I haven't been able to login since. I mean, it's a login server. How can it be down for over 24 hours for one of the most popular mobile games?
If it's the same problem I used to run into when I used PTC, it's a bug on Niantic's end, not the servers. I usually fixed it by force stopping the app (via the Apps menu in settings) and restarting my phone.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Omg I got a shiny shadow sneasel and its stats aren't too bad either. Hnngh should I evolve it and power it up or wait if it gets a new move one day?

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
New EX Raid passes went out.

It'll get return anyway won't it
If you purify the Sneasel and TM the move away, the evolution would be open to getting any new time-exclusive move.

But, it doesn't seem particularly likely to receive new exclusive moves. Things permanently added to the pool, perhaps, but not limited stuff.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
I did community day in a big city yesterday for the first time and I have to say it almost felt like cheating or putting the game on easy mode.

I was still traveling for the start, so I only had about 90 minutes of CD. I got 11 shinies, plenty of candy and I couldn't even really be bothered to play hard for the last 10 minutes cause I was trying to figure out where the community there would go for the upcoming raid hour. I normally need 3 hours of intense playing to get that result on a CD, it's just mental lol

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Pokemon Go has pretty much destroyed my iPhone 6. The touch screen sometimes decides it doesn't want to work. Not helpful when I'm in class trying to play something for the students, and I can't select the track from iTunes.

I'm buying a new phone if the 3-year extension of my Work VISA works out.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just got an iPhone 7, and holy cow does everything run better, including Go. I had a 6 before.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... Time to upgrade that. I recently got a new phone, and runs so much better than my old one. Esp nice as the old one battery was really bad after 3 constant uses of playing PoGo. lol

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
I hope we'll get some info on the CD weekend next month now that this one's over.

I need to know if I have to bury my hopes for good.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel really terrible reviewing spots for locations that are obviously starved for stops, but the submissions are for things on clearly private and residential property. I want to help them, but it's just not good enough to submit your boat that sits in your yard.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really getting some stupid submissions now. Those will die down eventually at least.

Tips: Get out of the car, make sure no fingers in front of the camera, correct titles. Don't mention Pokemon Go. These should be obvious, but guess not.

I liked this one, still a 1*, but got a laugh out of the absurdity of it.
7cf376c212695d157cb68abea709eff4.png

Go to Jail, do not spin Pokestop. lol

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
If you have a Skarmory nest nearby, be sure to check it out. I just got my 3rd shiny and this nest which is a 5 minute walk from my house isn't even a good nest. The shiny rate is crazy high.

Gafftron

Dec 11, 2017
Managed to find a shiny Caterpie last night and then I just got a shiny Electrike. This is the best shiny luck I've ever had in any Pokémon game hahaha

Nov 17, 2017
How often do nests change? Where I work is currently a Growlithe nest and I really hope I can find a shiny before they disappear.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
My phone was able to stay live long enough to catch a Regigigas today. But other than that, I really haven't been playing at all since last week. It's hard to play when you need to restart the app every 10 minute, and the touch screen decides to stop working. New phone next week, perhaps. (Though, I did spend about an hour in discord talking with someone near my hometown about regional trading stuff when I visit over Christmas.)

Hopefully the "super effective" spawns will be good. I'd love to build up my reserves of Machop on my secondary account. Some decent quests would be nice, too.

I'm running a full marathon this weekend, so my Monday plan is to time a star piece with Adventure Sync, 7th day catch, 7th day spin, and research rewards. Giovanni and Rocket Team Leader defeat, too, if I can.

Nov 17, 2017
Every 2 weeks at Thursday 0:00 GMT I think. So you've got over a week left.

This doesn't take into account forced nest migrations due to event spawns.

Ace, thanks for that - fingers crossed they don't change tonight then!

No shiny Growlithe yet but I did find a shiny Pidgey on my lunch break so I'm not complaining.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
100 IV Klink from a raid I found at work at lunch hour. Very happy with that surprise.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Always thought Sprint / T-Mobile having stops/gyms was kinda odd.

Starbucks makes sense, can help attract people in. I've chosen many launches/etc based upon a pokestop plenty of times.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hearing all the Sprint/Boost Mobile sponsored stops/gyms have vanished locally.
Yup. My EX Raid was just canceled. Lost a gym and stop in my local downtown, which sucks, especially now that there is no EX Raid eligible gym down there.

I think that's the third gym I could see from my home that disappeared over the last year. Obnoxious.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Scyther is also supposed to have a boosted shiny rate, right? It's another (and even worse!) Sneasel case for me. I started putting all my Scythers into Let's Go parks some 1 or 2 months ago to count my attempts. I'm at two full parks (50 Scyther in each) and still no shiny. Fuck me, man.

Always thought Sprint / T-Mobile having stops/gyms was kinda odd.

Starbucks makes sense, can help attract people in. I've chosen many launches/etc based upon a pokestop plenty of times.
Do they offer charging up your phone or power banks in those stores? We have no sponsored stuff here but I know the T-Mobile shops here offer power banks for your phone which brings in customers. But yeah, they probably just bought into the hype without thinking too much about it. I'd say it's still good advertising, as long as it stays in the game lol

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I think a lot of the initial hype for the game was just quick marketing decisions. Applebees had like discounted appetizers if you showed your waiter your Dex, local restaurants did deals for Pokemon Go Players..it was a nice way to bring in customers who were playing.

Would be nice to see that again with a corporate tie in. Does Starbucks even still have those Pokemon Go drinks any more that are on the stop icon?
Maybe they could do something at McDonalds...they did in Japan I think.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
Finally played let's go long enough to be able to get my first mystery box.

Got 19 meltans from it. Glad its only 3 days per box now instead of 7. Should get a melmetal in no time at all. Glad I don't have to play let's go any longer cos boy is that boring lol

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Maybe they could do something at McDonalds...they did in Japan I think.
Yeah, all McDonalds in Japan are gyms. Though, since October, even though they are an EX Raid Gym, the two we have in my town haven't had an EX raid. (Maybe it's the same for all.) I'm guessing that McDonalds didn't like the fact that normal raids were blocked by the EX raid, so every other week it was empty. So, they probably opted to prevent EX raids from happening.

Luckily, a few weeks later, all gyms in parks/nests became EX gyms.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
This seems like the most random event I've seen so far. And well, yeah, pretty shit.

Swinup, Torchic, Rhyhorn and Machop are good spawns but have (had) plenty of opportunities to get them already, so there's no real need for those spawns (especially with a possible CD re-run in a few weeks). Other boosted spawns are spawns that are pretty common anyway and not very good (Murkrow, Teddyursa). Then they have a shitload of raids available, especially 3*, and non are especially useful for rocket battles. The field research only rewards Tentacool, which seems just randomly picked because they needed to release a shiny. Plus, there's nothing that actually teaches the player anything about super effective attacks, other than the quest we have seen give 500 stardust instead of Tentacool before.

So, we got decent spawns at best but they failed to deliver on pretty much everything and put out a random shiny to make shiny hunters happy. Good job.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Swinup, Torchic, Rhyhorn and Machop are good spawns but have (had) plenty of opportunities to get them already, so there's no real need for those spawns (especially with a possible CD re-run in a few weeks).
I don't disagree about this event being a bit weak. But I would argue the newer and returning players will be more important for this event with those spawns. Esp Seinub, Machop & Rhydon. Murkrow evolved Pokemon is a decent dark attacker too. Those are the people who could really use these Pokemon. Esp if they are having trouble with go rocket leaders.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
I don't disagree about this event being a bit weak. But I would argue the newer and returning players will be more important for this event with those spawns. Esp Seinub, Machop & Rhydon. Murkrow evolved Pokemon is a decent dark attacker too. Those are the people who could really use these Pokemon. Esp if they are having trouble with go rocket leaders.
Ths problem is that yes, there are some decent spawns in it. Teddiursa for example is also pretty useful against Snorlax with dual fighting attacks. But who is gonna tell people who don't know it yet?

To me, and I'm still kind of an returning player (started some 6/7 months ago) the problem I see is that some people simply don't care about building good teams. In our local raid group, we have people repeatedly failing Cobalion raids. Yet, after repeatedly telling them to do some Machamp raids as they haven't had decent fighting type Pokemon for months, they still haven't done a single one. The way I see it, these are nice spawns for plenty of players that don't care that these are nice spawns, most other players don't need them anymore. I'm not gonna lie, 3 months ago I would have been all over those spawns. But since then I've done plenty of research and raids for Swinup/Piloswine and Machop/Machamp. The spawns seem incredibly niche.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the people who just go along with and raid with their "recommend" pokemon are the worst. Some of them won't ever learn. But, at least the new Go Rocket stuff has to at least force some of them to learn (at least those interested in it and willing to learn). Esp since they can't get outside help. I feel like the friend bonus for balls, while GREAT, has probably allowed some to coast by in raids and ignore the "most damage"/etc ball stat.

In the end, when it comes to some of these people, they were never going to learn in the first place.

I am excited for the Machop spawns though, still need 1 more shiny.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Murkrow is pretty good. It's evolution, Hunchkrow, has the 2nd highest DPS versus Virizion (will be in raids in December after Terrakion), and 3rd best overall behind Sky Attack Moltress and Rayquaza (both currently unavailable).

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
If the raid list on TSR is right then wow, the T3 pool is completely ridiculous. It doesn't really seem like they've increased the number of T3 raids either, so it'll probably be fairly difficult to find one of the more interesting T3s if you're looking to take advantage of the guaranteed Charge TMs.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
The T3/T4 Rare Candy buff is actually pretty nice if you want to solo/duo your Rare Candy grind.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
It would have been nice to include one or two rarer Gen 4/5 things in the spawn pool. At least there's Ferroseed in Tier 3 raids, although there are apparently 16 potential Tier 3 bosses right now, so good luck having one appear at a convenient time.

Snagged a perfect lvl 31 Rhydon, which is pretty great. Think I'll sit on it, however, in case it gets a CD or exclusive move. At least until the shiny is released.

I am excited for the Machop spawns though, still need 1 more shiny.
They seem fairly rare among the boosted spawns. I didn't come across a single one during a 90 minute walk.

Yeah, the people who just go along with and raid with their "recommend" pokemon are the worst. Some of them won't ever learn. But, at least the new Go Rocket stuff has to at least force some of them to learn (at least those interested in it and willing to learn). Esp since they can't get outside help. I feel like the friend bonus for balls, while GREAT, has probably allowed some to coast by in raids and ignore the "most damage"/etc ball stat.
I really hope some kind of feedback system is added to raids to help with this stuff. Hopefully they're moving toward that in some way.