• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Please do something to make Sinnoh Stone(s) available so that if I catch another really good Rhyhorn I can evolved it to Rhyperior during the event and not waste my only stone on a pokemon I already have.

Also I have a 100 IV Rhyperior. Am I screwed for the CD move?
There's still two and a half weeks left, you don't have anyone to do quick PvP battles with each day?

I'm sure they will. They already did it for Mamoswine.
They didn't for Gallade, so I wouldn't count on it.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Whiscash is a good choice because mud bomb charges quickly, it's only super weak to grass which not a lot of people will run, and ground moves are strong against fighting and steel so it works as a county to Medicham/Registeel/Bastiodon.
Just got absolutely annihilated with Wishcash. Skarmory tore through my team.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Skarmory is one of those weird outliers that you'd definitely have to basically use something that does fast neutral damage to it or something super effective. There's a reason Skarmory is one of the top ones for Great League. Most people will use Defense Deoxys with Rock Slide to deal with Skarmory.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Half of my 2nd stage rewards from the battle league have been Sinnoh stones, so be sure to do that. It's a waste for me, wish I could send them to those in need!

I found something that was working for me in the battle league, at least for a while. Alolan Raichu was doing wonders. I got into a real nice roll. "Weak connection" issues really hurt me tonight though, which is a bummer. It's another reason why the current rewards system is really brutal. Get hit with lag once or twice and you're not getting that encounter, which at least for me is the real prize.

I got 6 shiny Minccino out of 40, with two eggs to go. I pulled a regular perfect one and a shiny 98%, so pretty pretty good, even if this is isn't really a useful Pokemon for anything.

There was a large batch releases a few weeks ago. If you were playing then too its probably just ones boosted by weather you didn't have before.

They're probably gonna trickle out 1-2 at a time throughout the year until gen 6.
I'm still waiting for Deino to be released... and a third of the batch from a couple weeks ago... and I'm pretty sure Litwick was removed from the game three months ago after barely showing up in the first place...

Even the mass releases are de facto trickles!

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
You guys acting like there won't be the Sinnoh event next weekend lol

If you're desperate for sinnoh stones, do some research tasks then.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
There's still two and a half weeks left, you don't have anyone to do quick PvP battles with each day?

They didn't for Gallade, so I wouldn't count on it.
There was still the other evolution available that got the exclusive move on Ralts CD. They'll probably have them available in some fashion for this one, since otherwise you couldn't get the move at all.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
You guys acting like there won't be the Sinnoh event next weekend lol

If you're desperate for sinnoh stones, do some research tasks then.
It's easy to forget when everything is just another egg event these days.

There was still the other evolution available that got the exclusive move on Ralts CD. They'll probably have them available in some fashion for this one, since otherwise you couldn't get the move at all.
Even so, it was pretty lame for anyone who wanted to get a Synchronoise Gallade (as this was before they buffed Psychic, so Synchronoise was actually useful). But like Luke92 said, they've already announced that there's going to be Sinnoh Stone research tasks this weekend, so anyone who wants them should be able to get some.

Anyway, I don't think anyone's mentioned it in this thread but they changed the research tasks this month. There's no more second stage evolutions to stack up in preparation for the 3x Stardust CD but Feebas and Alolan Meowth have boosted shiny rates. Add in Alolan Vulpix, which got extended for another month, and there's some decent tasks to keep an eye out for.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Rhyhorn community dat is pretty rad, but the real winner is being able to evolve to Rhyperior and be guaranteed a decent move without having to spend all your TMs.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, I don't think anyone's mentioned it in this thread but they changed the research tasks this month. There's no more second stage evolutions to stack up in preparation for the 3x Stardust CD but Feebas and Alolan Meowth have boosted shiny rates. Add in Alolan Vulpix, which got extended for another month, and there's some decent tasks to keep an eye out for.
Umbreon and Espeon are available.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Whiscash is a good choice because mud bomb charges quickly, it's only super weak to grass which not a lot of people will run, and ground moves are strong against fighting and steel so it works as a county to Medicham/Registeel/Bastiodon.
Ground isn't super effective vs fighting.

I didn't do the sims but Swampert will probably have an easier time vs Skarmory because of Hydro Cannon. All the starter CD moves do crazy damage even when resisted. You just need to combine them with a fast attack that builds up energy quickly so that you can pressure shields reliably.

You can also do more advanced things like bait shields with a lower energy charged attack by waiting for the other charged attack to build up. Or switch the moment before they unleash their charged attack to a Pokemon with a more favorable matchup. It all depends on your team composition, reading of the game and plain experience.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Was the shiny rate boosted at all?
Onix already has a boosted 1/64 shiny rate, so I doubt they changed it. But even with that shiny rate, good luck getting one because the spawn rate was absurdly low. I only saw three Onix on a road that has about 25 spawns and there were none on my nearby either.

I wasn't expecting Gible from this thing but I did think they'd come up with something worthwhile and they'd have a CD-like spawn rate. Like, I'd be perfectly happy if they used this format to do CD re-do's for all the people who missed out or weren't playing at the time. Instead we got whatever the fuck that was.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Yeah, low spawn rate is pretty weird. Though, I think a CD spawn rate is a bit much. Even though it's just an hour, it screws over people who can't make it.

They probably had some kind of multiplier added to the spawn rate to boost the spawns, but Onix's spawn rate was probably low enough to start with, it only resulted in a couple more showing up. And then spawn points only refresh every 30 minutes, so there were really only two chances for one to spawn at each point for the duration.

People complain about Onix being chosen, but better to get 'im out of the way while they're still "testing" it out, rather than do this with something worthwhile and mess it up.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Onix is a decent spawn. But it gets featured in events every other month and has had a research task forever.

When you add the underwhelming spawn rate in NZ, that's an event they can improve a lot on.

hergipotter

Oct 28, 2017
Catching shadow mons after a rocket grunt fight doesn't work for me today somehow. After the fight the catch screen just doesn't show up. Happened two times now. Anyone else seen this?

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Onix spotlight in Japan seemed okay. I only did it for about 10 minutes on my way home and probably encountered 10. But I could've been more hardcore about it and got more.

I'm really curious what their Thursday mystery thing is going to be. Research for good rewards? Double XP or stardust? Free Go battles for an hour? Free trades?!

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Onix spotlight in Japan seemed okay. I only did it for about 10 minutes on my way home and probably encountered 10. But I could've been more hardcore about it and got more.

I'm really curious what their Thursday mystery thing is going to be. Research for good rewards? Double XP or stardust? Free Go battles for an hour? Free trades?!
That's what I'd put my money on. Everything else sounds too good lol

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PvP kinda getting boring now. Was fun at first, but everyone I beat is using the same teams and I'm getting my ass kicked cause I don't have the elite team (I'm lucky enough to have a good altaria)

Nov 27, 2017
Does the "Battle another Trainer" research task have to be in person? I did a couple of battle league battles but it doesn't say that I completed it.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Rhyhorn is cool but don't really want to do a CD for them. They're annoying to catch because they sit so far back from the screen; doesn't seem like a pleasant 3 hours.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Swinub was annoying for the same reason lol

Huh? They're way harder to hit. My phone is so narrow that I can't throw wide enough to get curve balls to travel that far. I feel like I'll need to use an iPad for this one.
Rhyhorn is easy to hit with a curveball for me. Might be a phone issue.

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Swinub is way worse, it's back there too, but so damn small. (And has high red circle too..)

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Rhyhorn is easy to curveball on an iPhone 5S and horrible on an iPhone 8 Plus. A lot of stuff is more difficult on the 8 Plus. Zubats are total dicks.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
im sorta liking the PVP stuff, but i think i've hit a wall. im rank 8 ish now and i barely get more than 2/5 wins per match. ive swapped around teams, but its gotten a bit to hard. i either use a meta relevant or an anti meta team. wish it was 6v6 and you could see eachothers team before picking 3 pokes. as it is, its such a luck of the drawer. it blows

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Onix hour was good here, potentially great. Plenty of spawns and I got a shiny on the third Onix I saw. Because I've already gotten 2 shinies before, I didn't really bother to go for more Onix, did the Rocket special research instead and only caught the occasional Onix when it was near me. Guess it would have been a great spotlight hour if you wanted to grind that shiny Onix.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I can't unsee it

RAfTa4R.png

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
I updated my Rocket counter page with the current shadow pokemon for the leaders and Giovanni.

v. Sierra
I think I'm going Tyranitar, Melmetal, and Togekiss. Beldum is pretty weak according to Pokebattler. Switch into Melmetal to take him out and go from there.

v. Arlo
A pretty mixed bag. Tyranitar, Swampert, and either Togekiss, Torterra, or Blaziken (for Scizor). Switch into Swampert for Mawile.

v. Cliff
Also a bit mixed. Torterra, Blaziken, and Swampert. Switch to Blaziken for Pinsir. Run if Torterra.

v. Giovanni
Torterra, Lucario, and.. i dunno. Swampert, I guess. Lucario and Torterra should be able to take 'em all out. Switch to Lucario to start.

This is my plan... shit may fall apart in the field, but who knows. Always switch into your starter against the leaders and Giovanni. Never start with your starter.

I'm not sure if I'll try to grind out Beldums this month, but we'll see.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
I've only done Sierra, went in blind and she was incredibly easy. Beldum is weak and doesn't do much damage so I feel you can go in with whatever you like lol I did badly and switched Swampert in vs Exeggcutor and still won comfortably with Lucario and Metagross.

Also, Niantic needs to do something to encourage Wayfarer reviewing. The system has completely collapsed here, even easy 5* are in voting for a month with an upgrade. That made also me stop reviewing, upgrades are the only reward we get and if those don't work... why bother?

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I've only done Sierra, went in blind and she was incredibly easy. Beldum is weak and doesn't do much damage so I feel you can go in with whatever you like lol I did badly and switched Swampert in vs Exeggcutor and still won comfortably with Lucario and Metagross.

Also, Niantic needs to do something to encourage Wayfarer reviewing. The system has completely collapsed here, even easy 5* are in voting for a month with an upgrade. That made also me stop reviewing, upgrades are the only reward we get and if those don't work... why bother?
i haven't experienced a collapse but I'm kinda over Wayfarer. I recently had to submit a POI for the third time because the first time the photo was apparently blurry/dark (if wasn't) and the second time it was apparently a duplicate (it isn't). Add in the POI that some jerk moved into a difficult position and the way edits are handled (a friend and I submitted two no-brainer edits in early January because the current ones are in the wrong locations but nothing has changed since then) and I just can't be bothered wasting my time on it.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Double post but Niantic announced yet another February event:

The main parts:
- 2 special trades a day
- More party hat bullshit (Pikachu + Eevee in the wild, Charmander/Squirtle/Bulbasaur in 7km eggs)
- Clone form bullshit (Pikachu from snapshot, Charizard/Blastoise/Venusaur in T4 raids)
- Armored Mewtwo in T5 raids

Oh and a random party hat Nidorino/Gengar Raid Day that weekend, which means we'll have two raid days and a community day in three successive weekends. What on earth are they thinking?

OP
OP
GulAtiCa

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got my Scraggy last night. Was actually able to beat all 5 battles at Rank 4. So, some of the fun came back.

I actually came up with a somewhat decent strategy for Azumarill. I lead off with my Heracross, and if the leading opponent uses Azu first I try to land 1 Close Combat. So that either they use up a shield (my goal) or they take some small damage and then right after switch to my Meganium to help usually knock it out.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Double post but Niantic announced yet another February event:

The main parts:
- 2 special trades a day
- More party hat bullshit (Pikachu + Eevee in the wild, Charmander/Squirtle/Bulbasaur in 7km eggs)
- Clone form bullshit (Pikachu from snapshot, Charizard/Blastoise/Venusaur in T4 raids)
- Armored Mewtwo in T5 raids

Oh and a random party hat Nidorino/Gengar Raid Day that weekend, which means we'll have two raid days and a community day in three successive weekends. What on earth are they thinking?
It's like they want to kill this game for good lol

"Celebrate Pokemon day with us" - and give us all your money. Locking celebratory and promo stuff behind eggs and raids and not making them easily available is a joke.

And yeah, I have no idea what they're thinking with all the events this month. Should have done one of those raid days at the end of last year when we didn't have one for like forever. I'm looking forward to Lick Gengar, though. How many people did you need on its raid day, is it duoable?

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Raid Hour today made me ask the question again: do we really need 3+ weeks of each legendary Pokemon?

Now, in the first few gens, legendaries had a reasonable amount. You might make a point about gen 3 already having too many but with gen 4, they've started overdoing legendaries in my opinion. Now, Gen 5 isn't really worse in the number of legendaries. But 2 of the swords of justice are completely bad and the weather trio even has two forms on top of mostly being bad. Is that really material for 27 weeks of T5 raids? I know people have other stuff to do and appreciate that raid bosses don't change on 2 week basis. But that's more than 6 months, so when you deduct the 6/9 weeks of good bosses that's still almost half a year of shit T5 raids.

Or they just need to finally introduce hold items, that would take 9 weeks off the weather trio and T5 raids and make Arceus finally a viable raid boss.