• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
A pretty good evening. People were reporting a lot of Gibles, so I was able to catch 3 of them. I also caught a wild Gabite. And now my inventory is full of 7km eggs to run through. I will probably try to go jogging and mass hatch them all.

There were quite a few people out driving and playing Pokémon despite us being in the middle of our first snow storm of the season, finally.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm finally getting Riolus and I got a Gible on the second account. Then tonight I had a Gabite spawn nearby so I went out and caught it on both accounts. The IV were crap and still crap after trading it, but it was a good boost of candy.

I've been clearing out eggs as I get them but even after the event stops I'll have a good 12 or so left to hatch, so I'm not counting my chickens quite yet. Hoping for one that's actually good to power up, but I'll take a Lucario or two and a Garchomp either way.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A moment in this game just impressed the hell out of me! Been playing regularly for maybe 2-3 months but never seen anything like this.

I threw a Pokeball at a wild Piplup just now and it did its deflect animation - for Piplup it swats forward. Its hand smacked the ball back at my screen, the Pokeball bounced off my screen and square back at the Piplup, capturing it :O... Really wish I could have video captured it like you can do with PC games.

Had no idea the game was capable of that kind of thing. I guess I figured once the Pokeball is hit away by the wild it disables it permanently.

Shizza

Oct 27, 2017
A moment in this game just impressed the hell out of me! Been playing regularly for maybe 2-3 months but never seen anything like this.

I threw a Pokeball at a wild Piplup just now and it did its deflect animation - for Piplup it swats forward. Its hand smacked the ball back at my screen, the Pokeball bounced off my screen and square back at the Piplup, capturing it :O... Really wish I could have video captured it like you can do with PC games.

Had no idea the game was capable of that kind of thing. I guess I figured once the Pokeball is hit away by the wild it disables it permanently.
As you increase your friendship with a pokémon buddy, one of the bonuses is that occasionally it will assist in helping you catch by volleying a ball back at the pokémon you're trying to catch.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As you increase your friendship with a pokémon buddy, one of the bonuses is that occasionally it will assist in helping you catch by volleying a ball back at the pokémon you're trying to catch.
Interesting... So the screen itself isn't a reflective window like I was just assuming? It hit me dead on so it looked extremely convincing that it had happened. There's no indication its your buddy hitting it back?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
The volleyball move is so good! I hate walking around with an unlevelled buddy because I lose that move.

Interesting... So the screen itself isn't a reflective window like I was just assuming? It hit me dead on so it looked extremely convincing that it had happened. There's no indication its your buddy hitting it back?
You should see a little hand or tentacle or whatever, smack the ball back.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't notice anything of the sort but maybe it happened. Was just a ball bouncing around as far as I could tell.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It is not a glitch or a buddy, it is a trick shot that has been documented quite a bit:

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
My eggs...

5x Bonsly
11x Bronzor
3x Budew (1 shiny)
3x Buizel
1x Combee
1x Happiny
4x Hippopotas
4x Mantyke
2x Riolu
2x Shinx

I'll have 6 or 7 more to slowly hatch over the next week, but yikes, as of now that was rather disappointing. Caught 1 wild Gible, 2 wild Cranidos, and 0 Shieldon. The spawn pool was basically a CD redux for the starters and a handful of Sinnoh Pokemon that have been boosted in previous events.

You will keep your Sinnoh research challenges even after the event ends tonight correct?
The field research tasks? Yes.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
My eggs...

5x Bonsly
11x Bronzor
3x Budew (1 shiny)
3x Buizel
1x Combee
1x Happiny
4x Hippopotas
4x Mantyke
2x Riolu
2x Shinx

I'll have 6 or 7 more to slowly hatch over the next week, but yikes, as of now that was rather disappointing. Caught 1 wild Gible, 2 wild Cranidos, and 0 Shieldon. The spawn pool was basically a CD redux for the starters and a handful of Sinnoh Pokemon that have been boosted in previous events.
You had better luck than me at least (though you obviously used more incubators too). I used up the last of my Christmas incubators to hatch about 20 eggs (with 6 left over). The only good thing I hatched was a Riolu with bad IVs, everything else was trash. I also caught one wild Gible.

It's whatever though, I went into it with extremely low expectations and they were met by an event that ranged from garbage to great depending entirely on your luck.

ValtermcPires

Oct 30, 2017
Today is the first Pokémon GO Spotlight Hour. From 6pm to 7pm local time, a Pokémon will feature in increased spawns in your local area. Today, it's confirmed that today's Spotlight Hour focuses on the Pokémon Spoink.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Waaayyyyyy more spoink spawns than onix last week.
Yup, they even seemed to activate a lot of spawn points that weren't there previously (which once again confirms all the "we're looking into it" comments after the spawn nerf last year were bs). Though I only played for a few minutes because they didn't announce this week's one beforehand (the first I heard about it was when the notification popped up at 6pm) and I had other things to do.

hergipotter

Oct 28, 2017
Quick question about trade evolution: If you trade the pokemon in its first stage and then evolve it, will you still get the trade discount for evolving to the third stage? Or do you have to trade in second stage?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
They really should put a limit on the number of legendary Pokémon. I felt like ash against Tobias in one fight.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
It's really stupid not to have the rank depend on which league is played. I had a decent GL team, I have absolutely nothing and get wrecked in UL, though.
I won a couple of matches when Togekiss soloed everyone with Charm. That's my only UL-ready Pokemon and Giratina gets wrecked by it. I do have a Giratina so I guess I'd better power it up. I have no idea what else to use.

I wish I'd given Togekiss a second move while it was a baby.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
I went running and hatched all my eggs yesterday. One Gible... which I guess was my goal. I had a good day driving around, and working on the Rocket research, though. I had 3 of the Flying rare candy quests, so chasing down birds was fun, too.

I met a dude at a T5 raid whose daughter is trying to enter my school next year, so that was a fun conversation. Though, I don't understand how some parents can talk poorly about their kids. "At my school, I usually teach writing to the higher level classes." "Oh, you probably won't teach my daughter then because she's dumb." <_< Sometimes Japanese modesty comes off as either insults about yourself (or family) or a complete lack of self-confidence.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Togekiss is awesome in Ultra League. One guy had his Magmortar lose to my Blaziken, then sent out a Swampert to kill my Blaziken. After my rooster died I sent out Torterra, and he switched to Lucario. I switched to Togekiss and he immediately surrendered lmao.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I went running and hatched all my eggs yesterday. One Gible... which I guess was my goal. I had a good day driving around, and working on the Rocket research, though. I had 3 of the Flying rare candy quests, so chasing down birds was fun, too.

I met a dude at a T5 raid whose daughter is trying to enter my school next year, so that was a fun conversation. Though, I don't understand how some parents can talk poorly about their kids. "At my school, I usually teach writing to the higher level classes." "Oh, you probably won't teach my daughter then because she's dumb." <_< Sometimes Japanese modesty comes off as either insults about yourself (or family) or a complete lack of self-confidence.
Lol to be honest Chinese families do that stuff too. They tend to know whether their kids are good or bad at certain subjects.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Found a shiny Ponyta. It's gorgeous :)

When did PVP change to Ultra league? I don't have an ultra league team!
Yesterday.

It's expensive to prep, but it doesn't seem as difficult as I expected, at least yet. I put in about 215k to add moves and power up three non-legendary Pokemon, plus swapped moves on a weather-boosted Giratina-Altered. I've gone 12/15 so far (got another damned Meditite encounter, but also a 15/15/13 Oshawott, so at least one good thing). We'll see if it ends up littered with double-move legendaries. I mostly saw people using a single legendary at most.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Best advice to give for Ultra League: You don't necessarily need the legendaries that are most common, but you should probably think about running stuff that can counter them.

Lick + Body Slam/Outrage Snorlax I'd say is going to be a great choice especially against Giratina.
Charm + Flamethrower/Ancient Power Togekiss is also going to be really useful.

hergipotter

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a Giratina and my Snorlaxes and Togekiss are not ready for ultra league. Currently I'm using a Blissey, Guardevoir and Aggron with quite good results. Blissey is such a tank with 380HP, you don't need to waste any shields on it.
On the other hand, I'm only at rank 6 now so things might turn around soon...

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a Giratina and my Snorlaxes and Togekiss are not ready for ultra league. Currently I'm using a Blissey, Guardevoir and Aggron with quite good results. Blissey is such a tank with 380HP, you don't need to waste any shields on it.
On the other hand, I'm only at rank 6 now so things might turn around soon...
You are going to get I trouble because Blissy has limited offensive option while Snorlax has some good moves

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just tearing through Ultra League. People keep using Giratina and my Togekiss keeps eating them for dinner. One poor guy was using both Giratina and Rayquaza. Poor mons...

Also, someone I faced had zero plans to stand up to Counter/Blaze Blast Blaziken. They sent out a Lapras that only had Ice moves, switched that to a Magnezone that went down in moments, then to a Dialga that had to take a Blaze Blast right to its face since I'd already eaten through their shields, then back to that Lapras. I shielded their charge move just for fun, to make it 3-0. Hopefully they plan around types in the future. A very painful lesson.

Plenty of people use Swampert to try and curb that, only to run right into my Torterra. *evil laugh*

Melkaz

Oct 26, 2017
Had my first 5/5 today with a Snorlax, Gengar and Gyarados. Did not expect that in Ultra league since I was off to a rocky start. Leveling the Snorlax and giving it Lick+Body slam did wonders. It's amazing to not shield the first attacks and the big guy takes it like a boss. Even going 2 vs 3 is still easy doable if you have the shield advantage. Guess players are more tactical with shields once you hit rank 8+.

However I do feel that Gengar is not really pulling his weight.Any suggestions here? The 5/5 was good but I tend to go 3/5 more often than 4/5 or better. Please note that I came back a few months ago and I barely have any legendaries. No Giratina here :( When I came back we had 2 months of Evee's with hats as break throughs. Then I read that in 2018 and early 2019 it always contained legendaries. And now I had eevee..Lapras and Woobat haha

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I intentionally went 0/5 to see if it made me drop below rank 7, but it didn't. Can you only rank up? At least I made 5 people happy by instantly quitting.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Had my first 5/5 today with a Snorlax, Gengar and Gyarados. Did not expect that in Ultra league since I was off to a rocky start. Leveling the Snorlax and giving it Lick+Body slam did wonders. It's amazing to not shield the first attacks and the big guy takes it like a boss. Even going 2 vs 3 is still easy doable if you have the shield advantage. Guess players are more tactical with shields once you hit rank 8+.

However I do feel that Gengar is not really pulling his weight.Any suggestions here? The 5/5 was good but I tend to go 3/5 more often than 4/5 or better. Please note that I came back a few months ago and I barely have any legendaries. No Giratina here :( When I came back we had 2 months of Evee's with hats as break throughs. Then I read that in 2018 and early 2019 it always contained legendaries. And now I had eevee..Lapras and Woobat haha
If you've got some community day mons, Counter/Blast Burn Blaziken is good, as is Frenzy Plant Torterra. Earth Power Flygon is a good cheap Ground Pokemon, but you'd have to be extra careful with rock moves cause of your Gyarados. We're about to have Rhyhorn day, which should give you plenty of great Rhyperior, and with some planning, you should have one to qualify for this league.