• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Melkaz

Oct 26, 2017
If you've got some community day mons, Counter/Blast Burn Blaziken is good, as is Frenzy Plant Torterra. Earth Power Flygon is a good cheap Ground Pokemon, but you'd have to be extra careful with rock moves cause of your Gyarados. We're about to have Rhyhorn day, which should give you plenty of great Rhyperior, and with some planning, you should have one to qualify for this league.

Good tips! Sadly both my blaz and tort are around 1500 CP and double bad moves however I do have a decent rhyperior. Which moves do you suggest?

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Not sure if I want to commit to a UL team because that'd cost me a lot of dust. The only one in the gamepress guide I have ready is Swampert.

I actually went out for that Spoink hour yesterday because it's one of my most wanted shinies... I was able to catch about 150 (crazy spawns) but still no shiny, at 900+ checks :(

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good tips! Sadly both my blaz and tort are around 1500 CP and double bad moves however I do have a decent rhyperior. Which moves do you suggest?
As Guppeth states, I'm not sure either if Rhyperior is good, but it would be cheap to do. Probably not cheap on your charge TMs though *grumble*

With Giratina currently dominating the field right now for some reason, Fairy, Dark and Ice types might be good bets. Glaceon is a little fragile, but Weavile might be a strong choice, since fighting types don't seem like they're being used much right now. Same for Tyranitar, although that's hardly a cheap option. Depending on where you live, Houndoom might be another cheap option, although it still has that fragility problem. Fairy types are sadly lacking right now, besides Togekiss. I did see someone running a Clefable - but I'm not sure I'd recommend that.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
As Guppeth states, I'm not sure either if Rhyperior is good, but it would be cheap to do. Probably not cheap on your charge TMs though *grumble*

With Giratina currently dominating the field right now for some reason, Fairy, Dark and Ice types might be good bets. Glaceon is a little fragile, but Weavile might be a strong choice, since fighting types don't seem like they're being used much right now. Same for Tyranitar, although that's hardly a cheap option. Depending on where you live, Houndoom might be another cheap option, although it still has that fragility problem. Fairy types are sadly lacking right now, besides Togekiss. I did see someone running a Clefable - but I'm not sure I'd recommend that.
Clefable is great. I'm getting one ready. It has Charm, which absolutely wrecks, and it can learn Meteor Mash.

edit: I want to level my Togekiss further and use it in master league, and Clefable will take its spot in UL.

Last edited:

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Clefable is great. I'm getting one ready. It has Charm, which absolutely wrecks, and it can learn Meteor Mash.

edit: I want to level my Togekiss further and use it in master league, and Clefable will take its spot in UL.
Ah, didn't know that about Clefable. Seems like a sensible alternative then. How's it's bulk? I've already got a high CP Togekiss for Master/Raids, but I might consider a Clefable if the benefits are higher than Togekiss.

Shit, in this current metagame, you could probably get away with running both + something to counter steel types.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Ah, didn't know that about Clefable. Seems like a sensible alternative then. How's it's bulk? I've already got a high CP Togekiss for Master/Raids, but I might consider a Clefable if the benefits are higher than Togekiss.

Shit, in this current metagame, you could probably get away with running both + something to counter steel types.
It's sturdy. It will be expensive though, because even at level 40 it's just below 2500CP.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I went 0/5 in Ultra League, probably won't play PVP again until it switches back to Great League. Rewards aren't nearly good enough for this.

All five teams were Giratina/Mewtwo/who knows because I never saw the third. I even brought counters (Play Rough Ursaring did alright against Giratina) near the end but they charge Dragon Claw and Psystrike faster than I've ever seen fast moves charge. Like raining those moves down on me, didn't matter if I resisted them if they charge in one second.

Not really looking to dump all my stardust on this either, after spending a ton on Great League. I'll slowly build up to Ultra and try next time I guess.

Though, it makes me wonder what their plan to keep these populated with players is? In Great League, I went 32/35, and in Ultra the opposite. Seems swingy/unbalanced enough that most people will just check out and drop the mode, and if it were balanced you'd only win 2.5/5 matches and never get good rewards.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I already see far, far more Giratina counters than actual Giratina. The meta basically changes every day, making it super expensive to try to stay ahead of the curve. Since every battle is blind, all you can do is invest and hope that you've accurately guessed what the majority/plurality of players will be leaning on that day.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I just went 4/5 almost entirely with Togekiss, and it has Dazzling Gleam which takes forever to charge so it mostly won with fast moves. Some poor sap saw it, immediately swapped to Giratina, then when that died brought out a Gengar.

I do have a Giratina but it's only 2000CP and I have no rare candy. I still use it as I have no other good options. I'm also using my Alolan Muk which is also under levelled with a crap charged move. Togekiss makes up for it.

hergipotter

Oct 28, 2017
Just went 5/5 with Guardevoir, Togekiss (both with Charme) and Blissey LOL. Only one guy had a Giratina but no fight was even close. Charme is just too strong. Now onto rank 7...
Btw can you get Sinnoh stones from battle rewards?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm desperate for Grimer and Clefairy candy (and stardust obvs). It feels weird but it has made the game more interesting.

I battle almost daily but haven't gotten one in ages. Also I did not find a single research task during the sinnoh event... :/ Would have been cool to have another source.
I have an alt account so I do three daily battles without fail, and have done for the past three months. Yesterday I was confused because my alt was really struggling for inventory space and didn't have a lot of balls or potions. Scrolled down... 55 Sinnoh Stones! So you're just unlucky if you aren't getting them from battles.

Last edited:

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Just went 5/5 with Guardevoir, Togekiss (both with Charme) and Blissey LOL. Only one guy had a Giratina but no fight was even close. Charme is just too strong. Now onto rank 7...
Btw can you get Sinnoh stones from battle rewards?
Yes, you can get Sinnoh stones from the 2nd win slot in the free track (or 1st slot in premium). I've received several.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
So I've finished my task today and claimed the 7 day reward (but not caught Woobat - choosing to start the encounter later)

If I catch him tomorrow (for double candy), will I fall a day behind on my tasks or can I do a task tomorrow and count for Friday?

Zaphod79

Nov 9, 2017
As long as you've claimed the reward then you can just leave it to catch - where your forced to do something else will be in 1 weeks time when your second weekly encounter shows up because you cant claim it until you've done the first one and from that point you then cant earn another stamp (because you need to claim the weekly first)

When the weekly was a 'big' legendary I often used to leave it for a few days and just pop red balls at it when i had a '3 great in a row' or similar quests as stuff like Groudon was perfect for that.

Zaphod79

Nov 9, 2017
For the Battle stuff right now my team is Snorlax (with Lick and Return) / a community day Torterra / and Girantina

Snorlax is a great lead because he beats Girantina , and a lot of people lead with a Girantina counter and he beats almost all of those

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I actually went 5 for 5 last night with a Togekiss, Venusaur, Snorlax team. I'm not even using the best Togekiss setup, since I don't want to use TMs and thus have Ancient Power as my charge move.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
As long as you've claimed the reward then you can just leave it to catch - where your forced to do something else will be in 1 weeks time when your second weekly encounter shows up because you cant claim it until you've done the first one and from that point you then cant earn another stamp (because you need to claim the weekly first)

When the weekly was a 'big' legendary I often used to leave it for a few days and just pop red balls at it when i had a '3 great in a row' or similar quests as stuff like Groudon was perfect for that.
Sorry I'm a little confused. I want to collect a Friday stamp. Can I collect a stamp the same day I encounter Woobat?

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry I'm a little confused. I want to collect a Friday stamp. Can I collect a stamp the same day I encounter Woobat?
You can keep collecting stamps each day, they just won't show on the screen.

When did TSR change their egg page? I really like it, particularly the way you can toggle regionals on/off and they're showing the AS pool (though it's not like that's been hard to remember since it hasn't changed for over a year).

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Speaking of Sinnoh stones, I've had almost blown them all on the Cranidos quests when I realized that Rhyhorn CD is right around the corner and I need some for that lol

I'm up at 7 again but I want some more in case the CD move is really awesome.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Took some advice from here and powered up my best Snorlax (goodbye 200k stardust) and won my first Ultra league match. But it was also the first that wasn't Giratina, but still promising.

Edit: Ended up going 4/5 with Snorlax, Shadow Ball Mewtwo, and Ursaring. Lost the fifth because I played poorly (tapped too fast and did a double switch). So after swearing off the mode now I don't mind it (because I have an op Mon lol)

Last edited:

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool Safari Zone tickets are actually 50% more expensive than advertised.

ASA are going to tear Niantic a new one over this.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else just gotten frustrated with battling to the point they don't anymore? It seems like everyone I fight somehow magically has charge moves that they can pop off every second fast move, and sometimes it seems like they can shield more than twice.

Edit: Also, how in the heck did Rhyhorn win the CD vote? Rhyhorns have been like weeds over the past couple months, to the point that even from my meager hunting I've got two Rhyperiors, a Rhydon, and enough candy to evolve that Rhydon and one more of the Rhyhorns I've got. I did notice that during the "vote" I only ever got Dratini or Rhyhorn researches, so was it rigged from the beginning? (If it had been down to just an actual poll, I'd have gone with Machop, maybe Dratini.)

Oct 25, 2017
team go rocket is more annoying than anything

i honestly don't care about fighting them anymore

it's super annoying and just a drain on resources for little or no gain

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Edit: Also, how in the heck did Rhyhorn win the CD vote? Rhyhorns have been like weeds over the past couple months, to the point that even from my meager hunting I've got two Rhyperiors, a Rhydon, and enough candy to evolve that Rhydon and one more of the Rhyhorns I've got. I did notice that during the "vote" I only ever got Dratini or Rhyhorn researches, so was it rigged from the beginning? (If it had been down to just an actual poll, I'd have gone with Machop, maybe Dratini.)
When you train your playerbase that shinies are new content, Rhyhorn is the only one that would give people 3 new shinies for their collection.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I haven't won a single leader battle yet. I get exactly the Pokemon the guides say will counter them, waste stardust and candy leveling them up, yet still always lose with them just having a sliver of health left.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019

It's okay. It's usually piss easy (beside that Lapras one) and you basically trade a few potions for 500 stardust. It takes too much time, though, so I only do it when I've got time and it's on the way.

Rhyhorn really was the obvious and best choice. A CD attack that could make it very meta relevant and it's a new shiny form that's released.

Your point against Rhyhorn can also be made against Machop. It's been an event spawn, has been in research tasks forever and you can even get Machamp from easy 3* raids. Machamp is also outclassed by Lucario and Conkeldurr by now and the CD attack would only provide coverage for PVP. I would have been excited for Machop CD as well but it's understandable why Rhyhorn won.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else just gotten frustrated with battling to the point they don't anymore? It seems like everyone I fight somehow magically has charge moves that they can pop off every second fast move, and sometimes it seems like they can shield more than twice.
Some fast moves do amass energy really quickly, and you can overcharge so it could be people overcharging and then unleashing two in quick succession.

There is apparently a bug where using a shield isn't registered against your shield count, so people can sometimes get an extra.

For people who've been playing for a long time, Rhyhorn was the more interesting one because it's getting a superior move. Dratini has already had a Community Day, and the holiday redux. The moves for Dratini, Machop, and Vulpix were at best only going to be interesting for niche PVP stuff.

Yeah, I haven't won a single leader battle yet. I get exactly the Pokemon the guides say will counter them, waste stardust and candy leveling them up, yet still always lose with them just having a sliver of health left.
Do you TM to the ideal moves? Are you using general counters or ones specific to the lineups you encounter?[/quote][/QUOTE]

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Bug Pokémon in rocket leader fights are the hardest part. I really need to level that moltres more.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or are their basically no Chansey in the wild?

Please tell me the shiny rate is super high.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
For anyone just starting into this event, that Alolamolaallsldlfl research task (catch 14 Luvdisk) doesn't seem very worth it. I've picked up 3 to be done with that Pokemon forever but I've seen like 4 wild Alolamaolaola nearby while completing the research.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Oh whoops. I loaded up on Hatch 3 eggs quests thinking those were the Chansey quests.

Chansey seems more common in the wild than Garyados or Gible from the last few weekends. I caught 4 or 5 yesterday without trying.

I also caught a wild Amololola while catching Luvdiscs.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Oh whoops. I loaded up on Hatch 3 eggs quests thinking those were the Chansey quests.

Chansey seems more common in the wild than Garyados or Gible from the last few weekends. I caught 4 or 5 yesterday without trying.

I also caught a wild Amololola while catching Luvdiscs.
If you claim those Lickitung tasks during the raid day hours, you get a good chance at a shiny, though.

And the 3 Rare Candy for 7 different flying types,even though it is a bit more difficult now.
It's awesome if you have windy weather, otherwise it's hard. And I wouldn't bother with it during this weekend tbh.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
What were you hoping would win? Because when you stack them up against each other it was pretty obvious why Rhyhorn won:
Rhyhorn: 3 new shinies, new special move which should be meta relevant
Vulpix: 2 new shinies, 2 old shinies in research, PvP relevant move
Machop: 3 old shinies, PvP relevant move
Dratini: 3 old shinies, PvP relevant move, already had a community day

And no, there was no "rigging." There were plenty of other people who barely got any Rhyhorn tasks and declared it must've been rigged it in one of the other's favour when in reality it was just RNG due to the dumb way Niantic decided to do the vote.

Only worthwhile quest right now is Beat 3 Go Rocket Grunts for a Chansey.
TBH I don't really see the point in trying to hunt Chansey with the low shiny rate it appears to have. Given how rare Chansey spawns are, I really thought it'd be one of those 1/64 shiny rate Pokemon like Sneasel, Scyther, Gligar, etc. But I guess Niantic just had to give it lower odds than Happiny so they could incentivise their incubator bullshit.

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
My luck seems to be better in between events. Of the 7km eggs I had prior to today I hatched a shiny Alolan Meowth. Certainly didn't expect that to be a thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
Speaking of shinies I just caught a Shiny Scyther with decent stats. I was like I hope it' s shiny and bam. Shiny Scyther. 3 Stars. Makes up for the crappy shiny Moltres I traded for.