• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paradoxes shown before launch or after?

• Before

Votes: 145 41.9%
  • After

Votes: 201 58.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
The only things I feel like it could do is unlock a higher shiny chance or maybe higher IVs.

Also the talk of difficulty reminded me of this shot from the Japanese overview. It's highly likely this should be a 3v1 Alpha battle, right?
Probably, engaging an alpha near 2 other wild pokemon near it should trigger a 3v1

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
The player has a Galaxy Team rank which gates story progress and requires the player to complete research to increase it. Each research box is worth 10 points and each completed Pokedex entry is worth 100 points. There are also side quests that require the player to show NPCs completed dex entries in exchange for items or sometimes features.
Are you just talking about hitting research level 10 as complete? Because we're talking about going beyond that and completely filling out all the check marks.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding the "battle facility," it's just Ingo hosting rematches with a few characters at the outdoor arena in Jubilife. It's like the League rematches in SwSh, but you pick one character to fight, and the list includes what I think are a few generic NPCs. Pokémon aren't standardized to Lv 50, the opponents have their own levels and you gain exp.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
I think what is being lost in these "difficulty" conversations is that, IMO, the more important thing is a lack of depth. Building a team is much less interesting in this because there's so much less to consider without abilities and held items. Even if it's technically harder to mash through some of the 2v1 wild encounters than a trainer battle in the mainline series, there is much less room for skill expression and creativity here. You can easily mash through most mainline games with just your starter but it still can be fun to come up with cool combos and team synergies.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I think what is being lost in these "difficulty" conversations is that, IMO, the more important thing is a lack of depth. Building a team is much less interesting in this because there's so much less to consider without abilities and held items. Even if it's technically harder to mash through some of the 2v1 wild encounters than a trainer battle in the mainline series, there is much less room for skill expression and creativity here. You can easily mash through most mainline games with just your starter but it still can be fun to come up with cool combos and team synergies.

Pokemon's issue is that the depth only really exists in the multiplayer. You have no need to think about any of that stuff in the single player rpg portion.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
Pokemon's issue is that the depth only really exists in the multiplayer. You have no need to think about any of that stuff in the single player rpg portion.
Right, but here it's not even present even if you do want to engage with it just to make things more interesting or rewarding. Everything is basically just a stat stick with varying levels of coverage.

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020

This might be quite subjective, but to me, what you described are different situation that highlight some pros and cons of the two different approaches.

While I do like the seemingly harder challenged compared to the average trainer battles, I'll definitely miss not having abilities and held items to build up my team (although I disagree that it won't be fun to build up one in PLA); while I like having to consider the several abilities of different Pokèmon, and how they could create some interesting combos and sinergy and using held times, it doesn't change the fact that I want the trainer battles to be harder in the traditional games, because the fights being so easy detracts to the team building. And it gets even more frustating when even the harder fights are rendered trivial by something like the affection mechanic (as in BDSP).

In the end, I hope that in the next Legends game they'll add held items and abilities, and that in Gen 9 games they'll find a way to make the average trainer battles harder (or adding difficulty levels...sight); but to me, you're describing different things, which I think should be present in both kind of games going forward.

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020
Right, but here it's not even present even if you do want to engage with it just to make things more interesting or rewarding. Everything is basically just a stat stick with varying levels of coverage.

I'd say there still needs to be some decision to make in terms of moveset, to enter in synergy with the Styles, but I do agree that the battle system could've been more fun with abilities and held items.

I don't think, though, that anyone disagrees that those should've been in.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

well it's just multiple ways to hit a piñata at a certain point. I'm hoping with this game the piñata grabs a stat stick and starts hitting back. While it would be fine if abilities and held items were here, I don't think it implicitly needs it to be a more entertaining experience from a single player point of view. Should they have it? Probably would be better yeah. Am I more excited for this game from a difficulty perspective despite the lack of these options? Absolutely.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
The freedom is nice but it usually feels pointless to me, I end the battle slightly faster? Or with slightly less damage taken? There usually isn't much of a payoff to strategizing because the opponent is going to lose regardless.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Fewer but more meaningful trainer battles has been my wish for a long time, they're a drag most of the times and just act as filler and interruptions. Legends looks much more pleasant to play considering the seamlessness of battles and the open environments not filled with mandatory trainer battles that have to load in a different screen all the time

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Nothing inherently wrong with that, honestly, depending on how it's balanced. SMT demons are basically just all stat sticks with varying levels of coverage and resistances and that combat system is more fun than any Pokemon game's (when talking solely about single player).

Obviously it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, and I do think abilities and items should still be in since more complexity in a turn-based system is never a bad thing imo, but it's not like they're integral to the single player experience, which is all this game is. I mostly play Pokemon for the single player campaigns and I rarely care much about either

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding the Alphas, can you catch them as is right out of the gate? I know there's the Obey Cap that depends on your Galaxy Ranking, but it would be nice to know you can catch Alphas out of the gate if you wish to, in contrast to Sw/Sh which made it impossible to catch higher level pokemon until you have enough badges to do.

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020
Regarding the Alphas, can you catch them as is right out of the gate? I know there's the Obey Cap that depends on your Galaxy Ranking, but it would be nice to know you can catch Alphas out of the gate if you wish to, in contrast to Sw/Sh which made it impossible to catch higher level pokemon until you have enough badges to do.
Based on an earlier post, it seems you can.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
You can catch then but they have a very low catch rate of they're higher level than you past a certain threshold I think

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
It makes sense to me that they've pulled some complexity out, it's a pretty distinct battle system in hindsight. Pulling some of the complexity out lets them get a better view of the system, and they can add it in for future iterations. I agree, it's unfortunate especially basic abilities, but I get it.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I lowkey enjoyed Let's Go without abilities for the single player part, and look forward to the other changes that are also seemingly geared toward making a more streamlined single player experience

I would imagine that if they do add abilities back into hypothetical future Legends games that they would work totally differently than the regular games

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are you just talking about hitting research level 10 as complete? Because we're talking about going beyond that and completely filling out all the check marks.
So far the only reason I can see for filling in every box is to grind more Galaxy Team ranks. I have no idea if there's a reward for filling out a single Pokemon's page, much less every Pokemon's page.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of excited to have completion requirements for Pokedex.

I have a bad habit of sticking to the first 6 Pokemon I catch in Pokemon games, unless I need another one for HM's/ typing, so this makes sure I'm constantly switching out Pokemon to get their completion up, which is kind of exciting to me.

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020
To be honest I lowkey enjoyed Let's Go without abilities for the single player part, and look forward to the other changes that are also seemingly geared toward making a more streamlined single player experience

I would imagine that if they do add abilities back into hypothetical future Legends games that they would work totally differently than the regular games
I wouldn't mind if they reworked abilities in a different way for future Legends game.

I know this was posted to show the horrible pop-up, but what's the golden mark on the left?

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
SPOILER_Screenshot_20220122-164335.png

Joeshabadoo

Jan 3, 2019
Just another person popping in to compliment what I've heard thus far of the OST based upon the new Tetris 99 theme. Sounds like a real vibe. Getting more excited

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As a Gen IV baby I'm getting spoiled rotten with back-to-back remixes of DPPt tracks from both this game and BDSP. Music is so good.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
so
Legend Plate works like this
when u use Judgment, Arceus's own type changes to being SE against the target
in this case, the Arceus is up against Zam
when it uses judgment, it turns into a dark type
stays dark type
and then changes to fairy type against machamp when it uses judgment again"

Also I saw clips of the fight. It looked pretty tough

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
so
Legend Plate works like this
when u use Judgment, Arceus's own type changes to being SE against the target
in this case, the Arceus is up against Zam
when it uses judgment, it turns into a dark type
stays dark type
and then changes to fairy type against machamp when it uses judgment again"

Also I saw clips of the fight. It looked pretty tough
How is it laid out? Is it like a Noble fight or just a straight battle?

Also, what are the specific requirements? See every Pokemon, catch every Pokemon, or have every Pokemon "registered" in the Pokedex (i.e. complete enough of the tasks to get the Pokeball mark on the entry?)

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Ball guy saying the final fight lags the console like we don't know the guy playing uses an emulator

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
How is it laid out? Is it like a Noble fight or just a straight battle?

Also, what are the specific requirements? See every Pokemon, catch every Pokemon, or have every Pokemon "registered" in the Pokedex (i.e. complete enough of the tasks to get the Pokeball mark on the entry?)
Looks like he had every dex entry recorded(10 tasks etc) and it was a noble fight he was doing aoes, dropping meters and lasers etc

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
So no new form after all huh 😐
Ultra Necrozma remains the superior flashy legendary

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
While this is definitely fake, it's kinda believable (from 4chan)

On February 17th, a Pokémon Presents will air.
>Pokémon Go
Some kind of Alola event is announced for March
>Pokémon Unite
Licenses of Aegislash, Luxray and Melmetal is coming to the game
>Pokémon Café ReMix
>Pokémon Masters EX
>Pokémon Sleep
It's finally revealed to be coming this year.
>Pokémon Stadium Max
It'll be coming in late 2022
>Pokémon Legends: Arceus Expansion Pass
The expansion pass will have new areas to explore with new Pokémon. Speaking of Pokémon, 3 new Hisuian forms are revealed in the presents. Those being Hisuian Absol, Hisuian Salandit and Hisuian Salazzle. They'll say that there will be more Hisuian forms a more new Pokémon coming as well. And... The PokéDex will be expanded! Including Pokémon from Gen 5, 6, 7 and 8! The expansion pass will release in August.
>the next generation of Pokémon
They will tease that the next generation of Pokémon is in the works. No date is given.

I think they will tease Gen 9 but give no further details

Status
Not open for further replies.