• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which will you throw in the PC Storage first?

• Pikachu

Votes: 590 16.2%
  • Eevee

Votes: 571 15.7%
  • Your hopes and dreams

Votes: 2,083 57.4%
  • Jmon

Votes: 387 10.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More like this is an attempt to view players as idiots who are incapable of simple problem-solving tasks like figuring out which type is not very/super/effective against other types.

There are much better ways to teach the type chart than what Game Freak ultimately chose.

I mean that sort of hand holding isn't too far off from Sun and Moon. I hope next year's game will do away with some of that bs but I don't have my hopes up. Either way I'm going to play Let's Go. I am interested in how the changes will feel and I think it'll be better than people believe right now.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
So gonna requote myself from the other thread since idk how many people are frequenting both.

Ok bear with me gotta Pokenerd some more, here are some updated base stat ranges for Pikachu in light of the realization that it has a Lonely nature. I made the ranges assuming little to no EVs and max IVs, so but the final stats will probably be different!

Fantasy base stats (assuming a Lonely nature like the picture posted below, and stat ranges assuming little to no EVs and perfect IVs)

HP: 35 -> 41-54
Attack: 55 -> 85 - 90
Defense 40 -> 46-51
Special Attack 50 -> 79-84
Special Defense 50 -> 63-67
Speed 90 -> 124-128

So basically, a combination of different exp growth (this Pikachu is medium-slow, normally its medium-fast), impossible stats, and seeming lack of a lot of EVs (and also confirmation of Natures btw, its Lonely) makes it seem to me like the starter Pikachu (and likely Eevee) is a different forme than the normal Pokemon, with radically different stats. I guess this is how they make up for the lack of evolution! Hope these formes are in gen 8 (and I also hope it gets more than 130 base speed and that this doesn't have perfect IVs in the demo so its faster than Tapu Koko lol), it'd make Pikachu actually usable for once!

digifire

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who considers himself quite a hardcore fan of Pokemon in general (if that's even a thing one can be) I'm taking this game as a cool distraction with some neat ideas to tide me over until the 2019 title. The problem with GO wasn't the catching mechanics, it was it's terrible battle system and gyms so I'm cautiously optimistic for how this'll turn out.
So gonna requote myself from the other thread since idk how many people are frequenting both.

So basically, a combination of different exp growth (this Pikachu is medium-slow, normally its medium-fast), impossible stats, and seeming lack of a lot of EVs (and also confirmation of Natures btw, its Lonely) makes it seem to me like the starter Pikachu (and likely Eevee) is a different forme than the normal Pokemon, with radically different stats. I guess this is how they make up for the lack of evolution! Hope these formes are in gen 8 (and I also hope it gets more than 130 base speed and that this doesn't have perfect IVs in the demo so its faster than Tapu Koko lol), it'd make Pikachu actually usable for once!
This would be great since I really don't love any gen 1 eeveelutions; but enjoy having an Espeon, Umbreon, or Sylveon in all of my teams ever since Pokemon XD, so a buffed Eevee would make for a good substitue of those.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean that sort of hand holding isn't too far off from Sun and Moon. I hope next year's game will do away with some of that bs but I don't have my hopes up. Either way I'm going to play Let's Go. I am interested in how the changes will feel and I think it'll be better than people believe right now.

That's a different kind of handholding though. The problem with Sun and Moon's handholding is the game never gave you the freedom to go explore because cutscenes and dialogue constantly broke the momentum of the player trying to explore. Not to mention, you were always told where to go and there wasn't much deviance allowed in where you were going. Compare this, where the game seems to be playing itself as opposed to allowing you to figure things out for yourself.

I hope everyone who shat all over wild battles appreciates their new method of leveling up and repeatedly doing this catching mini-game for exp.

I saw this coming a mile away, and it was doubly hilarious to see people argue against wild battles by saying it cuts down on grinding. Primarily because you're STILL going to be grinding by catching multiple waste of Pokemon as opposed to beating them.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
mSkNcZz.jpg

lol

There are better ways to teach the basics about type matching than forcing someone to catch a type he/she doesnt want at the moment.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Can anyone that is attending e3 this year and going to the pokemon booth try if you can trow the pokeball with a button with one joycon?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There are better ways to teach the basics about type matching than forcing someone to catch a type he/she doesnt want at the moment.
Didn't the past games just straight up tell you what the gym leaders are weak against? Like what is the point in forcing you to do this. Especially when Pikachu learns a fighting move. Eevee probably learns double kick too.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a different kind of handholding though. The problem with Sun and Moon's handholding is the game never gave you the freedom to go explore because cutscenes and dialogue constantly broke the momentum of the player trying to explore. Not to mention, you were always told where to go and there wasn't much deviance allowed in where you were going. Compare this, where the game seems to be playing itself as opposed to allowing you to figure things out for yourself.

I saw this coming a mile away, and it was doubly hilarious to see people argue against wild battles by saying it cuts down on grinding. Primarily because you're STILL going to be grinding by catching multiple waste of Pokemon as opposed to beating them.

Certainly. I'm not saying they're the same. The implication in the wording at the gym is that this will be a one time thing, where Brock's gym and everything leading up to it are treated as an extended tutorial. Rock is a tough type to deal with at the beginning if you're a novice. If they turn you loose after that then I'm all for it. We'll see though.

I had also hoped that grinding would be cut down without wild battles, but if the alternative is catching a ton to grind then I'm not sure if that's a better alternative. Although the one positive is that PP will be reserved solely for trainer battles. Not having enough PP to battle trainers was always a pet peeve of mine, especially later in the game where moves get stronger with fewer PP. So that's the silver lining I suppose.

Didn't the past games just straight up tell you what the gym leaders are weak against? Like what is the point in forcing you to do this. Especially when Pikachu learns a fighting move. Eevee probably learns double kick too.

Yes. Which was more than sufficient. And if Pikachu and Eevee potentially learn a fighting move then forcing a grass type on somebody isn't exactly cool. There aren't a whole lot of grass types I actually like and in gen 1 it's basically Exeggutor and Venusaur. If I could get Bellosom then I'd use Oddish but that won't be the case here.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
As did I. I still can't believe people are really happy wild pokemon battles are gone for this. When something as core to a game as battling wild pokemon is in pokemon is removed then it creates multiple problems that you didn't know you had. This is a pokemon game that removed a core mechanic and replaced it with a mini game that will get tired rather quickly.

Another question that needs to be answered is that if you can only battle trainers and gym leaders once and there are no wild encounters then once you beat the elite 4, running back the elite 4 will be the only pokemon battles left in the game?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I'm treating this game as "see Kanto in 3D and just goof around" and that's it. That said, some of yall are blowing catch a water or grass type out of proportion. Shit is not a big deal.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They did but the onus was on the player to actually talk to the gym guides, NPC and experiment during battles, it wasn't until Black and White where they actively taught the basic to the players even going so far to giving the Pan monkey to assist them in gym battle though again it was up to the player to go and get it.

In Let's go they just decided to make sure that the player at least had the Pokémon required to defeat Brock which is understandable as neither Pikachu nor Eevee are going to cut it.

Of course this is assuming that gym battle will be challenging or dirt easy.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the water/grass Pokemon image.

I normally wouldn't mind, but the Kanto Pokedex is so small and there's very few options for a grass or a water type prior to Brock.

True, getting water Pokémon in the original was a pain as unless you started with Squirtle or fished for a Magikarp, you were out of luck till much later in the game. Then seeing that they have moved Bulbasaur and Oddish does make me think that they may have moved some Pokémon around, especially if the Safari park has been replaced as there some Pokémon exclusive to the park.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
T

Nah this game is going to be super easy, since it'll be using more modern Pokemon move sets a decent set of STAB moves will handle NPC trainers and worst comes to worst use the Co Op Feature to completely destroy every fight in the game.

No Pokemon game has ever required grinding

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Have the gone into detail about how much you have to use Pikachu/Eevee?

Do they have to be in your battle party, or can they still chill on your head/shoulder without being there?

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
Really happy I got it, I was going to go for the Pokeball version anyways. Apparently it's gone now, that went really quickly.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Managed to snag one right before Wario64 tweeted it,
I'm definitely happy now to have it. I was gonna get it whether it's $100 or not. However, if they honor the price I'm gonna be super happy. Day 1, especially with the Mew.
I wanted Eevee Edition, but oh well!

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
I heard you are able to find Butterfree in the wild. Can someone post a screenshot showing Butterfree in Viridian?

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
Got one but no faith it'll be honored. Too much time between now and release.

The only Amazon errors I've received are ones that ship right away before they catch the error.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Managed to snag one right before Wario64 tweeted it,
I'm definitely happy now to have it. I was gonna get it whether it's $100 or not. However, if they honor the price I'm gonna be super happy. Day 1, especially with the Mew.
I wanted Eevee Edition, but oh well!
90 percent sure they'll honor it as long as you don't do anything drastic to the order. They're really good at honoring these price errors as long as it isn't anything extreme like a 4K UHD TV for $150 lol.
Pretty much how I felt, but I'm not gonna complain for that price
Oh yeah definitely. Eevee was the one I wanted but at that price it's like I'm paying for just the Pokeball Plus and getting the whole game and Mew for free!

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
90 percent sure they'll honor it as long as you don't do anything drastic to the order. They're really good at honoring these price errors as long as it isn't anything extreme like a 4K UHD TV for $150 lol.

Yep!
If the Eevee Edition comes up for the same price, definitely cancelling the Pikachu one. Until then, Pikachu is the one I'm going with. I definitely feel you though, we're basically getting the game and a free Mew. I'm super stoked now for this game.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like kids won't know how to progress after this and will drop the game.

Hell, beating Brock with Pokemon that aren't strong against Oynx probably makes more sense to them. Remember, some kids can't read just yet, or proficiently enough. They would legit have to force this scene into the anime just so kids have an idea.