• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which will you throw in the PC Storage first?

• Pikachu

Votes: 590 16.2%
  • Eevee

Votes: 571 15.7%
  • Your hopes and dreams

Votes: 2,083 57.4%
  • Jmon

Votes: 387 10.7%

• Total voters

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Eurogamer interview is kinda terrifying.
Masuda does insist, many times, that this game is for kids, which is fine, we knew. (Stupid kids, though, but that's another discussion.)

The questions were very good, in particular:

What would you say to those players who are crying out for a bit more of a challenge, maybe adult players who've been playing for these 20 years or who got into it a bit later? Should they wait for next year's RPG instead?

The answer is worrying.
I mean, the interviewer tries to nudge Masuda toward a reassuring answer, "just wait for next year guys!" but... it never comes.
No reassurance. Just "you can fight a Grimer Master Trainer, my dudes!".

Because they want you to buy this game, they're not going to tell you to wait for next year.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A Gen 8 reveal feels like it would come around May when peoples eyes will be on pokemon with the Detective Pikachu movie.

(Also it's when the most people play Pokemon Go because it's Summer and warm as well).

Would come out October/November same year since they've been consistant on hitting that time frame to be in time for Black Friday.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Eurogamer interview is kinda terrifying.
Masuda does insist, many times, that this game is for kids, which is fine, we knew. (Stupid kids, though, but that's another discussion.)

The questions were very good, in particular:

What would you say to those players who are crying out for a bit more of a challenge, maybe adult players who've been playing for these 20 years or who got into it a bit later? Should they wait for next year's RPG instead?

The answer is worrying.
I mean, the interviewer tries to nudge Masuda toward a reassuring answer, "just wait for next year guys!" but... it never comes.
No reassurance. Just "you can fight a Grimer Master Trainer, my dudes!".

Joke post?

Do you really expect him to say something like "yeah, don't buy this game, wait for next years game!"

Didn't read the interview, but you make it sound like the interviewer is extremely naive.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Pokémon reveals in Spring are as sure as the Sun rising everyday. Same for the game releasing the week before Black Friday.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Its gonna sell well. I'm in cuz trainer customization is in and I wanna experience this experiment of a Pokemon game for myself. Lol

But at the same time... I don't want them to let Let's Go become the new standard for remakes.
It's going to do well, undoubtedly

I don't think it's going to do as well as they want it to do

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Okay, thanks for answering that - even if I can't say it until everyone already knows! So last time we spoke, back at the Let's Go reveal in Japan, the topic of open-world Nintendo Switch games came up, like Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, and you mentioned that there's a possibility that one day Pokémon might follow suit. I know that's purposefully vague, but is that still something that's being considered? Is that something that you see one day happening on the Switch?

Junichi Masuda: Well you know in general, I always want to be kind of facing new challenges and trying to you know, do new things with Pokémon. You know it's a different matter whether players will actually enjoy that kind of playstyle, but really you know, things like setting up an AI so that you know real world Pokémon appear, or different ways to appreciate the game, I'm always kind of thinking how to approach the Pokémon series from a different aspect so, in that sense, it's still on the cards.

Does anyone actually believe we will see an Open-World Pokemon like that?

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
That egg comment is hilarious. Gen 1 didn't have eggs so it would be weird to throw em in and all the babies, and uh I guess proper evos as well because the evolution methods also didn't exist. But Mega Evos and Alolan Variants, which rely on abilities which are also nonexistent cahse Gen 1 rolls like that? Totally fucking fine! Can someone explain how gamefreak can pump out something so unfocused?
It sounds like Masuda is saying that fancier graphic allowed them to put less effort into games. Suddenly it explains a lot about the sharp drop in quality from gen 5 to 6.

I guess I better strap in for annoying peppy rival character...hopefully he won't be as bad as Hau, Wally or urgh the group of idiots in gen 6.

At least with Hau, in Ultra Sun and Moon, they at least broke the cycle of him having only 4 Pokémon as the last rival to have a full team was Barry in gen 4...I miss Barry he was cool.

Gladion is cool but woefully underdeveloped in the game and his change in personalty just comes out of no-where.
Graphics and Online.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I've just finished reading the interview..

This game was created with the mindset of a mobile game, it shows clearly in the interview, this is absolutely bad imo since it's on a console and being sold for 60$ and I almost 100% sure that this game originally was going to be a mobile game but plans changed fast and I honestly wish it was.

Also the way he does not actually answer some of the questions is just bad.

he doesn't even know what's the meaning of the "challenge".

Masuda lost it completely and i hope he never gets involved in any future main games, he should make games for the mobile instead.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Sun and Moon are probably my favourite games in the series and as Ohmori is (likely) also directing the 8th generation entires, which already entered production before Let's Go did, I'm not worried at all about any effect this game will have on the future of the series.
Remember even half of the internal Game Freak team were against Masuda on some of the changes he wanted to implement here.
This is just a side-step which will surely become a side-series of sorts (I know it's a mainline game) but I'm fully confident of the 'main' series continuing to improve in the future.

The fact that Ohmori is directing (probably), it's (presumably) on a new bespoke Switch engine, has been in production for years and the visual quality of Town I actually have a feeling the 8th Gen will be pretty spectacular...

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sun and Moon are probably my favourite games in the series and as Ohmori is (likely) also directing the 8th generation entires, which already entered production before Let's Go did, I'm not worried at all about any effect this game will have on the future of the series.
Remember even half of the internal Game Freak team were against Masuda on some of the changes he wanted to implement here.
This is just a side-step which will surely become a side-series of sorts (I know it's a mainline game) but I'm fully confident of the 'main' series continuing to improve in the future.

The fact that Ohmori is directing (probably), it's (presumably) on a new bespoke Switch engine, has been in production for years and the visual quality of Town I actually have a feeling the 8th Gen will be pretty spectacular...
If Masuda is still the producer, then we'll still have to deal with some of his weird decisions

Cengizhan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The Netherlands

I'm really so flabbergasted by the upper management of the Pokémon franchise. Be it Ishihara or Masuda. I feel like they just don't understand what the fans want out of the franchise.

Because it's a whole lot of nothing.

It's a "who knows what the future holds" scenario

That was more the vibe I got from the Eurogamer interview. In the The Verge interview it really feels like Masuda is betting on this big time.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really so flabbergasted by the upper management of the Pokémon franchise. Be it Ishihara or Masuda. I feel like they just don't understand what the fans want out of the franchise.

That was more the vibe I got from the Eurogamer interview. In the The Verge interview it really feels like Masuda is betting on this big time.
I can't complain to much about Ishihara. Everything that's not the mainline games are handled pretty decently (maybe not the anime). The game freak games are the point of contention for me

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Never played or watched the Pokémon series, but my gf saw a screenshot of "Let's Go" & is interested in playing some Pokémon on my Switch.

A lot of time has passed since this Reveal & I'm wondering if majority Era (pages 1-10, lots of people were upset) would still be skipping "Let's Go" for the core Pokémon title releasing late 2019? I wish another poll could be done.

An early thanks to all replies!
I will probably end up buying Let's Go eventually for collection reasons, but Game Freak has given me ample motivation to put that off as long as possible.
Yeah, this is deeply concerning. This seems to confirm that Game Freak really is attempting to replace the main series with Let's Go.
I can't complain to much about Ishihara. Everything that's not the mainline games are handled pretty decently (maybe not the anime). The game freak games are the point of contention for me
The spin-off games have been pretty sub-par on the whole for a while now. Especially with how many of them are pure time wasting mobile trash at this point. There are still decent ones, but they're much more in the minority than I'd like.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The spin-off games have been pretty sub-par on the whole for a while now. Especially with how many of them are pure time wasting mobile trash at this point. There are still decent ones, but they're much more in the minority than I'd like.
Unfortunately, a lot of the more interesting games have died out. Ranger, PokePark, hell it doesn't look like we'll even get a Pokken sequel

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
So much for the quarantine theory.

Pokken is good. Go is obviously Go. I guess Detective Pikachu was considered decent. What other good spin-offs have there been as of late?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aonuma never made a game akin to the Sonic 06 of the Zelda series, because none of the main Zelda games are of abysmal quality save for Spirit Tracks and maybe Phantom Hourglass, but I think that's mainly due to the hardware. The 3DS wasn't really the reason why ORAS/XY sucked so bad since SM proved a decent game could be made with the hardware even if they sucked at making the game run smoothly in 3D. Then again, Four Swords Adventures was a dreadful thing with an art style that made zero sense, so sometimes even the greatest can make missteps... Sadly, I don't think as long as Masuda and Co are in charge, the main issues plaguing modern Pokemon will go away, at least not unless they take the fans seriously. I hope the USUM backlash in Japan will lead to them re-evaluating their stance on third versions at least and they'll go the DLC route.

Eh, hold up, Spirit Tracks is one of the best Zelda games and i won't be having you besmirch its name.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the spin-offs for the most part have moved to mobile. A lot of them end up being discontinued but I wouldn't be surprised if they still made more money than the older spin-offs.

Pokken is a weird one because it seemed to be TPC's attempt at entering the FGC. There's a dedicated community but it doesn't seem to be as popular as they hoped.

Another reason is probably that HAL stopped making Pokemon titles after the first Ranger game and Creatures' video game team pretty much became a support studio for the main series. Detective Pikachu was their first new title in over 6 years. Genius Sonority was downsized to less than 30 people sometime after PBR's release.

I'm surprised that they haven't tried to make another TCG game since I don't think TCG Online is supported in Japan.

Last edited:

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There was something about collecting 151 badges from "Master Trainers" or whatever. It's a little vague and doesn't really say anything of what the trainers have just that they'd award a Squirtle Badge or something